Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Sons of Anarchy: Seasons 1-6 (Blu-ray)
$99.99
6 hrs ago
Cosmos: A Spacetime Odyssey (Blu-ray)
$19.99
22 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$9.96

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96
12 hrs ago
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Time Bandits (Blu-ray)
$21.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 04-14-2009, 08:01 PM   #141
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Birmingham, AL

I watched it last week on my 60" Kuro and never noticed any blocking
PSN: DaveS78
Old 04-14-2009, 08:34 PM   #142
Blu-ray Reviewer

Oct 2008
-

Hey all. No worries, 'American History X' isn't littered with the faint blocking that appears in some of the screenshots. Its heavy grain field simply looks that way when loaded to the site and compressed as a JPEG file. Notice the disclaimer at the bottom of every enlarged screenshot:
"Please note that this screenshot is not an actual movie frame, it is only a screenshot captured at 1080p using some special screenshot equipment. The screenshot equipment does not take a perfect frame screenshot and the screenshot can also contain more or less capturing artifacts due to hardware limitations of the screenshot equipment. The screenshot is furthermore compressed using JPEG to improve the loading time. The screenshots should not be used to discuss whether a Blu-ray title features good or bad video quality, the purpose of the screenshots are for entertainment and to give you a general idea of what a title will look like, it's not representative of the true quality that Blu-ray offers."
Hope that helps clarify the situation and any fears the screenshots generated!
Old 04-14-2009, 08:43 PM   #143

Feb 2009
Michigan, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Brown View Post
Hey all. No worries, 'American History X' isn't littered with the faint blocking that appears in some of the screenshots. Its heavy grain field simply looks that way when loaded to the site and compressed as a JPEG file. Notice the disclaimer at the bottom of every enlarged screenshot:
"Please note that this screenshot is not an actual movie frame, it is only a screenshot captured at 1080p using some special screenshot equipment. The screenshot equipment does not take a perfect frame screenshot and the screenshot can also contain more or less capturing artifacts due to hardware limitations of the screenshot equipment. The screenshot is furthermore compressed using JPEG to improve the loading time. The screenshots should not be used to discuss whether a Blu-ray title features good or bad video quality, the purpose of the screenshots are for entertainment and to give you a general idea of what a title will look like, it's not representative of the true quality that Blu-ray offers."
Hope that helps clarify the situation and any fears the screenshots generated!

Ah yes. Thank you for pointing that out. I completely missed that. I see screen shots
And assume that they would be accurate.
Old 04-14-2009, 09:05 PM   #144
Expert Member

Apr 2007

For those of you who are holding out for an eventual special edition release- don't hold your breath! This movie BARELY made it to the theaters and I seriously doubt if the studio is going to put any serious effort in to a reissue on either DVD or Blu-ray. Just be glad its on blu-ray and that its only fifteen bucks!
Old 04-14-2009, 10:52 PM   #145

Nov 2008
Orange County, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulri4651 View Post
For those of you who are holding out for an eventual special edition release- don't hold your breath! This movie BARELY made it to the theaters and I seriously doubt if the studio is going to put any serious effort in to a reissue on either DVD or Blu-ray. Just be glad its on blu-ray and that its only fifteen bucks!
I thought about this and having had the DVD for years and only breaking it out once, I figured waiting a little while longer will be ok.

Heck, I've waited years now for The Game SE. I can wait for anything now.
Heath
Old 04-15-2009, 03:18 AM   #146
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Quote:
Originally Posted by macruz19 View Post
It's $14.99 at Walmart, and BJ's wholesale club.
Picked it up this evening. Thanks for the tip. Have been anticipating this movie on BD.
Old 04-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #147
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carcaridon View Post
Completely agree here. This is one of my favorite movies, but I'll holdout for the eventual SE.
there won't be one.
Old 04-15-2009, 06:20 AM   #148
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by ulri4651 View Post
Exactly.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:48 AM   #149
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Movie companies have triple dipped on movies that suck total A**. I would certainly expect another release of this in another couple years. Especially since it's a very popular movie and highly rated by everyone.
Old 04-15-2009, 07:53 AM   #150
Blu-ray Samurai

Feb 2008
Sacramento

I would have purchased this with the incredible price and all, but I've seen it way too many times recently because it's repeatedly been on Comcast, so it would be pointless for viewing sake.
My Top 250 | Reviews | Last blu-ray watched: Frozen
Old 04-15-2009, 08:03 AM   #151
Blu-ray Guru

Feb 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by YodasFootPowder View Post
Movie companies have triple dipped on movies that suck total A**. I would certainly expect another release of this in another couple years. Especially since it's a very popular movie and highly rated by everyone.
The dvd came out very early in dvds life span and there was no re-release. There isn't going to be a special edition.
Old 04-15-2009, 08:52 AM   #152
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Seal Beach, CA

Quote:
Since it's a very popular movie and highly rated by everyone? Isn't it worth
$15.00
Old 04-15-2009, 09:22 AM   #153
Blu-ray Grand Duke

Nov 2008
On the sofa

I like this movie, but some of it is more than a little disturbing. Watched it years ago, in Taiwan, with a girlfriend, and she said, she never wants to visit America.

This movie and American Me are not very good for tourism.

Haven't bought it yet because no Chinese Subtitles, want my wife to see it and get her reaction. American History X, The Exorcist and a couple other movies are a bit disturbing and I, like many others, like them, but I don't really like having them in the house. If you know what I mean.

Can't wait till it is released in Taiwan.
Unwatched Blu-rays: 43 Movies 9 TV Series
Marantz SR6004; UD5005; CD5003
B&W DM600 S3, LCR60 S3, ASW600 SVS SB12-NSD
Audio-Technica ATH-M50
Toshiba Regza 32C3000G; Sony PS3
Epson PowerLite Home Cinema 5010
Elite Screens M106UWH-E24
Old 04-16-2009, 03:49 AM   #154
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by drtre81 View Post
The dvd came out very early in dvds life span and there was no re-release. There isn't going to be a special edition.
So that means that they won't ever release it again on Blu-ray? Like I said, they do it all the time with movies that are total crap. Just because there was never a re-release on DVD means nothing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith View Post
Since it's a very popular movie and highly rated by everyone? Isn't it worth
$15.00
It's absolutely worth it. All I was saying is I believe they'll make another one down the road.
Old 04-16-2009, 04:07 AM   #155
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2008
'Western' N.Y. State (MEMBER OF THE "ECPP")™

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjMethod View Post
I would have purchased this with the incredible price and all, but I've seen it way too many times recently because it's repeatedly been on Comcast, so it would be pointless for viewing sake.
C'mon...just get it. For $15, you can add it to your current collection of 144 BDs.
Old 04-16-2009, 08:16 AM   #156
Special Member

Oct 2008
Du Quoin, IL

Watched it tonight, I think they really should have kept that second deleted scene in (the one at the burger place). Also I thought the PQ on the first deleted scene was actually pretty damn good for 480p.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:00 PM   #157
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
The Arctic circle

Quote:
So that means that they won't ever release it again on Blu-ray? Like I said, they do it all the time with movies that are total crap. Just because there was never a re-release on DVD means nothing.

It's absolutely worth it. All I was saying is I believe they'll make another one down the road.
they won't. I assure you they won't.
"Swear to me. Swear to me that everything you said was true!"

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
3. Resident Evil: Remake
Old 04-16-2009, 07:07 PM   #158
Special Member

Jan 2009
Twin Cities, MN

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamma626 View Post
they won't. I assure you they won't.
We will see. Until an executive from New Line comes into this thread and says, "I absolutely assure you we will never double dip on this title, EVER", I'm gonna have to say that nobody here knows what they are talking about, for sure. LOL!
Old 09-23-2009, 02:14 PM   #159

Sep 2009

Last night, I watched American History X. The black and white scenes look great. The scenes outside very good. Some of the scenes, like the principal's offfice and flashback to the beach are way too grainy for my tastes.

All in all, better than DVD, but could have used some of that DNR that I've heard so much about. LOL

Good Blu-ray, but not eye candy.

Last edited by I-Candy; 09-24-2009 at 06:17 AM.
Old 09-23-2009, 10:27 PM   #160
Power Member

Nov 2007
Saginaw, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by I-Candy View Post
Last night, I watched watching American History X. The black and white scenes look great. The scenes outside very good. Some of the scenes, like the principal's offfice and flashback to the beach are way too grainy for my tastes.

All in all, better than DVD, but could have used some of that DNR that I've heard so much about. LOL

Good Blu-ray, but not eye candy.
Heck no, this film already has a 'somewhat' soft look... No need to make matters worse and kill the director's intent look at the same time. This is one of the few non-filtered Warner encodes, hopefully we'll see a lot more film-like transfers from them!

I know you were joking and all but I JUST had to say something.. Personally I've never found the grain to be 'that' bad, just make sure your sharpness isn't set too high or grain will look exaggerated
My Blu-ray Statistics

JVC DLA-RS40 w/Darbee Darblet & 003 lamp, False-wall 130" Spandex acoustically transparent screen, Sanyo PLV-Z2000 (gaming), 7.1 Paradigm Studios, Onkyo TX-NR818, Emotiva LPA-1, Behringer EP4000 x2, EIGHT Stereo Integrity HT 18"s, Balanced MiniDSP, Cross·Spectrum UMIK-1, DIY Acoustic Treatments, Sony BDP‑S590, Sony PS3, HTPC, Toshiba HD-A1 HD DVD, Dish VIP622 DVR, Leather Theater seating, Dry bar, Panasonic TH-50PX60U, APC H15 power conditioner, Harmony Smart Control
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America