Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Mr. Robot: Season 3.0 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Fantastic Voyage (Blu-ray)
$5.99

A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
16 hrs ago
Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99
14 hrs ago
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99
10 hrs ago
Avatar: The Last Airbender - The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99
19 hrs ago
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Blue Velvet (Blu-ray)
$9.99
14 hrs ago
Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Pitch Perfect 3 (Blu-ray)
$14.99
14 hrs ago
Death Wish (Blu-ray)
$19.96

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 AM   #49861
Blu-ray Prince

Dec 2012
Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Fixing the black crush issues would be a huge improvement.
From what I gather after watching the A Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-rays and checking out the caps, the DVDs were way too bright, and the Blu-rays look pretty good.

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a=1&x=673&...0&i=4&go=1

http://caps-a-holic.com/c.php?go=1&a=0&d...25&i=9&l=0

The world didn't crumble to the ground when I couldn't see the detail of the dude's jacket in the second link.
Thanks given by:
Mike Flynn (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:55 AM   #49862
Blu-ray Samurai

Jan 2010

I don't think there's a question that Scream would want to licence the NOES series; it's more a question of Warner's willingness to play ball, not to mention the fees involved. Let's see what happens.

Of course, it might be that Warner are only allowing them to release previously unreleased (on Blu) titles. Their stance with Criterion suggests they're okay with double dips, but will Scream get the same privilege? Might be worth watching to see if any Warner horror Blus go OOP, since they have tended to do that when a Criterion release appears to be on the horizon.
Old 02-09-2018, 12:03 PM   #49863
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Great Owl View Post
From what I gather after watching the A Nightmare on Elm Street Blu-rays and checking out the caps, the DVDs were way too bright, and the Blu-rays look pretty good.

The world didn't crumble to the ground when I couldn't see the detail of the dude's jacket in the second link.
If detail is unimportant to an HD presentation...

You picked some of the finest instances of black crush on these discs. The DVDs are way too bright and the Blus are way too dark. Alice's legs simply disappear in the second cap you posted. The crush is especially egregious in the third one you posted and let's not even mention Yvonne's hair in The Dream Child.

It's all moot, anyway, because I highly doubt Scream will ever be releasing any NOES and Warner isn't going to rerelease them with better picture & extras.
If God exists, why isn't Mo'Nique one of the new Ghostbusters?
Thanks given by:
TheOneWithThePrize (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:06 PM   #49864
Expert Member

Oct 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocknblues81 View Post
I'd love that.
That would be brilliant! Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead is always a fun movie to watch.

Last edited by JoelGoodsen; 02-09-2018 at 12:12 PM.
Thanks given by:
aspberger (02-09-2018), cropduster (02-09-2018), RadicalThrasher (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:47 PM   #49865
Power Member

Feb 2013

Quote:

My biggest issues are with Nightmare 2 and 4. I prefer the blue look that 2 has always had, which the blu-ray does not retain at all. And 4 is way too dark in a lot of places. Having seen a screening of an actual release print of 4, I can 100% say that the Blu-ray is not accurate to how the movie was meant to look.
Thanks given by:
splintersan (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:13 PM   #49866
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnDoor View Post
I don't think there's a question that Scream would want to licence the NOES series; it's more a question of Warner's willingness to play ball, not to mention the fees involved. Let's see what happens.

Of course, it might be that Warner are only allowing them to release previously unreleased (on Blu) titles. Their stance with Criterion suggests they're okay with double dips, but will Scream get the same privilege? Might be worth watching to see if any Warner horror Blus go OOP, since they have tended to do that when a Criterion release appears to be on the horizon.
Dr. Giggles has been out of print for a few years now and seems like the kind of film that wouldn't require substantial licensing costs and could be re-released with more special features as part of the Scream Factory lineup.
WANTED TO BUY: Mummy Complete Legacy Collection Slip Box - $9 Shipped

The BD-R Releases Master List Thread
Recommend a Modern, Independent Horror Film Thread
My 2018 Purchases Thread
Thanks given by:
Brutalizer79 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 02:48 PM   #49867
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2008
Beautiful Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by chaosmonkey View Post
I may be the only one hoping that The Granny (1995) comes out as a part of this deal. It's delightful cheese.
is that the one with Stella Stevens? Hilarious flick and very entertaining!
Thanks given by:
chaosmonkey (02-10-2018), dissention (02-09-2018), meremortal (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:08 PM   #49868
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2010
New Jersey

If the Elm Street films are off the table, I would hope Scream could make a play for Freddy's Nightmares.. I've been hoping for years to see that get a domestic release.
Thanks given by:
dissention (02-09-2018), LeeFanatic007 (02-09-2018), starsteam (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:22 PM   #49869
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frightener22 View Post
If the Elm Street films are off the table, I would hope Scream could make a play for Freddy's Nightmares.. I've been hoping for years to see that get a domestic release.
A mega boxset including the movies and the series would be nice.
Thanks given by:
Frightener22 (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:48 PM   #49870
Special Member

Feb 2013
Southeastern Ohio

Quote:
I'm hard-pressed to imagine how a future box set of A Nightmare on Elm Street could possibly be better than the existing Blu-ray set, aside from packaging. I'm thinking that any improvement in picture quality would be negligible at best.

I like the uncomplicated Amaray case and the space-saving setup of the existing set anyway, despite the underwhelming cover art.
The biggest thing missing on the current Blu-ray boxset is the 3D version of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, the old DVD box set had both the 2D and 3D, the Blu-ray only has 2D.
Sir Christopher Lee: May 27th, 1922 - June 7th, 2015

Always Remembered, Never Forgotten!
Thanks given by:
fnvmaster (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 04:52 PM   #49871

Feb 2017
Nashville

Between the current Blu-ray set and the Never Sleep Again documentary, I just don't see what else they could do with an Elm Street box aside from providing director's cut of the films, which isn't going to happen. I know there's a few random extras that could possibly be obtained, but aside from packaging, I don't think they could improve much on it. Would I buy a nice-looking set that had new transfers of the films? I'm sure I would, but DCs would be the big draw, and I think DC elements for most of the films are gone, aside from maybe Dream Child.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:21 PM   #49872
Blu-ray Knight

Aug 2012
Lincoln, NE

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeeFanatic007 View Post
The biggest thing missing on the current Blu-ray boxset is the 3D version of Freddy's Dead: The Final Nightmare, the old DVD box set had both the 2D and 3D, the Blu-ray only has 2D.
I'd argue the biggest thing missing is the cut footage from Dream Child and other possible entries that is known to exist (in at least questionable quality). I will agree that the inclusion of polarized 3D for Freddy's Dead would be fantastic, but I don't know that it's that big of a deal. I'd rather have...

-New 4k negative scan of the original
-New 2k negative scans of the sequels
-Uncut versions of all films
-Individual films per disc/case (with the usual original poster art on each)
-Original audio + newer mixes as applicable.
-All existing supplements ported over in ways similar to the Halloween collection (On disc, bonus disc etc.).
-Outer box packaging
-Companion booklet

All before the effort to include 3d. I love 3d, don't get me wrong, but it's used so minimally in that film that while I definitely feel it should be included I wouldn't want it at the expense of any of the other items I mentioned.

Added to this is the fact that Horror's Hallowed Grounds has filmed pieces for the first 3 films in the series that could be included, among some of the other content already mentioned by others as well.
WANTED TO BUY: Mummy Complete Legacy Collection Slip Box - $9 Shipped

The BD-R Releases Master List Thread
Recommend a Modern, Independent Horror Film Thread
My 2018 Purchases Thread
Thanks given by:
alexcrowder (02-09-2018), BrianJoynt (02-09-2018), Brutalizer79 (02-09-2018), drb124 (02-10-2018), jedidarrick (02-09-2018), LeeFanatic007 (02-09-2018), meremortal (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:32 PM   #49873

Sep 2017

Quote:

I remember burning every episode of Freddies Nightmares on to DVD-R off of Chiller back in 2006/7. I just pulled them out of storage the other day actually. Id still like an official release.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-09-2018, 05:38 PM   #49874

Aug 2015
California

if they did anything with the NOES franchise... I would hope they correct the audio syncing issues on the first one.

Last edited by zigzag88; 02-09-2018 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:53 PM   #49875

Aug 2016

Would like to see Scream for Help and The Devils. Though the latter is probably more likely to come from Criterion.
Old 02-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #49876
Special Member

Jul 2016
Default Scream Factory Blu-ray Discussion Thread

Scream For Help is so thoroughly amazing. I think Id faint if SF put that out.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:21 PM   #49877
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boggle View Post
Scream For Help is so thoroughly amazing. I think Id faint if SF put that out.
YES. It's my favorite Michael Winner cheese and Corey Parker was in three of my favorite 80s flicks (Scream For Help, Big Man On Campus & How I Got Into College). I bought the digital copy on Vudu years ago and it's utter crap, so anything is an upgrade over that.
If God exists, why isn't Mo'Nique one of the new Ghostbusters?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:38 PM   #49878

Aug 2009

Quote:
If this sees the light of day at all, it'll be on Warner's archives MOD dvds.
There's no point in a BD release, they were shot on Standard Definition ntsc video tape. In a rather odd way of doing things, they were copied onto film to be archived. The UK Dvd release of the first two episodes is taken from one of these film archives, and exhibits notable film damage on top of the low qaulity video source. Not nice.

I'm quite a big Elm Street fan. I have multiple releases of the films, I keep my old UK vhs for a number of reasons, other than I have a nearly 40yr old TV set that I still like to use regualrly, and VHS still looks quite decent on it, i like the original uk cover art, and that there are a number of differences with the films.1 & 5 are uncut, and 2 & 3 have different music in places. I have the original region 1 dvd set, and apart from the cuts, the first film has horribly soft picture quality. It's espcially bad on the HDTV. I frankly find watching the uncut VHS on the old CRT set better.
But the BD releases just weren;t worth it for me. Too many problems and omissions. Id' be amazed if it ever improved, if New Line were still independent, we'd have probably have had a much better job done by now, but Warner just don't care.
Freddy's Nightmares is the one place where i'm still missing episodes. It' was shown on Sky here back when hardly anyone had satellite TV. Other than the few episodes released on VHS (one of which i recall being censored), and a handful of recordings I've obtained from elsewhere, I'm still missing a few. Season 2 was shown by Sky with two epsidoes edited into one, with bits (including Freddy sequences) missing.

Last edited by Eidolon; 02-09-2018 at 10:45 PM. Reason: .
Old 02-09-2018, 10:50 PM   #49879
Blu-ray Champion

Sep 2014

Got in some Scream Factory releases from the recent Amazon price drops, two came with slips & one didn't.

Dawn of the Dead (2004)- slip
The Serpent and the Rainbow- slip
Manhunter- no slip
Thanks given by:
Brutalizer79 (02-09-2018), Fred Sliman (02-12-2018), NightKing (02-09-2018), Ragnar_SK (02-09-2018), Respectjuice (02-10-2018), TripleHBK (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:27 PM   #49880
Special Member

Sep 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TripleHBK View Post
I'd argue the biggest thing missing is the cut footage from Dream Child and other possible entries that is known to exist (in at least questionable quality). I will agree that the inclusion of polarized 3D for Freddy's Dead would be fantastic, but I don't know that it's that big of a deal. I'd rather have...

-New 4k negative scan of the original
-New 2k negative scans of the sequels
-Uncut versions of all films
-Individual films per disc/case (with the usual original poster art on each)
-Original audio + newer mixes as applicable.
-All existing supplements ported over in ways similar to the Halloween collection (On disc, bonus disc etc.).
-Outer box packaging
-Companion booklet

All before the effort to include 3d. I love 3d, don't get me wrong, but it's used so minimally in that film that while I definitely feel it should be included I wouldn't want it at the expense of any of the other items I mentioned.

Added to this is the fact that Horror's Hallowed Grounds has filmed pieces for the first 3 films in the series that could be included, among some of the other content already mentioned by others as well.
Agreed with all, especially the cut footage for DREAM CHILD being restored.
And as far as the 3-D goes, it was never polarized in theaters. They used cheap anaglyph for that sequence even in theaters so it wouldn't be hard to include it that way. If shown that way theatrically, I have no problem with it staying that way for home video.
Thanks given by:
TripleHBK (02-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Tags
horror, scream factory, shout factory