Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Ant-Man and the Wasp 3D (Blu-ray)
€27.99
3 hrs ago
The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
€29.99

Death Wish (Blu-ray)
€14.99
9 hrs ago
The Prince of Egypt (Blu-ray)
€10.99

The Meg (Blu-ray)
€16.99

Spiral: Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
€10.79

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
€20.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp 4K (Blu-ray)
€32.99

The Big Lebowski 4K (Blu-ray)
€27.99
8 hrs ago
Rampage (Blu-ray)
€14.99

King Arthur: Legend of the Sword (Blu-ray)
€7.97
14 hrs ago
Twin Dragons (Blu-ray)
€13.99
13 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 08-23-2017, 08:55 PM   #1

Feb 2009
California
Default Invader Zim - Complete Series SD

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Invade...lu-ray/177985/

Just found out about this. Anyone know if it plays in region A? Seems like it has an English 2.0 track.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:23 AM   #2
Expert Member

Jul 2011
NY

Apparently it's Region B locked. I ordered a copy just the other day, funnily enough. Should be here in a week or two. I'm very curious to see what it's like.
Old 08-24-2017, 12:31 AM   #3

Feb 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvalda View Post
Apparently it's Region B locked. I ordered a copy just the other day, funnily enough. Should be here in a week or two. I'm very curious to see what it's like.
Let us know what it's like! I'm wondering if there's any benefit to owning it over the DVD versions besides shelf space. Also wondering if it includes the special features from Disc 4 (probably not).
Old 08-24-2017, 12:38 AM   #4
Expert Member

Jul 2011
NY

It includes these features:
  • Audiocomments (English, without subtitle)
  • Interviews with the producers, authors and speakers (English, optional German subtitle)
  • Uncut version of "The Most Horrible X-Mas Ever" (English, optional German subtitle)
  • Invader ZIM Sounddesign (English, optional German subtitle)
  • Unpublished audio material (7 episodes) (English, optional German subtitle)
  • Original pilot sequence (English, optional German subtitle)
  • Animated storyboards for almost all episodes

So it has quite a bit of stuff, including the unproduced episode audio, which I've never heard before since I never bought that ridiculous house DVD set, so that should be fun.

The only thing I'm worried about is if the onscreen text in the episode credits and things will be in German, which would be mildly annoying--but then this is a German release probably using the German broadcast master, so I only have myself to blame if so, ha.
Old 08-24-2017, 02:13 PM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2013
South Bay CA

Please also provide your thoughts on audio and picture quality. Thanks!
Old 08-28-2017, 04:28 PM   #6
Expert Member

Jul 2011
NY

It arrived. I haven't watched in depth, but I had a look at the first episode. First, it's what I thought--these are the German broadcast versions, so when the title comes up at the start of the episode, it's translated into German (the other credits, like "Created by Jhonen Vasquez" are untouched). The transfers are standard def PAL derived, of course, and while I didn't notice any ghosting, there is quite a bit of noticeable macroblocking. All the features seem to be present, so for $20 shipped from Amazon.de it's a decent deal, but hopefully the US will get something better to coincide with the release of the new movie. I didn't check if it's Region Free, will do that tonight.
Thanks given by:
hockeyshark91 (09-15-2017), LRSVDR (08-29-2017)
Old 08-29-2017, 12:56 AM   #7

Feb 2009
California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvalda View Post
It arrived. I haven't watched in depth, but I had a look at the first episode. First, it's what I thought--these are the German broadcast versions, so when the title comes up at the start of the episode, it's translated into German (the other credits, like "Created by Jhonen Vasquez" are untouched). The transfers are standard def PAL derived, of course, and while I didn't notice any ghosting, there is quite a bit of noticeable macroblocking. All the features seem to be present, so for $20 shipped from Amazon.de it's a decent deal, but hopefully the US will get something better to coincide with the release of the new movie. I didn't check if it's Region Free, will do that tonight.
Do you think it's possible the macroblocking effect is due to your display's handling of the 480p content, or something else in the chain processing the signal?
Old 08-29-2017, 09:25 PM   #8

Dec 2014

Had a conversation about this with Cvalda recently and I thought I'd throw in what I anecdotally remember.
When the first DVD release was prepared with Media Blasters they where well in touch with the fan community on roomwithamoose about 2003-2004ish and I was around there too.
Take this with a grain of salt, I do not remember things exactly and some stuff might be false memories or things I heard somewhere else, so please don't hold me accountable for any of this. Maybe things are still readable over at roomwithamoose, dunno.

From what I remember Nickelodeon gave Zim away relatively cheap to Media Blasters and what they provided was broadcasting tapes (NTSC I assume). Nothing else.
All the bonus stuff, artwork, commentaries, interviews, music, etc. probably went through Media Blasters and all the involved cast and artists directly, no Nick involvement at all, as far as I know.
I think that's how the censored broadcasting versions of some episodes ended up on the initial release.

The German DVD and Blu-Ray sets stem from the German broadcasting tapes or files as I have heard somewhere.
And as far as I know the German broadcasting is converted from the same NTSC broadcasting tapes that must have have been provided to Media Blasters.
So I assume that the German versions are one generation down from the NTSC broadcasting version. (No idea how they handled the text on the title cards though.)

Zim must have been composed and rendered in SD digitally. At least all the production art and elements I ever saw where just SD.
So I think Nickelodeon must have stored or archived these original renders somewhere before they where put on final broadcasting tapes.
Those where the files that we would want on any future Blu-Ray release!
Until recently Nick probably didn't care enough to go down the archive lane.
But with Zim having second life in comics and the upcoming movie I really really hope they consider going there.
Thanks given by:
Cvalda (08-30-2017), hockeyshark91 (09-15-2017)
Old 01-10-2018, 07:19 AM   #9

Jun 2016

It's been quite a time since the product was created, so don't remember the sources. I just checked our archival HDD and the episodes have title cards by VSI, a large chain for dubbing etc.

So it's correct that we used the German PAL masters which were produced for TV; I do not know about censorship or versions used. Keep in mind that for e.g. REN & STIMPY, German masters were almost uncut (although of lower quality because of NTSC -> PAL conversions done in the early 1990s; this is why we, where appropriate, used the NTSC masters directly) and not identical to the US masters prepped for syndication.

I checked the masters and they definitely look like NTSC -> PAL conversions, but they look pretty good (and I usually complain about such conversions, so they are ok, really).

And yes, to my knowledge the source format of the DI is SD, NTSC (525 60i that is).
Thanks given by:
knifethrower (01-11-2018), LRSVDR (01-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany