Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99
19 hrs ago
Doctor Who: The Complete Tenth Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
3 hrs ago
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99
9 hrs ago
The Sand Pebbles (Blu-ray)
$5.99

I, Tonya (Blu-ray)
$12.99

The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Back to the Future: 30th Anniversary Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$19.99
9 hrs ago
Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Memories of Underdevelopment (Blu-ray)
$21.98

Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Tenth Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99
3 hrs ago
Darkest Hour (Blu-ray)
$12.99
16 hrs ago
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-05-2018, 01:39 PM   #141
Expert Member

Jul 2011
NY

No extras, it seems. Not that those are the most important thng.
Now for the long, interminable wait of having it shipped from Australia.
Old 02-05-2018, 02:12 PM   #142
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Curious what the disc specs are ... BD-50 I hope or at least the transfer bests the U.S. BD-R. Some have said the SONY BD-R has an issue where it was created poorly because of the disc space gets clipped or something like that.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

Panasonic 65" TC-P65ZT60 Denon X7200WA, Rotel-1582 mkll
MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 02-05-2018, 02:56 PM   #143
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Tomorrow View Post
Agreed. The film got caught up in a backlash against Sophia Coppola following Lost in Translation and many critics deemed it her first failure. But it's critical stock has risen since, with many re-evaluating the film. I think it's her best work. What strikes me is how many people didn't get just how funny it is in places. Despite it's anachronisms, like using pop songs and some 21st Century props, etc. the film is historically truthful in chronicling the absurdities of the 18th century French court more than any other films I've seen about Antoinette.
Agreed. MA is a masterpiece - I've been a fan ever since I first saw this on DVD back in the 200X's. I feel that it's both SC's & Dunst's best film.
Old 02-05-2018, 05:02 PM   #144

Sep 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
Is this Region Free?

Wondering this too. This is one of my wifeís favorite movies and Iím not too eager to pick up the BDR version if thereís a better option out there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 06:51 PM   #145
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaD View Post
My copy just arrived ! im not an expert of PQ but will let you know my thoughts ! anywho it's less the half the cost of the US version and it is a pressed disc

Any thoughts on the image quality and audio?

Really wish someone could compare it to the US BD-R image quality.
Stop the Replacing of original Studio Opening / Closing logos! These are becoming endangered and should be kept intact. They are part of film history.

MartinLogan: ESL, Grotto i, Motif, FX2, Motion 15, EM-R Oppo UPD 205, Oppo BDP 103 Region Free, Pioneer LD CLD-D505
Old 02-09-2018, 06:55 PM   #146
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2014
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by PowellPressburger View Post
Any thoughts on the image quality and audio?

Really wish someone could compare it to the US BD-R image quality.
Since there's likely only one HD master, it should be the same one used for the French and US discs.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #147
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bates_Motel View Post
Since there's likely only one HD master, it should be the same one used for the French and US discs.
I heard there were issues with how the film was on US BD-R because someone posted at one time that they felt like it was authored incorrectly on the BD-R as if the disc ran out of space ... I don't know the technical way of explaining it.

Old 02-11-2018, 04:40 AM   #148
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAX View Post
Is this Region Free? Is Shock a reputable company in Australia?
SHOCK are incredibly reputable. They're an independent distributor over here who seem to be one of the only labels actually delivering on decent catalog titles these days -- think of them as a Kino, Shout Factory or Mill Creek.

Only problem with them is that some of their titles seem to go as soon as they've come, so if anyone's after this, I suggest picking it up sooner rather than later.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:45 AM   #149
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Took a look at my Aussie copy today -- my brief thoughts.

It suffers some of the issues that the US disc seems to be plagued with -- it's a little soft and washed out and at times seems not just grainy, but almost 'dirty'. Colours seemed nice enough to me though, and overall, I wouldn't say it's a terrible transfer, and looks a LOT better than the US disc sounds... probably something that's a result of it being a pressed BD 50 instead of a BD-R 25... It's just nothing spectacular. I didn't really expect much more -- and to be honest, the feel I'm getting almost kind of compliments the movie, given its time period. I'm happy with it.

Also, no bonus features, just a static menu, the movie and a chapter selection.

Last edited by davlee1991; 02-11-2018 at 09:35 AM.
Thanks given by:
LanaD (02-11-2018), PowellPressburger (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 04:52 AM   #150
Blu-ray Champion

Aug 2007
Mpls, MN

Wish i could recall what MA looked like theatrically. I wouldnt say it was a pristine looking film from what I recall. Some scenes i believe looked better than others and for sure had grain to it.

Id like Powerhouse Indicator to pick up the title in the UK if they could get a new transfer. Just seems odd that Columbia / Sony wouldnt have a better HD transfer for the film. It isnt that old.

Old 02-11-2018, 12:42 PM   #151
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2013

Where does one order discs from Australia from in the US?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:14 PM   #152
Special Member

May 2016
Australia

I think most people use https://www.jbhifi.com.au/

That's where I get them from, but then I live here and just have to go into a store.
My collection
LG OLED55C6 / Yamaha RX-A760 / Oppo UDP-203 (Region Free)
Thanks given by:
javi92 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:47 PM   #153

Apr 2016
Hyrule Castle, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by davlee1991 View Post
SHOCK are incredibly reputable. They're an independent distributor over here who seem to be one of the only labels actually delivering on decent catalog titles these days -- think of them as a Kino, Shout Factory or Mill Creek.

Only problem with them is that some of their titles seem to go as soon as they've come, so if anyone's after this, I suggest picking it up sooner rather than later.
Did they release House Sitter on Blu Ray here ? i was shocked how amazing it was for a film i use to always watch on VHS as a kid ! it looked STUNNING !
Thanks given by:
davlee1991 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:48 PM   #154

Apr 2016
Hyrule Castle, Australia

Quote:
Took a look at my Aussie copy today -- my brief thoughts.

It suffers some of the issues that the US disc seems to be plagued with -- it's a little soft and washed out and at times seems not just grainy, but almost 'dirty'. Colours seemed nice enough to me though, and overall, I wouldn't say it's a terrible transfer, and looks a LOT better than the US disc sounds... probably something that's a result of it being a pressed BD 50 instead of a BD-R 25... It's just nothing spectacular. I didn't really expect much more -- and to be honest, the feel I'm getting almost kind of compliments the movie, given its time period. I'm happy with it.

Also, no bonus features, just a static menu, the movie and a chapter selection.
Nice to hear ! didn't get to watch mine this past weekend, looking forward to it ! and we are getting Death Becomes Her on Blu Ray too soon ! yay ! all these films i've had for ages sitting in my wish list from Amazon US getting local releases !
Thanks given by:
davlee1991 (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 11:43 PM   #155
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2011
Australia

Quote:
Did they release House Sitter on Blu Ray here ? i was shocked how amazing it was for a film i use to always watch on VHS as a kid ! it looked STUNNING !
Yes, they certainly did! Alongside Fletch, Fletch Lives, Nutty Professor, The Jerk, Bowfinger, The Fan, 8mm etc. etc. all in the last six months or so. Theyíre amazing. No oneís quite outputting catalog releases like them right now in Aus.

Quote:
Nice to hear ! didn't get to watch mine this past weekend, looking forward to it ! and we are getting Death Becomes Her on Blu Ray too soon ! yay ! all these films i've had for ages sitting in my wish list from Amazon US getting local releases !
Yes!! I heard that too. Some great stuff coming soon, as well as Hanover Street, Devil In A Blue Dress, Blood Simple, Bird on a Wire... all of which Iíve been waiting on FOREVER
Old 02-12-2018, 12:06 AM   #156

Apr 2016
Hyrule Castle, Australia

Quote:
Yes, they certainly did! Alongside Fletch, Fletch Lives, Nutty Professor, The Jerk, Bowfinger, The Fan, 8mm etc. etc. all in the last six months or so. Theyíre amazing. No oneís quite outputting catalog releases like them right now in Aus.

Yes!! I heard that too. Some great stuff coming soon, as well as Hanover Street, Devil In A Blue Dress, Blood Simple, Bird on a Wire... all of which Iíve been waiting on FOREVER
Oooo Bird On A Wire !!!
Old 02-12-2018, 01:38 PM   #157

Mar 2010

If the PQ is not much better than the US edition, then I think I’ll hold off and hope Criterion will release it (given that they released the Virgin Suicides).
Thanks given by:
TheBoss062 (02-16-2018)
Old 02-20-2018, 09:28 PM   #158
Expert Member

Jul 2011
NY

My copy of the Aussie release arrived. It seems to be Region Free, because it plays fine in my Region A player.
As for the transfer--it is the exact same master used for the US BD-R and Netflix, and therefore inherits the same problems. Very soft. Not grainy so much as noisy. No extras.

Last edited by Cvalda; 02-20-2018 at 09:33 PM.
Thanks given by:
PowellPressburger (02-20-2018), wmermine1 (02-20-2018)
Old 03-28-2018, 04:45 PM   #159
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2012
New York City

Iím watching this on Netflix right now and itís a travesty that it hasnít been given a proper blu-ray release. Criterion pls
Old 03-28-2018, 04:50 PM   #160
Blu-ray Knight

Nov 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluProofie View Post
Iím watching this on Netflix right now and itís a travesty that it hasnít been given a proper blu-ray release. Criterion pls
Sony relagated it to their Choice Collection, gave it extras, and DTS-HD MA 5.1 audio.

Oh you mean, proper as in a pressed disc?

Australia but then you lose the extras.

This isn't a major Sony release that is bringing crowds, heck it was supposed to be on Blu-ray years ago. Sony isn't going to license this to Criterion and Criterion just can't go taking titles they want.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America