Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
£25.00
Singin' in the Rain (Blu-ray)
£4.99
The LEGO Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.46
Ice Cold in Alex (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
£4.99
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (Blu-ray)
£12.99
Sin Nombre (Blu-ray)
£7.56
Ship of Fools (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Tom of Finland (Blu-ray)
£8.99
The Boneyard (Blu-ray)
£12.99
The 15:17 to Paris (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Troy: Fall of A City (Blu-ray)
£20.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-05-2018, 01:01 PM   #101
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

I dare say a slip doesn't detract from the effort put into acquiring titles and their presentations. I know what you mean about a collection with sporadic slips though.

I wish they would sell slips via their site like they were considering a while ago.
Old 02-05-2018, 03:55 PM   #102
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laughing Gravy View Post
There are a ton of Shaw Brothers films on Amazon video in the UK. I have watched Killer Constable, Bastard Swordsman, What Price Honesty, Oily Maniac, The Bells of Death and Human Lanterns. Human Lanterns runs for 94min - not sure whether it's the full uncut version or not. I hadn't watched a Shaw Brothers film until last week and am now hooked. Some of the films on Amazon contain the original language with subtitles ( my preference) although there seem to be a lot with the English dub. My favourite so far is the Bells of Death which I thought was terrific.
I'd buy Bells of Death on Blu... if 88 Asia is listening...
Thanks given by:
yer wot? (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 04:24 PM   #103

Feb 2018

Would buy a blu ray of Bells of Death too. It had a DVD release in the US a while ago and I was thinking of picking it up in the meantime. Really enjoyed What Price Honesty as well and would love to own that on Blu Ray too. Does anyone know whether this has had a release anywhere?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Thanks given by:
yer wot? (02-05-2018)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #104
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Funkytown

I'm thinking of agressivly picking up more 88 Shaws. I've been in that weird mood where I needs me some more chop-socki, and this seems to be the perfect way to scratch that itch.

I just wish some of the "coming soons" would hurry up and go live so I can send them some love (and money)
Old 02-05-2018, 09:56 PM   #105

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
Which titles were released with slips via HMV / Amazon etc.?

Pretty sure there were a couple. I've yet to pick them up.
Judging by the wording on the item profile which matches that of The Brave Archer rather than the other 88 Asia releases The Super Inframan slipcover isn't an 88 Shop exclusive.

https://88-films.myshopify.com/colle...=6113515864102
Thanks given by:
Ste7en (02-05-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:28 AM   #106
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Funkytown

So what I want to know is - okay, China gave no ****s about copyright back in the 70's (listen to all the James Bond and Star Wars scores appropriated for Kung Fu trailers), so Shaw Brothers could get away using the Superman S. How in the world is 88 Films getting away with a big ol' Superman shield on the front cover of their artwork in 2018?

Old 02-06-2018, 07:17 AM   #107
Power Member

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post
So what I want to know is - okay, China gave no ****s about copyright back in the 70's (listen to all the James Bond and Star Wars scores appropriated for Kung Fu trailers), so Shaw Brothers could get away using the Superman S. How in the world is 88 Films getting away with a big ol' Superman shield on the front cover of their artwork in 2018?

Don't tip them off, but the cops are walking up to their door now!

Well, 88 did not design that cover; they just license everything from Celestial. It`s Celestial that would probably get the cease and desist order. But, I`m no lawyer. So, what do I know?
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 03:20 PM   #108

Dec 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Fez View Post

Most likely they're counting on it simply going under the DC and/or Warner's radar or them simply not caring enough to go after a small UK label using a 40 year old foreign poster as the alternative artwork on a release that will sell a few thousand copies.

Or maybe Shaw Brothers long since came to an arrangement with DC and/or Warner's?

Or perhaps it's just another example of 88 Films brass necking, after all this lot tried releasing titles without BBFC certification and I seem to remember have put 18 cert trailers on 15 cert releases (either through carelessness or as I prefer to think "zero shits given")
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (02-06-2018)
Old 02-08-2018, 07:46 PM   #109
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Well, still no preorder for Inframan, but Dragon Missile and One-Armed Swordsman did go live, so I grabbed those two, Masked Avengers and The Brave Archer. And I had enough 88 Points to get one of them for free, so it's a good deal all around!
Old 02-14-2018, 12:51 PM   #110

Jul 2012
Philippines

Id recommend 8 Diagram Pole fighter, 5 Deadly Venoms and 36th Chamber of Shaolin
Old 02-14-2018, 02:09 PM   #111
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by lim.davidd View Post
Id recommend 8 Diagram Pole fighter, 5 Deadly Venoms and 36th Chamber of Shaolin
All of which are with Dragon Dynasty.
Old 02-14-2018, 02:58 PM   #112

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
All of which are with Dragon Dynasty.
Maybe they have licence to USA only????

Would like to see 88 releasing Magnificent Ruffians or Martial Club...
Old 02-15-2018, 07:25 AM   #113
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by killer_constable View Post
Maybe they have licence to USA only????
DD licensed their titles for the UK also. They only released four of them through Momentum and only on DVD. Any company UK wishing to sub-licence would have to strike a deal with DD. How long they have the rights I don't know. But if they were available, titles like the ones mentioned (36th Chamber, etc) would've been snapped up immediately. Instead, we're seeing a lot of second-tier titles.
Thanks given by:
killer_constable (02-15-2018)
Old 02-15-2018, 12:06 PM   #114

Feb 2016
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markgway View Post
DD licensed their titles for the UK also. They only released four of them through Momentum and only on DVD. Any company UK wishing to sub-licence would have to strike a deal with DD. How long they have the rights I don't know. But if they were available, titles like the ones mentioned (36th Chamber, etc) would've been snapped up immediately. Instead, we're seeing a lot of second-tier titles.
One Armed Swordsman was a DD title so there is hope they’ve lost the rights to some films and do Celestial really want to be associated with a Harvey Weinstein company?
Old 02-15-2018, 02:56 PM   #115
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2013
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xapi3 View Post
One Armed Swordsman was a DD title so there is hope they’ve lost the rights to some films and do Celestial really want to be associated with a Harvey Weinstein company?
Yeah, also The Flying Guillotine.

Maybe the rights have lapsed or not all of the titles licensed for the US were licensed for the UK?

88 Films could perhaps clear this one up...

Here's the list:

http://www.hkcinema.co.uk/upcoming_C..._US_UK_DVD.htm
Old 02-16-2018, 04:40 AM   #116
Power Member

Mar 2013
-

Well, there are talks now about what is going to be done with the Weinstein company. So, it will be interesting if it gets sold and to whom. Hopefully, a lot of those martial arts titles (and not just Shaws) could see the light of day in a none edited/butchered form. But, then again, I like to dream.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland