Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Miss Sloane (Blu-ray)
$9.99
It's Alive Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.87
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-06-2018, 04:36 PM   #28141
Expert Member

May 2016
Australia

Cutter's Way is one of only a handful of TT releases I own. It was alright, certainly not bad, but I didn't think it was that great either.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:55 PM   #28142
Power Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
Cutter's Way is one of only a handful of TT releases I own. It was alright, certainly not bad, but I didn't think it was that great either.
Wow, your insight has made me see the movie in a whole new light.
Thanks given by:
Widescreenfilmguy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:10 PM   #28143
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoke Moseley View Post
Wow, your insight has made me see the movie in a whole new light.
It's two guys, one's got an eyepatch and shit and likes to get faded a lot. There are also two chicks, both are pretty hot, and some rich dude. They do stuff and, uh, it's cool I guess. Nothing great, I dunno, but nothing bad, ya know. Thats Cutterz Way.
Top 10 Most Wanted on Blu-Ray: 1) After Hours 2) Bringing Out the Dead 3) Bob Roberts 4) O Lucky Man 5) California Split 6) The Music of Chance 7) The Limey 8) Brewster McCloud 9) The Hitcher (1986) 10) Straight Time
Old 02-06-2018, 11:21 PM   #28144
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

Speaking of the Bridges clan, TT has a film with a fine performance by brother Beau Bridges going up for preorder tomorrow, namely THE INCIDENT (1967).
Old 02-07-2018, 06:42 AM   #28145
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Checked out the BD of Paul Mazursky's great "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" last night. The film tells the story of two couples, Bob and Carol (Robert Culp and Natalie Wood) and Ted and Alice (Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon). Bob is a documentary filmmaker, who attends a retreat in Northern California while Carol joins him. It's a retreat disguised as, "Hey, come find yourself" that's actually a "Hey, sex is fun. Have as much sex as possible with as many people as you can," retreat. Bob and Carol are both affected by their experience and soon subscribe to the philosophy of free love and desire having sex with other partners. They try to get Ted and Alice in on the fun, but both resist initially. However, Ted and Alice soon want to try the new lifestyle, but, eventually, all of them find out they aren't as cut out for the free love lifestyle as they initially thought.

The four main leads are all fantastic in this. Culp is ultra-confident and is of the mindset that, "I can f**k around and have a great wife at home, but she better not do it to me." Wood is slowly testing Culp, aware that he's naive of the power that she has on men and eager to use it. Gould is curious, but somewhat torn between the tempting free-love philosophy and his devotion to his wife. Cannon is more conservative in nature, not comfortable with what Bob and Carol are espousing, but reluctant to be left behind and be deemed prudish or old-fashioned.

It's a wonderful film. It intelligently comments on how people often want to keep up with current trends even if it's not in their true nature. It also is a very bold commentary on sex and the difference between physical and emotional attraction. Natalie Wood and Dyan Cannon, circa 1969, were both impossibly beautiful women. You can't take your eyes off of them. But Culp and Gould's characters, both flawed men, are tempted to stray because there is this possibility that something greater and more sexually adventurous could be out there.

I read that this film was the top-grossing film of 1969. Think about how much things have changed. A small, dialogue-based film with swinging and partner-swapping at the center was the top-grossing film of 1969. This film would be lucky to make a million at the box office today, unfortunately.

This is Paul Mazursky's debut film and he shows the ability he displayed throughout the 70s and early 80s. His filmography is sorely under-represented on Blu-Ray. Hopefully, we will eventually see BDs of some of his other films like "Blume in Love", "Harry and Tonto", "Next Stop, Greenwich Village", "An Unmarried Woman", and "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" at some point. This BD features a top-notch transfer as well.
Top 10 Most Wanted on Blu-Ray: 1) After Hours 2) Bringing Out the Dead 3) Bob Roberts 4) O Lucky Man 5) California Split 6) The Music of Chance 7) The Limey 8) Brewster McCloud 9) The Hitcher (1986) 10) Straight Time

Last edited by mja345; 02-07-2018 at 06:57 AM.
Thanks given by:
Aclea (02-07-2018), amputd (02-07-2018), billy pilgrim (02-07-2018), cropduster (02-07-2018), nitin (02-08-2018), oildude (02-08-2018), Sparrowmar (02-10-2018), The Great Owl (02-10-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #28146

May 2017

Where did Woddy Allen's Love & Death dissappear to? I can't find it anywhere on TT website.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:07 AM   #28147
Blu-ray Guru

May 2010
Riverside, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynos View Post
Where did Woddy Allen's Love & Death dissappear to? I can't find it anywhere on TT website.
I know there were certain movies only available at sa, this May have been one of them.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:44 PM   #28148
Expert Member

Sep 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja345 View Post
Checked out the BD of Paul Mazursky's great "Bob and Carol and Ted and Alice" last night. The film tells the story of two couples, Bob and Carol (Robert Culp and Natalie Wood) and Ted and Alice (Elliott Gould and Dyan Cannon). Bob is a documentary filmmaker, who attends a retreat in Northern California while Carol joins him. It's a retreat disguised as, "Hey, come find yourself" that's actually a "Hey, sex is fun. Have as much sex as possible with as many people as you can," retreat. Bob and Carol are both affected by their experience and soon subscribe to the philosophy of free love and desire having sex with other partners. They try to get Ted and Alice in on the fun, but both resist initially. However, Ted and Alice soon want to try the new lifestyle, but, eventually, all of them find out they aren't as cut out for the free love lifestyle as they initially thought.

The four main leads are all fantastic in this. Culp is ultra-confident and is of the mindset that, "I can f**k around and have a great wife at home, but she better not do it to me." Wood is slowly testing Culp, aware that he's naive of the power that she has on men and eager to use it. Gould is curious, but somewhat torn between the tempting free-love philosophy and his devotion to his wife. Cannon is more conservative in nature, not comfortable with what Bob and Carol are espousing, but reluctant to be left behind and be deemed prudish or old-fashioned.

It's a wonderful film. It intelligently comments on how people often want to keep up with current trends even if it's not in their true nature. It also is a very bold commentary on sex and the difference between physical and emotional attraction. Natalie Wood and Dyan Cannon, circa 1969, were both impossibly beautiful women. You can't take your eyes off of them. But Culp and Gould's characters, both flawed men, are tempted to stray because there is this possibility that something greater and more sexually adventurous could be out there.

I read that this film was the top-grossing film of 1969. Think about how much things have changed. A small, dialogue-based film with swinging and partner-swapping at the center was the top-grossing film of 1969. This film would be lucky to make a million at the box office today, unfortunately.

This is Paul Mazursky's debut film and he shows the ability he displayed throughout the 70s and early 80s. His filmography is sorely under-represented on Blu-Ray. Hopefully, we will eventually see BDs of some of his other films like "Blume in Love", "Harry and Tonto", "Next Stop, Greenwich Village", "An Unmarried Woman", and "Down and Out in Beverly Hills" at some point. This BD features a top-notch transfer as well.
Not quite. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid was the top grossing movie of 1969 leader by a country mile.
Old 02-07-2018, 02:56 PM   #28149
Expert Member

Dec 2011

Hopefully Sony will send the following 3D titles to TT someday.

Fort Ti
Jesse James vs. the Daltons
Drums of Tahiti
Cinerama web site:
http://incinerama.com
Thanks given by:
Doc Moonlight (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 05:01 PM   #28150
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCRochester View Post
Not quite. Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid was the top grossing movie of 1969 leader by a country mile.
You're right. This was #5. I must have misread something or gotten bad info. But "Easy Rider", "Midnight Cowboy", and this film were three of the top five. That's insane when you think about it.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:48 PM   #28151
Blu-ray Duke

Dec 2012
Georgia

Just The Incident for me this time around.

I'll have to bank up so that I can order the full slate in March.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:04 PM   #28152
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
Boulevard of Broken Dreams

I preordered two of my favorites, THE EFFECT OF GAMMA RAYS ON MAN-IN-THE-MOON MARIGOLDS, and THE INCIDENT.
Old 02-08-2018, 12:43 AM   #28153
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Picked up THE INCIDENT and HARRY AND WALTER GO TO NEW YORK
Old 02-10-2018, 01:36 AM   #28154

Jul 2011

Watching Sayonara at the moment. Really amazing transfer and beautiful visuals.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:26 AM   #28155
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mja345 View Post
You're right. This was #5. I must have misread something or gotten bad info. But "Easy Rider", "Midnight Cowboy", and this film were three of the top five. That's insane when you think about it.
It's definitely depressing to see how the masses' tastes have changed for the worse.
Thanks given by:
billy pilgrim (02-10-2018), cropduster (02-11-2018), drb124 (02-10-2018), mja345 (02-10-2018), moviflicilm (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:22 PM   #28156

May 2015

Last night I pulled Bunny Lake is Missing from my mile-high stack of unwatched BD. What an interesting film. I found the story of sibling love and madness mixed with police procedural, and its offbeat nature, all quite compelling.

One of the most interesting aspects of the film is Preminger's choice of cast. From the little I've read about the great director, he had a reputation as a demanding and exacting taskmaster who intimidated actors. Yet in Carol Lynley and Keir Dullea, he cast relative unknowns as the film's sibling protagonists, and surrounded them with some of Britain's most accomplished talent (Laurence Olivier, Noel Coward, Martita Hunt, Finlay Currie, etc). While Lynley acquits herself well, Dullea simply looks like he is trying too hard, and comes across as an enthusiastic amateur. However, their presence in the film playing against established greats certainly does amplify the "fish out of water" aspect of the story.

As the police detective heading up the investigation into the disappearance of a girl who may or may not even exist, Olivier is about as understated as I've ever seen him - his role juxtaposing nicely with the intensity of Lynley's near-permanent emotional turmoil. Coward has a quite remarkable cameo as a kinky landlord, which I enjoyed immensely and which added to the overall quirkiness of the film.

The black and white CinemaScope presentation is extremely solid and pleasing throughout, although at times lacked contrast and seemed a little pale (I'd be interested to compare with the Powerhouse Indicator release from the UK). There is also some excellent camera work that struck me as quite innovative for the time (1965) and seemed a precursor to some of the Steadicam techniques we are familiar with now (following an actor into and then out of a room, etc.).

I think like many viewers, I was able to work out the "twist" before it was revealed, but that didn't spoil the impact at all. In fact, there is plenty to enjoy in multiple repeat viewings. I know the TT release is OOP, but there seem to be copies available around the full retail price. And of course, the Powerhouse Indicator release is region-free.

Last edited by Reddington; 02-10-2018 at 03:49 PM. Reason: Grammar
Thanks given by:
cropduster (02-11-2018), Jobla (02-11-2018), mja345 (02-10-2018), oildude (02-10-2018), The Great Owl (02-10-2018), Widescreenfilmguy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:14 PM   #28157
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddington View Post
Last night I pulled Bunny Lake is Missing from my mile-high stack of unwatched BD. What an interesting film.
And don't forget the haunting score by Paul Glass. I bought it on CD from Intrada a couple years ago.

Also, the Twilight Time Blu-ray of BUNNY LAKE has one of the label's best commentary tracks.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:41 PM   #28158
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2012

And let's not forget Noel Coward's immortal comment on meeting the leading man, "Keir Dullea, gone tomorrow."
"Gentleman, that last remark is not for publication. This is a D notice situation."
Thanks given by:
billy pilgrim (02-10-2018), SeanJoyce (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 06:24 PM   #28159
Special Member

Oct 2013

The Driver Twilight Time Blu-ray is $27.99 at Best Buy. It goes for $94.97 on Amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-dri...skuId=33822525
Movies Available in 4K on Apple TV
---------------------------------------
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showpost.ph...6&postcount=61
Old 02-10-2018, 06:27 PM   #28160
Special Member

Nov 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnbluray View Post
The Driver Twilight Time Blu-ray is $27.99 at Best Buy. It goes for $94.97 on Amazon.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/the-dri...skuId=33822525
It's sold out, and even if it wasn't I question the validity of that page.
Thanks given by:
RCRochester (02-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors