Best 4K Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Crystal 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
A Few Good Men 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
10 hrs ago
Fury 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.96

Bram Stoker's Dracula 4K (Blu-ray)
$14.99
8 hrs ago
Die Hard 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Blade Runner 2049 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Thor: Ragnarok 4K (Blu-ray)
$22.49

The Dark Knight Trilogy 4K (Blu-ray)
$54.99

Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99
8 hrs ago
It 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.99

The Shape of Water 4K (Blu-ray)
$19.41

Peter Rabbit 4K (Blu-ray)
$20.51

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology

Old 02-09-2018, 04:08 AM   #5261

Aug 2007
West Virginia

for those of you pairing this oppo with an lg oled set (mine is the lg c6 oled) what black level setting on the tv pairs properly with the oppo? black level low? high?
Old 02-09-2018, 04:21 AM   #5262
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by smail.nathan View Post
for those of you pairing this oppo with an lg oled set (mine is the lg c6 oled) what black level setting on the tv pairs properly with the oppo? black level low? high?
You have picture modes, for example Dolby Vision Dark. ISF Expert Dark for non HD, HDR standard for HDR.
Old 02-09-2018, 04:27 AM   #5263

Aug 2007
West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
You have picture modes, for example Dolby Vision Dark. ISF Expert Dark for non HD, HDR standard for HDR.
yeah - i am aware of all that. i am using hdr standard for uhd hdr enabled discs. my question was - which black level setting seems to be the preference or produces the most accurate picture when in any of the modes like hdr standard?

Last edited by smail.nathan; 02-09-2018 at 04:34 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:09 AM   #5264
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2009
SF Bay area - Oppo Beta Tester

Quote:
yeah - i am aware of all that. i am using hdr standard for uhd hdr enabled discs. my question was - which black level setting seems to be the preference or produces the most accurate picture when in any of the modes like hdr standard?
Don't want to make this a different topic thread - but you can check this particular AVS thread for that, in particular this post.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:40 AM   #5265

Aug 2007
West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnAV View Post
Don't want to make this a different topic thread - but you can check this particular AVS thread for that, in particular this post.
johnav - thanks for trying to help. looked at the post you are referring to - and no recommendation there even in those settings on black level. plus, that user recommended turning edge enhancement on - which is an automatic no dice for me.

oh well - again thanks for trying!
Old 02-09-2018, 06:02 AM   #5266

Sep 2017
Seattle, WA

Quote:
Black level "Low" is the correct setting.
LG OLED 55B7A | Onkyo HT-S7800 | OPPO UDP-203 | Apple TV 4K

Last edited by Caleb C.; 02-09-2018 at 06:06 AM.
Old 02-09-2018, 10:33 AM   #5267

May 2010
Germany

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboi View Post
Is this able to play bdr-xl discs?
I think no player currently available can read BD-r XL. I know for a fact that Panasonic and Samsung UHD players can't play them.
Samsung KS7090 65" (German version of the KS8000), Panasonic UB704 Multiregion, Onkyo TX-NR555, KEF Q5, Q1, Q9C
My Blu-ray/DVD Collection
Old 02-09-2018, 10:55 AM   #5268

Dec 2014

Hi all

I started a thread over in the receivers forum but I'm wondering if it's an issue with my 203 as well.

I'm not getting any sound when sending DTS X over bitstream to my Onkyo HT-S5805. The Onkyo is not DTS X compatible but I thought it would still be able to play the HD-MA core.

The one exception is ET on UHD. If I use the disc menu to switch to DTS X Headphone and then back to normal DTS X I get HD-MA 5.1 and it sounds great. This work around doesn't work on any other disc I've tried.

Do we think it is the Oppo or the Onkyo that isn't playing ball or is it me?

Thanks!
Old 02-09-2018, 12:05 PM   #5269
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2013
UK

Maybe the way the disc is authored is causing issues with the combination of your equipment? Whichever is to blame I couldn't fathom a guess. Because you certainly should be getting a DTS-HD MA soundtrack over HDMI.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:49 PM   #5270
Expert Member

Sep 2006
North Carolina
Default UDP-203 and Music Playlist

Have a Synology NAS with a media server app installed on it. I create .M3U playlist files with VUPlayer and store them in a Playlist folder on the NAS drive. When I browse this folder with the 203 I can retrieve the desired playlist file and the 203 will play the music files in the playlist.

I tried to do the same with a USB thumb drive. Created .M3U playlist files with VUPlayer and stored them in a Playlist folder on the thumb drive. Problem: When I go to the Playlist folder nothing shows up on the 203. What am I overlooking?
Old 02-09-2018, 10:04 PM   #5271
Special Member

Mar 2010
Portishead ♫

Quote:
Originally Posted by bga84 View Post
Hi all

I started a thread over in the receivers forum but I'm wondering if it's an issue with my 203 as well.

I'm not getting any sound when sending DTS X over bitstream to my Onkyo HT-S5805. The Onkyo is not DTS X compatible but I thought it would still be able to play the HD-MA core.

The one exception is ET on UHD. If I use the disc menu to switch to DTS X Headphone and then back to normal DTS X I get HD-MA 5.1 and it sounds great. This work around doesn't work on any other disc I've tried.

Do we think it is the Oppo or the Onkyo that isn't playing ball or is it me?

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by oddbox83 View Post
Maybe the way the disc is authored is causing issues with the combination of your equipment? Whichever is to blame I couldn't fathom a guess. Because you certainly should be getting a DTS-HD MA soundtrack over HDMI.
I am not an expert but what the poster just said above is a high probability; a combination of the audio encoding on the disc itself and the Onkyo receiver trying to get a lock-on.

It happens very rarely, and what you did; switching from one audio selection to another will get the lock-on on the audio. Another solution I found in the past when I get no audio is to shut down my pre/pro (or receiver) and back on again.

Last and not least, shut everything down and unplug the HDMI cable going from your 203 to your receiver and plug it back with a full push to both ends.
~ Bob
You may not: Restrict or inhibit any other user from using and enjoying the Web Sites.

Last edited by LordoftheRings; 02-09-2018 at 10:09 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:09 AM   #5272

Aug 2007
West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caleb C. View Post
Black level "Low" is the correct setting.
thank you!
Old 02-10-2018, 01:18 PM   #5273

Sep 2017
London

Quote:
My professional calibrator set Black Level for ISF Expert Dark and Bright to LOW. But for HDR Standard it is set to HIGH. It is the only instance where it is set to HIGH.

Dolby Vision Movie Dark and Bright have it at LOW by default and can't be changed by the user because of the dynamic metadata involved in DV. Scene by scene the "instruction" is there for your TV to display it correctly and as intended.

EDIT: If I remember correctly the reason HDR Standard was set to HIGH for Black level is because of the increase in detail with 4K in darker areas of the picture. The LOW setting would obliterate some of those details.
Home Theatre: Professionally calibrated LG 4k OLED 55" E6V TV- OPPO UDP 203 4k Bluray player - Denon AVR X2400H - Onkyo 5.1.2 speaker package.

4k UHDs most wanted: Jaws, The Exorcist, Jurassic Park, The Towering Inferno, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Psycho, The Shining, Alien, Aliens, True Romance, Halloween, Dog Day Afternoon, Titanic, Poltergeist, The Shawshank Redemption, The Descent.
Blurays most wanted: The Devils (Director's Cut) (4kUHD too) Full Circle(1977)

Last edited by SplitScreen; 02-10-2018 at 01:56 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:28 PM   #5274

Aug 2007
West Virginia

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitScreen View Post
My professional calibrator set Black Level for ISF Expert Dark and Bright to LOW. But for HDR Standard it is set to HIGH. It is the only instance where it is set to HIGH.

Dolby Vision Movie Dark and Bright have it at LOW by default and can't be changed by the user because of the dynamic metadata involved in DV. Scene by scene the "instruction" is there for your TV to display it correctly and as intended.

EDIT: If I remember correctly the reason HDR Standard was set to HIGH for Black level is because of the increase in detail with 4K in darker areas of the picture. The LOW setting would obliterate some of those details.
well this is interesting. another poster said black level low is proper setting in hdr standard mode. but what you are saying about high black level in hdr mode only makes sense.

heres what i see when switching between low and high in hdr standard mode:

1. low mode - the picture looks better/pops more. but anything in dark shadows looks black. example: assassins creed movie - most faces are indistinguishable. all faces are super dark. but rest of picture looks better. but i am losing most shadow detail.

2. high black level mode - faces arent as dark. can see more in shadows. but rest of picture looks a little too bright. picture doesnt pop well.

wish there was a way tomfix to get a little of both - not happy with either one.

anyone else have any opinions/tips?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:43 PM   #5275
Power Member

Apr 2008

Black Level on High is meant to be used when the input is at Full Range/PC Levels. It's definitely wrong for HDR from the Oppo because in HDR mode it always outputs video levels, regardless of the color space setting.
Thanks given by:
Geoff D (02-10-2018), jamesdevil (02-11-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 02:49 PM   #5276

Sep 2017
London

Quote:
well this is interesting. another poster said black level low is proper setting in hdr standard mode. but what you are saying about high black level in hdr mode only makes sense.

heres what i see when switching between low and high in hdr standard mode:

1. low mode - the picture looks better/pops more. but anything in dark shadows looks black. example: assassins creed movie - most faces are indistinguishable. all faces are super dark. but rest of picture looks better. but i am losing most shadow detail.

2. high black level mode - faces arent as dark. can see more in shadows. but rest of picture looks a little too bright. picture doesnt pop well.
On my panel, I only get the loss of detail in shadows/dark areas when trying LOW setting and all those details are then returned when using HIGH setting. I just tried it. I don't get too bright a picture overall on HIGH. Everything looks just right to my eyes. There's plenty of "pop" and it's more detailed. LOW just makes everything too dark overall and some of the 4k detail is being lost.

Has your panel been calibrated at all? The first thing my calibrator did was test my panel for errors "out of the box" and then correct everything from there. And there were errors. Each OLED panel is unique apparently. But, hey, at the end of the day if you prefer the look of LOW on your panel, then go with that.
Home Theatre: Professionally calibrated LG 4k OLED 55" E6V TV- OPPO UDP 203 4k Bluray player - Denon AVR X2400H - Onkyo 5.1.2 speaker package.

4k UHDs most wanted: Jaws, The Exorcist, Jurassic Park, The Towering Inferno, One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest, Psycho, The Shining, Alien, Aliens, True Romance, Halloween, Dog Day Afternoon, Titanic, Poltergeist, The Shawshank Redemption, The Descent.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:53 PM   #5277
Special Member

May 2016
Australia

It's not about 'prefer'. Low is correct, high is incorrect.
Old 02-10-2018, 02:55 PM   #5278

Sep 2017
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pyoko View Post
It's definitely wrong for HDR from the Oppo because in HDR mode it always outputs video levels, regardless of the color space setting.
Interesting. I'd have to ask my calibrator that. He was the one that set it to HIGH as the correct setting and see what he says regarding the OPPO.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:02 PM   #5279

Sep 2017
London

Quote:
Originally Posted by koberulz View Post
It's not about 'prefer'. Low is correct, high is incorrect.
Not according to my calibrator it isn't, but I am going to email him now and find out what he says about this.

Old 02-10-2018, 03:12 PM   #5280
Blu-ray Duke

Jul 2008
Virginia

Sony 55" SXRD 1080P; TCL 55P605 4K/DV/HDR10 & 49S405 4K/HDR10
NAS-4tb, Oppo BDP-105D, 105, 93 players
Marantz AV7702MKII Pre/Pro; NR-1607 receiver; Audioquest XLR & RCA interconnects, iFi iDSD DAC & iUSB, Axiom Spkrs M80v3, VP180v3, QS8v3!
Emotiva XSP-1, XPA-5, UPA-2, UPA-200/700,mini-x Amp, X-Ref 12 DSP Sub/Ultra Sub 12, Pro-Ject Debut 3 TT
Polk Audio SDA-2 & Monitor 10A/5A Peerless Tweeters
ATMOS/DTS:X 7.1.4/5.1.2 NYGIANTS!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K > Ultra HD Blu-ray and 4K Hardware and Technology