Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

The Blacklist: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
2 hrs ago
DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Blu-ray)
$26.34
12 hrs ago
Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-06-2018, 10:17 AM   #141

Sep 2015
Greater Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GasmaskAvenger View Post
Just came in the mail.

So glad I didn't receive the Olive release by accident.
Is there anything especially egregious about the Olive Blu-ray compared to the Lionsgate one? I understand that it doesn't have the special features, but is there anything about the presentation?

Either way, I like the touch from Olive using the original theatrical poster for their Highlander 2 Blu-ray, whereas Lionsgate reuses the DVD art for the Special Edition.
The Greatest Non-Canon Street Fighter

My Budget Set-up: LG 43UH6500, Logitech Z906, Sony UBP-X800, PlayStation 3 12 GB Super Slim, XBOX One S 500GB
Old 02-06-2018, 03:08 PM   #142
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinStriker View Post
Is there anything especially egregious about the Olive Blu-ray compared to the Lionsgate one? I understand that it doesn't have the special features, but is there anything about the presentation?

Either way, I like the touch from Olive using the original theatrical poster for their Highlander 2 Blu-ray, whereas Lionsgate reuses the DVD art for the Special Edition.
The LionsGate has a higher bitrate than the Olive one, the latter a tad brighter as well (they both use the same shitty transfer though). The Lionsgate has the 7.1 mix while the Olive only has 2.0.

500 years ago on the planet Zeist
Region A/B positive
MOD BD-R? Heck no!
Old 02-06-2018, 08:50 PM   #143

Sep 2015
Greater Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWithThePrize View Post
The LionsGate has a higher bitrate than the Olive one, the latter a tad brighter as well (they both use the same shitty transfer though). The Lionsgate has the 7.1 mix while the Olive only has 2.0.
I was going to say "Wouldn't the 2.0 mix be preferable for purists?" but this isn't the original cut of the film anyway. Or the original version of the Director's Cut. Eh heh

My Budget Set-up: LG 43UH6500, Logitech Z906, Sony UBP-X800, PlayStation 3 12 GB Super Slim, XBOX One S 500GB
Old 02-06-2018, 09:25 PM   #144

Mar 2011
KappyTown

Quote:
Just came in the mail.

So glad I didn't receive the Olive release by accident.
Is there a big noticeable difference compared to the DVD?
I remember reviews bashing the BD for looking worse than the DVD. I was thinking of getting the Japanese BD but it didnt have any extras like the Highlander III BD did.
Power to the Donut!
Old 02-06-2018, 09:33 PM   #145

Sep 2015
Greater Vancouver, B.C.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donut View Post
Is there a big noticeable difference compared to the DVD?
I remember reviews bashing the BD for looking worse than the DVD. I was thinking of getting the Japanese BD but it didnt have any extras like the Highlander III BD did.
I'm positive that the Blu-ray uses the same video transfer as the DVD, but I think it's an improvement all around.

Old 02-06-2018, 10:27 PM   #146
Blu-ray Guru

Oct 2009
Louisville, KY

You can see screen caps here:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...5&l=0&i=4&go=1

This movie... is frustrating.

I really love the cinematography and the visual look (it has a very BLADE RUNNER vibe going throughout). Lambert, Madsen, Connery and Ironside are all fun, and there are good ideas in there.. but the alien stuff?

This could have been good with a bit more work on the script.

[Show spoiler]If they made Virginia Madsen Conner's daughter (give her red hair like Brenda) and she is part of a resistance to destroy her father's creation, which is destroying the Earth's environment. Ironside and his co-horts have pale white skin and pure black eyes, as they are alien immortals who also have an invested interest in destroying the shield, as their are alien immortals fleeing their world and their fight, who are seeking refuge on Earth, as the shield is preventing them from landing and their race's enforcers are on their way.

Conner has a decision: fix the shield to save the Earth but risk his daughter dying, as well as the aliens seeking refuge.. or destroy the shield generator and risk becoming an immortal again by rekindling the immortal conflict on Earth and watch his daughter die from old age, much less everyone else he has ever cared about.

Have Connery back as his conscious (as the winner of The Prize, he would still have his soul contained within him), so he would be akin to Val Kilmer Elvis in TRUE ROMANCE.

That would have retained continuity with the first film (Conner is a f-cking Scotsman, not a f-cking alien) and you still retain the BLADE RUNNEResque aspect and alien angle

I would still consider getting the Lionsgate release, due to the 7.1 audio as well as the fact that it is "fairly" entertaining for what it is... but dammit Mulcahey, you could have made this a good movie.
Thanks given by:
KevinStriker (02-08-2018), The Fallen Deity (02-08-2018)
Old 02-07-2018, 01:53 PM   #147
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinStriker View Post
I'm positive that the Blu-ray uses the same video transfer as the DVD, but I think it's an improvement all around.
Considering how it has looked that is not saying much. Large chunks of the blu-ray (either release) still looks like utter s**t. They claimed this to be a 4K remaster but I doubt they actually had access to the original negatives, much less an IP of it. Methinks they still owe whoever holds the originals a nice chunk of change for it and used whatever sources they had to piece this together.

Region A/B positive
MOD BD-R? Heck no!
Old 02-08-2018, 03:22 PM   #148
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Half of the transfer looks like utter shit but the other half looks fantastic.

It's so frustrating.

Still though, it's an improvement over the DVD in the places where it actually looks good. Plus the 7.1 mix sounds great.
Hail to the king baby
Old 02-08-2018, 03:25 PM   #149
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monroville View Post
You can see screen caps here:

https://www.caps-a-holic.com/c.php?a...5&l=0&i=4&go=1

This movie... is frustrating.

I really love the cinematography and the visual look (it has a very BLADE RUNNER vibe going throughout). Lambert, Madsen, Connery and Ironside are all fun, and there are good ideas in there.. but the alien stuff?

This could have been good with a bit more work on the script.

[Show spoiler]If they made Virginia Madsen Conner's daughter (give her red hair like Brenda) and she is part of a resistance to destroy her father's creation, which is destroying the Earth's environment. Ironside and his co-horts have pale white skin and pure black eyes, as they are alien immortals who also have an invested interest in destroying the shield, as their are alien immortals fleeing their world and their fight, who are seeking refuge on Earth, as the shield is preventing them from landing and their race's enforcers are on their way.

Conner has a decision: fix the shield to save the Earth but risk his daughter dying, as well as the aliens seeking refuge.. or destroy the shield generator and risk becoming an immortal again by rekindling the immortal conflict on Earth and watch his daughter die from old age, much less everyone else he has ever cared about.

Have Connery back as his conscious (as the winner of The Prize, he would still have his soul contained within him), so he would be akin to Val Kilmer Elvis in TRUE ROMANCE.

That would have retained continuity with the first film (Conner is a f-cking Scotsman, not a f-cking alien) and you still retain the BLADE RUNNEResque aspect and alien angle

I would still consider getting the Lionsgate release, due to the 7.1 audio as well as the fact that it is "fairly" entertaining for what it is... but dammit Mulcahey, you could have made this a good movie.
That would've worked a lot better then what we actually got.
Hail to the king baby
Old 02-08-2018, 09:14 PM   #150
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

The PQ is as much of a hot mess as the movie itself.

That said, its a lot of fun to watch in spite of the unhinged insanity at display.
Thanks given by:
Lionel Horsepackage (04-16-2018), The Fallen Deity (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 03:21 AM   #151
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2011
Scotland

Quote:
The PQ is as much of a hot mess as the movie itself.

That said, its a lot of fun to watch in spite of the unhinged insanity at display.
I guess it's only fitting.
Hail to the king baby
Old 02-09-2018, 05:33 AM   #152
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidglov3s View Post
I would be all over a Blu-ray of either the American or European theatrical release versions of Highlander II. Trying to make this a better movie completely misses the mark on what makes it special or interesting.
Agreed 100%. I want the complete Zeist experience of the extended European theatrical release with the fairytale ending, as all I've seen is the American theatrical version, which I actually enjoyed more than the original HIGHLANDER because HIGHLANDER 2 is one of the most gloriously ridiculous films ever made.

Also, it absolutely boggles the mind that there were REPEATED attempts to make this film better by pouring more money into it.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:34 AM   #153
Blu-ray Knight

Jul 2014
Fresno, California, USA

I downloaded a fan edit years ago that combines all elements into one super long version.

Zeist, the fairy tale ending, the truck fight shot in the mid 90s and all.
Thanks given by:
WaverBoy (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 05:41 AM   #154
Special Member

May 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOneWithThePrize View Post
Except the theatrical version of H2 is only on the accompanying DVD which is non-anamorphic on top of that.
A non-anamorphic DVD this late in the game? WTF
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 AM   #155
Power Member

Jan 2015

I really want to add this movie to my collection but really not sure which version to go with (I have no real memory of the film having only seen it on VHS once as a kid). I have read through this forum and there seem to be so many different versions and releases.

Could someone with more knowledge of the franchise please post a picture of the cover art of the best release and bullet point why they feel it is the one to get.

I am region free so recommendations from anywhere are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #156
Special Member

Sep 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaverBoy View Post
A non-anamorphic DVD this late in the game? WTF
And it also looks like they just transferred the entire exposed picture area from the negative. It was anamorphic, so it's not as bad as a full-aperture transfer of an "open-matte" film would be, but you can see the matte-box shadow in many shots.
Old 04-16-2018, 12:05 AM   #157

Oct 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragon Ranger View Post
I really want to add this movie to my collection but really not sure which version to go with (I have no real memory of the film having only seen it on VHS once as a kid). I have read through this forum and there seem to be so many different versions and releases.

Could someone with more knowledge of the franchise please post a picture of the cover art of the best release and bullet point why they feel it is the one to get.

I am region free so recommendations from anywhere are most welcome.

Thanks in advance.
You are a little late as in both US versions are sold out. Your best hope is the Japanese version which is expensive, or I guess you could just get it on DVD.
Old 04-16-2018, 02:07 AM   #158

Dec 2016
Royal Palm Beach

There needs to be a blu box set of the whole collection.
word.

Instagram : @tophsgram
Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 AM   #159

Sep 2012
Ft. Worth, Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crispy0009 View Post
There needs to be a blu box set of the whole collection.
Lionsgate released a dvd set of all five films. That’s the only complete collection that is out.
Old 04-16-2018, 03:53 PM   #160
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2009
En flugskit i kosmos
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffarent View Post
Lionsgate released a dvd set of all five films. Thatís the only complete collection that is out.
And what a set that is... They've crammed 4 films on the first DVD (Highlander 1, 3-5) and Highlander 2 on the second DVD. Stay far, far away!

Region A/B positive
MOD BD-R? Heck no!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America