Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
€21.90
23 hrs ago
Dunkirk (Blu-ray)
€12.19

Transformers: The Last Knight 3D (Blu-ray)
€15.00

Burn Out (Blu-ray)
€10.99

Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
€16.74

Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Kingsman: The Secret Service + Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
€19.99

Kingsman: The Golden Circle (Blu-ray)
€18.70

Wonder Woman 4K (Blu-ray)
€25.00

It (Blu-ray)
€20.00

La Plančte des singes: La trilogie (Blu-ray)
€24.99

Creature Designers - The Frankenstein Complex (Blu-ray)
€8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France

Old 10-06-2017, 08:26 PM   #41

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SMOOT View Post
The images on dvdBeaver look great.

What do you think of the Blu-ray even with the music ?

I'm actually tempted despite the high price (when you add shipping),
as the frame grabs really look excellent.
I'm beginning to think the France site is more than a little inactive --

Is this because of the high shipping costs from France to the USA ?
Old 10-06-2017, 11:57 PM   #42
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Quote:
What do you think of the Blu-ray even with the music ?
I returned it. The music is completely pasted on. It doesn't even match the mood of the scenes well. It's a shame because it's a great transfer.

Elephant hasn't been releasing stuff that isn't available in the US or UK lately. That's why France hasn't been on my radar.
Thanks given by:
SMOOT (10-07-2017)
Old 10-07-2017, 03:05 PM   #43

Oct 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
I returned it. The music is completely pasted on. It doesn't even match the mood of the scenes well. It's a shame because it's a great transfer.

Elephant hasn't been releasing stuff that isn't available in the US or UK lately. That's why France hasn't been on my radar.
I hope we get 1932 Murders in the Rue Morgue in the USA

Would be fun to have both audio tracks just for reference,
but the original is the important one

I was really stunned at how nice the frame grabs looked on dvdbeaver.
Old 10-07-2017, 05:17 PM   #44
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

The problem with the music is that it stands out like a sore thumb. It doesn't match the mood of the scenes and the style of music sounds like the mid-40s, not the early 30s. Elephant said on their Facebook that they were looking into getting the right master from Universal for updated discs, but I guess that isn't happening. The added music is so obvious, I can't believe DVD Beaver needed someone else to tell them about it. The second the music started, I knew something was wrong.
Old 10-07-2017, 11:27 PM   #45

Oct 2007

Quote:
The problem with the music is that it stands out like a sore thumb. It doesn't match the mood of the scenes and the style of music sounds like the mid-40s, not the early 30s. Elephant said on their Facebook that they were looking into getting the right master from Universal for updated discs, but I guess that isn't happening. The added music is so obvious, I can't believe DVD Beaver needed someone else to tell them about it. The second the music started, I knew something was wrong.
Bizarre. It's like Universal is experimenting with France and then giving the USA the fully restored stuff.

For the image quality, I was interested in buying this despite the music,
but the shipping cost was way over the top. Like burning money.
Old 10-08-2017, 01:43 AM   #46
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

This music was added for a theatrical re-release in the mid 40s or so. Universal just grabbed the wrong soundtrack. It's kind of surprising that no one caught it in the mastering process, but I guess in France they aren't as familiar with the film as we are here. This particular film had music over the titles and should have no underscore.
Old 10-08-2017, 11:42 PM   #47

Oct 2007

Quote:
This music was added for a theatrical re-release in the mid 40s or so. Universal just grabbed the wrong soundtrack. It's kind of surprising that no one caught it in the mastering process, but I guess in France they aren't as familiar with the film as we are here. This particular film had music over the titles and should have no underscore.
Do we know who or what distributor re-released the fim with this music ?

Is it similar to the odd music version of Lugosi's "Dracula" that popped up on Svengoolie (and, of course, not meaning the Philip Glass score) ?
Old 01-02-2018, 08:42 PM   #48
Power Member

Nov 2008
Victorville, CA

Quote:
Do we know who or what distributor re-released the fim with this music ?

Is it similar to the odd music version of Lugosi's "Dracula" that popped up on Svengoolie (and, of course, not meaning the Philip Glass score) ?
Yes, it's just like that version of Dracuila, probably done at the same time period by Universal. It was the Fench release. In fact, you probably have it -- check the French audio track on Dracula and you'll hear a music scrore where there wasn't one.

I actually like it. It's certainly a better fit than the Glass score. Haven't heard the score on Rue Morgue yet, but I would welcome it as an extra. It certainly brings some life to Dracula.
Thanks given by:
SMOOT (01-03-2018)
Old 01-07-2018, 10:20 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

Unfortunately the music on Rue Morgue is arbitrary needle drop. It doesn't really follow the action on the scene. Not well edited either.
Old 01-08-2018, 09:53 PM   #50

Oct 2007

Quote:
Unfortunately the music on Rue Morgue is arbitrary needle drop. It doesn't really follow the action on the scene. Not well edited either.
Did you think the image quality of Murders in the Rue Morgue was as good as Universal Classic Monster Blu-rays in the USA, or is this one still in need of further restoration to achieve that level ?
Old 01-09-2018, 08:02 AM   #51

Sep 2015
UK

Quote:
Did you think the image quality of Murders in the Rue Morgue was as good as Universal Classic Monster Blu-rays in the USA, or is this one still in need of further restoration to achieve that level ?
In my opinion it's right up there. Gorgeous transfer.
Most Wanted Blu-Rays:
The Tenant; The Fearless Vampire Killers; Julius Caesar (Brando); full Val Lewton collection; The Caretaker; Reflections in a Golden Eye; Prince of the City; The Fugitive Kind; The Letter (Wyler); Little Murders; The Parallax View; Klute; Play It Again, Sam; Smile (Ritchie); The Satanic Rites of Dracula; The Abominable Snowman; The Landlord (Ashby); Targets (Bogdanovich); Sweet Bird of Youth (Brooks); The Night of the Iguana (Huston); The House by the River (Lang)
Thanks given by:
SMOOT (01-11-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > France