Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Misery (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Post (Blu-ray)
$19.99
NFL Super Bowl 52 Champions (Blu-ray)
$19.99
10 Things I Hate About You (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Doctor Who: The Complete Peter Capaldi Years (Blu-ray)
$79.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Popstar: Never Stop Never Stopping (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Warcraft (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Homeland: The Complete Sixth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$29.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors

Old 02-09-2018, 12:53 PM   #9321
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

Cover art/info on the March releases:

[Show spoiler]

Quote:
Star Time
(Blu-ray & DVD w/ Limited Slipcover)
On Blu, we have a trio of releases that cover the last three decades in which worthwhile weirdo cinema was created, the 1970s, 80s, and 90s. Yes, the 90s mostly sucks, but buried between the countless piece of direct-to-video garbage are some truly mind blowing off-beat indies, such as Blu-ray #1, Alex Cassini's 1991 film STAR TIME, a truly one of a kind mash up of David Lynch (or Michael Snow) esque art-house surrealism/social commentary, sleazy character drama, slasher trappings, and a surprising amount of well done gore effects. Our release also serves as the home video debut of the original director's cut

Quote:
Babyface II
(Blu-ray & DVD)
Working backwards in decades to the 80s, after much demand we've FINALLY restored Alex deRenzy's BABYFACE II. While it [almost] lacks the cling wrap wielding heroine of the original, it more than makes up for it with drunk Jamie Gillis popping out of a cake to work magic spells on Lois Ayers, Kristara Barrington, and Stacey Donovan.

Quote:
Welcome Home Brother Charles / Emma Mae
(Blu-ray & DVD)
Finally, moving to the greatest decade in the history of time, the 70s, we present the last of our Jamaa Fanaka Blus with a double feature of his first two features, the notoriously depraved WELCOME HOME BROTHER CHARLES (known to some in VHS land as 'Soul Vengeance') and the gritty slice-of-life drama, EMMA MAE, both preserved from their negatives

Quote:
Confessions of a Teenage Peanut Butter Freak
Women at Play / Good Girls Bad Girls
(DVD)
Then, on DVD, a duo of mid 80s NYC sex film rarities, WOMEN AT PLAY + GOOD GIRLS BAD GIRLS and then the DVD debut of what is probably the best titled film in hardcore movie history, CONFESSIONS OF A TEENAGE PEANUT BUTTER FREAK; a truly crucial piece of SF made underground cinema, which we're meticulously restored to its director's cut
Thanks given by:
s7e (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 12:59 PM   #9322

Oct 2011

Star Time!!

Absolutely pumped for this one. Great announcement. Can't wait to find out the horror titles for April either.
Old 02-09-2018, 01:48 PM   #9323

Jun 2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelGoodsen View Post
Star Time!!

Absolutely pumped for this one. Great announcement. Can't wait to find out the horror titles for April either.
Same here. Never even heard of Star Time before but it sounds awesome.

Quote:
we present the last of our Jamaa Fanaka Blus
Bummed to hear this. I was really hoping for a miracle to occur and VS somehow made a deal with MGM for Penitentiary III.
Old 02-09-2018, 03:17 PM   #9324
Blu-ray Baron

Aug 2009

I missed these tidbits from the bottom of the newsletter:

Quote:
With February and March out of the way, how about April?

Well, this April we're gonna be offering the world Blu-ray debuts of TWO horror films (one 70s, one 80s), one of which will be coming to disc fully uncut for the first time ever! That, plus the Blu-ray debut of a rather significant 70s hardcore feature.

And, for those who missed out the first time around, our standard edition of LIQUID SKY also streets in April. It’s up for preorder now at Amazon.com: https://www.amazon.com/Liquid-Sky-Bl...rds=liquid sky

And, although it's still a few months away, remember that this Memorial Day weekend, our mammoth Halfway to Black Friday sale returns, with two new surprise Blus, both of which are 70s exploitation mind benders...

Come to our first film screening 'Upstairs at The Archive' in Bridgeport, CT!
Coming up on February 24th is a benefit show for our local community radio station WPKN. We are presenting a Blaxploitation triple bill in our newly built ’Upstairs at The Archive‘ event space (directly above our retail store in Bridgeport, CT). We will be showing DOLEMITE, PENITENTIARY & THE MUTHERS, beginning at 3pm.

There will be a suggested donation at the door, with all proceeds going to WPKN. Food and drinks will be available and our retail store will be open extra late. Come and browse our store collection, pickup the latest releases from your favorite cult video labels and hang out with fellow movie buffs while watching DOLEMITE kick ass and take names.

The Archive
118 Congress Street in Bridgeport, CT
Fridays: 11am - 6pm
Saturdays: 11am - 7pm
Sundays: 11am - 6pm
Yelp | Facebook | Instagram @ TheArchiveCT

I wish they'd open a branch of The Archive in MA, I'd be all over that triple-feature!
Old 02-09-2018, 03:44 PM   #9325

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezelleGHartman View Post
1987 for the most part
The shift had started a few years early, around 1984, which was the first year which saw a major uptick in SOV productions along with a major reduction in theatrical features.
1985/86 were the swing years where film features were superseded by SOV/DTV but 1987 was the last year that saw new theatrical releases of 35mm features in the US. However, hardcore movies continued to be released theatrically in Europe through the mid 90s, including a bunch of American productions produced in the early 90s, such as CHAMELEONS, IMAGINE, SPEED TRAP, SOMEONE ELSE, STEAMY WINDOWS, THE BOOK, SIN CITY (Ron Sullivan), etc. These movies and around 40-50 others were all shot and finished on film and had prints made, but only for French, German, Belgian, and Italian markets.
Thanks given by:
JezelleGHartman (02-10-2018), martinb (02-09-2018), reanimator (02-09-2018), Se.Vero (02-09-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 09:41 PM   #9326

Jan 2018

I just got done watching Flesh and bullets on blu and the song in that is so familiar. I know it says music by bullets in the credits but does anyone know the year and title? Or was it created just for the film? Thanks to VS for letting it run past the credits

Last edited by horrorslash80s; 02-09-2018 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-09-2018, 11:05 PM   #9327
Expert Member

Apr 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Lyons View Post
The shift had started a few years early, around 1984, which was the first year which saw a major uptick in SOV productions along with a major reduction in theatrical features.
1985/86 were the swing years where film features were superseded by SOV/DTV but 1987 was the last year that saw new theatrical releases of 35mm features in the US. However, hardcore movies continued to be released theatrically in Europe through the mid 90s, including a bunch of American productions produced in the early 90s, such as CHAMELEONS, IMAGINE, SPEED TRAP, SOMEONE ELSE, STEAMY WINDOWS, THE BOOK, SIN CITY (Ron Sullivan), etc. These movies and around 40-50 others were all shot and finished on film and had prints made, but only for French, German, Belgian, and Italian markets.
Maybe you could start a new range of DVD-only adult titles shot on video?
Thanks given by:
martinb (02-09-2018), Talyn (02-10-2018)
Old 02-09-2018, 11:23 PM   #9328

Jan 2011

Watched penitentiary the other night, never seen it but remember the cover from vhs, and found it okay. The beginning was really poor, like it was close ups on people in cells with some lame hard to make out jive and wrestling. The rest of the film was odd, the main guy had very little fights while the lamo turned I can fight/get knocked out guy took the middle of the film. I loved the silly sex scene in the bathroom with the big titty chicken during the first big boxing match it was so forced. Overall it was okay and silly. Is the 2nd much better? I know mr. T is in it.
Old 02-10-2018, 12:09 AM   #9329

Jun 2016

Quote:
So the ones shot on video... can those be restored in any way? maybe in a set? So many good titles after 87 like The Chameleon, Curse of the Catwoman, night trips, deep throat 3, etc....
Old 02-10-2018, 12:21 AM   #9330

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Anyone actually see Star Time before? I never even heard of it before... will be buying it for sure though, looks right up my alley.

Is pre-ordering direct from VS the only way to get the limited slip cover?
Old 02-10-2018, 02:03 AM   #9331
Blu-ray Samurai

Sep 2011
East of Ale Asylum

Quote:
Originally Posted by barsalou View Post
Anyone actually see Star Time before? I never even heard of it before... will be buying it for sure though, looks right up my alley.

Yes,that is correct.
"I'd buy that for a dollar!" - TV Show Host, Robocop

Vinegar Synonymous - FB Group
Suns and Shadows FB Group
Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #9332
Special Member

Jul 2013

Is it possible that VS will be putting out a U.S. release of Alice, Sweet, Alice?

Not even sure if it is due for release here. Haven't heard anything. I'll wait awhile before I pick up the 88 release to see if someone has it planned
Hey, does that movie come with tampons for your !#$%@?
-Youth in Revolt

My Complete DVD Collection:
http://deadwater513.filmaf.com/?tab=stats

My Criterion Collection
https://www.criterion.com/my_criteri...?sort_by=title
Old 02-10-2018, 03:55 AM   #9333

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talyn View Post
Yes,that is correct.
Cool, thanks!!
Old 02-10-2018, 03:59 AM   #9334

Sep 2016
Indiana

Quote:

It feels like someone threw a David Lynch movie and a David Cronenberg movie in a blender and gave it a low budget. I actually really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Videodrome.
Let us rejoice, and let us sing, and dance, and ring in the new.................Hail Atlantis!

Most Wanted Blu: Man Bites Dog, Beyond Re-Animator, The Changeling, Silent Night, Deadly Night: Initiation, The Devils, The Dentist 1 and 2
Old 02-10-2018, 04:10 AM   #9335

Dec 2017
Mausoleum

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricYuillMovieFan View Post
It feels like someone threw a David Lynch movie and a David Cronenberg movie in a blender and gave it a low budget. I actually really enjoyed it. It reminded me of Videodrome.
Well, now I can’t wait to see this... I was already sold, but you just sealed the deal!!
Old 02-10-2018, 05:23 AM   #9336

May 2014

Quote:
Originally Posted by repulsed View Post
Is it possible that VS will be putting out a U.S. release of Alice, Sweet, Alice?

Not even sure if it is due for release here. Haven't heard anything. I'll wait awhile before I pick up the 88 release to see if someone has it planned
We are not doing it. WB owns it domestically.
Thanks given by:
El_Fez (02-12-2018), repulsed (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 07:22 AM   #9337

Sep 2016
Indiana

Quote:
Well, now I can’t wait to see this... I was already sold, but you just sealed the deal!!
It's a movie where if you're like me and went "that sounds kickass" you will end up liking it.
Let us rejoice, and let us sing, and dance, and ring in the new.................Hail Atlantis!

Most Wanted Blu: Man Bites Dog, Beyond Re-Animator, The Changeling, Silent Night, Deadly Night: Initiation, The Devils, The Dentist 1 and 2
Thanks given by:
barsalou (02-10-2018)
Old 02-10-2018, 09:08 AM   #9338
Special Member

Oct 2010
north star

Looking forward to Welcome Home, Brother Charles, been on the radar for awhile. Not much interest in the others, but maybe I can catch up on some backlog.
Old 02-10-2018, 10:21 AM   #9339
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2012

Quote:
We are not doing it. WB owns it domestically.
Did they purchase the rights? The last domestic DVD was released by Anchor Bay
Old 02-10-2018, 10:59 AM   #9340
Special Member

Jul 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JezelleGHartman View Post
Read my post next time. The entire thing.
I mentioned the 88 release in my post

I knew VS was releasing an 80s title to be announced soon so I thought maybe they'd have it. I'd rather support VS than 88 Films.
Hey, does that movie come with tampons for your !#$%@?
-Youth in Revolt

My Complete DVD Collection:
http://deadwater513.filmaf.com/?tab=stats

My Criterion Collection
https://www.criterion.com/my_criteri...?sort_by=title
Thanks given by:
JezelleGHartman (02-10-2018)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America > Studios and Distributors