Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Blu-ray)
$26.34
9 hrs ago
Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 09-29-2017, 08:34 AM   #41
Power Member

Jun 2008
Perth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brett C View Post
What is the bitrate of the DD track? If it is 384 or above it would be pretty close to being identical to the source for a 2.0, but if 192 was used, it will sound pretty underwhelming.
Fot some reason the video bitrate didn't scan but you can see the DD audio is 384 kbps.

Code:
Disc Title: BD_DAVID3617_DarkAge
Disc Size: 38,549,765,394 bytes
Protection: AACS
BD-Java: Yes
Playlist: 00004.MPLS
Size: 17,778,020,736 bytes
Length: 1:30:30.550
Total Bitrate: 26.19 Mbps
Video: MPEG-4 AVC Video / 0 kbps / 1080p / 23.976 fps / 16:9 / High Profile 4.1
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 384 kbps
Audio: English / Dolby Digital Audio / 2.0 / 48 kHz / 256 kbps
Subtitle: English / 19.000 kbps
That there is one damn fine coat you're wearing.

4K UHD - The Experts Agree, Occasionally it's a little better!

Wanted: The Deadly Spawn
Thanks given by:
Brett C (10-03-2017)
Old 10-04-2017, 03:24 AM   #42

Jul 2013
Melbourne

Quote:
Originally Posted by StrayButler91 View Post
I put the disc under the microscope for my review:
http://michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=11563
Nice work. An ex-Michaels reviewer here.
Thanks given by:
StrayButler91 (10-04-2017)
Old 11-11-2017, 11:39 PM   #43
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

A massive killer crocodile in the Australian Northern Territory terrorizes the riverside communities and exacerbates tensions tensions between local authorities and indigenous people. A conservation ranger, played by John Jarratt (Wolf Creek, Rogue), is caught in the middle as a man who is on friendly terms with the indigenous elders, who view the crocodile as a spirit creature representing their past, but is tasked by his superiors with killing the huge animal. All the while, several gun-toting drunk poachers decide to take matters into their own hands by hunting down and killing every crocodile in their path. The beautiful Nikki Coghill stars as an anthropologist who has a romantic past with Jarratt's character.

The 1987 Australian film, Dark Age, features perhaps the most unsettling crocodile killing that I have ever seen. Early in the film, a young indigenous boy is playing on the beach when the crocodile zeroes in on him. An audible cracking sound is heard when the creature closes its jaws down on the boy. Aside from this one nightmarish moment and a handful of crocodile poaching scenes, the film is viscerally tame, yet awesomely intense.

I love the spiritual components of Dark Age, when the story delves into the dances and traditions of the indigenous people regarding the crocodile legend. The always-amazing actor, David Gulpilil (The Right Stuff, The Proposition, Walkabout, The Last Wave), who is generally acknowledged by American moviegoers as the face of the indigenous Australians, and Burnham Burnham, who plays his father, lend a wonderful mystical edge to the proceedings.

The creature effects for the giant crocodile are quite convincing as far as practical effects go, thanks to restraint on the part of the filmmakers. Saltwater crocodiles really can get pretty big in Australia, and this fictional entity looks quite similar to footage that I've seen of the real thing.

I always enjoy catching “Ozploitation” films that never received proper recognition here on our shores. As such, my first viewing of Dark Age this weekend was quite a joy.

This Umbrella Blu-ray sports a naturally filmic transfer and an impressive audio presentation. The subtitles come in handy during a few scenes, and the wealth of special features is both informative and fun.

Last edited by The Great Owl; 11-11-2017 at 11:54 PM.
Thanks given by:
LordCrumb (11-12-2017), simonsherry (11-12-2017)
Old 01-13-2018, 06:07 PM   #44

May 2011
Around the World
Default "Dark Age" (Umbrella Entertainment) blu-ray

Hello.

I recently bought "Dark Age" on blu-ray from Umbrella Entertainment but thereīs a thing that bugs me.

My copy has some kind motion blur in some scenes in the movie and some of them are distracting... the end credits are a good reference.

Iīve read many reviews and they all categorized the picture quality has "very good" or "excellent" for such an old movie.

I donīt know if I have a bad copy or not... or maybe itīs just the way the blu-ray was released.

Can someone who has the movie give their thoughts?
Old 01-14-2018, 01:42 AM   #45
Special Member

Feb 2012
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Hello.

I recently bought "Dark Age" on blu-ray from Umbrella Entertainment but thereīs a thing that bugs me.

My copy has some kind motion blur in some scenes in the movie and some of them are distracting... the end credits are a good reference.

Iīve read many reviews and they all categorized the picture quality has "very good" or "excellent" for such an old movie.

I donīt know if I have a bad copy or not... or maybe itīs just the way the blu-ray was released.

Make sure TruMotion/motion smoothing is turned off in the settings on your TV. That’s probably the issue.
Old 01-14-2018, 01:53 PM   #46

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Make sure TruMotion/motion smoothing is turned off in the settings on your TV. That’s probably the issue.
The tv Iīm viewing it doesnīt have TruMotion/motion smoothing.
Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 AM   #47

Jan 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by springjack View Post
Hello.

I experienced some very distracting jittering almost throughout the movie. first time i noticed it was in the scene the three poachers prepare themselves in their shack to go out hunting. then it appeared more and more often. during the last half of the movie almost every camera movement showed some strange jittering movement of the persons on screen. This all seemed pretty minor (the jittering) but once you noticed it all you can see was jittering. it could be that itīs more noticeable while watching via projector on a big screen, but this kinda strange movement I have never seen before on any other disc.... and i have and watched a couple hundreds.

I knew that the AQ was just in poor DD, but.... taken the poor sound (and yes it is poor, even for DD) and the strange jittering in consideration, the disc is not recommendable!
Old 03-22-2018, 08:55 AM   #48

Jan 2017

Quote:
I put the disc under the microscope for my review:
http://michaeldvd.com.au/Reviews/Reviews.asp?ID=11563
Sorry, but my opinion varies quite extremy from yours.

PQ (2 out of 5), due to strange jittering movement almost throughout
AQ (1 out of 5), you can hear the dialogue okay (not good either), but the rest is way below average even for DD and even for being an "older" B-movie from downunder
Extras (2,5 out of 5)
Plot (2,5 out of 5)
Overall (2 out of 5)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia