Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Matrix 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99
8 hrs ago
Memories of Underdevelopment (Blu-ray)
$21.98
2 hrs ago
Bridge of Spies (Blu-ray)
$8.99

You Were Never Really Here (Blu-ray)
$18.84
11 hrs ago
Avatar The Last Airbender: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$29.99

Tombstone (Blu-ray)
$8.99

A Quiet Place 4K (Blu-ray)
$24.99

The Sand Pebbles (Blu-ray)
$6.99
8 hrs ago
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

The Finest Hours (Blu-ray)
$8.99

Night at the Museum 3-Movie Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99

Army of Darkness (Blu-ray)
$19.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-06-2018, 08:45 PM   #1201
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintersan View Post
You should invest in some nice enclosed over the ear headphones (AKG, Sennheiser, many others) and you will be in a wonderful place while your wife sleeps peacefully next to you. It's simply awe inducing when you hear things that you never heard before, this goes for music as well. I have some AKG K240 Monitor headphones and the first time I heard them at a studio I went out and dropped $160 on a pair that night.
Thanks for the suggestions. I see now those AKG and Sennheiser headphones don't necessarily have to be super expensive. I just might consider getting one for those late viewings.
Living room: Sony VPL-VW260ES | 104" 16:9 Projecta Elpro Concept screen | Sony KD-75ZD9 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Sony BDP-S790 (Region free) | Sony STR-DN1070 | B&W 5.1 setup
Bedroom: Sony KD-65ZD9 | Sony UBP-X800 (Region free) | Sony STR-DN1050 | Boston Acoustics 5.1 setup
Gaming: PlayStation 4 Pro | PlayStation VR | Xbox 360 | Xbox One | Wii | Switch | New Nintendo 3DS XL
Old 02-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #1202

Feb 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by mca213 View Post
I see the deluxe edition is including the US/orion pictures cut. Is this the one titled, "Terror at the Opera" ?
According to Mondo Digital yes. Here's the link: http://www.mondo-digital.com/opera.html
Thanks given by:
mca213 (02-06-2018)
Old 02-06-2018, 10:34 PM   #1203
Special Member

Oct 2015
Maine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Man From Hammer View Post
My recently purchased Sony player (which I got for SACD and DVDA) has a Bluetooth output which works well with Bluetooth headphones but currently all the ones I've tried are too bulky.
The Bluetooth works one way only although there is a Sony app for streaming music from your phone to the player via wifi.
Do you know what the app is called or how to find it?
Old 02-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #1204
Banned

Jan 2018

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jlouisbarrett View Post
Do you know what the app is called or how to find it?
I'm in the UK so yours might be different.
"Music Center" is on the Play Store. Streams to my Sony UHP H1 but I'm sure it will stream to other Sony players too.
I tested a pair of Sony Bluetooth headphones which worked well but were too bulky , and rather annoyingly the PS3 could find them but I couldn't get music from the PS3 to the phones
Old 02-06-2018, 11:20 PM   #1205
Power Member

Jan 2011
San Fernando Valley, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJR662 View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. I see now those AKG and Sennheiser headphones don't necessarily have to be super expensive. I just might consider getting one for those late viewings.
I've been really happy with my Sony MDR-V6's, which run under $100. I tried a couple more expensive Sennheiser models, but always went back to the Sonys. I have to agree with splintersan on using headphones in general -- I'm always hearing stuff I'd never heard before. I was laughing the other night at a mother and daughter having a fight off camera in Eyes of Laura Mars.
Thanks given by:
2-perf (02-07-2018), DJR662 (02-07-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:15 AM   #1206
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

If you have a really good headphone Amp and DAC, IMO the sennheiser hd700 are in a league of their own for the price. With the wrong amp they can be a bit harsh tho.

Hd800 S is spectacular as well with same caveat.

Hd600-hd650 get very high marks but i find them boring sounding.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (02-07-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:43 AM   #1207
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Quote:
Just make sure they are enclosed (have hard casing around outside) otherwise your wife may not like you. The AKG's I have are semi-open so some sound leaks out while listening at louder volume. I have a pair of Grado's that are the same but used to have Sony's and Bowers & Wilkins that were closed. I also have a "cheap" pair of bluetooth headphones for mowing the lawn by Skullcandy that while not good sound quality compared to my AKG's or Grado they sound better than most in ear headphones. You can definitely get a good starter set for under $100.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 08:43 AM   #1208
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Thanks for the suggestions everyone, will definitely look into it. Since I've always been a Sony man, I will probably end up with one of theirs.

Back to Opera now.

I watched it last night and I thought it was great!

Since it was 1:30AM already, I decided to watch it in the bedroom with my in-ear headphones. The stereo track is indeed definitely 2.0 channel stereo. There's clearly channel seperation during the music but also with soundeffects. For example, at 0:2:58 there's someome riding a motorcycle on the right side of the screen. You can clearly hear him pass by on the right channel in accordance. Also during the scenes after Betty's first performance (everyone congratulating her, introduction of the inspector etc), there is a lot of commotion going on in the background. You can hear all sorts of sounds coming from the left and then from the right during the dialogue scenes. I'm very pleased, loving the audio! Scorpion should correct the backcover if they can for future releases. They should be proud to have this excellent stereo track on it. People might skip it because of the mentioning of it being mono, like I did in the first place.

As for the 5.1 surround track. I still think it's sounds "weird" because of the voices coming so clearly from all the front speakers, while they also can be heard at very low volume from the rear speakers (sort of a loud echo so to speak). But I don't mind because the stereo track is all I needed anyway and will be my preference with each viewing. I listened to the 5.1 track for a short time again this morning, but only for a a couple of scenes.

I didn't go looking for issues with the video, I just watched the movie like I normally would (and still fully enjoy it after all these years). I'm not saying there aren't any because I may be not as eagle eyed as others and not as informed on certain things. But I thought it looked great! And being a huge upgrade from the German release already is enough for me. Should someone (Arrow, Synapse) somehow be able to top this release, then that's fine and I will buy it again. But should this remain the last time Opera gets released on Blu-ray, then I'm also fine with that and I will consider this to be the "definite" release after all.
Living room: Sony VPL-VW260ES | 104" 16:9 Projecta Elpro Concept screen | Sony KD-75ZD9 | Panasonic DMP-UB900 | Sony BDP-S790 (Region free) | Sony STR-DN1070 | B&W 5.1 setup
Bedroom: Sony KD-65ZD9 | Sony UBP-X800 (Region free) | Sony STR-DN1050 | Boston Acoustics 5.1 setup
Gaming: PlayStation 4 Pro | PlayStation VR | Xbox 360 | Xbox One | Wii | Switch | New Nintendo 3DS XL

Last edited by DJR662; 02-07-2018 at 08:48 AM.
Thanks given by:
nitin (02-08-2018), RadicalThrasher (02-10-2018), Rockercub (02-07-2018), ScorpionReleasing (02-07-2018), splintersan (02-07-2018), SymbioticFunction (02-07-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-07-2018), WesReviews (02-07-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 12:05 PM   #1209
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:

As for the 5.1 surround track. I still think it's sounds "weird" because of the voices coming so clearly from all the front speakers, while they also can be heard at very low volume from the rear speakers (sort of a loud echo so to speak).

I will consider this to be the "definite" release after all.
Cool. Likely the 5.1 used the 2.0 track as the source for the upmix. Without using the original dialog stems and completely rebuilding the soundtrack there's only so much you can do to prevent channel bleed via DSP while also delivering convincing surround effects.
Old 02-07-2018, 12:39 PM   #1210
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
Cool. Likely the 5.1 used the 2.0 track as the source for the upmix. Without using the original dialog stems and completely rebuilding the soundtrack there's only so much you can do to prevent channel bleed via DSP while also delivering convincing surround effects.
Could that be the reason why I got about the same effect when playing the stereo track using Dolby Pro Logic II on my receiver?

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me, I'm perfectly happy with the stereo track and the overall PQ. This was well worth the money IMO, can't wait to watch it again.
Old 02-07-2018, 01:23 PM   #1211
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009

Quote:
Could that be the reason why I got about the same effect when playing the stereo track using Dolby Pro Logic II on my receiver?

Anyway it doesn't really matter to me, I'm perfectly happy with the stereo track and the overall PQ. This was well worth the money IMO, can't wait to watch it again.
Yep they probably did something similar to a matrix decode of the Stereo track and encoded the non discrete output as discrete 5.1.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:28 PM   #1212
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2012
Funkytown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
If you don't care about the Italian soundtrack saving $40 ain't a bad plan.
Yeah, that was the direction I jumped. 13 bucks was cheap enough for me to pull the trigger. It showed up yesterday and I'm planning on watching tonight. If the deluxe package is sweet enough and I like the movie enough, I'll eat the 10 spot and upgrade. But for now, the basic version is fine enough.
Old 02-09-2018, 08:59 PM   #1213
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011

I think I am more interested in hearing the original soundtrack (Cannes) than anything else.
Wanted:
Criterion: 'The Third Man' Digipak (do NOT need discs or booklets)
Studio Canal Collection Nordic Edition slipcovers for digibook releases
Alliance Canada HANNA SteelBook (clean BACK without dents or scratches)
Thanks given by:
Keyser Soze. (02-10-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-10-2018), WaverBoy (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:52 PM   #1214

Feb 2016

Opera was never really one of my favorite Argento films but I'm glad I went ahead and upgraded from the DVD.
[Show spoiler]The nonchalant way everybody involved with the Macbeth production reacts to the serial murders of their co-workers always bugged the s**t out of me.
The wobble was never obvious enough to distract me when I watched it. I had no idea Opera was this colorful and I appreciate the effort that went into this release.
Thanks given by:
DJR662 (02-09-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 05:26 AM   #1215
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

Tonight I actually had the chance to sit down and watch Opera. This was my first viewing of the film in it's entirety, I thought I had never seen it before but in watching it I've defintely seen bits & pieces over the years. The film itself was a pretty entertaining piece of later Argento. He's got a knack for making his films way too long, there were moments leading up to the finale where it kind of felt like it was running circles around the point it was trying to make. I think this could easily have been trimmed by about 10 minutes, but that doesn't really matter, it's just my personal preference. I was blown away by how violent the film was, the first stabbing was so gory. The gunshot scene was probably my favorite though, it was executed just well enough that made me want to rewind it and watch it again. I think overall it would probably fall into mid tier Argento for me but a good late period giallo.

The score was good, I even liked the cheesey metal tracks. I do wish that Goblin's work was pushed a little more to the fore front and not taking a backseat to the opera music and metal.

I borrowed a friends DVD copy for comparison purposes.

Now on to the stuff every one around here cares about. First the easy part, the audio sounds good. I watched the film with the 2.0 track and skimmed parts of the 5.1 after finishing the film. The 2.0 track packs some punch at times, more than expected from a dubbed film. The reverb was a little distracting at first, it works really well for all of the theater scenes but the scenes in bedrooms and apartments seem a touch off (an Italian dub that feels off? No way!). I compared a few scenes against the DVD I borrowed which has a 5.1 track on it, no reverb but there is a faint hiss to the track and it sounds like some processing was done to the audio, although this can be part of the compression done to the 5.1 to get it on a DVD, it's tough to say.

Next up is the video. Let me just start by saying this is the best Opera has ever looked. The image is beautiful, the green tinge that the DVD had is gone. The image is strong, not washed out or faded. It's incredible to see the uptick in detail, especially in the shot where it pans around the opera hall looking at all of the seating. Speaking of that scene, it's at roughly 8:30, this is the only scene in the film that I noticed the "wobble" that has been talked about, it may be in other spots but it's so minor that I never picked up on it. I did a direct comparison to the DVD on this specific shot and guess what, there is some wobble to the image there as well, it's definitely more noticeable on the new transfer. I think a lot of people won't even notice this because it looks just like the regular judder you get from panning a 24fps camera. There are some moments of scratches on the film and a little debris but overall the image is excellent (and I don't know about most of you but I like seeing some film damage here and there). Any one on the fence or worried about the transfer needs to just buy this, you will be happy with the picture, it's excellent. I would say it looks better than Synapses Tenebrae transfer and it maybe better than Arrows Bird transfer (I have to revisit this before I fully back this up). As for the framing, I did not notice anything in any shots that wasn't supposed to be there and nothing felt off from having a more in the frame. Comparing stills from various versions will make it seem worse that it actually is. For those that haven't seen the film the camera is constantly moving in the film so very rarely do you have static shots where you can say "that's not perfectly centered".

I will definitely be picking up the Deluxe Edition, I hope Walt does not listen to the few complaining about the transfer, there is no need to "fix" the minor problems and spend all the extra money on it. I'm really interested in the other audio tracks though, that's a big draw for me. I'm curious to listen to it in Italian. At $50 I'm in (although I feel that is a little too much for the quality of Argento this is), at $65 it goes to the back burner until I get extra $$$ to burn.

I think I'm going to order Stendhal Syndrome next week.
Thanks given by:
Brutalizer79 (02-10-2018), Catastrophe (02-12-2018), coldheart (02-10-2018), DJR662 (02-11-2018), mja345 (02-11-2018), Pecker (02-10-2018), Rockercub (02-10-2018), Ruined (02-10-2018), tommynorcal (02-10-2018), Vinyl0Tracker (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:05 PM   #1216

Jul 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cinema74 View Post
Oh, dear. Now I'm really tempted to buy the regular edition. If I had a ballpark release date for the Deluxe version I'd wait but I don't want to wait too long. I don't really need a CD so maybe that will ease the guilt a little if I skip it
There is a ballpark release date. April.
Old 02-11-2018, 01:15 AM   #1217
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by splintersan View Post
I do wish that Goblin's work was pushed a little more to the fore front and not taking a backseat to the opera music and metal.
Good post but I do feel obliged to point out that Goblin didn't provide any tracks for the film. It was just one solo member of the original line-up (Simonetti).
Neil Harrison.

50" Panasonic plasma and 6.1 sound.
Old 02-11-2018, 06:16 AM   #1218
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010

That heavy metal music is a joke. It comes close to ruining the scenes it's used in.
Thanks given by:
WaverBoy (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 07:40 AM   #1219
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
That heavy metal music is a joke. It comes close to ruining the scenes it's used in.
I don't like it in Phenomena but strangely, I have no issues with Opera.
Neil Harrison.

50" Panasonic plasma and 6.1 sound.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:15 AM   #1220

Apr 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
It fits, I don't see the big deal *shrugs*

Argento films are basically the musical equivalent of that type of music. Sure, they could've used one of the better bands of that era, like Motley Crue. At least they picked the right style of music, instead of s*#t like The Smiths, or The Cure.
Thanks given by:
Brutalizer79 (02-11-2018), DJR662 (02-11-2018), GasmaskAvenger (02-12-2018), sleepaway77 (02-12-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America