Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Amazonia (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray)
£4.49

Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
£6.99

The Quiet Earth (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Luke Cage: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£15.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

The Spiritual Boxer (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Samuel Fuller at Columbia, 1937-1961 (Blu-ray)
£49.99

Black Magic 2 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 04-01-2011, 04:26 AM   #21

Dec 2009

I thougt it looked great, haven't checked out the italian version on it though.
Old 04-01-2011, 02:31 PM   #22
Special Member

Apr 2009
Garland, TX

The Italian version looks pretty awful, but it is the best version out there I think. It is also an upconvert, but it is only treated as an extra, so it is forgivable, IMO.
TV - Panasonic TC-P50U50 | Blu-ray - Region Free Sony BDP-S3200 | Receiver - Onkyo TX-SR607 | Fronts - Infinity P363 Towers | Center - Infinity PC251 | Surrounds - Technics Towers| Sub - BIC America V1220
Old 08-17-2014, 10:09 PM   #23
Power Member

Jun 2014
Canada

Is this Arrow Blu-Ray of "A Bay Of Blood" region free?? I bought it yesterday off of Zavvi as I hope to have a region free Blu-Ray player in the next few weeks but I was wondering if I can play it in my North American PS3 until then??

I'm unsure though as Zavvi says it's Region B under the product info page. Or is that just a mistake on their part???
Old 08-18-2014, 06:02 AM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Tokyo

Yes, it is. It even has the ABC logo on the back

By the way, "Bay Of Blood" Blu-ray is currently part of the 2 for 10 at Amazon UK

Last edited by manicsounds; 08-18-2014 at 06:13 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 02:14 AM   #25
Power Member

Jun 2014
Canada

So I watched "A Bay Of Blood" today for the first time (I have the Limited Edition Arrow release) and I didn't really get the hype. I found the story jumped around too much and it basically became a farce of "she wants to kill him, he wants to kill her, but then another character wants to kill those two" lather rinse repeat. And that ending seemed really random and wtf-esque....

Admittedly, this was my first Bava film I've seen and while it was interesting to see how it blatantly influenced the slasher genre (and has been ripped off big time by Friday The 13th) I felt kind of let down. Is this a film I need to watch a few times to truly "get" or no??

I assume Bava's more Gothic works like "Black Sabbath" and "Black Sunday" are better and easier to follow plot-wise yes??? As I wanna add them both to my collection when I get my region free Blu-Ray player.
Old 09-01-2014, 05:13 AM   #26
Expert Member

Oct 2011
Suomi Finland Perkele

Quote:
Originally Posted by takeasneededforpain View Post
And that ending seemed really random and wtf-esque....
I actually stared at the TV flabbergasted for a moment before just throwing my hands towards the screen while shouting "WHAT!?".

Not many movies have had the ability to do that.

But yeah, a lot of the films notoriety has to do with the way some of the characters are killed, and the amount of alternate titles. The story is still pretty deep in giallo territory, but the film is considered to be a prototype of a slasher film and some of the death scenes are pretty much duped exactly in Friday the 13th part 2.

On another note, I just realized, I don't think I've watched the international version on mine yet, only the Italian...

Last edited by Takeshi666; 09-01-2014 at 05:18 AM.
Old 09-01-2014, 06:49 AM   #27
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
I assume Bava's more Gothic works like "Black Sabbath" and "Black Sunday" are better and easier to follow plot-wise yes??? As I wanna add them both to my collection when I get my region free Blu-Ray player.
The Gothic ones are certainly better, but in general Bava's films are not known for the tightness / cohesiveness of the plot. In fact his (IMO) best film Lisa & The Devil is one whimsical ride. But his films are remarkable for their amazing visual experience, dripping with atmosphere.
Old 09-01-2014, 04:11 PM   #28
Power Member

Jun 2014
Canada

Yeah I did enjoy the atmosphere of "A Bay Of Blood" a lot. There were some beautiful camera shots in it for sure.
Old 02-03-2018, 09:47 PM   #29
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
So I watched "A Bay Of Blood" today for the first time (I have the Limited Edition Arrow release) and I didn't really get the hype. I found the story jumped around too much and it basically became a farce of "she wants to kill him, he wants to kill her, but then another character wants to kill those two" lather rinse repeat. And that ending seemed really random and wtf-esque....

Admittedly, this was my first Bava film I've seen and while it was interesting to see how it blatantly influenced the slasher genre (and has been ripped off big time by Friday The 13th) I felt kind of let down. Is this a film I need to watch a few times to truly "get" or no??
I also just saw Bay of Blood for the first time, though it's not the first Bava movie I've seen but rather the 4th or so, I found this older comment worth quoting as it reflects my own sentiments about this movie (and perhaps his other ones as well).

Every Bava movie I've seen so far has felt like sitting through an archival museum print to see how movies where once made, but feeling no connection to them whatsoever aside from the occasional inventive camera use and lighting or recognising actors/actresses from better Italian movies.

I bought this one in the last Arrow sale, hoping giving the ingredients (death count, Friday the 13th inspiration, Stelvio Cipriani!) that I would finally have a good time watching a Bava movie, but alas. I nearly fell asleep again and his movies are usually shorter than 90 minutes...

I will say that the transfer looked good as these movies tend to go and there are plenty of extras detailing his other movies (lol), but I'm debating wether to continue checking out the early Bava 60s era, I feel the generation of Italian film makers who followed him are a lot more interesting and enjoyable.
Old 02-05-2018, 04:48 AM   #30

Nov 2011
Finland

For me the movies of Mario Bava tend to get better and better with repeated viewings. Same goes with Fulci etc. I guess these Italian movies are often so confusing that they require concentrating mainly on the plot and the characters. After I know how the story unfolds it's easier to pay attention to the cinematography and design which is where Bava really shines.
Blu-wishlist: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, The Tenant, Class of 1999
Old 02-05-2018, 05:27 AM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumblefeet View Post
Every Bava movie I've seen so far has felt like sitting through an archival museum print to see how movies where once made, but feeling no connection to them whatsoever aside from the occasional inventive camera use and lighting or recognising actors/actresses from better Italian movies.
"OCCASIONAL" inventive camera use, why you young whippersnapper, you!
I love Bava's movies for the Gothic / Hitchcockian feel they have, and his consistently amazing visual work has been a seminal influence on several of the famous directors of later years including Dario Argento, Brian De Palma or Tim Burton. In a Bava film I feel transported to another world. Sure, issues like the post-dubbing and lip-synch issues may give it a more remote feel, but I just love his baroque style and his incredible inventiveness given he was working with low budgets and tight schedules.
Old 02-05-2018, 06:04 AM   #32
Power Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
"OCCASIONAL" inventive camera use, why you young whippersnapper, you! .
Yeh it is an opinion which ignores historical context.

Bava was more 'elegant' amd less wild than the Italian horror directors who followed him like Argento and Fulci, which makes him seem a bit tame and conservative by their neurotic standards, but he was a great craftsman.
Top ten films since 2010 in alphabetical order: Certified Copy, The Death of Louis XIV, Faust, Hard To Be A God, Horse Money, The Master, Nebraska, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, Story of My Death, The Turin Horse.

Honorable mentions: Birdman, Dredd, Dunkirk, The Hateful Eight, Holy Motors, Ida, Inside Llewyn Davis, Jauja, Like Someone In Love, Lincoln, Tabu, Tree of Life, Uncle Boonmee Recalls His Nine Lives, Winter Sleep, The Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 02-05-2018, 08:54 AM   #33
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
"OCCASIONAL" inventive camera use, why you young whippersnapper, you!
I love Bava's movies for the Gothic / Hitchcockian feel they have, and his consistently amazing visual work has been a seminal influence on several of the famous directors of later years including Dario Argento, Brian De Palma or Tim Burton. In a Bava film I feel transported to another world.
I can only speak for myself, but it's that last part that is lacking for me. Perhaps it is a generational thing, I'm also not a fan of the 'gothic' Hammer horror movies that were around at that time. While Bava's movies do feel like they want to break from that style, despite his good camera work and lighting, it ends up feeling like a product of its time rather than feeling ahead of it, at least to me. The reason I used 'occasional' is that while I definitely acknowledge his movies look well shot, he uses sparringly great techniques like POV shots or great camera movements, but at the same time I can get annoyed by things like in 'Bay of Blood', he uses the technique of cutting from one scene to the other by letting the camera go out of focus and in the next shot having it return in focus. That's interesting, but then the next scene he does it again and this time it only draws attention to itself instead of feeling organic.

Watching Bay of Blood, I got very bored at the endless scenes that are setup to create tension and suspense, but completely fail at doing so. I find he has a poor grasp of how to integrate music in his movies, specially given he had Cipriani on this one who is great at doing beautiful themes, but this is a slasher movie that also requires atonal and suspense music. Perhaps another reason why Bava's movies got rescored for the international market and why this was not the case for other Italian directors like Fulci or Lenz; though perhaps monetary reasons would play into that as well and for the record, I don't find the Les Baxter scores any better.

Thinking over the Bava's I've seen so far (Girl who knew too much, Kill Baby Kill, Baron Blood, Bay of Blood, Five Dolls for August Moon, Rabid Dogs), the only one I have found great from start to finish and did experience that cinematic feel was Rabid Dogs. But mainly due to the ruffer edge that movie had and there the Cipriani score worked wonders.

I'll still continue to seek out his movies, just pointing out so far it's been more misses than hits in the memorable department.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:40 PM   #34

Nov 2011
Finland

Quote:
Thinking over the Bava's I've seen so far (Girl who knew too much, Kill Baby Kill, Baron Blood, Bay of Blood, Five Dolls for August Moon, Rabid Dogs), the only one I have found great from start to finish and did experience that cinematic feel was Rabid Dogs. But mainly due to the ruffer edge that movie had and there the Cipriani score worked wonders.
I've bought nine Bava movies on Blu and the only one I got rid of was Rabid Dogs, because I couldn't get into it for some reason It just didn't feel like a Bava film at all. Black Sunday, Black Sabbath, The Girl who Knew too Much and Blood & Black Lace are probably my favourites so far. I think of Bay of Blood as a dark comedy, if you go into it expecting a horror movie I can easily see it being a disappointment.
Blu-wishlist: Let's Scare Jessica to Death, The Tenant, Class of 1999
Old 02-05-2018, 12:49 PM   #35
Power Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

Quote:
I can only speak for myself, but it's that last part that is lacking for me. Perhaps it is a generational thing, I'm also not a fan of the 'gothic' Hammer horror movies that were around at that time. While Bava's movies do feel like they want to break from that style, despite his good camera work and lighting, it ends up feeling like a product of its time rather than feeling ahead of it, at least to me.
Have you seen Blood and Black Lace? That movie was slightly ahead of its time while being a product of its time, like all things are. The lighting in particular was very influential.

If you haven't seen Blood and Black Lace and Black Sunday, I recommend doing so. If you don't like them, then Bava simply isn't for you.

I also really like Planet of The Vampires, but that one tends to split his fans down the middle.

Re: the generational remark. Yes and no. I'm in my late 30's, so I didn't grow up with Bava. When I first watched his films in my early 20's I thought they were somewhat tame and not that interesting. I didn't really start appreciating him until much later in life, at least not until I saw a decent print of Blood and Black Lace anyway.
Top ten films since 2010 in alphabetical order: Certified Copy, The Death of Louis XIV, Faust, Hard To Be A God, Horse Money, The Master, Nebraska, Once Upon A Time In Anatolia, Story of My Death, The Turin Horse.

Honorable mentions: Birdman, Dredd, Dunkirk, The Hateful Eight, Holy Motors, Ida, Inside Llewyn Davis, Jauja, Like Someone In Love, Lincoln, Tabu, Tree of Life, Uncle Boonmee Recalls His Nine Lives, Winter Sleep, The Wolf of Wall Street.
Old 02-05-2018, 12:53 PM   #36
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
I also really like Planet of The Vampires, but that one tends to split his fans down the middle.
I couldn't finish that one..
Old 02-05-2018, 01:11 PM   #37
Power Member

Oct 2013
Melbourne, Australia

^^It's one of his campiest films, so that's certainly understandable.

I adore the entire visual design of the film. It's very kitsch, but he achieved a lot with little.

Old 02-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #38
Special Member

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by malakaheso View Post
If you haven't seen Blood and Black Lace and Black Sunday, I recommend doing so. If you don't like them, then Bava simply isn't for you.
Thanks for the recommendations, will give these a go next.
Old 02-05-2018, 01:50 PM   #39
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

There might not have been an Alien without a Planet of the Vampires. But yea, compared to his classics it's a slog to sit through, although what he achieves with the set designs is quite remarkable in a comic-book art style.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland