Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Trance (Blu-ray)
C$4.99
The Lion King (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
The Lion King (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
Brimstone (Blu-ray)
C$7.99
Once Upon a Time in America (Blu-ray)
C$10.99
The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
C$24.99
The Fate of the Furious (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
L.A. Guns: Live in Milan (Blu-ray)
C$19.84
Moana (Blu-ray)
C$17.96
The Blue Planet: Seas of Life (Blu-ray)
C$14.99
Fifty Shades Freed (Blu-ray)
C$19.96
Resident Evil: Damnation (Blu-ray)
C$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada

Old 07-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #1
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada Mongrel's StudioCanal Releases

I hate when stuff changes hands over and over. When Lionsgate in the US acquired the StudioCanal titles, so did their Canadian division: Maple Pictures. Alliance then took over Maple and its library not too long after. So all those Maple discs went into lovely bargain bins (and many still do) and Alliance didn't do too much with the StudioCanal library. They released French only discs for Belle de jour and Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie and released La Grande Illusion a little bit before the US disc. Last year Entertainment One acquired Alliance and its already massive library. E1 didn't touch the StudioCanal stuff (contract with Maple/Alliance may have been over). So now Mongrel Media, another Canadian company now stepping up its game from merely documentaries and imports to release newer/independent films, have the rights to release StudioCanal titles on home video. Last January the announcement was made that they had these films in their possession. In June, they released (on DVD only...) the Rambo trilogy and Terminator 2. They were likely top sellers for previous studios, and I suppose they thought it was a good starting point. However, these discs are bare bones. Previous releases have been pretty loaded with extras. The cover art isn't so bad, but who the heck is looking for classic catalog films on DVD these days..? Ugh, just more stuff to take up space and clutter shelves. I'm hoping when they start releasing Blu-ray discs with the StudioCanal logo, they won't be the same 'ol crap but with emptier discs. Its a vast library of great and foreign films. Do something with it!
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007
Old 07-17-2014, 04:16 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2009

Thanks for this info as I did not know that Mongrel took over these titles.

I noticed that they are releasing the Rambo movies as a trilogy and as individual releases on blu-ray in late July/ early August so it will be interesting to see what they include on these discs. Judging from the prices on Amazon I would say they will be pretty bare bones. The cover art is nice for the trilogy though (may pick it up depending on how the discs turn out).
My Top 5 Movies of All Time:
1. Forrest Gump
2. Back to the Future Part 1 & Back to the Future Part 2
3. Braveheart
4. Halloween (1978)
5. Ferris Bueller's Day Off
Old 07-17-2014, 11:31 AM   #3
Contributor

Aug 2011

ya I saw pre orders for blu rays of t2 the Rambo movies and total recall pop up on amazon from mongrel. so they will probly re release all the old stuff again.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:50 PM   #4
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

The few newer blu-ray releases I have bought were barebone and that was from the big studios. Barebones is getting to be the norm for catalog titles. Quite a few of the studiocanal older releases have dvd like pq anyway.

If E1 would release The Man in the White Suit which I think SC owns that would be sweet though.
Old 07-22-2014, 05:16 AM   #5
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Mongrel's upcoming StudioCanal catalogue releases appear to include some extras that are new to Blu-ray. Those are all noted in bold below. We'll have to wait until their release days for confirmation.

Mongrel also has upcoming StudioCanal releases hitting blu:
-Rambo Trilogy (E1/Lionsgate has the rights to the 4th film)
EXTRAS: See below.

-First Blood
EXTRAS: Drawing First Blood, First Blood : A Look Back, Audio commentary by Sylvester Stallone, Audio commentary by David Morrell, Alternate ending, Humorous ending, 2 trailers, Deleted Scenes, Dream in Saïgon, The real Nam: Voices from Within, Forging Heroes: America’s Green Berets, Guts and Glory, and How to Become Rambo

-Rambo: First Blood Part II
EXTRAS: We get to win this time, Featurette: Action in the Jungle, Audio Commentary by George Pan Cosmatos, Trailer, TV Spots, and How to Become Rambo

-Rambo III
EXTRAS: Afghanistan: Land in Crisis, Audio Commentary by Peter Mac Donald, Making Of, Full Circle, Trailers, 8 TV Spots, An American Hero's Journey: The Rambo Trilogy, Suiting Up: Rambo's Survival Hardware, Rambonomics, Selling A Hero, Alternate Opening + Deleted Scenes, Sly vs Rambo and How to Become Rambo

-T2 & Total Recall
EXTRAS: See below.

-Terminator 2
EXTRAS: Theatrical Version - 2:16:26 (English 5.1 DD & French 2.0, T2: On The Set (English only), No Feat But What We Make (English only), The Making of T2, Audio Commentary with James Cameron and William Wisher) *Missing 2 cuts of film, some extras*

-Total Recall
EXTRAS: New Interview with Director Paul Verhoeven, Total Recall: The Special Effects, Making Of, "Imagining Total Recall" - Featurette, Photo Gallery, Restoration Comparison (English only), Trailer (English only), Audio Commentary w/ Arnold Schwarzenegger and Paul Verhoeven, Leçon d'effets spéciaux avec Kaméléon (16min 26s), Autour de la littérature de SF et de Philip K. Dick avec Stéphane Bourgoin (9min 09s) *Missing a couple of minimal extras from previous Alliance/Lionsgate disc*

-Evil Dead II
EXTRAS: Interview with Bruce Campbell, Making of “Swallowed Souls”, Cabin Fever, Road to Wadesboro, Making of "The Gore the Merrier" and Trailer) *Missing extras from previous Alliance/Lionsgate disc*

-Air America
EXTRAS: Audio Commentary by Co-Writer/Co-Producer John Eskow, “Pre-Flight: The Storyboards of Air America” Featurette, “Flight Log” Featurette, “Return Flight: Revisiting Air America” Retrospective Featurette) *Same extras as previous Maple/Lionsgate disc*

-Lock Up & Universal Soldier
EXTRAS: None listed. *Missing extras from previous editions*
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Sale/Trade Thread (new titles regularly: Canadian exclusives, slipcovers, steelbooks): http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=116007
Old 07-22-2014, 05:13 PM   #6
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008

Yeah same titles as released before. Probably same transfer/encode too.
Old 08-31-2014, 04:14 AM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Those look to be the remastered RAMBO Studio Canal releases from Europe -- with better transfers and extras. NOT just a repress of the old Lionsgate Blu-Rays.
Old 08-31-2014, 07:13 AM   #8
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Evil Dead 2's back cover only lists as extras: Interview with Bruce Campbell and Trailer.
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Old 08-31-2014, 11:09 AM   #9
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMRI2006 View Post
Those look to be the remastered RAMBO Studio Canal releases from Europe -- with better transfers and extras. NOT just a repress of the old Lionsgate Blu-Rays.
only the trilogy is avaliable? i only want first blood.
Old 08-31-2014, 03:18 PM   #10
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroquoisPliskin View Post
On amazon.ca they have the individual releases for 10 and the trilogy for 20....assuming these are derived from the Studio Canal remasters which they very well may be
Old 08-31-2014, 06:11 PM   #11
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by IroquoisPliskin View Post
HMV has them individually for $10 and the trilogy for $20, just like amazon.ca
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Old 09-02-2014, 08:05 AM   #12
Expert Member

Jul 2014
Edmonton, Canada

I wonder if they will release "The Silent Partner" on Blu-Ray? One of the best Canadian films ever and also a StudioCanal property.
My top 25 films:

1) Jackie Brown 2) Nashville 3)Apocalypse Now 4) Pulp Fiction 5) All About Eve 6) Blue Velvet 7) Zodiac 8) The Getaway (1972) 9) Almost Famous 10) Tenebre 11) Sorcerer 12) The Wolf of Wall Street 13) Mildred Pierce 14) The Towering Inferno 15) Talk to Her 16) Dressed to Kill 17) Rabid Dogs 18) City of God 19) The Dead Girl 20) Adaptation 21) Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind 22) Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 23) Happiness 24) Spirited Away 25) Harold and Maude
Old 09-07-2014, 09:06 PM   #13
Expert Member

Mar 2013

does anybody have a pic of first blood's new release?
Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 AM   #14
Contributor

Oct 2008
Calgary, Alberta
Canada

Their Total Recall release has the same/new transfer as the last special edition disc thankfully. Confirmed that it duplicates all of the extras from that disc, plus two French only featurettes that aren't all that great. Still missing a few small extras from the Artisan tin/Mars release.
2849 DVDs,
2416 Blu-rays,
165 HD DVDs,
144 Laserdiscs
& counting...

Thanks given by:
mookoo (06-09-2015)
Old 02-01-2018, 05:25 PM   #15

Jun 2016
Toronto, Ontario

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhylliam View Post
Evil Dead 2's back cover only lists as extras: Interview with Bruce Campbell and Trailer.
True. Does anyone have this disc to confirm what special features are on it?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:59 PM   #16

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by nramaswaran View Post
True. Does anyone have this disc to confirm what special features are on it?
I have this version and that interview was the only extra. Very disappointing. It's an older interview too (maybe from around 2003-ish?).
Live every day like it's the best day of your life.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Canada