Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99
23 hrs ago
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99

The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99
19 hrs ago
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
23 hrs ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
23 hrs ago
Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Old 10-26-2016, 12:38 AM   #21

Jun 2012
Dallas, Texas
Default No RUBY blu ray yet. :(

We fans need to keep pestering VCI to finish the restoration or have someone do it for them. This great Piper Laurie flick deserves a blu ray release!
Old 10-26-2016, 02:42 AM   #22
Power Member

Nov 2011
NJ, USA

Rifftrax just released Ruby in August... Possibly in connection with VCI? Was their transfer from VCI's new master?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:18 PM   #23
Power Member

Sep 2012

Not sure what it means, but director Curtis Harrington posted yesterday on his FB page that rumor has it VCI is working on a Blu ray.

No idea if Curtis is getting old news or breaking a scoop?
Old 03-23-2017, 05:21 PM   #24

Dec 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by babybreese View Post
Not sure what it means, but director Curtis Harrington posted yesterday on his FB page that rumor has it VCI is working on a Blu ray.

No idea if Curtis is getting old news or breaking a scoop?
I have a scoop for you. Curtis has been dead for ten years.
Old 03-23-2017, 05:47 PM   #25
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

For a second I thought I was in the Twilight Zone.
Old 03-27-2017, 06:24 PM   #26

Mar 2017

I've got the scoop on the Ruby Blu-ray. Short story long:

VCI ran into a problem trying to locate the film negative. It was originally thought to be stored at Warner Brothers, but a search came up empty. A 35mm print was later found at HBO, of all places. HBO said they needed Steve Krantz Productions to grant them permission to release the film elements. (Krantz passed away ten years ago.)

Finally, in January, after months of wading through legal red tape, VCI gained access to the elements and now the film is in-house. Next comes the restoration process and finalization of the extras. It seems like we will be getting just one version: the theatrical cut, with most of Harrington's scenes intact. The version recut for network television and put out on VHS in the 1980s with new scenes shot by a different director was officially disowned by Harrington, who replaced his name with the dreaded "Alan Smithee" pseudonym.

The same commentary with Harrington and Laurie from the original 2001 DVD release will be carried over, along with the hourlong interview with Harrington and David Del Valle. The most significant new extra is a brand new audio commentary by Del Valle and Nathaniel Bell, both of whom collaborated on last year's excellent Whoever Slew Auntie Roo? Blu-ray.

So, it looks like this will be available soon, perhaps as early as June. All the delays and setbacks notwithstanding, it seems like VCI is pouring a lot of care into this release. Personally, I can't wait to see what the film looks like in HD, since Harrington is one of my favorite horror stylists.
Thanks given by:
Fred Sliman (04-02-2017), montyb (06-15-2017), NoirFan (03-27-2017)
Old 03-27-2017, 07:45 PM   #27
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Thanks for the update! I hope VCI lays off the DNR for this one, I've been very frustrated by many of their BD upgrades.
Old 05-19-2017, 01:57 AM   #28
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2011

Here is an even bigger scoop.

Release date: September 12

Quote:
Bonus Materials:

2K Film Transfer and Restoration
2001 David Del Valle Video Interview with Director, Curtis Harrington
Commentary Track – Dir: Curtis Harrington & actress Piper Laurie
Sinister Image Episode – David Del Valle Interviews Curtis Harrington- Vol 1
Sinister Image Episode – David Del Valle Interviews Curtis Harrington- Vol 2
2017 Commentary Track with David Del Valle & ‘Curtis Harrington’ expert – Nate Bell
Liner Notes by Nate Bell
Original Theatrical Trailer – Restored HD
Includes a Bonus DVD copy!

Sales Points:

RUBY held the box office record for being the highest grossing Independent horror release, until HALLOWEEN!
Digitally Restored Picture and Sound
First Time on Blu-ray!
Mastered in 2K from the original 35mm Negative
Directed by cult Curtis Harrington (Night Tide, Queen of Blood, Voyage to the Prehistoric Planet, Games, What’s the Matter with Helen?, Whoever Slew Auntie Roo?, The Killing Kind)
Impressive cast featuring Piper Laurie, as Ruby, (Carrie – 1976) and Stuart Whitman (Those Magnificent Men in Their Flying Machines – 1965)
Thanks given by:
montyb (06-15-2017)
Old 09-18-2017, 06:06 AM   #29
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

I could be wrong, but I think this may have been authored with PC RGB levels. Either way, there seems to be a significant amount of black crush throughout the film.
Thanks given by:
Clark Kent (10-07-2017)
Old 09-20-2017, 07:56 PM   #30

Aug 2016
Bloomfield, NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by zbinks View Post
I could be wrong, but I think this may have been authored with PC RGB levels. Either way, there seems to be a significant amount of black crush throughout the film.
I just watched my Blu Ray of Ruby last night. Does your's go to black in the scene where the guys is getting slapped around by an invisible hand in the swamp? The one where the guy ends up dead in the tree. I get the sound but no picture in that scene.

Thanks!!

Elio
Elio

Epson 5040UB Front Projector, Carada 100" Brilliant White Criterion Screen, Yamaha RX A 3070 Aventage Receiver, Region Free Oppo 103D BD Player, Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD Player, Roku Ultra, X Box One S, Definitive Technology 8040ST Mains, DT 8040 CS Center, 2 Pairs DT 8040 SR Surrounds, DT Cinema 1000's Front Height, DT SuperCube 2000 Rear Subwoofer. Harmony Ultimate Remote
Old 09-20-2017, 08:11 PM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by eliocon View Post
I just watched my Blu Ray of Ruby last night. Does your's go to black in the scene where the guys is getting slapped around by an invisible hand in the swamp? The one where the guy ends up dead in the tree. I get the sound but no picture in that scene.

Thanks!!

Elio
Yes. VCI has acknowledged that there was an error and will be instituting a replacement program.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCIMovieMan View Post
I can't believe it but I'm back again...already! And since we're laying it all on the table, it looks like we have just discovered a problem on RUBY too! Talk about being snake-bit! One of our good fans was actually praising our work on the new RUBY Blu-ray at our Facebook page, (definitely no jaggies) however, he pointed out that there are a few seconds, starting at 21:30, where the picture cuts to black in the middle of a scene before coming back in. This is a crazy error but we will definitely fix it ASAP. Bad discs will be replaced at no charge and once the details are worked out, we will let everyone know how to get a free replacement.

I'm about at the point where I believe that 'NoirFan' may be right and we should just get out of the home video biz... not really! I'm too old and dumb to learn a new trade, so we will just have to try harder.

Bob Blair
Old 11-02-2017, 07:38 PM   #32
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Any updates? It’s been over a month.
Old 11-02-2017, 07:40 PM   #33
Blu-ray Baron

Jun 2012

Hmm. A thread name change and a move to the wishlist section. What's going on here?
Old 11-02-2017, 11:53 PM   #34
Blu-ray Count

Aug 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Any updates? Its been over a month.
Nothing I'm aware of. I also sent VCI an email asking about the One Million BC replacement program a couple of weeks ago, and no reply.
Old 11-03-2017, 12:19 AM   #35
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

I just tried sending VCI a message through the contact form on their website about 5 times but I kept getting an error stating that required fields were not filled out (they all were). Fun!
Old 11-24-2017, 08:04 PM   #36
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Yeah, so... did VCI seriously address this issue and promise replacements then disappear?
Old 12-01-2017, 09:34 PM   #37
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2011
Illinois

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCI Horror Movies
We now have REMASTERED versions of the ONE MILLION B.C. Blu-ray, and RUBY Blu-ray/DVD Combo for sale. If you had purchased one of these titles previously, you are eligible for a free replacement disc.
Note: the reported anomaly on ONE MILLION B.C. was more noticeable on very large screens (70 or bigger), less pronounced on smaller screens at the recommended viewing distance, and may not even be noticeable to some viewers. The ONE MILLION B.C. DVD was not affected by this issue. The missing footage on the Ruby Blu-ray and DVD has been reinserted in its proper place.
To order a replacement disc, please provide a copy of your receipt or Amazon.com order number to our customer service department, along with your complete mailing address. Here are the options for submitting your information for a replacement disc: call 1-800-331-4077 (office hours 9:00a 5:00p, Mon Fri); send an email to reba@vcientertainment.com; message us on one of our Facebook Pages: https://www.facebook.com/VCIHorror/ or https://www.facebook.com/VCIClassicMovies/ ; or by traditional mail to VCI Customer Service, 11333 E 60th Place, Tulsa OK 74146.
https://www.facebook.com/VCIHorror/p...19077008109572
Old 12-01-2017, 10:33 PM   #38

Jan 2010
New York

I was contacted by a rep for VCI they will sending out the replacement disc for One Million BC and Ruby. I was contacted for proof of purchase and received a quick reply after I sent it. Very well handled
Old 02-08-2018, 07:39 PM   #39

Aug 2016
Bloomfield, NJ

So what's the deal with replacement discs for this movie? I've reached out to VCI several times and haven't ever got a response.

Thanks!!
Elio

Epson 5040UB Front Projector, Carada 100" Brilliant White Criterion Screen, Yamaha RX A 3070 Aventage Receiver, Region Free Oppo 103D BD Player, Toshiba HD A1 HD DVD Player, Roku Ultra, X Box One S, Definitive Technology 8040ST Mains, DT 8040 CS Center, 2 Pairs DT 8040 SR Surrounds, DT Cinema 1000's Front Height, DT SuperCube 2000 Rear Subwoofer. Harmony Ultimate Remote
Old 02-25-2018, 12:58 AM   #40
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

I bought this on Amazon when the price dropped to $12.xx the other day and I received the corrected copy, which can be identified by the “REV1” indication, located below the UPC on the back cover.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Wish Lists

Tags
blood ruby, blu ray, horror, ruby, vci