Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Jurassic Park 25th Anniversary Collection (Blu-ray)
£25.00
Singin' in the Rain (Blu-ray)
£4.99
Suicide Squad: Hell to Pay (Blu-ray)
£12.99
The LEGO Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.46
Jersey Boys (Blu-ray)
£4.99
The 15:17 to Paris (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Ice Cold in Alex (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Tom of Finland (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Ship of Fools (Blu-ray)
£14.99
The Prisoner: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
£22.49
Puppet Master (Blu-ray)
£26.99
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 11-03-2014, 09:21 AM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2010
United Kingdom Cecil B DeMille's Cleopatra 1934

Tonight I screened the Masters of Cinema blu-ray of Cleopatra with Claudette Colbert. WONDERFUL! The sets and camerawork were astonishing. Particularly a shot on Cleopatra's barge where the camera pulls back from the two lovers past dancing girls and galley slaves at oars to a drummer beating out time for the oar strokes. It was a shot that was just as amazing as anything Hitchcock ever pulled off. The costumes and sets were spectacular, with a bit of an art deco touch. The restoration done by UCLA was absolutely perfect with lots of detail and good sound. I haven't looked at the supplements, but they look interesting, particularly one on the Hayes Office. This film came in right under the wire for censorship and boy howdy! there's an awful lot of attractive undraped flesh to look at here. Another EU only gem of a blu-ray.
Thanks given by:
ArnoldLayne56 (11-04-2017), yer wot? (02-09-2018)
Old 11-03-2014, 10:00 AM   #2
Blu-ray Knight

Apr 2013
United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more. I picked up the steelbook last year and was massively impressed by how well presented this movie was, especially considering the age of the movie itself.
Split like light refracted....
....across a moonlit mile
Old 11-04-2017, 05:37 AM   #3
Expert Member

Dec 2012
Silicon Valley

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigshot View Post
Tonight I screened the Masters of Cinema blu-ray of Cleopatra with Claudette Colbert. WONDERFUL! The sets and camerawork were astonishing. Particularly a shot on Cleopatra's barge where the camera pulls back from the two lovers past dancing girls and galley slaves at oars to a drummer beating out time for the oar strokes. It was a shot that was just as amazing as anything Hitchcock ever pulled off. The costumes and sets were spectacular, with a bit of an art deco touch. The restoration done by UCLA was absolutely perfect with lots of detail and good sound. I haven't looked at the supplements, but they look interesting, particularly one on the Hayes Office. This film came in right under the wire for censorship and boy howdy! there's an awful lot of attractive undraped flesh to look at here. Another EU only gem of a blu-ray.
Thanks for your comments Bigshot. I'm buying a used copy on amazon.uk right now....just checking around first.
Old 11-04-2017, 11:55 AM   #4
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

It is a gorgeous steelbook. I picked it up with The Passion of Joan of Arc LE... both were 6.99!
Thanks given by:
ArnoldLayne56 (11-04-2017), Si Parallel Universe (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 10:09 PM   #5

Mar 2014

For anyone who missed this great edition, US is getting this film on BR through Universal.

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=22843

Transfer will be same as Eureka has it licensed from Universal when it was released.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste7en View Post
It is a gorgeous steelbook. I picked it up with The Passion of Joan of Arc LE... both were 6.99!
Just checked my order now and it was 5.99!
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (02-10-2018), Ste7en (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 05:18 AM   #6
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2010
India

^The Universal announcement says "Brand new restoration". Anyhow, the Eureka transfer looks great to be sure, and it's a very snappy entertaining film, unlike the pompous balloons of production design and hot air De Mille was known for later.
Thanks given by:
DefLeppard (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:17 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2010
UK

[Show spoiler]

It is a very nice steelbook
Thanks given by:
DefLeppard (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:47 PM   #8
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Arrow

I'm ready for my close up now ....

Yep I paid 5.99 in Fopp for the Steelie alongside The Passion of Joan Of Arc for the same price too. Initially thought the latter was a pricing error because of scalping prices on bay of e .
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Thanks given by:
DefLeppard (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:10 PM   #9

Mar 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^The Universal announcement says "Brand new restoration". Anyhow, the Eureka transfer looks great to be sure, and it's a very snappy entertaining film, unlike the pompous balloons of production design and hot air De Mille was known for later.
Overlooked that information, thank you. Yeah , Eureka has put up a great release so I wonder how the new restoration looks. Might get when this hits below $12.99 based on the review .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Si Parallel Universe View Post
I'm ready for my close up now ....

Yep I paid 5.99 in Fopp for the Steelie alongside The Passion of Joan Of Arc for the same price too. Initially thought the latter was a pricing error because of scalping prices on bay of e .
Really miss those flash deals . Even though Eureka's Amz store doesn't offer international shipping anymore,I am not missing the current deals as sales catalog is not that big as it once used to be . In another update, Amz took my payment for the Caligari steelbook [glad that Amz has reserved this for me even though it went OOP many months ago] bundled with one of the pre-order items; I was about to cancel as the price is some 20+ but noticed it has an extra BD for special futures.
Thanks given by:
Si Parallel Universe (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 10:24 PM   #10
Banned

Nov 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by ravenus View Post
^The Universal announcement says "Brand new restoration".
Most of the times they mean "brand new" to the specific territory, and they use years old restorations.
Don't know if that's the case here too though.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:38 PM   #11
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2015
Rhondda United kingdom
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefLeppard View Post
Really miss those flash deals . Even though Eureka's Amz store doesn't offer international shipping anymore,I am not missing the current deals as sales catalog is not that big as it once used to be . In another update, Amz took my payment for the Caligari steelbook [glad that Amz has reserved this for me even though it went OOP many months ago] bundled with one of the pre-order items; I was about to cancel as the price is some 20+ but noticed it has an extra BD for special futures.
The sole reason I bought the Caligari Steel was because of the extra content and I even managed to get 20 for my old Blu thanks to HMV not reducing their price on the amaray and having still not opened it
Films I would like to see on Blu Ray (In no particular order) : The Phantom Lady (1944) Local Hero (1983) The 7 Faces of Dr Lao (1964) Martin (1977) Straight To Hell (1980) Escape From Sobibor (1987) The Phantom Tollbooth (1970) The Amazing Mr. Blunden (1972)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland