Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Call Me by Your Name (Blu-ray)
£7.49

Hostiles (Blu-ray)
£10.00
20 hrs ago
Murder on the Orient Express (Blu-ray)
£10.00
50 min ago
Blade Runner 2049 (Blu-ray)
£9.99

Resident Evil: The Final Chapter (Blu-ray)
£4.49

Baby Driver (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Dunkirk 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99
2 hrs ago
The Quiet Earth (Blu-ray)
£14.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
£19.99

The Rocketeer (Blu-ray)
£6.99

Luke Cage: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
£15.99

Happy Death Day (Blu-ray)
£7.49
50 min ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 AM   #21
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by p w View Post
The only sub 100 dollar complete series set I'm seeing for it in the usa is on DVD. Not sure what price you are seeing the USA bluray set for, but if its super cheap someplace, please post it
I meant TV series of Fabulous films generally. (see "these")
Miami Vice and Knight Rider are much much cheaper in USA.
And I'm sure if this comes to USA it will be at that range too.
Old 02-09-2018, 02:40 PM   #22

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by thinredline View Post
I meant TV series of Fabulous films generally. (see "these")
Miami Vice and Knight Rider are much much cheaper in USA.
And I'm sure if this comes to USA it will be at that range too.
The odds of this coming out in the USA in this form are slim. The reason it was released previously in the U.S. with different music was that the rights issues with the music made it prohibitive. If they paid the rights for the music again, it would be cost more than they could ever make back.
The rights issues are different from territory to territory (which is why Germany and (apparently) the UK can do do this without the same issues).

And while the U.S. version of Quantum Leap may be much cheaper than the U.K. counterpart - it was also released by MILL CREEK - who is notorious for bad encodes and extreme compression rates to squeeze more episodes onto the discs.
Blufans VIP
Thanks given by:
thinredline (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:34 PM   #23

Nov 2012
WA, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
Consider how upsetting most people would find it if Fabulous encoded the video at 1080/50i, or worse, 720p.
The sell sheet on their website state PAL. All PAL specific region say this even if it true or not, correct?
Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #24

Apr 2016

Id pay a lot more for uncut episodes on Knight Rider which is why i got the uk version. Although for the most complete version for music rights you still need the dvd versions.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 AM   #25

Jun 2014

Yes, I canít believe this series is getting a blu ray release! I thought it was too small and cult to get this sort of treatment.

Also, Jules and Joel looks abysmal on DVD (and I imagine when broadcast) due to the vfx shots, hopefully they have been updated.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:58 PM   #26
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddkryten View Post
Yes, I canít believe this series is getting a blu ray release! I thought it was too small and cult to get this sort of treatment.

Also, Jules and Joel looks abysmal on DVD (and I imagine when broadcast) due to the vfx shots, hopefully they have been updated.
Northern Exposure and Twin Peaks were very popular at the time. Channel Four was still in its good phase Northern Exposure was quite popular for a late night 'quirky' comedy. Twin Peaks was pulling them in on BBC Two even though it was up against 'Cheers'. People gave NE the same reverence as TP. TP has done slightly better in the memory stakes.
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Old 02-10-2018, 08:29 PM   #27

Jun 2014

Really? Iím surprised it was that popular.

I did watch it when it was originally broadcast (I probably started around the third or forth season). Most of my friends then didnít watch, which is a small sample I know, but still.

was horrible finding when the show would be on. In the preinternet era I had to phone channel four to ask when the airdates would be.

People rave about twin peaks, which I donít think is all that great to be honest. It occupies an important place in TV history, but it had a few good episode and a very steep decline in quality. While NE had itís own decline, it remained better for longer and produced more excellent episodes.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #28

Dec 2008
Scotland

You think this set might be region free ? I am a member of a large NX facebook page and there's a fair few people wanting to import it.
Old 02-10-2018, 08:43 PM   #29
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddkryten View Post
Really? Iím surprised it was that popular.

I did watch it when it was originally broadcast (I probably started around the third or forth season). Most of my friends then didnít watch, which is a small sample I know, but still.

was horrible finding when the show would be on. In the preinternet era I had to phone channel four to ask when the airdates would be.

People rave about twin peaks, which I donít think is all that great to be honest. It occupies an important place in TV history, but it had a few good episode and a very steep decline in quality. While NE had itís own decline, it remained better for longer and produced more excellent episodes.
TP's decline is well documented. The quality dipped when it was cancelled and then re-booted and Lynch had to rush to the 'conclusion' that the Network wanted. I think NE suffered from the US Sitcom disease of too many too long
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:21 PM   #30
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2013
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Parallel Universe View Post
I think NE suffered from the US Sitcom disease of too many too long
I never really saw Northern Exposure as sitcom, more of a comedy drama. IMO the first three seasons are some of best TV ever. Most of season four is pretty good too, but the Mike Munroe episodes drag it down a bit. David Chase was responsible for the decline in quality in the latter years.
Top Ten Most Wanted Blu-rays: Amphibian Man (1962) - Big Wednesday (1978) - Danger: Diabolik (1968) - The Devils (1971) - The Final Programme (1973) - Hard Eight (1996) - Lawn Dogs (1997) - Martin (1977) - O Lucky Man! (1973) - Static (1986)
Old 02-11-2018, 02:24 AM   #31
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
I never really saw Northern Exposure as sitcom, more of a comedy drama. IMO the first three seasons are some of best TV ever. Most of season four is pretty good too, but the Mike Munroe episodes drag it down a bit. David Chase was responsible for the decline in quality in the latter years.
I don't know how to categorise NE so I went for Sitcom but in essence Comedy Series covers it and like too many long running US comedies it runs out of steam a long time before it's cancelled or else they just keep rolling out the same sub quality episodes until it dies a death , the Simpsons have been heading that way for a long time for instance.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:27 AM   #32
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by grant666uk View Post
You think this set might be region free ? I am a member of a large NX facebook page and there's a fair few people wanting to import it.
I would be very surprised if this was region free. Fabulous has locked everything to date.

500 years ago on the planet Zeist
Region A/B positive
MOD BD-R? Heck no!
Thanks given by:
grant666uk (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:58 AM   #33

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiderwalk View Post
It wasn't anywhere near a sitcom. The Canadian show Corner Gas (which I thought was cheesy) was more like a sitcom.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:26 PM   #34
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Canada

Sit Com..... Situation Comedy... City slicker Doctor finds himself in the middle of mamba country (miles & miles of b**** all) is not pleased and hilarity ensues...

*shrug*

Old 02-11-2018, 02:33 PM   #35

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
TP's decline is well documented. The quality dipped when it was cancelled and then re-booted and Lynch had to rush to the 'conclusion' that the Network wanted. I think NE suffered from the US Sitcom disease of too many too long
What NE suffered was not too many episodes - but its lead actor quitting.
The decline started when he had to be written out and the arc of writing him out changed the dynamics of everything.
Blufans VIP
Old 02-11-2018, 06:55 PM   #36
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C. 95 View Post
What NE suffered was not too many episodes - but its lead actor quitting.
The decline started when he had to be written out and the arc of writing him out changed the dynamics of everything.
Too many episodes. It should have ended at the point of him quitting.
Old 02-11-2018, 07:45 PM   #37
Blu-ray Champion

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Which was only 8 episodes from the end anyway...
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (02-11-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:54 AM   #38

Aug 2014
Cleveland, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by CouncilSpectre View Post
Which was only 8 episodes from the end anyway...
They changed the entire arc WHILE he was there with the knowledge he was leaving. The new arc existed BECAUSE he was leaving.
Blufans VIP
Old 02-12-2018, 04:34 PM   #39
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wezzo View Post
I'm guessing there's no hope of English subtitles?

I have the R1 DVDs (in the complete series satchel, which is rather neat) as they had subtitles and most of the R2s didn't. I'd happily upgrade to BD if subs were included, but I'm guessing they won't be, as Fabulous usually find the cost prohibitive.
The only other way to get the series with all the Original Music is the German release, but that doesn't have English subtitles either.

Last edited by albabe; 02-12-2018 at 04:43 PM.
Thanks given by:
Wezzo (02-13-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:37 PM   #40
Expert Member

Feb 2012
San Francisco, Ca

Quote:
I've been waiting for that to happen since the DVDs came out over 15 years ago.

I'll wait for this to drop in price and I still haven't picked up The Water Margin yet.

Will they correct the musical substitutions in WKRP in Cincinnati and release that on Blu ?

WKRP was shot on Video tape, wasn't it? So won't that likely take it off the table as a BR candidate.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland