Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Christopher Nolan Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€69.90

Blade Runner 4K (Blu-ray)
€14.26

Interstellar 4K (Blu-ray)
€19.00
3 hrs ago
Harry Potter: 8-Film Collection 4K (Blu-ray)
€66.75
3 hrs ago
The Funhouse (Blu-ray)
€26.93
13 hrs ago
The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
€22.00
46 min ago
Hacksaw Ridge 4K (Blu-ray)
€13.89

The Girl in the Fog (Blu-ray)
€10.00

Legion: The Complete Season One (Blu-ray)
€10.80
7 hrs ago
Bridget Jones 3 Film Collection (Blu-ray)
€11.49
46 min ago
Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
€13.49
46 min ago
Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
€17.67
2 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy

Old 01-17-2012, 02:04 PM   #41

Feb 2011
UK

nitin, I'm guessing it will take a couple of weeks for the Madman blu-ray to arrive, but I will post some comments here as and when.
Old 01-18-2012, 04:32 AM   #42

Apr 2011
-

Nice, thanks for the link! That's going to end up around 35 after VAT and handling fees, but a far better price nonetheless.
Old 09-21-2012, 02:39 AM   #43
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2008
down at Fraggle Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzcarraldo View Post
The Madman looks like one to own then, despite the yellow subs, although it's eye-wateringly expensive atm: $40AUD + shipping + duty = close to /€50 to import this baby into the EU!

the yellow subs had me worried, but having watched the disc tonight - (yes, it's been in my 'to watch' pile for quite some time) it didn't hinder the image as much as I had thought they would. The subs, are NOT like Sony's 'Big Bird yellow' that are prevailent on their foreign film DVD's, those subs are the most extreme and the most hideous, here though it's a light shade and not obtrusive.

as for the 4K restoration, my eyes were utterly transfixed to the screen. The colors, the sharpness, the dimensionality in some shots is simply astounding - during the first dinner sequence I almost wanted to reach in and move and touch the candles and glasses.

highly (highly) recommended!

Last edited by Dubstar; 09-21-2012 at 02:42 AM.
Old 12-17-2012, 03:27 PM   #44

Jul 2010
Raleigh, NC

I have debated on the Madman edition for six months since I got a region free blu-player as the Criterion is one of the most disappointing releases I have (despite the special features and packaging). I ordered and can't wait to see the difference... especially since the price dropped!!!!

What are the opinions of those who own it? We seem to only have feedback from one person.
Old 12-17-2012, 06:47 PM   #45

Feb 2011
UK

I've owned the BFI, Criterion, Medusa and Madman releases and the Madman is the best edition as the PQ for the film is superb, plus it has a great documentary on Visconti (which has appeared on other Visconti DVD releases). The Medusa has a larger file size, but the difference of the blacks is very noticeable. For example, during the scene where they play cards, the folds on the priest's clothes can clearly be seen and they display detail, on the Medusa there's almost no detail. The documentary on the Medusa release though is pretty cool. The yellow subs on the Madman are a slightly faded yellow, they're certainly not the bright yellow you get on other releases.
Old 12-17-2012, 08:50 PM   #46
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

I have the Madman now as well as the Criterion. I have to say I am not a 100% convinced the PQ on the Madman is better, mainly because the colours look truer/better on the Criterion to me. The Madman looks to have less noise which is expected since its from a 4k restoration but personally I think the Criterion is a very good disc.

Watching on a 55" screen, maybe the differences are more pronounced on a bigger screen.
Old 12-17-2012, 11:28 PM   #47

Feb 2011
UK

The Criterion has a massive file size and bit rate, which makes it very strong.. and makes it seem closer to the Madman and Medusa than it would be on a level playing field (the Medusa is closest and from memory it's about 8GB smaller at least). It's such a shame Criterion didn't wait for the Film Foundation restoration. If their release used the restoration it would clearly be the best. Hopefully one day they or someone else will release 'The Leopard' to that standard of release.
Old 12-18-2012, 08:42 AM   #48
Blu-ray Ninja

Feb 2010

well bitrate isnt everything on blu, so Criterion winning that part isnt really anything IMHO.

I guess its a matter of preference, the Madman has less noise and does appear to be naturally sharper but I just think the colours on the Criterion are better/more suitable. And although it looks slightly artifically sharpened, at least on a 55" screen, it doesnt bother me much.
Old 05-12-2016, 05:28 PM   #49
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2010
San Jose, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RDA View Post
I've owned the BFI, Criterion, Medusa and Madman releases and the Madman is the best edition as the PQ for the film is superb, plus it has a great documentary on Visconti (which has appeared on other Visconti DVD releases). The Medusa has a larger file size, but the difference of the blacks is very noticeable. For example, during the scene where they play cards, the folds on the priest's clothes can clearly be seen and they display detail, on the Medusa there's almost no detail. The documentary on the Medusa release though is pretty cool. The yellow subs on the Madman are a slightly faded yellow, they're certainly not the bright yellow you get on other releases.
Bringing up an old thread. I just recently received my Italian Medusa disc and I wonder if the problem with black levels is the same problem that appeared on TCM 2nd pressing release of Lady From Shanghai?

And what I mean is you can actually bring back some detail lost in the blacks/black crushed areas by adjusting the black level settings on your TV. On my calibrated screen the setting for brightness is set at 47. But if I raised it by about 30 clicks (77), which is what I had to do for a while with my old TCM Lady From Shanghai disc 2nd pressing, then detail lost in those black areas comes back in some/several cases.
Old 02-08-2018, 06:59 PM   #50
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Does anyone know where the Madman release can be purchased? I checked every site I could think of that would sell Australian Blu-rays. Nowhere to be found, only the DVD.

Also, if anyone could post screen shots or link me to a review with them that would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:41 PM   #51
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Anyone? It's a shame that there's not a perfect presentation of this film on Blu-ray for English speakers that's accessible. Forgoing the aspect ratio debate, which I have no horse in the race on and feel is irrelevant given the Criterion's cropping among other immense flaws, there's an obstacle at every turn for someone trying to purchase the beautiful restoration.

I haven't found caps for the Australian BD, so from what I have to look at the French disc is the best, with the Japanese BD coming in a very close second place with just slightly inferior compression. Problem is, both lack English subtitles (not that it would deter me but the Japanese disc is also expensive). The Australian BD seems to share the look of these two supposedly, but cannot be purchased anywhere, like it never existed. So there goes my hopes of seeing the best presentation of the film on Blu-ray.

The only accessible edition that uses the restoration is the Italian BD, but it's compromised by boosted colors and crushed blacks. If it weren't for the problematic black levels, I could live with it. Though even other colors evidently dominate at times. See the red of the carpet overtaking the grays and browns in the Italian BD:

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=3&x=...4&l=0&i=8&go=1

Part of me wonders if the Criterion is actually the better choice over the Medusa, but it's so dated and ugly with its chunky grain, sharpened look, yellow cast, and it's too bright so the blacks are lighter. It doesn't resemble a beautiful, naturally filmic image like the French and Japanese discs (and to a degree the Italian). I can't really bring myself to make that purchase, I wish Criterion would've waited and used the restoration, or at least would rerelease it with that, but they likely never will. I would really prefer to have the Australian BD if at all possible, but I may have to settle on the Medusa disc, which is a shame. It also has the worst cover art out of all of them.
Old 02-11-2018, 11:13 PM   #52

Nov 2009
-
-

I too was unable to find a copy of the Madman release (or any screenshots for that matter) so I settled with the French release. I avoided the Italian release because of the noticeable black crush.

After seeing this movie so many times with English subs, I'm able to thoroughly enjoy the French release without them. I still wish I could find a copy of the Madman, though. Hopefully someone else will release an English friendly release of the latest restoration.
Old 02-13-2018, 07:15 PM   #53
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2011
Arizona, USA

Would anyone who owns the Madman release and didn't especially care for the movie be willing to sell it?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Italy