Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Return of the Living Dead Part II (Blu-ray)
$25.70

Sicario (Blu-ray)
$4.00

DC's Legends of Tomorrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Supergirl: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99

Home from the Hill (Blu-ray)
$13.99

Pacific Rim: Uprising (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Ash vs Evil Dead: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sicario: Day of the Soldado (Blu-ray)
$26.34
9 hrs ago
Blockers (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Tag (Blu-ray)
$22.99

Arrow: The Complete Fifth Season (Blu-ray)
$12.99
23 hrs ago
Truth or Dare (Blu-ray)
$11.99

What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-09-2018, 10:20 PM   #1501

Jun 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke4711 View Post
A lot of people don't realize it, but Planet of the Apes paved the way for a lot of what we take for granted nowadays. It was really the first film ever to have a direct sequel.
Not by a long shot, actually. Fall of a Nation (1916) has often been cited as the first sequel. The earliest sequel that I am personally familiar with is Bride of Frankenstein (1935).
Thanks given by:
Deadguy2322 (02-11-2018), petrified-eye (02-12-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:04 PM   #1502
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
Not by a long shot, actually. Fall of a Nation (1916) has often been cited as the first sequel. The earliest sequel that I am personally familiar with is Bride of Frankenstein (1935).
The difference is Planet of the Apes has the 5 Films followed by TV series and then animated series
Planet of the Apes the success of Apes merchandise sales inspired the later films franchises with film studios that has become commonplace for films and television series now

All of this was before Star Wars and even more surprising is that Fox gave George Lucas the merchandising rights even though they already seen the success of merchandising products sales that was achieved with planet of the apes a fox film series
George Lucas made huge amount of money just from the merchandising rights and paid the way for his success with lucas films

Universal Horror films from the 30's to 50's was the first film studio franchise of films but that did not have the modern day merchandise products tie in at the time that came later after planet of the apes

Last edited by paulboland; 02-09-2018 at 11:36 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:15 PM   #1503
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by duke4711 View Post
That does sound cool. Have you watched it yet? Since I already have the previous set, the one which comes with the hardbound book, I'm not going to buy it again on disc, but I might try to find a UV code for it. If anyone has one that they want to sell, PM me.
It's not anything special it's just a few clips from the film series in chronological order

I purchased it just for the slipcover
Old 02-10-2018, 02:57 PM   #1504
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulboland View Post
The difference is Planet of the Apes has the 5 Films followed by TV series and then animated series
Planet of the Apes the success of Apes merchandise sales inspired the later films franchises with film studios that has become commonplace for films and television series now

All of this was before Star Wars and even more surprising is that Fox gave George Lucas the merchandising rights even though they already seen the success of merchandising products sales that was achieved with planet of the apes a fox film series
George Lucas made huge amount of money just from the merchandising rights and paid the way for his success with lucas films

Universal Horror films from the 30's to 50's was the first film studio franchise of films but that did not have the modern day merchandise products tie in at the time that came later after planet of the apes
There's a lot of myth concerning this. I'll try to clear it up. If you're talking only about Science Fiction film franchises, then Planet of the Apes is significant in terms of launching a merchandising campaign, though there was little in the way of merchandising until after the five-film series concluded and the first three films were shown on TV in late 1973 and got huge ratings and a TV series went into development in '74.

But let's not forget that years before Planet of the Apes premiered in 1968, the James Bond films (kind of Science Fiction in many aspects) had very healthy merchandising, as did several TV shows from Davey Crockett to The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Also, I'm not sure the Planet of the Apes merchandising in '74 was all that successful in terms of sales. The TV series was cancelled after only 14 episodes and little merchandising of Apes appeared after 1974. Just after I got out of high school in 1977, I briefly worked in the stock room of a Toy-R-Us on Long Island and I remember one day the manager of the store saying to someone, "Remember that 'Planet of the Apes' stuff? Boy, we sure had to eat that."

Still, there was a lot produced, as a trip to Ebay will reveal.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:06 PM   #1505
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rory View Post
There's a lot of myth concerning this. I'll try to clear it up. If you're talking only about Science Fiction film franchises, then Planet of the Apes is significant in terms of launching a merchandising campaign, though there was little in the way of merchandising until after the five-film series concluded and the first three films were shown on TV in late 1973 and got huge ratings and a TV series went into development in '74.

But let's not forget that years before Planet of the Apes premiered in 1968, the James Bond films (kind of Science Fiction in many aspects) had very healthy merchandising, as did several TV shows from Davey Crockett to The Man From U.N.C.L.E.

Also, I'm not sure the Planet of the Apes merchandising in '74 was all that successful in terms of sales. The TV series was cancelled after only 14 episodes and little merchandising of Apes appeared after 1974. Just after I got out of high school in 1977, I briefly worked in the stock room of a Toy-R-Us on Long Island and I remember one day the manager of the store saying to someone, "Remember that 'Planet of the Apes' stuff? Boy, we sure had to eat that."

Still, there was a lot produced, as a trip to Ebay will reveal.
The main merchandize launch your correct was when the first 3 of the films was show back to back on TV by CBS in 1973 just after battle for planet of the apes had finished it's cinema run this was followed by fox launching all five Apes films in back-to-back "Go Ape!" film marathons in movie theatres and then the TV series.

This is how I first seen all 5 Films myself back in 1974 or 1975 in my local school cinema each friday in Ireland
The School cinema was also the local cinema for general public on Saturdays.

Sales was very profitable for a lot of companies that got the rights to sell merchandize and continued long after the TV series got cancelled
The list of planet of the apes merchandising products made in the 70's was extensive and really a first at the time compared to other films merchandising items available at that time.
Star Wars in 1977 and later years was the next film that had a similar launch of merchandize items made available in comparison

http://planetoftheapes.wikia.com/wiki/Merchandise

Chapter 6
https://books.google.ie/books?id=OUZ...page&q&f=false

https://ericrobertnolan.wordpress.co...s-merchandise/

http://www.denofgeek.com/books-comic...-legend-review

Last edited by paulboland; 02-10-2018 at 03:51 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #1506
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Just to point out something this gets wrong right off the bat.

The Topps 'Planet of the Apes' bubblegum card set was 44 cards, not 66. This was because of the licensing fee that had to be paid for Charlton Heston's image, and it limited his appearance to only 11 cards in the set. Also, according to a recent book on the subject (https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-O.../dp/1419726137) the card set did not sell that well. I can confirm this since I lived through it (just shy of nine when PLANET opened in '68) and I collected these cards. Originally they sold in packs of five cards with a stick of gum for five cents, but Topps had so many unsold that eventually, they sold them in packs of ten in a clear wrapper with no gum. I ended up buying over three hundred cards that I still have to this day.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:00 PM   #1507
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
Just to point out something this gets wrong right off the bat.

The Topps 'Planet of the Apes' bubblegum card set was 44 cards, not 66. This was because of the licensing fee that had to be paid for Charlton Heston's image, and it limited his appearance to only 11 cards in the set. Also, according to a recent book on the subject (https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Apes-O.../dp/1419726137) the card set did not sell that well. I can confirm this since I lived through it (just shy of nine when PLANET opened in '68) and I collected these cards. Originally they sold in packs of five cards with a stick of gum for five cents, but Topps had so many unsold that eventually, they sold them in packs of ten in a clear wrapper with no gum. I ended up buying over three hundred cards that I still have to this day.
I'm not talking about the bubblegun cards or the Jerry Goldsmith soundtrack that was made available in 1968

The main merchandising launch happened when the first 3 films was shown on TV by CBS and then with fox launching all five Apes films in back-to-back "Go Ape!" film marathons in movie theatres in 1974 and then during the Live action TV series and the return to planet of the apes animated series

No film franchise had the same amount merchandising products in comparison at that time until later with Star Wars in 1977

Last edited by paulboland; 02-10-2018 at 04:26 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 04:26 PM   #1508
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
No film franchise had the same amount merchandising products in comparison at that time until later with Star Wars in 1977
You're engaging in the kind of mythmaking I'm talking about. Let's not forget that PLANET OF THE APES was produced by Arthur P. Jacobs who earlier had produced DOCTOR DOLITTLE in 1967 that had a merchandising campaign that was one of the biggest ever launched -- and one of the biggest that ever bombed! Its failure is why there was little in the way of merchandising for PLANET in '68 or any of the later sequels. I'm not disputing that there was a large licensing of APES related items in '74, just that there wasn't anywhere near the $100 Million in sales that the one book states in those links you posted. That's just plain hype and why these myths get started.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:12 PM   #1509
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
You're engaging in the kind of mythmaking I'm talking about. Let's not forget that PLANET OF THE APES was produced by Arthur P. Jacobs who earlier had produced DOCTOR DOLITTLE in 1967 that had a merchandising campaign that was one of the biggest ever launched -- and one of the biggest that ever bombed! Its failure is why there was little in the way of merchandising for PLANET in '68 or any of the later sequels. I'm not disputing that there was a large licensing of APES related items in '74, just that there wasn't anywhere near the $100 Million in sales that the one book states in those links you posted. That's just plain hype and why these myths get started.
Doctor Dolittle 1967 merchandising is iverelent to planet of the apes during the 70's as one was a flop the other wasn't

Yes Doctor Dolittle attempts at tie-in merchandising failed miserably and yes it had a lot of merchandising products but these did not sell well so it's insignificant in comparison to Planet of the Apes merchandising as that was a success.

Forget about what happened in 1968 when Planet of the Apes first was launched your fixated on that LOL.

We are taking about from 1973/1974 not 1968
Planet of the apes had massive success with merchandising from 1974 and it was not until Star Wars in 1977 that this went even to a bigger scale in both number of products made and profits made.
Old 02-11-2018, 04:35 AM   #1510

Jun 2013

Quote:
I'm not sure what all of this "difference" has to do with your claim that I responded to, which was that Planet of the Apes was the first film that had a direct sequel. That claim is nowhere near being correct in any way.
Thanks given by:
Deadguy2322 (02-11-2018), petrified-eye (02-12-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #1511
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
We are taking about from 1973/1974 not 1968
Planet of the apes had massive success with merchandising from 1974 and it was not until Star Wars in 1977 that this went even to a bigger scale in both number of products made and profits made.
There is no hard evidence of what a "massive success" the merchandising of Planet of the Apes was in that period -- a period I lived through. Yes, there was a lot of licensed items, but I remember this stuff sitting on store shelves a long time and getting discounted to try and move it, and I heard the story of how it wasn't exactly all that huge from a Toy-R-Us manager. The fact that the majority of the merchandising happened during a very short period in late '74 and early '75 bares that out. If it had been as "huge" as some like to claim today it would have gone on longer.

The contention that Planet of the Apes was "the Star Wars of its day" is just hyperbole. The original movie was something I was crazy about (it's still my favorite film) and I was as much of or even more of a POTA geek as any other kid in those years, but it was not the phenomenon that Star Wars was a few years later. POTA has always been a minor cult. It's nice that other nostalgic fans want to pretend that it was more important than it was, but I was there and I'm just keeping it real. It was popular and a lot of people were into it, but most weren't, and when Star Wars hit in 1977, POTA soon became long forgotten, and it really wasn't until the 30th anniversary in 1998 that nostalgic interest in Planet of the Apes became reawakened.

Look at the modern POTA franchise. Is there a huge amount of merchandising out there now? There isn't. Planet of the Apes is just not the kind of crazy popular thing that Star Wars or Star Trek are, and I'm actually fine with that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMR View Post
I'm not sure what all of this "difference" has to do with your claim that I responded to, which was that Planet of the Apes was the first film that had a direct sequel. That claim is nowhere near being correct in any way.
No, it's not. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN was just as close to a direct sequel as 1970's BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and that was way back in 1935. THE ROBE also had a direct sequel with DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS in 1954. And, both those movies recapped the conclusions of the previous film at their beginnings just like BENEATH did.

There was very little original about BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES. In fact, in a lot of ways the movie is almost a remake of WORLD WITHOUT END -- except for the end.

Last edited by Rory; 02-11-2018 at 01:33 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:25 PM   #1512
Expert Member

Nov 2010
Navan/Ireland

Quote:
There is no hard evidence of what a "massive success" the merchandising of Planet of the Apes was in that period -- a period I lived through. Yes, there was a lot of licensed items, but I remember this stuff sitting on store shelves a long time and getting discounted to try and move it, and I heard the story of how it wasn't exactly all that huge from a Toy-R-Us manager. The fact that the majority of the merchandising happened during a very short period in late '74 and early '75 bares that out. If it had been as "huge" as some like to claim today it would have gone on longer.

The contention that Planet of the Apes was "the Star Wars of its day" is just hyperbole. The original movie was something I was crazy about (it's still my favorite film) and I was as much of or even more of a POTA geek as any other kid in those years, but it was not the phenomenon that Star Wars was a few years later. POTA has always been a minor cult. It's nice that other nostalgic fans want to pretend that it was more important than it was, but I was there and I'm just keeping it real. It was popular and a lot of people were into it, but most weren't, and when Star Wars hit in 1977, POTA soon became long forgotten, and it really wasn't until the 30th anniversary in 1998 that nostalgic interest in Planet of the Apes became reawakened.

Look at the modern POTA franchise. Is there a huge amount of merchandising out there now? There isn't. Planet of the Apes is just not the kind of crazy popular thing that Star Wars or Star Trek are, and I'm actually fine with that.

No, it's not. BRIDE OF FRANKENSTEIN was just as close to a direct sequel as 1970's BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES and that was way back in 1935. THE ROBE also had a direct sequel with DEMETRIUS AND THE GLADIATORS in 1954. And, both those movies recapped the conclusions of the previous film at their beginnings just like BENEATH did.

There was very little original about BENEATH THE PLANET OF THE APES. In fact, in a lot of ways the movie is almost a remake of WORLD WITHOUT END -- except for the end.
Planet of the apes merchandize was sold worldwide not just in USA
USA was only one of many other countries that sold the planet of the apes merchandize from 1974-1977 it's peak period been 1974 to 1976
I'm not from USA and when I was a kid back in the 70's I had a lot of the planet of the apes toys as did a lot of other kids outside USA.

UK The TV series was even more popular than it was in USA
UK was originally broadcast October 1974 to January 1975 with repeated showings on UK region TV stations from September 1975-1978 and even had more repeated broadcasts in later years
UK and Europe had a lot of products to purchase and Marvel UK had planet of the apes comics and annuals that sold very well and also the other merchandize products

You also had the Return to the Planet of the Apes Animated series broadcast on UK TV in 1976 and other countries TV services as well as the Films getting TV broadcast

What happened with Toy-R-Us is USA only there are other retailers in other countries that sold planet of the apes merchandize

There is a large population of TV and Film Viewers and customers who purchase TV and Film merchandize outside USA just in case you forgot this

Last edited by paulboland; 02-11-2018 at 09:02 PM.
Old 02-11-2018, 08:35 PM   #1513
Banned

Jan 2018

It was the availability of the complete 5 film series along with the weekly tv series that shot the Apes merchandising into the stratosphere.
Marvel launched their comics in the UK and US and for a US import let alone a sci fi one a fully Networked screening on ITV across the whole country was a rarity.
The ITV repeats were usually saturday mornings though
Thanks given by:
paulboland (02-11-2018)
Old 02-11-2018, 09:59 PM   #1514
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2010

The other day I almost posted about the fact that the ambitious merchandizing blitz, frequently cited as a testament to the franchiseís staying power, was a dud. The failure of all things Apes doesnít really fit the official narrative but itís apparent under the faintest scrutiny. Both TV shows were failures. The comics were done by 1977. Mego never followed up either of their toy lines (movie and TV) with additional product, the TV line leaning pretty heavily on reuse from the movie line to begin with.

20th Century Fox certainly wanted to make Planet of the Apes a huge moneymaker after buying the rights from APJAC but they failed, and the fact that the series was almost completely dormant between 1977 and 1998 (the year of the Behind the... doc and the THX releases) says it all. For the better part of two decades an Apes fan would have had little more than a crappy early-90s licensed comic book to look forward to, the kind of comic assignment that no creator wanted and elicited an eye-roll from the Comic Book Guy who rang them up.

I love the series. I love its successes and I love its failures. Most Planet of the Apes merchandise fails. NECA and Sideshow in particular tried to make action figure lines with deep, fan-pleasing selections and couldnít make them work. The demand isnít there. To an Apes fan the franchise is top-tier, up there with Star Wars and 007. The enthusiasm is there, itís just there in a smaller amount of people than it seems.
Old 02-11-2018, 10:33 PM   #1515
Special Member

Sep 2012

Successful or not, and it seems not, what Apes merchandise did you older guys have back in the 70's?

I had a couple of the Mego figures, the board game that had a cardboard human prison in the center, collected every issue of the magazine and the comic book, plus that white plastic mug shown in one of those links, a couple of jigsaw puzzles that came in a can, and the red circular metal trashcan. That's all I recall owning.

I saw all the films in the theater (outside of Conquest) and remember when the films premiered on tv and it was a network event, and then later watching the tv show every Friday night and even at 13 years old, I knew it wasn't very good (I actually like it a bit more now) so it was no surprise it was cancelled after one short season. I had appendicitis the Friday evening that the episode with the shark aired. I was waiting for the ambulance at a friend's house, and although in severe pain, we were all laughing at how dumb that sequence was.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:50 AM   #1516
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2010
Mississippi

When it comes to direct sequels: King Kong (1933) spawned a direct sequel 'Son of Kong' (1933) in the same year as the original. This was even BEFORE Bride of Frankenstein (1935).
Old 02-12-2018, 03:24 AM   #1517
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

I had several of the Mego ation figures. I might have had some other Apes related merchandise like t-shirts or Halloween costumes. It has been a long time now. I know that I watched the television show. Saw all the movies on television and perhaps at the theater too.

I always thought that the Apes were a big deal and I always remember them being popular. Grew up in a small town and Apes merchandise was always available whether it was toys or whatever. But, I have no ideas regarding sales numbers.
Old 02-12-2018, 03:39 AM   #1518
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuruAskew View Post
The other day I almost posted about the fact that the ambitious merchandizing blitz, frequently cited as a testament to the franchise’s staying power, was a dud. The failure of all things Apes doesn’t really fit the official narrative but it’s apparent under the faintest scrutiny. Both TV shows were failures. The comics were done by 1977. Mego never followed up either of their toy lines (movie and TV) with additional product, the TV line leaning pretty heavily on reuse from the movie line to begin with.

20th Century Fox certainly wanted to make Planet of the Apes a huge moneymaker after buying the rights from APJAC but they failed, and the fact that the series was almost completely dormant between 1977 and 1998 (the year of the Behind the... doc and the THX releases) says it all. For the better part of two decades an Apes fan would have had little more than a crappy early-90s licensed comic book to look forward to, the kind of comic assignment that no creator wanted and elicited an eye-roll from the Comic Book Guy who rang them up.

I love the series. I love its successes and I love its failures. Most Planet of the Apes merchandise fails. NECA and Sideshow in particular tried to make action figure lines with deep, fan-pleasing selections and couldn’t make them work. The demand isn’t there. To an Apes fan the franchise is top-tier, up there with Star Wars and 007. The enthusiasm is there, it’s just there in a smaller amount of people than it seems.
Finally, somebody honest about it -- at least what the situation was in the US. I know that in some other countries POTA was more popular, especially the TV series in the UK. But it's just a fact that POTA didn't really "pave the way for Star Wars." That's just myth. There's a good logical answer as to why Lucas was able to so easily talk Fox into giving him the merchandising rights on Star Wars -- because the studio thought that stuff was crap, and Fox at that time wasn't even the same studio it was a decade earlier. An all new regime was in power then. Whatever revenue the studio saw from the licensing of APES...

I have no hard evidence to support it, but I'd be surprised if it totaled more than in the few hundred thousand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneWayFilms View Post
When it comes to direct sequels: King Kong (1933) spawned a direct sequel 'Son of Kong' (1933) in the same year as the original. This was even BEFORE Bride of Frankenstein (1935).
How the hell could I forget that?!!!

Oh, speaking of the 1930's and film-related merchandizing... if you really want to know the trailblazers in that, look into what Disney did with Mickey Mouse, and what there was for Tarzan, and let's not forget Shirley Temple.

Last edited by Rory; 02-12-2018 at 03:43 AM.
Thanks given by:
OneWayFilms (02-12-2018)
Old 02-12-2018, 04:41 AM   #1519
Blu-ray Samurai

Aug 2011

Anybody pick up this one last week? Is it a new package or just a new slipcover?
Old 02-12-2018, 06:58 AM   #1520
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2013
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jar Jar Stinks View Post

Anybody pick up this one last week? Is it a new package or just a new slipcover?

I saw that at my local Best Buy and thought about getting it just for the slip. But, no! I think the word is that it is just the same old master with a pretty new cover. There was no advertising on the package saying it was a new master or anything like that, not that I saw. I would love to be wrong about that, though. But, pretty shoddy treatment for a 50th anniversary release of one of the best sci-fi films of all time!
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America