Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals

Best Nintendo Switch Game Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Yonder: The Cloud Catcher Chronicles (Switch)
$34.99

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze (Switch)
$54.95

Shantae 1/2 Genie Hero Ultimate Edition (Switch)
$35.89

Super Mario Odyssey (Switch)
$48.66

Bayonetta 2 (Switch)
$57.79

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 Special Edition (Switch)
$88.50

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 (Switch)
$50.48

Monster Energy Supercross (Switch)
$39.99

Minecraft (Switch)
$29.88

Hyrule Warriors (Switch)
$55.99

Fire Emblem Warriors (Switch)
$42.68

Snipperclips Plus (Switch)
$29.13

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Old 02-06-2018, 05:01 PM   #6801
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City
Send a message via AIM to RaijinUT

Game Informer is reporting that Pillars of Eternity II will be coming to the Switch this holiday.

That will be a nice over-the-top classic RPG for the Switch to have this Holiday season.
The battle is hopeless... There is no beating the Pigeon Boys.
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin http://steamcommunity.com/id/RaijinUT, Origin: Raijins, Switch: SW-0685-8595-0597
Mr. Beautiful's number 1 groupie and one proud Malamute owner
Old 02-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #6802
Special Member

Oct 2012

I wish Nintendo would just announce whether or not the virtual console will be coming to the Nintendo Switch at some point in the future instead of keeping everyone in suspense and hoping.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:34 PM   #6803
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donl1282 View Post
I wish Nintendo would just announce whether or not the virtual console will be coming to the Nintendo Switch at some point in the future instead of keeping everyone in suspense and hoping.
It is part of their online line of products that will launch in September. I doubt we will see anything on it until E3.
A.K.A. Sweet John
PSN: RaijinUT, Xbox Live: I Raijin I, Steam: Raijin http://steamcommunity.com/id/RaijinUT, Origin: Raijins, Switch: SW-0685-8595-0597
Old 02-06-2018, 05:51 PM   #6804
Special Member

Jul 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by RaijinUT View Post
It is part of their online line of products that will launch in September. I doubt we will see anything on it until E3.
Where was that confirmed?
Old 02-06-2018, 06:20 PM   #6805
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Salt Lake City

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu128 View Post
Where was that confirmed?
Was in Nintendo's original release statement for their online service back when the switch was released. Nintendo has never said the full VC plans yet, just that VC games would be released monthly with the online as part of the service.
A.K.A. Sweet John
Old 02-07-2018, 01:46 AM   #6806
Entertainment Moderator

Jan 2009

They've been incredibly vague about whether that is their version of VC this time or not.
What we do in life echoes in eternity
Obey the Topus

I think I'm gonna get some KFC and watch some Star Wars! - jbig31
Let's look death in the face and say, "Whatever, man" - Hugo Reyes
Old 02-07-2018, 04:38 PM   #6807
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmaul1114 View Post
As terrible as Club Nintendo rewards usually were in the day for people who didn’t like toys/knickknacks/posters etc and as worthless as My Nintendo has been since I’m not holding my breath for the bouses being worthwhile.

PS+ isn’t great either as there’s only a game or two a year I want to play but haven’t already bought that goes “free.” At least you get the extra 10% off in PSN sales I guess.

End of the day it’s mostly just paying a ransom to be able to play online. I wouldn’t bother if most of my gamer friends weren’t on PS4 instead of PC where online play is free. I can't see myself paying for Nintendo's. I already have an SNES classic and PC with emulators for the old games, and Splatoon is the only online game of there's I've cared for it and I'll be more than sick of Splatoon 2 by fall (barely played lately as is).
From its launch in late 2002, up until 2013, Xbox Live was £40/year just for online play (with some other minor benefits). Sony's struggles with the PS3 lead to them launching PS+ and as the gap closed between 360 & PS3, "Games with Gold" was launch on Xbox.

So while it may be a "ransom" for online play, it also allows more casual players to test out games they may not have played otherwise. The way I look at the service is like having a rich friend who lets you borrow his collection for £50 per year, sure your tastes may not be an exact match. And every month they'll drop off a couple of PS4, PS3 and Vita games.
I think even at the increased cost per year, it's still pretty good value even if you only play online or only play the "free" games.

The problem Nintendo will have is convincing people that even a $20 (likely £20) subscription will be worthwhile. Their form in the past hasn't been great, hampered by awkward friend code systems and even on Switch, their phone app solution to chat online is pretty laughable.
They have a big game back catalogue that they could draw from for a PS+ style X games per month, but with them selling NES, SNES mini & a not yet launched Virtual Console, they might be unwilling to part with the big titles that they've sold again and again to the same customers on DSi, Wii, 3DS & WiiU.

I'm definitely interested to see what their paid online system will include. One thing that works in their favour is the throwaway price of 1yr sub. Even if the UK gets stiffed 1:1 on currency with the USD, at £20 it's an easy purchase. Hopefully they'll invest the generated revenue into improving their online network, and perhaps finding a better solution than the app for voice chat.

For any amiibo collectors, I got in today the Olimar/Pikmin amiibo from Amazon.
EDIT: Guessing they are price matching Argos at £4.99, and they also have a lot of other amiibos at that price.

It was only £5.99 (down from £10.99) when I ordered about a week ago, but it's now £4.99 ("In stock on February 17, 2018").
I'm not really that bothered about amiibo's usually, but Pikmin is one of my favourite series (loved them on Gamecube), and the price was right.

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 02-07-2018 at 07:55 PM.
Old 02-07-2018, 04:49 PM   #6808
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSimonH View Post
From its launch in late 2002, up until 2013, Xbox Live was £40/year just for online play (with some other minor benefits). Sony's struggles with the PS3 lead to them launching PS+ and as the gap closed between 360 & PS3, "Games with Gold" was launch on Xbox.
Of course. It just something that has always seemed asinine to anyone who games on PC where online play has always been free (aside from game specific subscriptions like MMOs).

It's definitely better for more casual players (or those with less money) who are less likely to have bought and played everything that interests them well before it hits PS+ or Games with Gold, so I get that perspective.

Though with Steam's automated refunds within 14 days of purchase for anything you've played less than two hours you can pretty much try any game you want if you're on PC. Though to be fair some games are hard to get a sense of in 2 hours if they're long and cutscene and tutorial heavy early on.
Old 02-07-2018, 07:51 PM   #6809
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Of course. It just something that has always seemed asinine to anyone who games on PC where online play has always been free (aside from game specific subscriptions like MMOs).

It's definitely better for more casual players (or those with less money) who are less likely to have bought and played everything that interests them well before it hits PS+ or Games with Gold, so I get that perspective.

Though with Steam's automated refunds within 14 days of purchase for anything you've played less than two hours you can pretty much try any game you want if you're on PC. Though to be fair some games are hard to get a sense of in 2 hours if they're long and cutscene and tutorial heavy early on.
Sure it's free, but sadly ends up with a lot of cheating in multiplayer games due to the open nature of the platform.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:27 PM   #6810
Power Member

Jun 2010

Quote:
Sure it's free, but sadly ends up with a lot of cheating in multiplayer games due to the open nature of the platform.
True. I mostly just play coop stuff so less of a problem there. Playing with a cheater isn’t nearly as annoying as playing against them.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:31 PM   #6811
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK
Dreamworks

Quote:
True. I mostly just play coop stuff so less of a problem there. Playing with a cheater isn’t nearly as annoying as playing against them.
I think people can and should be able do what they like in singleplayer; god mode, all weapons, fly like Superman etc. have at it, it's not affecting anyone. But once they enter multiplayer, it's ruining other people's experience, and wasting their time.
I'm not really into multiplayer games, never have been. But when you have games like "Dark Souls" where there is an integration, it can be an issue on PC. It's a hard enough game as it is, without someone turning up in their pants, invincible, spamming attacks that break all your armour. I think 1&3 were OK, where you had to be in a certain state to be invaded (required for coop though too), but in DS2 you could be invaded in any state (human, hollow etc), so that could be a pain. People were even dropping glitched weapons (higher stats than possible) in other peoples games, that would break their save file... After I heard about that I just ended up playing offline on PC. No offline mode though, had to temp remove ethernet during each initial load of the game

Quote:
I'm definitely interested to see what their paid online system will include. One thing that works in their favour is the throwaway price of 1yr sub. Even if the UK gets stiffed 1:1 on currency with the USD, at £20 it's an easy purchase. Hopefully they'll invest the generated revenue into improving their online network, and perhaps finding a better solution than the app for voice chat.
I just read there that Nintendo sneaked in USB headphone support in system version 4.0.0 last year, so perhaps thay are working on a more elegant solution for chat, rather than;

Thanks given by:
Heapashifter (02-09-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:07 PM   #6812
Power Member

Jun 2010

Yeah the USB headset support update was great. Have used my Playstation Gold Headset when playing docked since then and it works great. Nice having one wireless set I can use for PC, PS4 and Switch.
Thanks given by:
DaveSimonH (02-08-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #6813
Blu-ray Champion

Oct 2012
New York

Early March is when you’ll be able to spend your "My Nintendo" gold coins on Switch stuff.
The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.
Films I'd like to see on Blu-Ray Disc:
Scarface (1932)
ABC Weekend Specials (1977–1995) [TV Movies]

I don’t believe anyone that refuses to post a source, they just like spreading FUD.
If you're not part of the solution, you’re part of the precipitate.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:53 PM   #6814
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

5% back for eShop purchases.
1% back for physical purchases based on the current eShop price.

Not quite as good as the Wii U Digital Deluxe Promotion was, but at least it's not another 1-month calendar/wallpaper JPEG or 3DS theme.
Old 02-08-2018, 08:10 PM   #6815
Power Member

Jun 2010

Better than nothing I guess. I go physical when possible for 20% Best Buy GCU discount and being able to sell after I’m done. But at least I can earn some reward and knocks a little cost off digital-only titles here and there.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:21 PM   #6816

Aug 2014
Orlando

It sucks the coins expire.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:10 PM   #6817
Power Member

Dec 2008

Decided to go for Rocket League digital as it is like 50% cheaper than on cart, though it takes quite alot, some 6Gb space of my 128Gb card. It is possibly a counterfeit card or has issues, but I still cannot understand why I could not get it downloaded yesterday from the eShop?? I tried several times. First time it continued to download for some 30 minutes but then just stopped and later it stopped immediately the download. Tried to delete it completely and restart the download but again same

Any advice would be welcome..
Old 02-09-2018, 09:01 PM   #6818
Blu-ray Knight

Feb 2011

Next online announcement will be “worth the wait.”

Has to be a direct outlining the service and games included every month and how that will all work out. Whether that ends up being their VC or not, I guess we’ll see.

Something tells me it hasn’t been delayed because of actual backend or service issues but because they had to scramble together a VC. Something tells me they never planned one (for whatever reason as it was killer on the Wii. Wii U was probably not a good investment for them since the install base was so low and the offerings were primarily Nintendo stuff we’ve bought time and again.) until they saw the sales of the mini’s.

https://mynintendonews.com/2018/02/0...-the-wait/amp/
Thanks given by:
Diesel (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:46 PM   #6819
Gaming Moderator

Dec 2008
Wales

If it's only £20 a year then I'll be subscribing regardless. What's £20 this day and age?
My PSN Trophy Card | PS4 Tips, Tricks & Fixes
List of BD Movies That Have PS3 Themes
Samsung 55KS7000 SUHD|Samsung UBD-K8500|Nintendo Switch|Xbox One S|PS4(2TB)|PS3 Slim(1TB)|Sony Bravia 40W605|LG 42LW650T 3D|Toshiba BDX3100 (Multi-Region3D Player)|ONKYO HTX-22HD 5.1|Samsung HW-F350 Soundbar|Sky+HD Box.
Thanks given by:
DaveSimonH (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 12:54 PM   #6820
Blu-ray Ninja

Sep 2009
Scotland, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leterface View Post
Decided to go for Rocket League digital as it is like 50% cheaper than on cart, though it takes quite alot, some 6Gb space of my 128Gb card. It is possibly a counterfeit card or has issues, but I still cannot understand why I could not get it downloaded yesterday from the eShop?? I tried several times. First time it continued to download for some 30 minutes but then just stopped and later it stopped immediately the download. Tried to delete it completely and restart the download but again same

Any advice would be welcome..
I'd suggest testing your 128GB card, if you think it could be a counterfeit. Connect up the microSD to a PC and run H2testw. It will show whether it's a genuine card or not, as it will fill the card up then verify the files are readable.
Many fakes are simply lower capacity cards formatted to look like the more expensive larger cards, so while it may be able to write the first 2-4GB or so, any more becomes corrupt as you can't write to thin air.

Best case, it verifies that it's genuine and you just reinsert to your Switch and have it re-download any games. But if it is a fake, better to know now and hopefully get a refund from where you bought it.
Unfortunately fake cards is still prevalent, so I tend to only buy from places like Amazon (not the marketplace), and/or companies like MyMemory that I trust.

Last edited by DaveSimonH; 02-11-2018 at 12:59 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Gaming > Nintendo > Nintendo Switch

Tags
nintendo, switch™