Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray)
£4.49

Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Amazonia (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Quiet Earth (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

The Spiritual Boxer (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Luke Cage: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£15.99

Black Magic 2 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Samuel Fuller at Columbia, 1937-1961 (Blu-ray)
£49.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 01-05-2018, 02:04 PM   #21
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
USA

Excellent
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Old 01-05-2018, 02:30 PM   #22
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLeppard View Post
It took 4 years for BFI to get the 4k remaster of La Belle et la BÍte (1946) on BD while the re-release was curated by BFI in 2013 ,same goes to Johnny Guitar (1954) but sad that itís not even on a BD in the UK like that of pre-4k remaster BD in the states.
I believe the rights to the Republic titles are with Paramount, so hoping Eureka can eventually do a third deal with them if only to release this masterpiece - but I'd also love to see High Noon, Rio Grande, Macbeth and The Sun Shines Bright end up over here too. Fingers still crossed...
Thanks given by:
John Hodson (01-05-2018)
Old 01-05-2018, 04:00 PM   #23
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

The RKO catalogue is littered with quality.

It would be with the one label that are a pain in the @r$e to license from....
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 01-05-2018, 05:05 PM   #24
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Of course the other factor is that the Fox back catalogue in itself is huge, and we only have a finite number of UK labels dipping into it - it could just be that this is how long it's taking to get into the meat of the catalogue. I suppose another factor might be cost - the more well-known titles may well command higher licensing fees.

Plenty of possible reasons I guess....
The big problem is that Fox's westerns - particularly their John Wayne ones - are really, really slow sellers in the UK, and always have been since the first days of home video. Indeed, Westerns in general are bad sellers in the UK - go into any HMV branch and they're the one genre the give the least space to. By contrast there's always been a huge market for Westerns in Germany, which is why there aren't just so many titles on BD and DVD that haven't even been released in the US but their investment funds are the majority backers of almost every American western made over the past decade or two.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Old 01-05-2018, 05:12 PM   #25
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

Quote:
The RKO catalogue is littered with quality.

It would be with the one label that are a pain in the @r$e to license from....
The 740 feature films have been held in perpetuity by the BBC in the UK since 1979: the problem is that their master material generally varies from pretty poor to shit on toast. Warners have better material but even they are limited by many of the original negatives, including Citizen Kane, being lost in a fire in 1980 and too many of the titles not being financially viable for the kind of major restoration they need. Like the French DVD releases from Editions Montparnasse, many of the BBC's masters are pretty dodgy standards conversions from NTSC to PAL.
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Old 02-06-2018, 07:02 PM   #26
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Broken Arrow slips two weeks to the 26th Feb.

OP updated.
Old 02-24-2018, 05:48 PM   #27
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Broken Arrow shipped, will be here tomorrow
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (02-24-2018)
Old 02-24-2018, 07:44 PM   #28
Special Member

Aug 2007
New York, NY, US

That's a pretty cool turnaround time! It seems like it only left authoring here about 2 weeks ago.
The personal opinions above are my own and not those of Fidelity in Motion or its clients.
--
David Mackenzie, Fidelity in Motion
BD, UHD, DVD, Digital Cinema professional
ISF + THX Certified Professional, Member SMPTE
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (02-24-2018), Geoff D (02-24-2018), Si Parallel Universe (02-24-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:06 AM   #29
Expert Member

Sep 2012
London

They already have the stock in Fopp in Covent Garden in readiness for Monday's release date, too. A fine irony considering that all the releases in the (parent?) Signal One forthcoming catalogue are on an endless series of deferrals.....
Old 02-25-2018, 04:40 AM   #30
Power Member

Aug 2013
Yorkshire, UK

Both Broken Arrow & The Sheriff Of Fractured Jaw are £9.99 (£9 with 10% discount code) right now over at Zoom.
Wanted On Blu: The Crowd (28), I Am A Fugitive From A Chain Gang (32), The Mortal Storm (40), Hellzapoppin' (41), Mr Bug Goes To Town (41), Un Temoin Dans La Ville (59), A Prize Of Arms (62), The Last Of Sheila (73), Dersu Uzala (75), Illustrious Corpses (76), The Late Show (77), Foul Play (78), American Hot Wax (78), Krabat - The Sorcerer's Apprentice (78), I As In Icarus (79), The Lonely Guy (84), After Hours (85), Confessions Of A Serial Killer (85), Nobody's Fool (94), Best Of Youth (03).
Thanks given by:
adamhopelies (02-25-2018), CouncilSpectre (02-25-2018), sjt (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 07:44 AM   #31
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Sheffield

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerby View Post
Both Broken Arrow & The Sheriff Of Fractured Jaw are £9.99 (£9 with 10% discount code) right now over at Zoom.
Nice one, just ordered Broken Arrow. Thanks for the heads up.
Thanks given by:
Simon Lewis (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:26 AM   #32
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

I literally just won a copy of this but would've pre-ordered - a no-brainer at £8.99, being a classic Western starring Jimmy Stewart and directed by Delmer Daves.
Thanks given by:
CouncilSpectre (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 10:44 AM   #33

Feb 2015

just ordered broken arrow.excellent price.
Old 02-25-2018, 10:51 AM   #34
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
I literally just won a copy of this but would've pre-ordered - a no-brainer at £8.99, being a classic Western starring Jimmy Stewart and directed by Delmer Daves.
Very nice mate, congrats

I saw the comp but not until after my copy was already in flight. Speaking of which:

Thanks given by:
rapta (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 11:20 AM   #35
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Cheers! Cool, just a commentary on this one, right? Pic a bit small but could just about make that out.

Apparently Plan B have at least 5 more titles lined up, and at least a couple are pretty big ones if you ask me...
Old 02-25-2018, 03:11 PM   #36
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Cheers! Cool, just a commentary on this one, right? Pic a bit small but could just about make that out.

Apparently Plan B have at least 5 more titles lined up, and at least a couple are pretty big ones if you ask me...
Yep, just the commentary, and trailer. Tbh, with movies of this age they're going to struggle to pull too much together in terms of extras. We do know that they have, and continue to try though, so ultimately, if some of these are thin in terms of additional content, it's not through a lack of effort.

They obviously have The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw coming up next month, and then four more titles that either S1 will announce or Amazon will spoil in due course. Suffice to say though, yes, I think people will be very pleased with some, if not all, of the upcoming titles
Old 02-25-2018, 03:37 PM   #37
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2010
Sheffield

Has any formal explanation of the distinction between Signal 1 and Plan B been made? I wonder why he started a second label, rather than simply putting everything out under one label?
Thanks given by:
sjt (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:42 PM   #38
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamhopelies View Post
Has any formal explanation of the distinction between Signal 1 and Plan B been made? I wonder why he started a second label, rather than simply putting everything out under one label?
I don't think so. Not to my knowledge at least.

There are more people involved with Plan B whereas S1 is, from memory, just James. Beyond that though, your guess is as good as mine, or anyone else's...
Thanks given by:
sjt (02-25-2018)
Old 02-25-2018, 03:48 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Perhaps it was done to share the workload and costs? I suppose it's not that different from Shameless and Cult Films being 'sister' labels, though I don't know if they actually share staff or not.

Anyway, I had assumed Plan B would just be classic Westerns but apparently they've got a few films from other genres/periods so yeah, similar range of titles across both labels. So far it seems Signal One generally include more extras but that does seem to change from title to title based on what they can get hold of. Little difference, from what I can see, and maybe they'll even merge eventually.
Old 02-26-2018, 12:14 PM   #40
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Quote:
They obviously have The Sheriff of Fractured Jaw coming up next month, and then four more titles that either S1 will announce or Amazon will spoil in due course. Suffice to say though, yes, I think people will be very pleased with some, if not all, of the upcoming titles
Is there some inside info being shared elsewhere?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Tags
20th century fox, broken arrow, james stewart, jayne mansfield, jimmy stewart, kenneth more, plan b entertainment, sheriff of fractured jaw