Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Big Combo (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Ramrod (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Force of Evil (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Kong: Skull Island 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.69

Monkey Shines (Blu-ray)
£14.99
2 hrs ago
A Matter of Life and Death (Blu-ray)
£17.99

Henri-Georges Clouzot's Inferno (Blu-ray)
£8.99

Eyeball (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Hansel & Gretel: Witch Hunters 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

Paddington 2 4K (Blu-ray)
£14.99
4 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Eighth Series (Blu-ray)
£14.99

The Mystery of Picasso (Blu-ray)
£8.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-07-2018, 06:11 PM   #2241
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

On Jeff Bridges:

it's very disappointing that Thunderbolt and Lightfoot has always been crap for extra features.

It's such a great film, and a deserved Best Supporting Actor nomination for Bridges.

And you've got George Kennedy playing against type (?) as the brutal Red Leary. (He must have played other tough guy roles, but this is the one that stands out for me).
Old 02-07-2018, 06:25 PM   #2242
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
I sure hope Arrow have SOTL, or someone does over here. I expect if they do, theyíll do a Thing/Carrie type set, and go all out with it. I also think the Criterion cover is poo, so some new art would be nice. I had actually wondered, as they have a Universal deal, if they might remaster Hannibal and Red Dragon too, and do a trilogy set like Hellraiser, for example. Thatíd one up Criterion, and would sell well I think, as Hannibal currently looks pretty average too. And they could release them individually down the line too. Sound good?
I'd be up for a Carrie/The Thing type deal rather than a trilogy, as I'm not much of a fan of the subsequent Hopkins films (I bloody love Manhunter and the Hannibal series though). So yeah, if they do bundle it up, they should do it with Manhunter (though SC probably won't let it go that easily).

I'm gonna see if I can get that Jeff Bridges photo blown up poster-size for my wall, and ask for it for my birthday. Or just wait for the next Starman anniversary.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrockettandTubbs View Post
On Jeff Bridges:

it's very disappointing that Thunderbolt and Lightfoot has always been crap for extra features.

It's such a great film, and a deserved Best Supporting Actor nomination for Bridges.

And you've got George Kennedy playing against type (?) as the brutal Red Leary. (He must have played other tough guy roles, but this is the one that stands out for me).
Yes, I was thinking about this recently after watching Heaven's Gate. Thunderbolt and Lightfoot is my favourite Cimino to date, and one of my favourite films of that era, and yet Second Sight released it barebones in the end. I seem to remember they apologised at the time and said the extras they had planned fell through last minute, so hopefully they'll revisit it one day and add some, or someone else will when their rights lapse. Would love to see Bridges and maybe even Eastwood talk about that film.

That said, there's a good interview with Bridges on Second Sight's release of Heaven's Gate, and they touch on T&L. So maybe get that if you haven't already?

Bridges-wise, it looks like we're finally getting The Last Picture Show via Criterion (if recent BBFC submissions are to be believed), so that should do us nicely until one of the UK labels has a brainwave and licenses both Cutter's Way and Stay Hungry. And I did previously suggest Warner Bros could do Fearless as a Premium Collection title, but they probably won't since it's basically barebones (other than a trailer). My most-wanted Bridges film is Bad Company, but I very much doubt that'll ever see an HD release, which is a huge shame.

PS: I watched the new Soderbergh series Mosiac recently, and Beau Bridges was in it. The Landlord would be an incredible announcement for any label that could grab it, and I would love to see a UK Blu-ray of The Incident, but I think Simply Media have home video rights at the moment so it might not be for a while. I quite liked him in Child's Play too, but that's Paramount, so doubt it'll see a UK release. More likely to see Norma Rae released before any of these though.
Thanks given by:
CrockettandTubbs (02-07-2018), Indiana Jonezzz... (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 07:29 PM   #2243
Banned

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by rapta View Post
Yes, a lot of people bang on about Rick Dekard, Indiana Jones or Han Solo, but I reckon Witness is overall my favourite Harrion Ford performance. I do like him in Apocalypse Now too though, but probably because that's one of my very favourite films.

I seem to remember hearing the current BD of Witness isn't that amazing but I've held off buying the DVD so would pick this up in a 2 for £15 if they did announce it. Reckon there's a good chance it's the kind of film Paramount would bring to the Premium Collection, so let's wait and see.

PS: never seen The Mosquito Coast but would like to!
Are Paramount joining the Premium Collection?
Witness has been on Blu elsewhere for years. It's not the best quality it could be. It seems to have been reissued at least twice in the US in 2015 and 2017 but in the same version as before.
As its so cheap I got it when it came out 5 or 6 years ago.If its a film you enjoy I'd pick up the current disc which is ok as you might be waiting a very long time for a new version.

That Casablanca bonus Blu is another of Warners (mostly) SD Blus with documentaries lasting over 7 hours so well worth a double dip if you have the basic release
Old 02-07-2018, 07:41 PM   #2244
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man From Hammer View Post
Are Paramount joining the Premium Collection?
Witness has been on Blu elsewhere for years. It's not the best quality it could be. It seems to have been reissued at least twice in the US in 2015 and 2017 but in the same version as before.
As its so cheap I got it when it came out 5 or 6 years ago.If its a film you enjoy I'd pick up the current disc which is ok as you might be waiting a very long time for a new version.

That Casablanca bonus Blu is another of Warners (mostly) SD Blus with documentaries lasting over 7 hours so well worth a double dip if you have the basic release
Yes, Paramount have done a few (Chinatown, Pet Sematary, Amistad, Munich) and Sony have done several more (Jason and the Argonauts, Gattaca, Donnie Brasco, Casualties of War, Legends of the Fall, Sex Lies and Videotape, Lost Horizon, Mr. Smith Goes to Washington), so it's not just Warner Bros as initially thought. I was actually thinking whether Warner Bros might even suggest to Sony or Paramount to release certain titles - such as Papillon or The Man Who Would Be King - that WB don't have UK rights to. I guess we'll have to find out!

And yes I do have the basic Casablanca disc which I picked up for £5-6 as a blind-buy and loved it, so will definitely want to upgrade once that's in the next 2 for £15 offer!
Old 02-07-2018, 09:11 PM   #2245
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Ha! Not even listed on the HMV site yet but turns out I was right about My Own Private Idaho:

Source here.

Also, there are a few confirmed extras for Badlands and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, but My Own Private Idaho seems to be barebones?

Either way, this is either something of an 'up yours' to Criterion, or a result of Criterion UK majorly dropping the ball on some key Warner Bros acquisitions.
Thanks given by:
Foggy (02-07-2018), joy-division (02-07-2018), Rottweiler30 (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 09:19 PM   #2246

Jun 2014

Quote:
Haha, just knew you were gonna mention Starman! Hey, if I have my way then at least I get a big poster of Harrison Ford looking concerned...

As for The Silence of the Lambs, I think it'd pretty obvious by now that Criterion don't have UK rights and therefore it'll probably be an Arrow release. In which case, well done to Arrow for swiping another fast one, 'cause that's gonna sell like hotcakes. Also, open goal on the artwork side of things (the Criterion design is genuinely shit).
Bfi are currently doing a 4k restoration of SotL They have released a trailer showing off the new presentation. A pity that Arrow didn't pick it up as that would have made for a very nice box set, but hopefully Bfi will cram the booklet full of new info.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:20 PM   #2247
Blu-ray Archduke

Dec 2008
UK

As much as it sucks Criteron arenít in the game, Iím up for getting all three of those films.
"Film lovers are sick people." - FranÁois Truffaut
[FADE TO BLACK]
Old 02-07-2018, 09:39 PM   #2248
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Theta Sigma View Post
Bfi are currently doing a 4k restoration of SotL They have released a trailer showing off the new presentation. A pity that Arrow didn't pick it up as that would have made for a very nice box set, but hopefully Bfi will cram the booklet full of new info.
BFI didn't do a 4K restoration, they're just distributing it theatrically alongside Park Circus. It was actually restored by MGM, so could have been licensed to any of the UK boutique labels since Criterion still haven't announced it here. Most likely is Arrow Video, since they recently released other restored MGM titles (e.g. Carrie).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foggy View Post
As much as it sucks Criteron arenít in the game, Iím up for getting all three of those films.
Me too. Heard the encode for Idaho is crappy anyway, so be interested to see how the WB fares. Assuming these are all from the same source, theoretically the WB discs could be better encoded. The only thing these are lacking are the decent amount of extras Criterion were offering.
Old 02-07-2018, 09:52 PM   #2249
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Ha! Not even listed on the HMV site yet but turns out I was right about My Own Private Idaho:

Source here.

Also, there are a few confirmed extras for Badlands and McCabe & Mrs. Miller, but My Own Private Idaho seems to be barebones?

Either way, this is either something of an 'up yours' to Criterion, or a result of Criterion UK majorly dropping the ball on some key Warner Bros acquisitions.
Never seen Idaho, but it’s cool there’s a few extras for Badlands and McCabe. TBH, I’m not really too bothered about extras nowadays, it depends on the film and the specific extras. I’d obviously rather have them, but I rarely have time to watch them. I can barely watch the films I buy, let alone all the behind the scenes stuff, so I ain’t too fussed anymore.

I’ll gladly pick up those 2 when there’s a 2 for £15 next time, should be around summer I guess. Is Idaho any good?
Old 02-07-2018, 10:06 PM   #2250
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2013
Hants, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indiana Jonezzz... View Post
Never seen Idaho, but it’s cool there’s a few extras for Badlands and McCabe. TBH, I’m not really too bothered about extras nowadays, it depends on the film and the specific extras. I’d obviously rather have them, but I rarely have time to watch them. I can barely watch the films I buy, let alone all the behind the scenes stuff, so I ain’t too fussed anymore.

I’ll gladly pick up those 2 when there’s a 2 for £15 next time, should be around summer I guess. Is Idaho any good?
Me too, to be honest, though I increasingly leave a bit of time after watching a disc to check out at least one of the extras, and then come back to watch the others next time I rewatch. That way I'm actually getting the most enjoyment out of my discs!

But yes, the film is the most important for me, so I'm not going to stubbornly ignore these. That said, I'll be a little miffed if I buy these and end up having to double-dip when Criterion announce them because either WB or Criterion had a change of heart and decided to port the Criterion disc over. Malick and Altman are especially two of my favourites so I would be tempted to double-dip.

And yes, Idaho is one of Van Sants better films. Years since I saw it but he was pretty consistent up until Good Will Hunting (though in my opinion it's only in recent years he's waned). Anyway, River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves...what more could you want? Easy upgrade for me (though I might keep my DVD for the extras, if this does turn out to be completely barebones).
Thanks given by:
Indiana Jonezzz... (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 10:23 PM   #2251
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2010
Scotland

Quote:
Me too, to be honest, though I increasingly leave a bit of time after watching a disc to check out at least one of the extras, and then come back to watch the others next time I rewatch. That way I'm actually getting the most enjoyment out of my discs!

But yes, the film is the most important for me, so I'm not going to stubbornly ignore these. That said, I'll be a little miffed if I buy these and end up having to double-dip when Criterion announce them because either WB or Criterion had a change of heart and decided to port the Criterion disc over. Malick and Altman are especially two of my favourites so I would be tempted to double-dip.

And yes, Idaho is one of Van Sants better films. Years since I saw it but he was pretty consistent up until Good Will Hunting (though in my opinion it's only in recent years he's waned). Anyway, River Phoenix and Keanu Reeves...what more could you want? Easy upgrade for me (though I might keep my DVD for the extras, if this does turn out to be completely barebones).
Thanks, I might consider it down the line then. I’ll watch the trailer and have a little read about it, and see if it floats my boat. Haven’t actually seen the other 2 either, but I know more about them, and have fancied giving them a go for some time. Might even go MENTAL and buy them at 2 for £25. The codes will bring in some cash at least.
Old 02-07-2018, 10:44 PM   #2252
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2011
Inverness

Quote:
Yes, a lot of people bang on about Rick Dekard, Indiana Jones or Han Solo, but I reckon Witness is overall my favourite Harrion Ford performance. I do like him in Apocalypse Now too though, but probably because that's one of my very favourite films.

I seem to remember hearing the current BD of Witness isn't that amazing but I've held off buying the DVD so would pick this up in a 2 for £15 if they did announce it. Reckon there's a good chance it's the kind of film Paramount would bring to the Premium Collection, so let's wait and see.

PS: never seen The Mosquito Coast but would like to!
OMG! you have to!

Ford, Helen Mirren & River Phoenix in the same film directed by Weir? No brainer!
Old 02-07-2018, 11:16 PM   #2253
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
Me too. Heard the encode for Idaho is crappy anyway, so be interested to see how the WB fares. Assuming these are all from the same source, theoretically the WB discs could be better encoded. The only thing these are lacking are the decent amount of extras Criterion were offering.
The WB disc is much better encoded than the Criterion.

Check out the wall with the arrow sign:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...0&l=0&i=2&go=1
Top Ten Most Wanted Blu-rays: Amphibian Man (1962) - Big Wednesday (1978) - Danger: Diabolik (1968) - The Devils (1971) - The Final Programme (1973) - Hard Eight (1996) - Lawn Dogs (1997) - Martin (1977) - O Lucky Man! (1973) - Static (1986)
Old 02-07-2018, 11:26 PM   #2254
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2013
Scotland

Definitive, my ass! That's really poor from Criterion.
Old 02-07-2018, 11:37 PM   #2255
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
The WB disc is much better encoded than the Criterion.

Check out the wall with the arrow sign:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...0&l=0&i=2&go=1
here, another comparison:
https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...8&l=0&i=0&go=1

So, are we sure it will be the exact same disc with the German one?
Old 02-07-2018, 11:48 PM   #2256
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
So, are we sure it will be the exact same disc with the German one?
WB generally use the same disc worldwide.
Top Ten Most Wanted Blu-rays: Amphibian Man (1962) - Big Wednesday (1978) - Danger: Diabolik (1968) - The Devils (1971) - The Final Programme (1973) - Hard Eight (1996) - Lawn Dogs (1997) - Martin (1977) - O Lucky Man! (1973) - Static (1986)
Thanks given by:
thinredline (02-08-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:04 PM   #2257
Special Member

Mar 2009
UK

first two titles of interest to me have popped up - wondering what the consensus is on the quality of discs? are they unpredictable? generic / worldwide discs controlled by studios but limited license to HMV? interested in 'badlands' and 'mccabe and mrs miller'. any help appreciated.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:48 PM   #2258
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by logboy View Post
first two titles of interest to me have popped up - wondering what the consensus is on the quality of discs? are they unpredictable? generic / worldwide discs controlled by studios but limited license to HMV? interested in 'badlands' and 'mccabe and mrs miller'. any help appreciated.
If patience is possible they have a 2 for £15 offer, I think twice a year, so get them then.
"I have to return some videotapes"
Old 02-11-2018, 05:04 PM   #2259
Special Member

Mar 2009
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu MacReady View Post
If patience is possible they have a 2 for £15 offer, I think twice a year, so get them then.
good advice.

... quality of the discs?
Old 02-11-2018, 05:40 PM   #2260
Special Member

Mar 2014
London, England

Quote:
Originally Posted by logboy View Post
good advice.

... quality of the discs?
The 2 you're asking about aren't released until March 19, so you'll be hard pressed to get anyone give you an overview of the quality of these particular discs yet.
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be Ray Liotta.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland