Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

Let's Be Cops (Blu-ray)
$9.96
20 hrs ago
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.96

Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$149.99

Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

22 Jump Street (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Vikings: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 02-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla
Default How To Play External Blu Ray Player Through PC

I'm having a difficult time finding any previous thread related to this problem of mine. If it has been solved before, please let me know.

I have a Blu Ray/ VCR combo with HDMI output, of course. I am trying to record the VHS tapes from the combo player on my computer. I am using HDMI. How do I get the computer to see or accept the HDMI signal. Or is the HDMI port on the card only for out and unswitchable. I tried using Sony Vegas and it does not detect a signal.

Specs: Let me know if you need more information.

Video Card - Radeon HD 5750
Windows 7

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q66600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM 8.00 GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to my Graphics Card... http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...750-specs.aspx

Last edited by Beard Esquire; 02-18-2010 at 05:18 PM. Reason: Link Added
Old 02-18-2010, 05:29 PM   #2
Blu-ray Ninja

Dec 2007
Limbo

looks to me that you only have outputs no inputs.
PSN: un4gvn2 LIVE: un4givn2

SPOOOON!!

My music collection
Old 02-18-2010, 06:19 PM   #3
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Rats!

Are there any HDMI in cards? I really do not need another display driver.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:35 PM   #4

Oct 2006

Yes. HDCP may be an issue. For example:

http://www.blackmagic-design.com/products/intensity/
http://www.avermedia-usa.com/AVerTV/...il.aspx?Id=482

Last edited by McBain; 02-18-2010 at 08:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:10 PM   #5

Dec 2008
Garden Grove, CA

Bit pricey just to record VHS onto the computer. Geta cheap VCR and an analog recording device for the computer and record that way. Recording via HDMI isn't going to make the video quality of the VHS any better then recording via component or composite analog cables. And you probably won't be able to record onto the PC with that Blu-ray/VCR combo over HDMI...it probably has copyright protection.

Something like this: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16815100112

EDIT: From the Tech Specs of that input card:

Quote:
For legal reasons, capture devices from Blackmagic Design are designed not to capture, convert or transmit video or audio from copy-protected sources, e.g. video devices using HDCP.
My Setup
Television: Samsung 46" LCD LN46A550
Blu-ray: HTPC, Intel DH57JG, Intel Core i3 2.93GHz, 4GB RAM, 160GB hard drive
Storage: Asus P5WDH, Intel Core 2 Duo 2.4GHz, 8GB RAM, 512MB eVGA GeForce 8800GT, 4.25TB Storage
Receiver: Onkyo 605
Speakers: Boston HS450 Towers Front L/R, Boston HS225 Center, Polk Audio RM6750 Surrounds
Miscellaneous: APC H15 Power Conditioner, Cyron HT1506 LED Lights

Last edited by tlmaclennan; 02-18-2010 at 07:13 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

Mar 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardmoen View Post
I'm having a difficult time finding any previous thread related to this problem of mine. If it has been solved before, please let me know.

I have a Blu Ray/ VCR combo with HDMI output, of course. I am trying to record the VHS tapes from the combo player on my computer. I am using HDMI. How do I get the computer to see or accept the HDMI signal. Or is the HDMI port on the card only for out and unswitchable. I tried using Sony Vegas and it does not detect a signal.

Specs: Let me know if you need more information.

Video Card - Radeon HD 5750
Windows 7

Processor Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q66600 @ 2.40GHz
RAM 8.00 GB

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Here's a link to my Graphics Card... http://www.amd.com/us/products/noteb...750-specs.aspx
I dunno what are you doing to do?
if you are tring to capture the signal from bluray thru the vhs
forget it
copy right copy right copy right
if you are trying to get the signal straight from the vhs tapes to pc u need capturing card

you can buy it on line from 20.00 dollars on and up and if u have only one pc that occpuies alot of memory and cpu usuage and you are not getting any more clarity than the vhs

the best thing is since u have vcr/bluray combo get dvd recorder that is cheaper than anything
Old 02-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #7
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2009
Vesilla

Quote:
Originally Posted by kris26 View Post
I dunno what are you doing to do?
if you are tring to capture the signal from bluray thru the vhs
forget it
copy right copy right copy right
if you are trying to get the signal straight from the vhs tapes to pc u need capturing card

you can buy it on line from 20.00 dollars on and up and if u have only one pc that occpuies alot of memory and cpu usuage and you are not getting any more clarity than the vhs

the best thing is since u have vcr/bluray combo get dvd recorder that is cheaper than anything
I'm not trying to record VHS tapes that have copyrighted material. I used to film in the 90s on VHS. Using the capture cards are not that great. This VCR combo, upconverts the picture. It looks really nice. VCRs do not have much ohms on signal strength, so you lose a lot of image. It has composite outs, so I can use those with my Avid Avio, which has component ins.
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 AM   #8

Mar 2009

so Iam sure u might have component outs from that bluray/vcr combo
since u have avid avio that won' be hard
Old 02-19-2010, 05:05 PM   #9

Oct 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by beardmoen View Post
I'm not trying to record VHS tapes that have copyrighted material. I used to film in the 90s on VHS. Using the capture cards are not that great. This VCR combo, upconverts the picture. It looks really nice. VCRs do not have much ohms on signal strength, so you lose a lot of image. It has composite outs, so I can use those with my Avid Avio, which has component ins.
According to the manual, component output from VHS on this unit is limited to 480p and composite to 480i.

You can check with Panasonic but signals transmitted over HDMI on this type of device are encrypted with HDCP. This is separate from the copy protection systems employed on commercial tapes and discs.
Old 02-19-2010, 08:03 PM   #10

Jul 2009

In order for your computer to accept an input signal from hmdi, you'll need to get some kindof of capture card that supports it. The graphics card can only output a signal, not receive them.
Old 03-26-2010, 01:51 PM   #11

Mar 2010
Default BluRay PC LAN to BluRay Player LAN

How do you play BluRay movies on your Windows 7 64 PC, through the multi-line router (has 2 DSL connections and two blank slots), to the BluRay player's LAN connection, that is connected to the TV by HDMI?

How do you set up the DSL router?

What software is required?

What format should the movie be in for best picture?

Thanx !
Old 04-26-2010, 03:06 AM   #12

Apr 2010

If all you are looking to do is capture VHS tapes to your PC, get a cheap TV tuner card with inputs that match your VCR outputs (like composite or S-video). connect VCR to cmputer using best output available for VCR playback (ie svideo) use capture software to create files and store them.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software