Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
€29.99
14 hrs ago
The Prince of Egypt (Blu-ray)
€10.99
11 hrs ago
The Meg (Blu-ray)
€16.99
7 hrs ago
Rampage (Blu-ray)
€14.99

Spiral: Seasons 1-2 (Blu-ray)
€10.79

Pacific Rim: Uprising 4K (Blu-ray)
€20.99

Ant-Man and the Wasp 4K (Blu-ray)
€32.99
8 hrs ago
U2: iNNOCENCE + eXPERIENCE Live in Paris (Blu-ray)
€12.99

47 Meters Down (Blu-ray)
€6.99

The Patriot 4K (Blu-ray)
€26.97

The Death of Stalin (Blu-ray)
€12.99

X-Files: Season 11 (Blu-ray)
€25.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Old 03-04-2017, 01:02 AM   #21
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by timeschange View Post
Amazon say my discs will be here wednesday although European titles often arrive a day earlier than predicted.
As soon as the disc starts playing an episode it will be instantly possible to see if any of it was edited on tape.
It wasn't edited on tape...it's common knowledge it was shot on film.

Go read any review of the DVD, like this one:

Quote:
The show was clearly shot on film and this gives it a huge advantage over many of the videotaped shows from the same period.
Or just google some interviews. Here's one where Joe Dante talked about the huge differences between the 80s TWILIGHT ZONE revival -- which was edited on tape, and looked "cheap" -- and AMAZING STORIES, which wasn't:

Quote:
I’d already done an episode of AMAZING STORIES too, which made the new THE TWILIGHT ZONE look like poverty row.
and

Quote:
[80s Twilight Zone] was one of the first TV series edited on videotape.
Rest of the interview is here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/new...ode-shadow-man

Last edited by DMRI2006; 03-04-2017 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-04-2017, 02:45 AM   #22
Expert Member

May 2009

So how does the whole PAL speedup thing affect these "SD on Blu-ray" sets? There are a number of these now (Buck Rogers, Parker Lewis, etc) so I'm just wondering if the voices sound sped-up.

I know PAL doesn't have anything to do with digital itself, but if you start with a PAL master it would cause this problem, correct? There are a few blu-rays I have gotten from PAL countries (like FX and Scream from Australia) that did suffer from the sped-up high pitched voices.
Old 03-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #23
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
It wasn't edited on tape...it's common knowledge it was shot on film.

Go read any review of the DVD, like this one:

Or just google some interviews. Here's one where Joe Dante talked about the huge differences between the 80s TWILIGHT ZONE revival -- which was edited on tape, and looked "cheap" -- and AMAZING STORIES, which wasn't:

and

Rest of the interview is here:

http://www.comingsoon.net/horror/new...ode-shadow-man
Not refuting the claim, but none of this is proof it wasn't edited on tape, just that it was shot on film. The two are not mutually exclusive.
Old 03-05-2017, 06:51 AM   #24

Aug 2013

Tales From The Darkside and The New Twilight Zone were both shot on 16mm and edited on tape, which was already very commonplace by the mid-80s for lower-budget productions. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the credits, which look "video-y" (for lack of a bet phrase). On productions like these, film elements were often discarded either years later or right after the video master was finished. Joe Dante ha said this is why there'll never be an HD release of Eerie Indiana for example. Indeed, the only reason Pee-Wee's Playhouse was able to be remastered was because Paul Reubens studiously saved every bit of film himself off his own back, which shows a lot of foresight on his part!

Amazing Stories, being a bigger-budget Amblin/Universal production, was shot and edited on 35mm. The fact that three episodes were bunched together and released theatrically in 1987 as Amazing Stories: The Movie is testament to this. Despite this, Universal probably do not think remastering the series in HD is worth the money as it's never been a huge money-spinner for them.
Old 03-05-2017, 11:29 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
Tales From The Darkside and The New Twilight Zone were both shot on 16mm and edited on tape, which was already very commonplace by the mid-80s for lower-budget productions. The easiest way to tell is by looking at the credits, which look "video-y" (for lack of a bet phrase). On productions like these, film elements were often discarded either years later or right after the video master was finished. Joe Dante ha said this is why there'll never be an HD release of Eerie Indiana for example. Indeed, the only reason Pee-Wee's Playhouse was able to be remastered was because Paul Reubens studiously saved every bit of film himself off his own back, which shows a lot of foresight on his part!
Hmm... does that mean there is at least the possibility that either of those shows could be done in HD?
Old 03-06-2017, 01:49 AM   #26
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilJames View Post
Despite this, Universal probably do not think remastering the series in HD is worth the money as it's never been a huge money-spinner for them.
Again, I'm pretty certain these ran on Netflix in HD -- along with Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, etc. They could well have produced HD masters at the same time they released Season 1 on DVD, which appeared to have been freshly remastered and looked quite excellent.

That this German release only has PAL SD doesn't mean it doesn't exist...Germany has released other shows in SD like BUCK ROGERS which are in HD elsewhere.
Old 03-06-2017, 02:14 AM   #27

Nov 2010

french dvd cover looks pretty good https://www.amazon.fr/Histoires-fant...s+fantastiques
Old 03-06-2017, 04:34 AM   #28
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2009
Canada
-

Does anyone know if these come in the digibook/mediabook format (like SLIDERS or BIONIC WOMAN), or are they in regular amarays?
Old 03-06-2017, 10:10 AM   #29

Aug 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
Hmm... does that mean there is at least the possibility that either of those shows could be done in HD?
In theory it's possible, but only if a) the original 16mm film materials still exist, and b) if the copyright holders want to invest the significant time and costs it would take to remaster everything from scratch in HD. And if Paramount can't be bothered to remaster DS9 or Voyager for the 50th anniversary of Star Trek, why would they remaster Tales From The Darkside?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Again, I'm pretty certain these ran on Netflix in HD -- along with Incredible Hulk, Knight Rider, etc. They could well have produced HD masters at the same time they released Season 1 on DVD, which appeared to have been freshly remastered and looked quite excellent.
I certainly hope that's the case, though again, that's no indication a distributor would take the financial risk of releasing a Blu-Ray set. Also, the French DVD-only set gretzky2010 linked to (which looks very tempting indeed!) is from Elephant Films, who haven't hesitated to release any Universal titles they could get HD masters of on Blu-Ray. Again, I hope I'm wrong!
Old 03-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #30
Expert Member

Aug 2008
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatGreg View Post
Does anyone know if these come in the digibook/mediabook format (like SLIDERS or BIONIC WOMAN), or are they in regular amarays?
Old 03-08-2017, 01:55 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

GHOST TRAIN was the Spielberg-directed premiere episode and THE MISSION, the only other one he directed, aired in November that year. One of the rare hour-long episodes. It was, however, part of the AMAZING STORIES - THE MOVIE theatrical release overseas.

Another bit of trivia is THE AMAZING FALSWORTH was deemed "too intense" by NBC and ran on a different day at a later time slot than all the other episodes...think it was a Tuesday at 9:30. I remember because I had to let my parents let me stay up for it!

Quote:
Nice quality but one query. Several episodes have a notation next to it that translates as Remove Scene. Does that mean there is a deleted scene included that was removed for German broadcast or what does it mean?
The US DVD has deleted scenes that were never broadcast -- probably just the same ones.

Last edited by DMRI2006; 03-08-2017 at 02:09 PM.
Old 03-10-2017, 06:45 AM   #32

Jun 2016

Exactly. We don't know of any cuts for German broadcast; these are just deleted scenes that did not make it into the final episodes.
Old 03-10-2017, 09:02 PM   #33
Expert Member

Aug 2008
The Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbine View Post
Exactly. We don't know of any cuts for German broadcast; these are just deleted scenes that did not make it into the final episodes.
Is there a reason why the deleted scenes for the "Secret Cinema" episode which are available on at least the US and Dutch DVD releases are not included on the Blu-ray?
Old 01-10-2018, 08:05 AM   #34
Expert Member

Oct 2012

Turbine's SD on Blu-ray transfer looks like a high definition restoration in SD.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Germany

Tags
amazing stories, steven spielberg