Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Misery (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Grave of the Fireflies (Blu-ray)
$11.76
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$5.00
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 02-09-2018, 09:08 PM   #421

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardback247 View Post
Again it's the turd vs polished turd compared to good storytelling. The ST is not good storytelling. In some ways neither was the PT but at least the PT wasn't a modified repetition of the OT that turned into absurdity.
Thanks given by:
JAL4U2C (02-14-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #422

Apr 2014
United States

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobicsquirrel View Post
Again it's the turd vs polished turd compared to good storytelling. The ST is not good storytelling. In some ways neither was the PT but at least the PT wasn't a modified repetition of the OT that turned into absurdity.
You're clearly still planning on buying this film if you're posting here.
Thanks given by:
Hardback247 (02-09-2018), myway (02-12-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:29 PM   #423

Sep 2011
Northern CA

I think the idea that Vader was Luke's father was suggested back in Lucas's early 3rd draft from Star Wars in 1975.

Luke knew his father as a boy. His father had been trained under Obi Wan who also tells Luke that one of his pupils was Darth Vader, who had turned to the dark side.

Later during the space fight when Vader is going after Luke he says that he senses that he knows Luke.

Like many creative processes, I suspect the idea was toyed with, but not set in stone until later in 78.
Thanks given by:
Rui (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:39 PM   #424
Special Member

May 2010
denver, co

Quote:
Originally Posted by grodd View Post
I think the idea that Vader was Luke's father was suggested back in Lucas's early 3rd draft from Star Wars in 1975.

Luke knew his father as a boy. His father had been trained under Obi Wan who also tells Luke that one of his pupils was Darth Vader, who had turned to the dark side.

Later during the space fight when Vader is going after Luke he says that he senses that he knows Luke.

Like many creative processes, I suspect the idea was toyed with, but not set in stone until later in 78.
I know in one version it was revealed that Obi Wan killed his father, which would have ended up being more accurate.

In the actual film it is never said that Luke knew his father that well but one could easily make that argument from ANH.

We now know he never met his father obviously.
May the force be with you...

My Current top 10 films: 1: City of God/ 2: 2001 a Space Odyssey/ 3: Pulp Fiction/ 4: Persona/ 5: Seven Samurai/ 6: Apocalypse Now/ 7: Taxi Driver/ 8: the Master/ 9: Breaking the Waves/ 10: Tree of Life
Old 02-09-2018, 10:15 PM   #425

Jan 2011
New Line Cinema

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeangreyforever View Post
You're clearly still planning on buying this film if you're posting here.
Lol...
Old 02-09-2018, 10:25 PM   #426
Special Member

May 2010
denver, co

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobicsquirrel View Post
Lol...
Hey I am in the same boat just not as Hot and COld... I have talked plenty of crap about the movie but am still buying it... lol

COllectors shame. I cannot have a gap like that in my collection especially from one of my all time favorite sagas.
May the force be with you...

My Current top 10 films: 1: City of God/ 2: 2001 a Space Odyssey/ 3: Pulp Fiction/ 4: Persona/ 5: Seven Samurai/ 6: Apocalypse Now/ 7: Taxi Driver/ 8: the Master/ 9: Breaking the Waves/ 10: Tree of Life
Thanks given by:
Rui (02-11-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:07 PM   #427

Jan 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by manunited1 View Post
Hey I am in the same boat just not as Hot and COld... I have talked plenty of crap about the movie but am still buying it... lol

COllectors shame. I cannot have a gap like that in my collection especially from one of my all time favorite sagas.
It is a tough one....
Old 02-09-2018, 11:22 PM   #428
Blu-ray Knight

Oct 2010
Netherlands

Thanks given by:
Comicfan (02-10-2018), JG-havkroll (02-10-2018), Nailwraps (02-09-2018), steev210 (02-10-2018), svenge (02-09-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:24 AM   #429
Special Member

Jul 2012

Quote:
The Nazi Party rose out of the ashes of the German Empire, didn't it? Did that reset everything the soldiers in World War I accomplished?
Nice. Way to use actual historical precedent. In History classes (did it to Senioir and 1 year at Uni), we are told that one of the reasons for WWII is WWI.

Snoke wouldn’t have been shit if it wasn’t for the broken Imperial’s taking off, regrouping and coming back even stronger, under his charisma/leadership.

While Snoke’s origin remains a mystery (we know he is someone who rebuilt a Fascist empire...), we know from the carnage on Jakku, not everyone in the Empire cut and ran. It makes sense that battles would have continued after the destruction of DSII (the Imperial Navy still existed), as the rebellion mopped up what was left, presumably with more systems coming to assist their cause.
At some point, after a few battles, what was left of the Navy (and the breakaway groups that formed), would have surrendered to the New Republic. Ships scuttled etc., but the Death Star, a weapon that kept the systems in line, was now gone (and a major part of the Navy with it). After ANH, only the DS was destroyed. The Navy was still a Force to be reckoned with.

AND finally, as my own theory, perhaps Snoke was the force answer to Luke, balancing the scales. As Snoke points out in TLJ, Rey came from nowhere and was theirn to balance out the Force. As Ben was a young man aleady showing Dark Side tendencies, Rey was conceived (naturally), but with a gift, utilising the Force whose experiences would lead her to use her powers for light, not darkness.

For an obscure analogy to our world, Rey is akin to when a prodigy in sport/music rises from “relative” obscurity. Formula One greats like Fangio, Senna, Schumacher, Vettel and Hamilton, who don’t have racing heritage... And Ben Solo is akin to Nico Rosberg (whose Father was also a world champion).
Hendrix, Cobain, Morrison et al.
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Thanks given by:
Hardback247 (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 04:53 AM   #430
Blu-ray Samurai

Nov 2009
Washington State

Quote:
Is that sarcasm, or are you complimenting me? It's hard for me to tell.
I'm pretty sure that it's an actual compliment, as the aftermath of WW1 (how the armistice went down, the Versaille Treaty's terms, hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic era) were indeed more or less the factors that led to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany and thus WW2.
Forget The Evil Dead; what George Lucas has done to Star Wars since 1997 is truly "The Ultimate Experience in Grueling Terror".

Last edited by svenge; 02-10-2018 at 07:46 AM.
Thanks given by:
Hardback247 (02-10-2018), Rick Grimes (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:37 AM   #431

Jan 2012
Idaho

Will this have the shifting aspect ratios or will be just the standard 2.39:1 AR?
Old 02-10-2018, 07:40 AM   #432
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs31 View Post
Will this have the shifting aspect ratios or will be just the standard 2.39:1 AR?
We will all bet money on no shifting aspect ratios. Unless some sort of import.
most wanted blus: the Legend of 1900, Brotherhood of the Wolf, Sheena Queen of the Jungle, Farinelli, any Phish, the Last Castle, Clan of the Cavebear, Silver Bullet, Beastmaster, Sword and the Sorcerer. Samsung pn51f8500 plasma active 3d, Vizio 42" LCD passive 3d, Panasonic bdt310, PS3 slim 60 gb, Denon AVR 590, Polk Audio rm6750, Sennhieser hd 280 pro.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:28 AM   #433
Special Member

Jul 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by svenge View Post
I'm pretty sure that it's an actual compliment, as the aftermath of WW1 (how the armistice went down, the Versaille Treaty's terms, hyperinflation in the Weimar Republic era) were indeed more or less the factors that led to the rise of the Nazi party in Germany and thus WW2.
Definitely a complement. And going further with the notion, it seems the New Republic also did a poor job with ”appeasement”. Germany was not supposed to militarise, yet the League of Nations (first crack at a UN), allowed the Nazi’s to do so.

Similar to the the New Republic in TFA, somehow turning a blind eye to the First Order’s militarism, despite the resistances pleas to watch out.
And it seems that the point of Canto Bight was to show that many profited and would have welcomed the First Order... As did the US with many Nazi sympathisers (Walt Disney being one of them). In fact, Hitler had ordered hundreds of tanks to be built in Detroit. Once the US entered WWII (Pearl Harbour Dec 7, ‘41) 2 years after the start of the war (1st-3rd Sept ‘39: Germany’s invasion of Poland), Hitler remarked, words to the effect “I will pick up my tanks when my army reaches Detroit, when I move across the US, as I take it over”.

Will look forward to TLJ on BD... It has it’s flaws, but overall was pretty damn good (90% of critics can’t be wrong).
Will watch Solo preview this weekend... More worried about how that might come across the critics and fan base alike.
Give me Blu-Ray or give me death.

Streaming sucks!

Respect the filmmakers intentions; Respect the the OAR
Old 02-10-2018, 10:30 AM   #434
Blu-ray Guru

Aug 2007
Netherlands

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogs31 View Post
No shifting aspect ratios. The IMAX release was presented completely in 2.39:1 as well.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:02 AM   #435

Jun 2010
Greece
Greece

https://www.zavvi.com/blu-ray/star-w...dget_id=891887

I have pre-ordered this edition. Did a quick look up in the pages here, didn't see it, so I though it would be nice to mention it.

Last edited by Many; 02-10-2018 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-10-2018, 11:37 AM   #436

Jun 2013
Sydney, Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Grimes View Post
Will watch Solo preview this weekend... More worried about how that might come across the critics and fan base alike.
There's a new Solo preview coming out this weekend?
Old 02-10-2018, 04:32 PM   #437
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by starr View Post
JJ laid out everything that needed to be told in this movie, he left mystery and he left backgrounds untold that could have been woven into this movie's plot. but no, he just kills off Snoke, Rey is a nobody, the force is available to anyone. I'd happily take microchloridians over this crap.
Whatever 'the force is available to anyone' is supposed to mean, TLJ breaks no new ground in this area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phobicsquirrel
JJ says "he has not met her but has heard of her" When that scene happens I am pretty sure.
He's heard of her junk-trading acumen, I assume? Her legendary prowess in the area of hitting people with a stick?
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon

Last edited by Arawn; 02-10-2018 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:20 PM   #438
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011

If there are any faults to TLJ (there aren't, sorry), it starts with The Force Awakens which while a good blockbuster has really hard faults with it's script which feels more like a first draft with various ideas thrown at the wall trying to stick and see what works. While it does work, it isn't perfect, and Abrams left a lot of half baked ideas for others to pick up rather than lay out any actual plans to follow through the course of the trilogy.

It's your right to not like it, but that doesn't mean your opinions have any validity. If you aren't a student of filmmaking, it's hard to take your fan boy opinion seriously. And to be frank, 97% of the people on here I'd say only WATCH movies but they don't take the medium seriously when it comes to theme and the technical aesthetic, which along with acting and writing, The Last Jedi is superior than the six films that preceded it.

BACK TO ACTUAL BLU-RAY RELEASE DISCUSSION:

Where the **** is this Walmart cover art so I can make my decision and preorder?
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Living Room
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB / Sony PlayStation 4 500GB
Onkyo HT-S3700
Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 PM   #439
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2012
NJ

Release date confirmed??

Old 02-10-2018, 06:40 PM   #440
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post
The Last Jedi is superior than the six films that preceded it.
Six? There were nine previous films, eight if you only count live-action.
MHOR CHN LCHT RRD. GU BIDNNG SHN FEHD RO FHUAR. GD J'DI CRRN SA TU NAF EUN OA. - Thon
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
jedi, star, wars