Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Community: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.08

Planet of the Apes Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$28.72
2 hrs ago
Odds Against Tomorrow (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Rick and Morty: Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Purge: Election Year (Blu-ray)
$5.99
11 hrs ago
Isle of Dogs (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Flash: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Shape of Water (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Three Billboards Outside Ebbing, Missouri (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Jurassic Park (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Universal Classic Monsters: Complete 30-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$149.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion

Old 02-09-2018, 07:12 PM   #1

Jun 2009
Near Seattle, WA
Default Atmos questions

hey guys, doing a lot of research but not getting definitive answers. I have a 7.2 receiver that does atmos in a .2 config. Question is, is .2 really worth it for the effect, what speakers are ideal for around $300 total, and where to mount, front, middle, or over listening position. Dolby site shows a middle back position. click on my gallery to see what components im matching to. If not atmos, is there a better bang for the buck improvement i can spend $500 on as i'm setting an additional $200 aside for professional installation of the ceiling speakers.

thanks guys!
Video/Samsung SUHD UN65JS8500 3D 4K, BenQ W1070 Projector,Elite Screens 125"
Receiver/ Yamaha Aventage A-1050
Blu-ray player/ Oppo UDP-203 4k/Panasonic DMP-BDT500
Front Main L/R /KEF Q900's
Center Channel /KEF Q600C
Rear Channel /KEF Q300's/ KEF Ci200QR's .2 Atmos

Subwoofer / Power Sound Audio XS30se
Power Conditioner/Monster Reference HTS 3500 MKii
Old 02-09-2018, 07:40 PM   #2

May 2009

It's worth it. I would mount them above you.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:30 PM   #3

Oct 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speed3driver View Post
hey guys, doing a lot of research but not getting definitive answers. I have a 7.2 receiver that does atmos in a .2 config. Question is, is .2 really worth it for the effect, what speakers are ideal for around $300 total, and where to mount, front, middle, or over listening position. Dolby site shows a middle back position. click on my gallery to see what components im matching to. If not atmos, is there a better bang for the buck improvement i can spend $500 on as i'm setting an additional $200 aside for professional installation of the ceiling speakers.

thanks guys!
I would say it's worth it, I used to have a pair of top firing speakers (not as good as ceiling speakers) and I watched Gravity, all I can say is wow! totally worth it.

If you can, do ceiling speakers.
Upstairs Loft: XBR65x930c|BDP-S1
Game Room: OLED65C7P | Marantz NR1607| PlayStation 3 Launch | PlayStation 3 Slim | PlayStation 4 Pro | PlayStation 4 20th Anniversary | Xbox 360 Elite | Xbox One X Scorpio Edition |Gamecube |Xbox|Nintendo 64|PlayStation|PlayStation 2|Marantz PD4220V |
Cinema: Sony VPL-HW30 ES | Marantz AV8802A | MM7050 | MM8077 | UD5007 | Panamax M5300-PM |
Old 02-10-2018, 01:49 AM   #4
Power Member

Nov 2009

I have had the upfiring atmos speakers that sit on top of the front and rear speakers than went to ceiling mounted svs speakers and now to four in ceiling speakers that are right above you like Dolby shows to do. The upfiring (pioneer) made a little difference, the svs mounted up high by the ceiling sounded pretty good but the in ceiling made a big difference and sounds great.
65 E6 Gregg L. LionAV Calibrated & Oppo 203
Old 02-13-2018, 05:11 AM   #5

Dec 2011

Okay, gang, I have a question I hope one of you can answer for me: I just got the Onkyo tx-NR575. It's an Atmos receiver, but I'm only running a 5.1 set up. Here's the question: how do i know when the receiver is actually playing the sound in Dolby Atmos? There's nothing on the receiver's screen that indicates Atmos is engaged, so how do I know when it's on? Thanks!
Old 02-13-2018, 10:51 AM   #6

Aug 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bladerunner5375 View Post
Okay, gang, I have a question I hope one of you can answer for me: I just got the Onkyo tx-NR575. It's an Atmos receiver, but I'm only running a 5.1 set up. Here's the question: how do i know when the receiver is actually playing the sound in Dolby Atmos? There's nothing on the receiver's screen that indicates Atmos is engaged, so how do I know when it's on? Thanks!
It will never be on as long as you don't have have atmos speakers connected and activated in the speaker-settings.
Old 02-13-2018, 12:25 PM   #7
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2009
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaustrofobia View Post
It will never be on as long as you don't have have atmos speakers connected and activated in the speaker-settings.
The Dolby Atmos signal will still be active, and the receiver will display Dolby Atmos on the LED panel, as long as there is an Dolby Atmos soundtrack being played, and the height speaker configuration is enabled, even though the height speakers are not connected. The listener just won't hear the audio that's being outputted from the height channels, until the speakers are connected.

Last edited by slimdude; 02-13-2018 at 11:01 PM.
Old 02-18-2018, 05:49 PM   #8

Jun 2009
Near Seattle, WA

Endup ordering the KEF Ci200QR in ceiling speakers, Install is set up for March 7th
Video/Samsung SUHD UN65JS8500 3D 4K, BenQ W1070 Projector,Elite Screens 125"
Receiver/ Yamaha Aventage A-1050
Blu-ray player/ Oppo UDP-203 4k/Panasonic DMP-BDT500
Front Main L/R /KEF Q900's
Center Channel /KEF Q600C
Rear Channel /KEF Q300's/ KEF Ci200QR's .2 Atmos

Subwoofer / Power Sound Audio XS30se
Power Conditioner/Monster Reference HTS 3500 MKii
Thanks given by:
SuperFist (04-17-2018)
Old 03-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #9
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Acworth, GA
Send a message via AIM to Croweyes1121

I'm currently set up for 5.2, and my room is not suitable for more speakers, whether rear or ceiling. It just isn't feasible right now. This being the case, is there any benefit in my situation in getting an Atmos-capable receiver? Will there be any audio improvement using my current setup (I've assumed not, so I've not bothered upgrading)?

EDIT: And when I say I have 5.2, I mean I have a 5.1 system, but with two subs. I have no height speakers.
"There are three types of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't".
http://smallvillesoundtrack.com

Last edited by Croweyes1121; 03-06-2018 at 11:45 AM.
Old 03-06-2018, 03:57 PM   #10
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Acworth, GA

bump ^^
"There are three types of people in this world: those who can count and those who can't".
Old 03-06-2018, 05:16 PM   #11
Power Member

Jun 2017

I wouldnít change my receiver to an Atmos enabled one if you didnít need a new receiver and werenít planning on adding more speakers.
Sapphire 106" screen,BenQ W1070 3D projector.
Monitor Audio Bronze 5.1 Samsung PS64E8000
Denon X3300W,PS3 & Sky 1TB.
Old 03-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #12
Blu-ray Archduke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croweyes1121 View Post
I'm currently set up for 5.2, and my room is not suitable for more speakers, whether rear or ceiling. It just isn't feasible right now. This being the case, is there any benefit in my situation in getting an Atmos-capable receiver? Will there be any audio improvement using my current setup (I've assumed not, so I've not bothered upgrading)?
It depends on your current receiver, but you may want the benefits of a new receivers pass-through features if yours doesn't feature them.

And whilst they might not offer the full experience of ceiling speakers, you can get up-firing front speakers to give you the Atmos effect.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
"Sure. Fine. Whatever." DS
Old 03-06-2018, 08:54 PM   #13
Blu-ray Guru

May 2007
Acworth, GA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bullitt View Post
I wouldnít change my receiver to an Atmos enabled one if you didnít need a new receiver and werenít planning on adding more speakers.
This is kind of what I assumed. My speakers are just fine and I donít plan on adding more any time soon, so I doubt Atmos would make much difference in my situation. Thanks for the responses, guys.
Old 03-07-2018, 08:18 PM   #14

Feb 2012

I don't have the money to upgrade my receiver right now, so I can only do 2 Atmos speakers, but I do want to upgrade to Atmos now. At first I was going to go with the upward firing speakers, these ELAC A4 Debut Series https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But now I'm thinking I might as well just go with in ceiling speakers as I hear it is a better effect. I don't have too much money to spend, I think I've basically narrowed it down to these three options unless someone has a better suggestion.

Polk MC60 - https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe.../dp/B002JTG0PO
Polk RC80i - https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC...20B2482Q6&th=1
Polk 80 F/X - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LQDWO0...oding=UTF8&me=

What's the benefit of the 80 F/X that it's such a higher price than the other two? I'd be willing to spend that much if it would make a big difference...

Am I correct in thinking that any of these three is a better choice than the ELAC speakers?

Thanks in advance for the help... looking forward to upgrading my sound system.
Old 03-27-2018, 12:35 AM   #15

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by trevrox View Post
I don't have the money to upgrade my receiver right now, so I can only do 2 Atmos speakers, but I do want to upgrade to Atmos now. At first I was going to go with the upward firing speakers, these ELAC A4 Debut Series https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

But now I'm thinking I might as well just go with in ceiling speakers as I hear it is a better effect. I don't have too much money to spend, I think I've basically narrowed it down to these three options unless someone has a better suggestion.

Polk MC60 - https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-Pe.../dp/B002JTG0PO
Polk RC80i - https://www.amazon.com/Polk-Audio-RC...20B2482Q6&th=1
Polk 80 F/X - https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004LQDWO0...oding=UTF8&me=

What's the benefit of the 80 F/X that it's such a higher price than the other two? I'd be willing to spend that much if it would make a big difference...

Am I correct in thinking that any of these three is a better choice than the ELAC speakers?

Thanks in advance for the help... looking forward to upgrading my sound system.
I don't have "official" Atmos speakers, but just installed two small cube speakers I got from Amazon for $28.99 and they really are terrific and LOUD. I'm running it in a 5.1.2 setup with these speakers above my head and I love the way it sounds.

Acoustic Audio AA321B surround sound speakers on Amazon. Check them out
Old 03-27-2018, 12:51 AM   #16

Mar 2013

I bought 2 sets of Paradigm c100 speakers for my atmos setup. I don’t have a great setup but it gets the job done. Don’t have the greatest pics but you can see them in my gallery. Can get them nice and loud with no distortion
My DVD/HD-DVD/BLU-RAY/UHD Collection
DISPLAY: JVC X950RB 3D Projector (106" screen) Samsung 51" 3D Plasma, Oppo-203(Region Free)
SYSTEMS: PS3, PS4, WiiU, XBOX 360, XBOX ONE X, NINTENDO SWITCH
RECEIVER: Marantz sr7010, Atmos/DTS:X 5.2.4
Old 04-17-2018, 11:29 AM   #17

Jan 2008

I respect what you all prefer and whatnot, but I tend to agree what Andrew Jones has said about in-ceiling speakers vs enabled, upfiring speakers as he prefers the enabled. Check out this video where he talks about it and I have also typed it out below...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew Jones
I got involved in doing an enabled system because of what I heard when Dolby showed it to me. I prefered the sound of the enabled. And it’s interesting since that time as more and more film mixes have been exposed to the enabled type approach. They prefer the enabled sound, because in the theatrical movies and any theater, the speakers are way above you; in a home they’re not. If there’s physical speakers in the ceiling, it’s 7.5 feet to 8 feet typically - it’s a bit too close. And as you move around the listening locations, you’re getting closer to one speaker than the other, the image is shifting, you’re aware of a physical speaker. From up there with the bounced signal from the enabled, this appears upside down six feet above the ceiling. So the source that you’re aware of, that’s giving you the encoding information to give height, is 6 foot above an 8 foot ceiling and it doesn’t change as you move around. So the sound field, I think, become more immersive, more continuous, maybe not quite as discrete, but the real fun aspect of Atmos is the immersion in the sound field.

And I know some people will say, "Well, he's just trying to sell a product," I wouldn't be so sure and immediately jump to that conclusion! Prior to object-based sound like DTS:X and Dolby Atmos, we've always had in-ceiling speakers, and while they're nice and theatrical, it's nothing new. Reflective speakers are the newest addition to home audio and when they're done right, they are completely 360 degree immersive... anyone who hasn't experienced this with enabled speakers is either setting them up and dialing them in WRONG or their ceilings are too high to witness the true benefit of them!

Every time I play a well done Dolby Atmos or DTS:X (The Incredible Hulk 4K UHD) movie, I am grinning ear to ear in amazement with not just "height effects," guys... I'm talking 360 degree sound field immersion (and I have popcorn ceilings, which are considered bad for upfiring speakers)! I have a home where speakers were prewired through the walls and I have the ability to go in-ceiling if I really wanted to, but I have no desire to, because what I'm experiencing from upfiring is my complete immersion in the soundfield without being able to pinpoint what speaker it's coming from! This will be eliminated if I go to an in-ceiling installation and that's why I will never do so.

For those who have higher ceilings and a larger room for your theater, it's probably best that you go the in-ceiling route, but for those who have a smaller area to work with, height and length-wise, don't discount enabled, upfiring speakers. Make sure you are dialing them in correctly before dismissing them. Because I can honestly say, if they aren't blowing you away by listening to the object-based effects, then you don't have them set up properly! (Personally, I would never buy the enabled/upfiring drivers built into the Left and Right speakers, only the modules as they may not be properly angled for the correct reflection to your main listening position.)

Last edited by SuperFist; 04-17-2018 at 11:51 AM.
Old 06-05-2018, 06:19 PM   #18
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008

I have a question regarding Atmos and speaker placement. I have 7 speakers from my old Onkyo HT system. Roughly about a year ago I got a new receiver that was Dobly Atmos capable, but I kept my original speakers. I currently have two speakers on either side of the television, two speakers on the wall above the couch, a center speaker, on the entertainment center, and two speakers on above the television in respective corners respectively. The subwoofer is on the floor to the right of the entertainment center if facing it.

I am able to access Dolby Atmos on my receiver, but my question is whether or not I need a ceiling mounted speaker or not to fully get Dolby Atmos sound. If I do need a ceiling mounted speaker could I use one of the ones I currently have? I live in a condo on the top floor so the roof is right on top of my ceiling so I'm not sure if mounting it would even be possible. Or look good with the wires and all hanging down or taped down to the ceiling. Thanks in advance for any help received.
Old 06-05-2018, 09:33 PM   #19

Jun 2013

To get the full impact of Atmos, you'd want the speakers on the ceiling above your listening position. Your receiver might have a setting for using your extra pair as "Atmos Enabled" speakers. You could angle them to bounce off of the ceiling. Most of the time they would need to be placed on top of your main right and left speakers.
Old 06-05-2018, 11:17 PM   #20
Blu-ray Samurai

Jun 2008

I can't place the speaker/speakers above my listening position, as my couch is up against a wall. I was thinking of placing it in the center of the ceiling. Could I use the speakers I have or do I need special speakers? Or could I place one of the speakers in the corner on it's back so that it's facing the ceiling?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Home Theater > Home Theater General Discussion