Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Night of the Living Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.24
It's Alive Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$33.06
The Boneyard (Blu-ray)
$16.49
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
The Lost World (Blu-ray)
$15.26
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors

Old 02-02-2018, 03:33 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUCanadian View Post
Wow, great conversation going on here! Im currently house hunting and one of the must haves is a room for where Ill be setting up my first dedicated home theatre. I plan on getting the JVC RS-540 (or the new version, if announced in the later half of the year). Im also located in the GTA and have been looking at eastporters and gibby's for prices. Ive got a lot to learn regarding this whole process so all this info is great!
Thanks for sharing everyone
Gibby did good too, I bought my AVR and in-ceiling and in-walk speakers from them last March. Great prices on B-Stock stuff too. They have a nice Atmos Demo room with some high end Klipsch gear if memory recalls.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:46 PM   #42
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
No masking here, I'm completely content with black bars, they don't bother me one bit. My JVC, though old throws an adequate enough black to me that it is a non-issue. Now I've got some friends with brand new OLED screens with barely any bezel and you honestly can't even see the TV when the lights are off and a 2.4 picture is being shown, no way any projector at a reasonable price is going to get there but I've seen the 45ES in action and think its blacks are great.

As far as the width of the bezel, that is just a personal preference thing, I've had a front projection setup for a while and I've had several different looks, one where my entire screen wall was black velvet, another borderless screen and now the 2"-3" black velvet boarder and I like the look of a rich black velvet boarder best.

As far as screen gain goes, higher the gain the more light that is reflected back to you making a brighter picture. I've got a 100% light controlled room and I want as bright of a picture as I can get. My zoom isn't maxed, but as the bulb ages you loose brightness and a positive gain screen can only help in my opinion. If you've been to EP's Dave has some screen samples he can hold up in front of the screen while you're demoing showing the difference in gain. When I bought my screen almost 4 years ago now he showed me the difference between the high gain and lower gain screen and the decision was easy.

If you're close to eastporters than you're close to me You're welcome to come check out another setup if you've got the time. Drop me a PM if you're interested.
Dave was actually the guy I dealt with there. Very knowledgeable. I am sure I will be back when I can finally narrow things down. I flip flop back and forth every day between Sony 45ES, Epson 5040UB and Epson 4040/4000.

Thanks for the invite! I'll definitely shoot you a PM once I have this research done. I did not realize how much went into this lol
60" 1080p Samsung F5500 Plasma
Pioneer VSX-1018 AH-K Receiver
Outlaw Audio 7125 Amplifier
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surrounds (x4)
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-02-2018, 02:49 PM   #43
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by JurassicBD View Post
Constant height is a novelty that will run the bill up, but is largely impractical. You only stand to gain if your screen area is disproportionately wide, and you want to go with the largest screen you can in that situation. I've rarely seen a room where I felt it "might" be worth the tradeoffs and added aggravation. The added expense is more subjective. But, even in situations where the screen wall seems more appropriate for that type of screen, when you examine the room, the wall they want to hang the screen on isn't the best wall in the room for the screen, often compromising acoustics, by putting the seating position against another wall, or even restricting the throw range to a shorter distance than most projectors can achieve the size screen that would actually make such a wide screen more desirable.

Early in the BD format, Sony was pushing BD's capabilities by promoting features like subtitle shift. But as soon as the format war was over, they pretty much stopped caring about niche consumers. No content provider is remotely concerned with constant height consumers. They're only interested in what's going to sell the most products, sadly. Since the format war ended, they've been far more focused on improving automation to reduce production overhead.

Almost all content is engineered for 16:9 displays and likely will be for the foreseeable future. This is particularly true of content designed specifically for home consumption, like TV and videogames. But even with BD, where they try to preserve the original anamorphic vision of the film, you're going to run into complications, like subtitles in the black bars, that'll be cut off with constant-height setups.

And again, unless the wall you're mounting your screen on is significantly broader than it is tall, going with a constant height screen will just mean having a smaller window to watch 16:9 content in, which amounts to the majority of content available, even if not including theatrical films framed at 1.85.

The only way I would recommend going constant height is if A: your screen wall would make such a screen shape optimal for both 2.35 and 1.78 (16:9) content, and B: you have such a passion for such a setup, the added expense, aggravation, and compromise doesn't concern you.
Thanks again for the awesome explanation, Jurassic! You have been incredibly helpful considering the lack of knowledge I have about PJ setups and related info.

Your thoughts on CIH seems to be the consensus from what I have been reading as well.
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-02-2018, 02:55 PM   #44
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by samlop10 View Post
As JurassicBD and roar mentioned, going CIH is more challenging and it’s hardly worth it IMO, unless, like mentioned above, you really like your 2.40:1 films to look as big as possible. Given that you want to game and watch TV with the projector also (which 99% of them is way closer to the 16:9 ratio), then I wouldn’t think it would be convenient for you.

If you were to decide to use CIH for 2.40:1 films, you’d need either a) a projector with lens memory (which the Sony 45ES does not have) b) manually zoom and lens shift back and forth every time the AR changes (for which both methods you would be sacrificing brightness due to the zoom), or c) a player or projector that can stretch the image vertically and have an anamorphic lens to stretch the image horizontally to keep the correct proportions and use all the light available from the projector (since in this case you do not need to zoom). The last option is the best one but you’d need to buy a player that can do such a stretching of the image (since I don’t think neither the Epson nor the Sony 45ES can do), plus the anamorphic lens. You’d be looking to spend at least another $1000 for both, and even then you’d get aberrations in the image since the cheaper anamorphic lenses do not correct for the artifacts introduced by doing the optical stretch.

So overall for the great majority of people, and especially for you since this would be your first time having a dedicated home theater space, I would not recommend going for CIH. The only times when it’s worth it, IMO, you’re looking to add another $2000 dollars, plus again, most games and TV content (plus some films) are closer to the 16:9 ratio. So it’d be pretty impractical for you to go with CIH IMO.

I’ll try to see if there are any screens available online to recommend later today, but I’d definitely go to your local store like roar recommended since it’s way easier to deal with stores in person and you can actually test the material. I’d recommend white with a 1.3 gain as it’s a good balance of keeping the image bright and not modifying or risking introducing artifacts like hot-spotting. Plus that material is also usually the cheapest anyway.

Edit: automatic masking is pretty cool but it’s also pricey. I wouldn’t recommend it now. Maybe later down the line when you’ve had the projector for a while and you can spend more on screen features.
Thanks again, samlop10! I definitely agree with what you are saying and now understand why people usually forego the CIH setup.

I would be very grateful if you could recommend some screens when you get a chance. The local dealer recommended only carries one brand and, from what I understand, he has an ownership stake in it. That is the only reason I was curious to see other brands as well. I am sure the quality is great, but it is nice to see other things before deciding.

Thanks!
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-02-2018, 06:13 PM   #45
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erman_94 View Post
Thanks again, samlop10! I definitely agree with what you are saying and now understand why people usually forego the CIH setup.

I would be very grateful if you could recommend some screens when you get a chance. The local dealer recommended only carries one brand and, from what I understand, he has an ownership stake in it. That is the only reason I was curious to see other brands as well. I am sure the quality is great, but it is nice to see other things before deciding.

Thanks!
If you want to see a Stewart Screen which as far as I know is still at the upper end of the screen manufacturers last time I was in East Hamilton Radio, hey may have a Da-Lite too if memory recalls.
Old 02-02-2018, 08:06 PM   #46
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLUCanadian View Post
Wow, great conversation going on here! Im currently house hunting and one of the must haves is a room for where Ill be setting up my first dedicated home theatre. I plan on getting the JVC RS-540 (or the new version, if announced in the later half of the year). Im also located in the GTA and have been looking at eastporters and gibby's for prices. Ive got a lot to learn regarding this whole process so all this info is great!
Thanks for sharing everyone
Always good to see a fellow 49er fan here
Sony 45ES Projector; 120" Silver Ticket Screen; Dolby Atmos set up; Oppo 203 4K UHD player; Denon AVR-S710W; 55" Samsung KS8500 4K SUHDTV; Samsung K8500 4K UHD player;
Playstation 4; Playstation 3; Xbox One
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 PM   #47
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
I definitely appreciate the heads up with regards to the Epson and some reported problems. I am certainly going to look into it further and see what the consensus is.

It terms of screen, I definitely know that I want a fixed screen with slim bezels (0.75" or so). In terms of size, I am thinking 120-125" (with a likely viewing distance of 12-13 feet).

The only things I am unsure of are screen gain and whether or not to employ a CIH setup. In fact, trying to wrap my head around CIH is difficult. I have heard of "masking" systems but find the concept confusing. Not sure if you could shed some light on that and whether it would be beneficial to have.

I would say $1,000 is roughly the budget I was thinking for a screen, but not sure if that would be too little based on the projectors I am looking at. Are there particular screens more suited for each particular projector? From what I understand, a screen can make or break the image from the projector and is not a place to cut corners.

Any info you could give would be greatly appreciated and thank you so much for the help thus far!
So I looked at screens with white materials that have 1.1 - 1.3 gain, with minimal bezels and size options close to 120'. This is what I got:

Elite Screens:
https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...e+screens+aeon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00OAB...ID=51PtR-9revL
1.1 gain
No bezel (optional black velvet border on their official website)

Screen Innovations:
Zero Edge, Solar White material -call/contact
1.3 gain
3/8” bezel

EPVScreens:
Peregrine ISF eFinity, ChromaWhite material - call/contact
1.25 gain
5.1mm bezel

Stewart Filmscreen:
Balón Borderless for Home Cinema, StudioTek 130 G3 material - call/contact
1.3 gain
No bezel

Most of the fixed options seem to have bezels/borders that range from 1.5" to 4". Otherwise you go with a near bezel-free or completely bezel-free option (the ones I picked). As you can see above, two of them are completely bezel-free and the other two have very thin bezels. Elite Screens have that option available both at Amazon US and Amazon Canada. There are more ratings in the US website (with a higher average user rating) but I would recommend looking at the user ratings on both websites, of course. Unfortunately, the other three options require you to contact the company directly for a quote. A quick google search will provide you their website, and their "contact us" link is easy to find once you go to the product page and click on buy or "find dealer". I'm pretty sure at least most of them will be less than $1000 so they should be ok price-wise.
Setup:
[Show spoiler]Display: LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Yamaha RX-A3050 Receiver, Sony St Receiver (amp), Pioneer: SP-C22 C, SP-FS52 FL & FR, SP-BS22-LR SL SR & SBL SBR, Klipsch: RP-140SA FHL FHR & SHL SHR, R-10SW Sub Players: Oppo UDP-203 (with Dolby Vision), NVIDIA Shield TV, Remotes: Logitech Harmony Smart Control (Hub & Remote) with iPhone App & Echo Dot

Personal Blog (4K, Blu-ray, and Film Reviews):
wescarpenterflickreviews.wordpress.com
Latest post: Suspiria | Film & Blu-ray Review (Synapse)
Old 02-03-2018, 04:39 PM   #48
Special Member

Feb 2008
Southern NJ

Hey Erman....I sent you a "PM" about projectors...FYI
My Gear:
Sony VPL-VW385es 4K projector
Elite Lunette 115" 2.35.1 Curved screen
Denon S930H Dolby Atmos/Vision Receiver
Klipsch RB-61 II Home Theater 7.1 System
Sony Ultra HD X700 Blu-ray player
Sony PS4 Pro 4K
Harmony 1000 Touch Screen Remote
Old 02-04-2018, 11:43 PM   #49
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by roar View Post
If you want to see a Stewart Screen which as far as I know is still at the upper end of the screen manufacturers last time I was in East Hamilton Radio, hey may have a Da-Lite too if memory recalls.
Thanks, roar!

I will definitely call them up to see and check it out if they do!
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-04-2018, 11:45 PM   #50
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
So I looked at screens with white materials that have 1.1 - 1.3 gain, with minimal bezels and size options close to 120'. This is what I got:

Elite Screens:
https://www.amazon.com/Elite-Screens...e+screens+aeon

https://www.amazon.ca/gp/aw/d/B00OAB...ID=51PtR-9revL
1.1 gain
No bezel (optional black velvet border on their official website)

Screen Innovations:
Zero Edge, Solar White material -call/contact
1.3 gain
3/8” bezel

EPVScreens:
Peregrine ISF eFinity, ChromaWhite material - call/contact
1.25 gain
5.1mm bezel

Stewart Filmscreen:
Balón Borderless for Home Cinema, StudioTek 130 G3 material - call/contact
1.3 gain
No bezel

Most of the fixed options seem to have bezels/borders that range from 1.5" to 4". Otherwise you go with a near bezel-free or completely bezel-free option (the ones I picked). As you can see above, two of them are completely bezel-free and the other two have very thin bezels. Elite Screens have that option available both at Amazon US and Amazon Canada. There are more ratings in the US website (with a higher average user rating) but I would recommend looking at the user ratings on both websites, of course. Unfortunately, the other three options require you to contact the company directly for a quote. A quick google search will provide you their website, and their "contact us" link is easy to find once you go to the product page and click on buy or "find dealer". I'm pretty sure at least most of them will be less than $1000 so they should be ok price-wise.
WOW! I was not expecting that. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your efforts!

Would you be able to tell me what does one look for one when researching screens? Or is it simply something you have to see in person?

Seems like a lot of marketing jargon with these things and it is quite confusing

Thanks again!
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-06-2018, 09:21 PM   #51
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

I may have missed this, but... is there any detriment to picture quality when viewing an ALR in the complete dark? Do you lose some colour?

If not, why wouldn't most people purchase ALR screens? is it the cost involved? Elite screens has an ALR screen 120" for under $1000. Is this a poor quality screen? If so, what makes a screen poor quality exactly?

EDIT: also, wouldn't an ALR/grey screen improve black levels? I am trying to understand what the downfall would be. I am assuming colour accuracy?
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer

Last edited by Erman_94; 02-06-2018 at 09:29 PM.
Old 02-06-2018, 09:26 PM   #52
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
WOW! I was not expecting that. THANK YOU SO MUCH for your efforts!

Would you be able to tell me what does one look for one when researching screens? Or is it simply something you have to see in person?

Seems like a lot of marketing jargon with these things and it is quite confusing

Thanks again!
I think at this point you should pretty much go by how they look with the projector, price, and installation details. I think the one on Amazon has a single possible way to get installed but I think when contacting any of the other companies they might offer different options to how the screen will be hanging. That is probably the most important thing now since they are all white material with close to the same gain and wide viewing angle, so the picture quality will be at least somewhat similar. But if you can, I would try to get samples to see which one you prefer and then from there make sure their installation options will work with your room/space where you want to have it. After that price of course and then aesthetics.
Setup:
[Show spoiler]Display: LG OLED65C7P TV 7.1.4 Sound: Yamaha RX-A3050 Receiver, Sony St Receiver (amp), Pioneer: SP-C22 C, SP-FS52 FL & FR, SP-BS22-LR SL SR & SBL SBR, Klipsch: RP-140SA FHL FHR & SHL SHR, R-10SW Sub Players: Oppo UDP-203 (with Dolby Vision), NVIDIA Shield TV, Remotes: Logitech Harmony Smart Control (Hub & Remote) with iPhone App & Echo Dot

Old 02-07-2018, 02:36 AM   #53
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
I may have missed this, but... is there any detriment to picture quality when viewing an ALR in the complete dark? Do you lose some colour?

If not, why wouldn't most people purchase ALR screens? is it the cost involved? Elite screens has an ALR screen 120" for under $1000. Is this a poor quality screen? If so, what makes a screen poor quality exactly?

EDIT: also, wouldn't an ALR/grey screen improve black levels? I am trying to understand what the downfall would be. I am assuming colour accuracy?
The gain looks good (1.2), but the viewing angle is narrower than the white screen option (90 vs 160 degrees) so the picture quality would degrade faster when watching it from an angle, although 90 is pretty good as long as you plan to set it up so that all viewers are within 45 degrees from the left and right sides from the center of the screen. Since it is a grey screen you also risk getting hot-spotting but if you plan to keep the projector 9 - 12 feet away from it then I think it should be fine (that is the recommended distance to use with this screen). The projector is not a short-throw (since this ALR rejects light from specific angles, short-throw models would not work with it) so it's good on that front as well.

It is actually not a bad option at all as long as the angle and installation configuration is good for you. It will reject around 65% of ambient light as long as it is on an angle and not hitting the screen directly the way the projector will be. So ceiling lights and small amounts of light coming from a side window should be fine. I would still recommend painting your walls/ceiling a dark muted color to further prevent reflections and maximize the contrast of the projector and screen (regardless of which one you choose, ALR or not).

Nice catch though . Overall it is a good option as long as you're conscious of its requirements and limitations. Also, again, make sure the installation method and size will work with your available wall/space. Apparently there is a bracket that you install on the wall, which will most likely require a stable structure to hang it from, like a stud inside the wall or concrete. Then you'd probably need to drill a few holes in it to secure the bracket, and then you'd hang the screen from the bracket.
Setup:

Old 02-08-2018, 08:08 PM   #54
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
I think at this point you should pretty much go by how they look with the projector, price, and installation details. I think the one on Amazon has a single possible way to get installed but I think when contacting any of the other companies they might offer different options to how the screen will be hanging. That is probably the most important thing now since they are all white material with close to the same gain and wide viewing angle, so the picture quality will be at least somewhat similar. But if you can, I would try to get samples to see which one you prefer and then from there make sure their installation options will work with your room/space where you want to have it. After that price of course and then aesthetics.
Thanks for the advice, samlop10! I have contacted the screen manufacturers you have recommended and am already speaking with them about my project.

I am also looking into other screens as well to see what will work best when everything is factored in and hoping to get some samples.
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-08-2018, 08:12 PM   #55
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
The gain looks good (1.2), but the viewing angle is narrower than the white screen option (90 vs 160 degrees) so the picture quality would degrade faster when watching it from an angle, although 90 is pretty good as long as you plan to set it up so that all viewers are within 45 degrees from the left and right sides from the center of the screen. Since it is a grey screen you also risk getting hot-spotting but if you plan to keep the projector 9 - 12 feet away from it then I think it should be fine (that is the recommended distance to use with this screen). The projector is not a short-throw (since this ALR rejects light from specific angles, short-throw models would not work with it) so it's good on that front as well.

It is actually not a bad option at all as long as the angle and installation configuration is good for you. It will reject around 65% of ambient light as long as it is on an angle and not hitting the screen directly the way the projector will be. So ceiling lights and small amounts of light coming from a side window should be fine. I would still recommend painting your walls/ceiling a dark muted color to further prevent reflections and maximize the contrast of the projector and screen (regardless of which one you choose, ALR or not).

Nice catch though . Overall it is a good option as long as you're conscious of its requirements and limitations. Also, again, make sure the installation method and size will work with your available wall/space. Apparently there is a bracket that you install on the wall, which will most likely require a stable structure to hang it from, like a stud inside the wall or concrete. Then you'd probably need to drill a few holes in it to secure the bracket, and then you'd hang the screen from the bracket.
Thanks for checking out the screen I found.

The viewing angle is not an issue as the seats are located directly in front of the screen with no seats on an angle.

The projector will also be kept far away from the screen to prevent hot spotting at I have an available throw distance of roughly 16-18 feet. I also do not plan on purchasing a short throw projector now or in the near future.

The only ambient light in my theatre would be from ceiling/recessed lighting. I would like to the option to view tv with them on, but at it's dimmest setting. And to watch movies in complete dark.

Mounting should not be an issue, as I have an entire wall to work with and some studs behind the drywall. The wall will be painted a matte black and the rest of the theatre is a muted grey (also matte). The ceiling will unfortunately remain white (WAF) but other than that it will be well controlled.

Based on those parameters, what do you think?
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 AM   #56
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
Thanks for checking out the screen I found.

The viewing angle is not an issue as the seats are located directly in front of the screen with no seats on an angle.

The projector will also be kept far away from the screen to prevent hot spotting at I have an available throw distance of roughly 16-18 feet. I also do not plan on purchasing a short throw projector now or in the near future.

The only ambient light in my theatre would be from ceiling/recessed lighting. I would like to the option to view tv with them on, but at it's dimmest setting. And to watch movies in complete dark.

Mounting should not be an issue, as I have an entire wall to work with and some studs behind the drywall. The wall will be painted a matte black and the rest of the theatre is a muted grey (also matte). The ceiling will unfortunately remain white (WAF) but other than that it will be well controlled.

Based on those parameters, what do you think?
The ceiling is, unfortunately, the area of a room where most of the reflections occur for projector screens. Maybe do something special for her on valentine's to convince her to paint it darker ?

If you can't paint it darker at all it will still look pretty good. If you do go with that ALR screen it will certainly help but even in a pitch black room the light from the projector on the screen will partially reflect on the ceiling and then back on the screen itself. That is why you never see any movie theaters with a screen in which the ceiling has a light color. It won't ruin it and it'll most likely still look good but you'll be sacrificing a bit of contrast and black level performance.

Were you able to find out how exactly the bracket is secured? I used to have a fixed screen as well and that one used a long bracket in which you could use two studs to secure it, so that even if the bracket was not dead-center, the bracket was still long enough and secure enough that you could hang the screen a bit off towards one side to place the screen itself dead-center in regards to the viewing area.

If you're sure the installation will work just fine then everything else looks good to me .

If you want it'd interesting and fun if you keep the thread updated as you begin and continue setting up your dedicated room. We could see your progress and give any suggestions or comments/opinions that might help you as you make progress with it. I've seen users start by posting pictures of the bare room and then, like in your case, their new projector and screen once they get them. And from there pictures of the actual installation while it is underway. Just a suggestion though .
Setup:

Old 02-10-2018, 10:19 PM   #57
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Quote:
The ceiling is, unfortunately, the area of a room where most of the reflections occur for projector screens. Maybe do something special for her on valentine's to convince her to paint it darker ?

If you can't paint it darker at all it will still look pretty good. If you do go with that ALR screen it will certainly help but even in a pitch black room the light from the projector on the screen will partially reflect on the ceiling and then back on the screen itself. That is why you never see any movie theaters with a screen in which the ceiling has a light color. It won't ruin it and it'll most likely still look good but you'll be sacrificing a bit of contrast and black level performance.

Were you able to find out how exactly the bracket is secured? I used to have a fixed screen as well and that one used a long bracket in which you could use two studs to secure it, so that even if the bracket was not dead-center, the bracket was still long enough and secure enough that you could hang the screen a bit off towards one side to place the screen itself dead-center in regards to the viewing area.

If you're sure the installation will work just fine then everything else looks good to me .

If you want it'd interesting and fun if you keep the thread updated as you begin and continue setting up your dedicated room. We could see your progress and give any suggestions or comments/opinions that might help you as you make progress with it. I've seen users start by posting pictures of the bare room and then, like in your case, their new projector and screen once they get them. And from there pictures of the actual installation while it is underway. Just a suggestion though .
haha I will see how that goes, but will definitely consider some solution with regards to the ceiling

The brackets used are sliding brackets. This, as they state, allows you to secure it to the studs in the wall off-centre but still have the capability to place the screen dead centre where you would like it. Is this what I am looking for?

If it is, then I am very close to getting this project underway and would love to document the progress as I go along. It is the least I could do for all of the help I have received!
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-11-2018, 05:27 AM   #58
Expert Member

Dec 2010
Austin, TX

Quote:
haha I will see how that goes, but will definitely consider some solution with regards to the ceiling

The brackets used are sliding brackets. This, as they state, allows you to secure it to the studs in the wall off-centre but still have the capability to place the screen dead centre where you would like it. Is this what I am looking for?

If it is, then I am very close to getting this project underway and would love to document the progress as I go along. It is the least I could do for all of the help I have received!
Yeah it's probably better with two brackets. It'd make it more versatile in terms of installation and placement.

Awesome! And yeah if you have any questions once you start it we'll try our best to help in that phase as well .
Setup:

Old 02-17-2018, 04:14 PM   #59
Special Member

Jan 2008
Canada

Hey guys, so I am trying to decide on screen size and having a hard time deciding. I am debating between a 120" screen and a 135" screen. My issue is that an odd pricing scheme has the 135" cheaper than the 120" for the same material/style, but I am just not sure if I can accommodate that size.
My issue is whether or not the screen will cover too much wall and be too close to the ceiling and/or too close to the floor to properly accommodate a centre channel. Or if it will make the sound field too wide for the L/R speakers from seating distance. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are the measurements/dimensions:

Seating Distance: 13 feet approx
Projector wall: 12 feet wide and 7 feet high (note this is literally wall to wall and does not take into account space needed on left, right and under screen to accommodate speakers)
120" screen: 59.1" by 104.9"
135" screen: 67.1" by 118.7"
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 02-18-2018, 05:18 AM   #60
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2010
Ontario, Canada

Quote:
Hey guys, so I am trying to decide on screen size and having a hard time deciding. I am debating between a 120" screen and a 135" screen. My issue is that an odd pricing scheme has the 135" cheaper than the 120" for the same material/style, but I am just not sure if I can accommodate that size.
My issue is whether or not the screen will cover too much wall and be too close to the ceiling and/or too close to the floor to properly accommodate a centre channel. Or if it will make the sound field too wide for the L/R speakers from seating distance. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Here are the measurements/dimensions:

Seating Distance: 13 feet approx
Projector wall: 12 feet wide and 7 feet high (note this is literally wall to wall and does not take into account space needed on left, right and under screen to accommodate speakers)
120" screen: 59.1" by 104.9"
135" screen: 67.1" by 118.7"
My math tells me you are leaving about 12" per side for speakers if you go with the 135". That isn't a whole lot of room. How wide are your speakers? You've got a little more space to play with for the center if your screen touches the ceiling... you don't have much if you drop it 6 inches.

Your space sounds very similar to mine
[Show spoiler]
and when considering my screen size I dropped down to 120" so I had some breathing room. Old theatre had 144" screen but it was AT and the speakers were in behind. I miss it, but once the room goes dark and the movie starts I forget about the size.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors