Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tom of Finland (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Orchestra Rehearsal (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Cold Blooded Beast (Blu-ray)
£8.99
War for the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
£8.00
The Brave Archer (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Ghost in the Shell 3D (Blu-ray)
£9.99
The Long Hair of Death (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
£9.99
The LEGO Movie 4K (Blu-ray)
£7.49
The 15:17 to Paris (Blu-ray)
£14.99
Blood Simple (Blu-ray)
£8.99
Fifty Shades Freed (Blu-ray)
£14.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland

Old 02-09-2018, 05:33 PM   #21
Power Member

Sep 2012
The British Empire

Good to see this coming out in HD. Warner Archive have been working on it since 2015 but have had trouble finding decent elements to work with.
Old 02-09-2018, 05:36 PM   #22

Aug 2017
UK

I only just recently bought the DVD edition from 88 Films last year when it was going for £5, so now it will be going up on ebay already (not even watched it yet).

Just hope they don't screw this one up like they did with Toolbox Murders.
Old 02-09-2018, 07:22 PM   #23
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2012
WI, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marv Inc. View Post
Good to see this coming out in HD. Warner Archive have been working on it since 2015 but have had trouble finding decent elements to work with.
Yeah, that's kind of what I'm afraid of. Is this something Warner was aware of but dismissed cause they didn't think it was good enough quality to release? WAC's got a generally very high standard, but they have some more "normal" releases like The Hidden, so this might not bode well.

Still, if the DVD was an upconvert, then it should be worth it if it's their usual 8.99 or whatever. We'll hope it's more along the lines of V2 Anthropophagus than V1
Old 02-09-2018, 08:52 PM   #24

Feb 2016

Has 88 Films given a reason why no special features (interviews with Sole, commentary etc) are being included on this release? This is a landmark disc for many who have been waiting for it for years and it is surprising they haven't included anything of note for fans. Sole still works as a Production Designer and is relatively accessible I believe for interviews and to discuss the project.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:19 PM   #25
Special Member

Nov 2012

Nice!
Old 02-10-2018, 12:19 AM   #26

Aug 2017
UK

I've never seen the film before but just viewed the Restoration Demo video on their website, I do hope that the clips shown didn't just reveal who the killer is to me?
First at the 1 minute mark and then again at about 4:38.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:12 AM   #27
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea74 View Post
I've never seen the film before but just viewed the Restoration Demo video on their website, I do hope that the clips shown didn't just reveal who the killer is to me?
Spoilers, obviously:

[Show spoiler]It basically spoiled the entire film in the very first clip. Someone didn't put on their thinking cap before waltzing into the office that day.
If God exists, why isn't Mo'Nique one of the new Ghostbusters?
Thanks given by:
Lea74 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 03:05 AM   #28

Aug 2017
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Spoilers, obviously:

[Show spoiler]It basically spoiled the entire film in the very first clip. Someone didn't put on their thinking cap before waltzing into the office that day.
Great job 88 Films

I ordered it anyway. Used all my skull points, so only cost me £2.99 for the postage.
Old 02-10-2018, 09:37 AM   #29

Jun 2016

I can’t wait for this!!! I just preordered it directly through 88 films (first time ordering from them) so I’d get it super early. I also love knowing that I’m getting a slipcover with it this will be my second 88 films purchase and I love what they did with return to horror high so this should be a good one. This is one great movie and that girl that plays Alice is so spooky. Loved her role in liquid sky too.

Last edited by JezelleGHartman; 02-10-2018 at 11:58 AM.
Thanks given by:
88 Films Official (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 10:06 AM   #30

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by tardif View Post
Has 88 Films given a reason why no special features (interviews with Sole, commentary etc) are being included on this release? This is a landmark disc for many who have been waiting for it for years and it is surprising they haven't included anything of note for fans. Sole still works as a Production Designer and is relatively accessible I believe for interviews and to discuss the project.
Someone from 88 posted about extras on their releases in the main 88 Films thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by 88 Films Official View Post
We've tried on numerous occasions to licence extras and we either get told a straight "no" or the asking price is often more than the film licence!

We produce them when we can but as budgets are tight they will often be an interview rather than a documentary and in the case of grizzly and quite a few titles in 2018 we've struggled to find anyone to interview.
For this particular title, I'm assuming the majority of their budget went towards the restoration, or acquiring it. And since they're a UK based label, coordinating new interviews with people located in the States could be complicated. People seem to forget or not realize just how small of an outfit labels like 88 are (not directed towards you, just saying in general.) I'm just happy this is not only being released (a big company like WB didn't even want to bother with it) but it's being released with a new, restored transfer. That itself is a pretty big "special feature" IMO.

Last edited by BurntheParadigm; 02-10-2018 at 10:11 AM.
Thanks given by:
88 Films Official (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:39 AM   #31
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2008
Bristol, UK

Also got this ordered from 88films.
Paying a few quid extra is annoying but getting it early makes it ok.....i think haha
Thanks given by:
JezelleGHartman (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 11:55 AM   #32

Jun 2016

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekromantik View Post
Also got this ordered from 88films.
Paying a few quid extra is annoying but getting it early makes it ok.....i think haha
No it definitely does! Lol
Old 02-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #33

Nov 2009
Croxley, London

Quote:
Originally Posted by dissention View Post
Spoilers, obviously:

I've only seen this film once before, but I often forget who the killer is (seen far too many slashers/gialli to remember them all!) Thanks for reminding me 88 Films 😂 Don't worry, my pre-order still stands!
IF WE WERE RUNNING OUTTA BIBLES YOU SHOULD HAVE TOLD ME WE WERE RUNNING OUTTA BIBLES!
Old 02-10-2018, 02:32 PM   #34
Power Member

Jun 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by BurntheParadigm View Post
For this particular title, I'm assuming the majority of their budget went towards the restoration, or acquiring it. And since they're a UK based label, coordinating new interviews with people located in the States could be complicated. People seem to forget or not realize just how small of an outfit labels like 88 are (not directed towards you, just saying in general.) I'm just happy this is not only being released (a big company like WB didn't even want to bother with it) but it's being released with a new, restored transfer. That itself is a pretty big "special feature" IMO.
This is a completely false and very unfair comment. Warner have been working on an actual restoration of Alice, Sweet Alice for years from the original negative but have ran into problems with the original elements and have been trying to resolve the issues for some time now. They just don't want to use a print as a basis for a complete HD master and are seeking higher quality elements.

88 Films are content using a print for their version which will be heavily compromised, Warner are looking to rebuild and restore the film in the highest quality possible. This isn't a slight on 88 Films as a print may be the best that they can use due to licencing and missing elements but it is what it is.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:35 PM   #35
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

There was an interview with Sole in Rue Morgue magazine in 2016 in which he stated that he had bought back the rights to the film. I'm not sure how that affects the possibility of a US BD, but I'm not expecting anything in the near (or even the distant) future regardless.
Thanks given by:
Mr. Thomsen (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:50 AM   #36
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009
Chichester, UK

I wasn't necessarily expecting new extras but It is disappointing that the old commentary track won't be on this new blu-ray. It was on the prior 88 Films dvd which makes the exclusion seem quite odd.

Edit: And it's also a shame that the restoration featurette contains massive spoilers.
Neil Harrison.

50" Panasonic plasma and 6.1 sound.
Old 02-11-2018, 05:08 AM   #37
Special Member

Sep 2009

Glad i never picked up the DVD now. I couldnt resist Killer Workout/Aerobicide though. I wonder if they will release that on blu now as well?
Old 02-11-2018, 08:43 AM   #38
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2013
Durham, UK

I don't know. Alice, Sweet Alice is one of their most requested BD titles.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:24 PM   #39
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lea74 View Post
I don't remember the Anchor Bay DVD looking as washed out as it does in that demo. Was the contrast boosted for comparison purposes?

I'm not too concerned about lack of extras on this one. As long as the classic trailers are included I'll be happy. Just curious, how is the film a Warner property? Anchor Bay certainly didn't license the film for their US DVD from them since WB doesn't license (until now, of course). Did Warner purchase the rights?
Old 02-11-2018, 01:49 PM   #40

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCarpenterFan View Post
This is a completely false and very unfair comment. Warner have been working on an actual restoration of Alice, Sweet Alice for years from the original negative but have ran into problems with the original elements and have been trying to resolve the issues for some time now. They just don't want to use a print as a basis for a complete HD master and are seeking higher quality elements.
I should have been more specific, I meant WB apparently didn't want to bother with the kind of film elements that 88 are using, which looks pretty good if you ask me. If they feel they can do better then great, but I'm not going to hold my breath. The point I was trying to make is, 88 has managed to pull off what a big company like WB has not yet.

However, do you have sources to back up what you're claiming? That they've been working on a restoration from the negative? Because all I could find are some vague Facebook posts and one from 5 years ago stating they have the negative, but nothing about work being done on it. They do mention working with "various film elements". And it seems now the whole production has been halted indefinitely.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > United Kingdom and Ireland