Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: Duel in the Sun (Roadshow Edit… $13.33 (12% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay 4K (Blu-ray)
$18.90
The Boss Baby 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$10.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$7.88
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia

Old 01-16-2018, 01:00 AM   #1

Jul 2012
Default Sony BDPS-55500 Anyone had any success making DVD region free?

If so please share. I know to make this unit region free for blu-rays requires modding but one US company that charges for this service also sells region locked units with DVD region free as standard which leads me to believe that it's simply a universal remote code. They only charge $40 for the blu-ray modding..... but postage expensive
Old 01-16-2018, 01:12 AM   #2
Special Member

May 2009
Sydney Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by 15ofclubs View Post
If so please share. I know to make this unit region free for blu-rays requires modding but one US company that charges for this service also sells region locked units with DVD region free as standard which leads me to believe that it's simply a universal remote code. They only charge $40 for the blu-ray modding..... but postage expensive

if you are after region free for Blu - then most players require a remote control process to change .. but the major brand players usually require a modification chip/part :

Check out Gattiweb

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

note that there is a mod kit - otherwise you could send your player to them to get it done - however consider the cost of one that is already done !

Last edited by shireguy; 01-16-2018 at 01:17 AM.
Old 01-16-2018, 05:40 AM   #3

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireguy View Post
if you are after region free for Blu - then most players require a remote control process to change .. but the major brand players usually require a modification chip/part :

Check out Gattiweb

http://www.gattiweb.com/bluraymod.html

note that there is a mod kit - otherwise you could send your player to them to get it done - however consider the cost of one that is already done !
Thanks, have seen their region free players on eBay. Have been buying BDP-S5500 players under $100 including postage from Sony Seconds. Bought 3 for my mum & sister, & have 2 in my house, so 5 in total I want to try & make region free for dvd. I have Toshiba BDX3200KY players for all region blu & DVD play & first model Samsung 4k player which is also region locked for DVD.

Have seen Sony codes for unlocking DVD just not sure if will work for this model. Will just buy an AllForOne remote & try. Will post whether successful or not
Old 01-16-2018, 07:24 AM   #4

Sep 2016
Adelaide

Why dont you buy the Laser BD3000 $99 from most major retailers and its region free BD and DVD

Is there something special about the Sony BDPS-55500 ?
Old 01-16-2018, 07:26 AM   #5
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2016

Sony used to make literally all their BD players region-free for DVDs, what gives? My HTITB system is region-locked but I figured that's because it was a demo/floor stock one that I got for about half the retail price...
Old 01-16-2018, 08:16 AM   #6

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuckin_Walker View Post
Why dont you buy the Laser BD3000 $99 from most major retailers and its region free BD and DVD

Is there something special about the Sony BDPS-55500 ?
A little wary of cheap brand electricals. I had a few Lennox set top boxes once & all gave you an electric shock, ok tingles. I threw them out & bought Strong brand which were more expensive.

I like the Sony player for small profile, 3D, built in wi-fi, dedicated Netflix button that implies ongoing support, & current youtube app. My older BDP-S580 & BDP-S590 have only a few apps left after firmware updates, no longer supported by youtube or Netflix.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:19 AM   #7

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister_M View Post
Sony used to make literally all their BD players region-free for DVDs, what gives? My HTITB system is region-locked but I figured that's because it was a demo/floor stock one that I got for about half the retail price...
What gives indeed, was not impressed when I couldn't play oseas DVDs considering the previous 2 models BDP-S580 & BDP-S590 were both multi-region for DVD.
Old 01-16-2018, 08:27 AM   #8
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2016

The Laser players are actually the exact same hardware as Sony, made in the same factory if I'm not mistaken. I haven't heard anything other than positive reviews of that particular brand, so its probably not a bad investment for the price. I'm actively considering getting one solely for region-A compatibility.
Old 01-16-2018, 09:12 AM   #9
Expert Member

May 2013

Quote:
The Government cracked down on the companies modifying their players to be region free for DVDs sometime ago.

It may have had something to do with 'free trade agreements' as well as the big studios trying to force people to buy inferior local product.
Release me now on Blu Ray: The Music Lovers (1970), The Devils - Director's Cut (1971), Savage Messiah (1972), Andy Warhol's Bad (1977), Looking for Mr. Goodbar (1977), Providence (1977), Stevie (1978), Promises in the Dark (1979), When You Comin' Back Red Ryder (1979), Yanks (1979), Personal Best (1982), The Keep (1983), Star 80 (1983), Gaby (1987), The Witches (1990), Smoking/No Smoking (1993) & the entire filmographies of Aleksey Balabanov, Paul Cox, Derek Jarman & Rosa von Praunheim.
Thanks given by:
Alister_M (01-16-2018)
Old 01-16-2018, 09:37 AM   #10

Jul 2012

Quote:
The Laser players are actually the exact same hardware as Sony, made in the same factory if I'm not mistaken. I haven't heard anything other than positive reviews of that particular brand, so its probably not a bad investment for the price. I'm actively considering getting one solely for region-A compatibility.
Don't think is the same hardware as looks like doesn't support 3D, SACD & isn't wireless for streaming. I'd prefer buying a US model & using an Aussie power lead. Has external power supply with player supporting 110-240V
Old 01-17-2018, 05:27 AM   #11

May 2010
Melbourne, Australia

Another thumbs up for the Laser BD3000. I've used a few different name brand players and this is my favourite of them all. No quirks at all with this one. It also plays video files via USB without any issues. I've had Sony players that refuse to play certain audio codecs but this has no problems playing everything I throw at it. I believe it uses a Sony laser but not sure about the rest of it.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Australia