Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray)
£4.49

Amazonia (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

The Spiritual Boxer (Blu-ray)
£9.99

The Quiet Earth (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Luke Cage: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£15.99

Flesh + Blood (Blu-ray)
£13.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Black Magic 2 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-01-2018, 09:15 AM   #201

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarPot1 View Post
Why?!
Dropped!
Old 02-01-2018, 05:37 PM   #202
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilNed View Post
Dropped!
Am confused by that. Are you saying that you won't buy it?
Neil Harrison.

50" Panasonic plasma and 6.1 sound.
Old 02-01-2018, 10:53 PM   #203

Nov 2013

Picked my set up from Tower Records tonight; very happy with it. That superfluous subtitle is not a concern; a minor oversight appearing on the default third subtitle track that is there only to subtitle the Italian language signs and texts through the film. Clearly the team that put that track together was using the Italian print and thought to title the Italian credits. It can be eliminated by toggling the track off and then back on after the credits roll but that's hardly necessary, is it?

Just had time to watch the extras which I enjoyed. Dardano's stories were mischievous and glorious and Cinzia's reminiscences while vague and hardly illuminating, were very sweet and heartwarming. Glad I got the Koch Mediabook (First pressing cover) a while ago as the "trilogy" sit well together now. Just need to squeeze the old Anchor Bay DVD into this set to save space.
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (02-01-2018)
Old 02-01-2018, 11:20 PM   #204
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

I'll also say that the Cat O' Nine Tails subtitle can easily be removed by turning off that 3rd subtitle track whilst the blu-ray is playing. I'll probably do that the next time I watch the film (for the whole running time). Not that the Cat O' Nine Tails subtitle really bothers me, it's just that I personally prefer to watch this film without any subtitles for the brief Italian moments (eg, a 'Genetics' subtitle when you see a drawer with a 'Genetica' word). Just my personal preference.
Neil Harrison.

Last edited by SymbioticFunction; 02-01-2018 at 11:25 PM.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:24 AM   #205

Nov 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
I'll also say that the Cat O' Nine Tails subtitle can easily be removed by turning off that 3rd subtitle track whilst the blu-ray is playing.
Exactly what I said, but you're right; I don't think the translations are entirely necessary as Lori reads them out aloud in some cases and signs are relatively obvious. But I could go either way as the single redundant title isn't the least bit bothersome. No subtitle grievance comes close to the forced subs on Twin Peaks: Fire Walk With Me "Pink Room" sequence that were menu selectable on the earlier DVD. They were absent in the cinema when I saw it and I thought it was a bravaura move to immerse the audience in that night club like that; straining to hear (drunken, innane) conversation over the music.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:42 PM   #206
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Another enjoyable raconteur style commentary from Jones and Newman. Although it is surprising that they didn't properly identify Umberto Raho as the Bird gallery owner.
Neil Harrison.

Old 02-03-2018, 06:03 PM   #207
Power Member

Dec 2009
-
-

Finally! My HMV order has moved to payment successful. Having seen it a number of times, I wasnít in a rush to watch it again straight away but the extra wait has turned that all around and now Iím dying to see it!
Old 02-04-2018, 12:55 AM   #208
Expert Member

Oct 2015
Bergman Island

Just finished watching this and the transfer was great, was sceptical when looking at the caps that it would be too dark but no problems in that regard, the one problem I had was the film, its too long and dull compared to what Argento was releasing in the 70's.
Old 02-04-2018, 02:49 AM   #209

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Persona View Post
Just finished watching this and the transfer was great, was sceptical when looking at the caps that it would be too dark but no problems in that regard, the one problem I had was the film, its too long and dull compared to what Argento was releasing in the 70's.
Yes, most Argento fans regard this as his weakest film from the 70's and I certainly agree. I like Bird with the Crystal Plumage, Deep Red, and even Four Flies way more than Cat. And of course there is no comparison between this and the all mighty Suspiria. Argento himself has mentioned through the years that Cat isn't one of his favorite films he's made.
I think I will just wait for the standard edition for this.
Thanks given by:
PrestonXI (02-07-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 09:43 AM   #210

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticFunction View Post
Am confused by that. Are you saying that you won't buy it?
Yeah, but I was just kidding.
I mean, that'd be an overreaction...
Thanks given by:
SymbioticFunction (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 06:58 PM   #211

Oct 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by postmodel View Post
[Show spoiler]

Well for what itís worth the title card on the left is from the version on Shudder and the right is the one posted earlier for Arrow......so do with that what you will.
I'm guessing the Shudder version is the BU transfer, which uses digitally recreated titles on top of the original background footage, whereas I'm assuming (still waiting for the North American release date) Arrow has either used the original optical titles or rotoscoped them for a more accurate look.

If you have the old Anchor Bay/BU DVD, you'll notice the titles have a ton of negative dirt on them running at a slower frame rate than the footage underneath. Not sure if it was like that theatrically (which would be shockingly sloppy), or if when they did the transfer they had the original title intermediates (presumably more damaged than when they were originally used) and composited them with the background negative.
Old 02-07-2018, 05:15 AM   #212
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Italy

Watched this the other day. Malden's performance is great
[Show spoiler] and some of the oddest Gay club portrayals in a film outside of the Nighthawks films
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:47 PM   #213
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Parallel Universe View Post
[Show spoiler] and some of the oddest Gay club portrayals in a film outside of the Nighthawks films
Is well worth listening to the audio commentary during that scene.
Neil Harrison.

Old 03-19-2018, 08:07 PM   #214

Apr 2011

Amazon UK comes through with a perfect condition delivery to the US.. Screw you Deep Discount for canceling so many orders after release day. UK saved me $15 USD over the US release from Amazon.
Old 04-09-2018, 11:46 AM   #215

Jul 2016

Bit late to the game, but I finally watched this yesterday. I'm not a massive giallo fan & I'd never seen it before, but thought it was highly entertaining stuff & the extras are pretty solid.

Is it safe to assume this new Arrow version is uncut?
Old 04-10-2018, 11:05 PM   #216
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by BudBaxter View Post
Very safe.
Neil Harrison.

Thanks given by:
BudBaxter (04-11-2018)
Old 04-11-2018, 06:33 PM   #217

May 2011
Around the World

Quote:
Bit late to the game, but I finally watched this yesterday. I'm not a massive giallo fan & I'd never seen it before, but thought it was highly entertaining stuff & the extras are pretty solid.

The first Arrow version was already uncut!
Old 04-12-2018, 09:14 AM   #218

Jul 2016

Good to know. Some clown on ebay was arguing that because the UK Arrow version has a BBFC 18 certificate logo on it & the US Arrow one doesn't, the UK one must be cut...
Old 04-12-2018, 02:00 PM   #219
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

So he thinks ALL United Kingdom dvds and blu-rays are cut?
Neil Harrison.

Thanks given by:
leoganzi (04-12-2018)
Old 04-12-2018, 04:44 PM   #220

Jul 2012

Quote:
Good to know. Some clown on ebay was arguing that because the UK Arrow version has a BBFC 18 certificate logo on it & the US Arrow one doesn't, the UK one must be cut...
Lol. That guy has no idea in hell what he's talking about.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland