Best TV Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Walking Dead: The Complete Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$42.99
22 hrs ago
Scenes from a Marriage (Blu-ray)
$37.97
23 hrs ago
The Original Christmas Classics Anniversary Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$12.56
11 hrs ago
Doctor Who: Tom Baker - Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
$48.99

Rick and Morty: Season 3 (Blu-ray)
$17.99

Aura Battler Dunbine: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$57.19

Doctor Who: The Complete Tenth Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Mobile Suit Gundam 00 Special Edition OVA (Blu-ray)
$34.29

Orange Is the New Black: Season Five (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Knight's & Magic: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$43.49
12 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows

Old 01-01-2018, 04:16 PM   #81
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2009
Springfield, IL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SleeperAgent View Post
The first episode felt like a very in depth retrofit of the Christmas episode with Jon Hamm. How he would make the copies to run peoples houses and they thought they were real.

There were a number of unbelieveable thing (in their own universes rules) in it that bothered me.
[Show spoiler]Why would having someone's dna grant you access to the entirety of their memories? Why would an employee rob her own bosses house just because someone hacked some naughty photos? You're going from victim to actual criminal. Why did the crew hitting the update strand the captain and then kill him in real life? They never explain why he couldn't just end the game like usual. And why weren't these "rogue code" characters deleted? It makes no sense to say they got updated and it stripped away the mod but characters made from stolen dna would be allowed....

It's definitely nitpicking, but if you're going to setup rules for your episode, at least follow them yourself. The cast did a fantastic job, regardless of the sub-par writing.
[Show spoiler]The memories from DNA bothered me as well, but I can overlook it. And I don’t think the captain died in real life. I figured he was stuck in the emptiness until the battery died on the head button or someone shows up at his house and turns the system off.
Old 01-02-2018, 03:53 AM   #82
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Plateau of Leng

This was definitely the weakest season. 3 of the episodes basically dealt with the same techno-paranoia which seems just like crappy writing. Hopefully next season doesn't use half of it's time dealing with the morality of generated/copied/uploaded people who aren't real.

Metalhead was the best of the episodes. Kept it's mystery the whole time and didn't explain much.

Arkangel is the most disturbing, as we are actively sprinting towards those implants becoming a reality. I mean we already have gps for kids. Only a matter of time before that gets more intrusive.
I fight for free speech. Opposing free speech is Fascism.

My Trade thread
Old 01-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #83

Jan 2011
Michigan

I still need to get to this. It has been on my list, but keeps getting pushed down when other things come out.
SEARCHING:
POP! Heisenberg (Blue Crystal)
POP! Jesse Pinkman (Beat Up)
Trick 'R Treat Slip Cover
Best Buy WALL-E Steel Book
Old 01-03-2018, 08:52 PM   #84
Expert Member

Aug 2012

Hang the DJ...I'm a sucker for good romance and this one had me going. LOVED IT.
"Biologically speaking, the butt is a nut."
Thanks given by:
TheProf89 (01-08-2018), tylerdurden10 (01-06-2018)
Old 01-03-2018, 10:43 PM   #85
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2013
Gotham City

I decided to give this show a shot during the weekend. Wow, I love it so far.

Since they are stand alone eps, I'm jumping around seasons. I've seen about 8-9 eps.

From Season 4 I saw USS McCallister & Hang the DJ, both excellent.

My favorite episode of the ones I've seen is from Season 1, The Entire History of You.
Thanks given by:
TheProf89 (01-08-2018)
Old 01-06-2018, 03:11 PM   #86
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeker View Post
I decided to give this show a shot during the weekend. Wow, I love it so far.

Since they are stand alone eps, I'm jumping around seasons. I've seen about 8-9 eps.

From Season 4 I saw USS McCallister & Hang the DJ, both excellent.

My favorite episode of the ones I've seen is from Season 1, The Entire History of You.
PSA: DO NOT watch the last episode of S4 until you have watched the rest, I won't explain why because spoilers, you'll understand.

I liked a lot about this season, but there were a few issues that where hang ups, but nothing major. overall still very well done.

For Arkangel those was I the only one who thought after the initial introduction of the premise, the entire thing was filled with cliches and was utterly predictable?
I mean it was well acted and shot, especially the shot walking by the dog, but overall it just seemed predictable to the letter.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:36 PM   #87
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by bfett9 View Post
PSA: DO NOT watch the last episode of S4 until you have watched the rest, I won't explain why because spoilers, you'll understand.

I liked a lot about this season, but there were a few issues that where hang ups, but nothing major. overall still very well done.

For Arkangel those was I the only one who thought after the initial introduction of the premise, the entire thing was filled with cliches and was utterly predictable?
I mean it was well acted and shot, especially the shot walking by the dog, but overall it just seemed predictable to the letter.
I didn't think it was a problem that Arkangel was predictable.
[Show spoiler]Of course you know where this is going as soon as the mother starts using the tablet, it was the inevitability which made me squirm when she can't stop herself. On one level it's perfectly understandable because as a parent you want to keep your kids safe but on another level the breach of trust is totally screwed up.

Old 01-06-2018, 03:51 PM   #88
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
I didn't think it was a problem that Arkangel was predictable.
[Show spoiler]Of course you know where this is going as soon as the mother starts using the tablet, it was the inevitability which made me squirm when she can't stop herself. On one level it's perfectly understandable because as a parent you want to keep your kids safe but on another level the breach of trust is totally screwed up.

[Show spoiler]I mean I've already seen the over reaching parent going though kids cellphone or email trope etc. in a lot of other stuff already. The only thing reaching about it in this instance was the fact that she had full access to her child's entire mind more or less. And from there I guess in your own mind your like "don't do that!" but you know from a narrative standpoint that is where the conflict is going to stem from. And from there it wasn't to hard to see how it would break the relationship with the daughter.

The most interesting aspect of the entire aspect was the fact that the girl was initially doing herself self harm, because she had no comprehension of pain, anger, fear, suffering etc. Again you had that moment of "oh no!" But at the same time I think it explained something very profound about how parents should not block everything bad in the world from their children or there will have a terrible or warped perception of pain and other issues.
Old 01-06-2018, 03:59 PM   #89
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

Quote:
[Show spoiler]

The most interesting aspect of the entire aspect was the fact that the girl was initially doing herself self harm, because she had no comprehension of pain, anger, fear, suffering etc. Again you had that moment of "oh no!" But at the same time I think it explained something very profound about how parents should not block everything bad in the world from their children or there will have a terrible or warped perception of pain and other issues.
I agree and the episode could probably have taken that further.
Old 01-06-2018, 04:25 PM   #90
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

Out of Season 4 ranked
  • U.S.S Callister
  • Arkangel
  • Metalhead
  • Hang the DJ
  • Crocodile
  • Black Museum

Hang the DJ went up after sleeping on it, mainly because of how good the centeral couple are. Only really didn’t like Black Museum, not a fan of the “anthology within an anthology” episodes, but at least the Christmas one had a reason for it, this one just sort of felt like a string of ideas they couldn’t make into a full episode. Not to say it was bad, it was just a bit have your cake and eat it. Overall I actually liked this Season more so than the third.
"Film lovers are sick people." - François Truffaut
[FADE TO BLACK]
Old 01-06-2018, 04:37 PM   #91
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2013
Gotham City

Quote:
PSA: DO NOT watch the last episode of S4 until you have watched the rest,
[Show spoiler] I won't explain why because spoilers, you'll understand.

Too late. I think I had seen enough episodes to pick out a few of the easter eggs Probably having seen Black Museum so close to White Christmas made me enjoy it less but still I liked the episode.
Old 01-06-2018, 05:09 PM   #92
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2008
Berlin, Germany

1. USS Callister
2. Hang the DJ
3. Metalhead
4. Crocodile
5. Arkangel
6. Black Museum

I liked them all. Black Museum had me worried as it went on, but I thought the end made sense of the anthology nature of the episode. I thought this was a more consistent season than the last one. I hope there will be more seasons, because Black Mirror has just gotten better as it went on. I wasn't that keen on it when it started out.
Old 01-06-2018, 11:32 PM   #93
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2009
MA

I just discovered this series for the 1st time this week, and of course I already binged every episode.

I'm shocked it took me this long to discover it, especially considering my love for shows similar to the Twilight Zone. I will say though, when the show is at it's best, there are some fantastic episodes, but the ones that aren't so great, are REALLY bad.

Here is my favorites so far, and the ones I hated the most:

Top 5:

1. White Christmas
2. Shut Up & Dance
3. Hang The D.J.
4. Be Right Back
5. The National Anthem

Worst 5:

1. The Waldo Moment
2. Fifteen Million Merits
3. Crocodile
4. Metalhead
5. Men Against Fire

One more thing, the episode "Nosedive" REALLY enraged me, but at the same time it was effective. Does that make sense? lol
Three pitchers of beer & you still can't ask?
Old 01-06-2018, 11:55 PM   #94

May 2013
Wales

Blitzed through all of Season 4 a couple of days ago and I loved it.

Enjoyed S4 more than S3 overall, I still haven't finished watching S3, still have the last episode to watch.

Hang the DJ was by far my favourite episode of season 4, which I absolutely was not expecting at all but I loved the story, the main characters and the two leads were fantastic.

As much as I love the seeing the typical Black Mirror
[Show spoiler]bad endings, it's nice to see the rare happy ending from time to time (although I didn't love S3's San Junipero as much as a lot of people did) and I've now had "Panic" by The Smiths in my head for days!

It's been a long time since I last watched season 1 and 2, but I don't really recall disliking any episodes. Definitely hope we get another couple of seasons.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:19 PM   #95
Expert Member

Aug 2015

Loved the season overall. like all anthology series' it lives and dies on the amount of good over bad episodes.
Ranking for season 4best to least)
1.USS Callister
2.Hang the DJ
3.Black Museum
4.Arkangel
5.Crocodile
6.Metalhead

Season 3
1. San Junipero
2. Shut Up and Dance
3. Nosedive
4. Playtest
5. Men Against Fire
6. Hated in the Nation

Season 2
1. Be Right Back
2. Christmas Special
3. White Bear
4. The Waldo Moment

Season 1
1.The Entire History Of You
2. Fifteen Million Merits
3. National Anthem

For me Season 4 was a definite step up. Metalhead was for me the weakest episode and even that was so/so. Season 3 remains the weakest of the season with Men Against Fire, Most Hated in the Nation and Playtest being episodes that I actually know I will never go back too.

After watching Crocodile I was worried that Black Mirror was going to focus solely on the bleak but they surprised me with Hang the DJ. (I am a bit of a softie)
We have entered into a great time for collectors. Rather than focus on the casuals it's become a great time for cinephiles. It's a golden age of movie collecting.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:38 PM   #96
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2008
Calgary, Alberta

Not really going through this thread cause spoilers, but just watched the first episode.

Wasn't sure at first - and I get a lot of the negativity in terms of it not 'feeling' like Black Mirror - but I enjoyed it. Loved them making fun of Star Trek (although I still think John Belushi makes the best Captain Kirk). Lots of funny parts and chicky was oddly mesmerizing to watch.

That said, I thought I read somewhere that this is no longer a British produced show. Is that true? If so, this season will likely be shite.
Modern
Panasonic TC-P65ZT60 TV
Pioneer BDP-85FD Blu-Ray
Pioneer SC-67 Receiver
Old School
Pioneer Kuro PDP-5020FD TV
Pioneer HLD-X9 Laserdisc Player
Thanks given by:
darry (01-20-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 01:46 PM   #97
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pondosinatra View Post
Not really going through this thread cause spoilers, but just watched the first episode.

Wasn't sure at first - and I get a lot of the negativity in terms of it not 'feeling' like Black Mirror - but I enjoyed it. Loved them making fun of Star Trek (although I still think John Belushi makes the best Captain Kirk). Lots of funny parts and chicky was oddly mesmerizing to watch.

That said, I thought I read somewhere that this is no longer a British produced show. Is that true? If so, this season will likely be shite.
It’s the same production company (World of Tomorrow, or something like that) and there’s a UK tinged episodes, Hang the DJ, Crocodile and Metalhead are all UK based, and Black Museum is set in America but predominantly UK cast.
"Film lovers are sick people." - François Truffaut
[FADE TO BLACK]
Thanks given by:
Pondosinatra (01-10-2018)
Old 01-10-2018, 03:56 PM   #98
Expert Member

Dec 2013
Canada

I mentioned this before, but wanted to bring it up again - for those with DV-capable sets, are the episodes displaying as HDR10 or DV? I don't know if they've fixed it yet, but 5/6 episodes are playing in HDR10; only one of them is outputting DV.
Old 01-20-2018, 03:14 AM   #99
Special Member

Mar 2012

I've watched the first three episodes and they're definitely the worst episodes I have seen of this series. The first was ok, second a bit meh but the third. Wow, that is bad. Kind of just depressing and the sci-fi is almost irrelevant. Last seasons episodes were actually quite good compared to this. Gonna slog it out and see if the next ones are any good.

Last edited by darry; 01-20-2018 at 03:19 AM.
Old 01-20-2018, 08:45 PM   #100
Blu-ray Ninja

Jun 2011
United Kingdom

I thought this was a great season. Apart form metal heads which I though was a bit weak all the other episodes weee great. My fav was probably Black Museum, which appears to go against the general consensus, but hey ho ��

Never half-ass two things. Whole-ass one thing

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > TV Shows