Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$49.99

The King and I (Blu-ray)
$10.00
7 hrs ago
Fargo: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
Thor: The Dark World 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
14 hrs ago
Dawn of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$11.99

Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Sleeping Beauty (Blu-ray)
$18.99

Harry Potter: Complete 8-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$44.99

Planet of the Apes: Legacy Collection (Blu-ray)
$17.99
22 hrs ago
Alien Quadrilogy (Blu-ray)
$16.99
11 hrs ago
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$59.99

True Detective (Blu-ray)
$24.99

COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Old 08-27-2010, 05:51 AM   #1
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA
USA Bad Lieutenant (1992) (Harvey Keitel)

Lionsgate is bringing Abel Ferrara's Bad Lieutenant (1992), starring Harvey Keitel, to Blu-ray in the Fall of 2010. The disc will be a Best Buy exclusive from August 5 until October 5, at which time it will be available from other major retailers and online vendors.

N.B. Not to be confused with Werner Herzog's largely unrelated film: Bad Lieutenant: Port of Call New Orleans.

Roger Ebert:

Quote:
"Bad Lieutenant" tells the story of a man who is not comfortable inside his body or soul. He walks around filled with need and dread.

He is in the last stages of cocaine addiction, gulping booze to level off the drug high. His life is such a loveless hell that he buys sex just for the sensation of someone touching him, and his attention drifts even then, because there are so many demons pursuing him.

Harvey Keitel plays this man with such uncompromised honesty that the performance can only be called courageous; not many actors would want to be seen in this light.

The lieutenant has no illusions about himself. He is bad and knows he is bad, and he abuses the power of his position in every way he can. Interrupting a grocery store stickup, he sends the beat cop away and then steals the money from the thieves. He sells drug dealers their immunity by taking drugs from them. In the film's most harrowing scene, he stops two teenage girls who are driving their parents' car without permission. He threatens them with arrest, and then engages in an act of verbal rape.

Remember the Ray Liotta character in the last sequence of Martin Scorsese's "GoodFellas," when he is strung out on cocaine and paranoid that the cops are following him? His life speeds up, his thinking is frantic, he can run but he can't hide. The Keitel character in "Bad Lieutenant" is like that other character, many more agonizing months down the road. Life cannot go on like this much longer.

We learn a few things about him. He still lives in a comfortable middle-class home, with a wife and three children who have long since made their adjustment to his madness. There is no longer a semblance of marriage. He comes in at dawn and collapses on the couch, to be wakened by the TV cartoons, which cut through his hangover. He stumbles out into the world again, to do more evil. When he drives the kids to school, his impatience is palpable; he cannot wait to drop them off and get a fix.

The movie does not give the lieutenant a name, because the human aspects of individual personality no longer matter at this stage; he is a bad cop, and those two words, expressing his moral state and his leverage in society, say everything that is still important about him.

A nun is raped. He visits the hospital to see her. She knows who attacked her, but will not name them, because she forgives them.

The lieutenant is stunned. He cannot imagine this level of absolution. If a woman can forgive such a crime, is redemption possible even for him? The film dips at times into madness. In a church, he hallucinates that Jesus Christ has appeared to him. He no longer knows for sure what the boundaries of reality are. His temporary remedies - drugs and hookers - have stopped working. All that remains are selfloathing, guilt, deep physical disquiet, and the hope of salvation.

"Bad Lieutenant" was directed by Abel Ferrara, a gritty New Yorker who has come up through the exploitation ranks ("Ms. 45," "Fear City") to low budget but ambitious films like "China Girl," and "Cat Chaser." This film lacks the polish of a more sophisticated director, but would have suffered from it. The film and the character live close to the streets. The screenplay is by Ferrara and Zoe Lund, who can be seen onscreen as a hooker. They are not interested in plot in the usual sense. There is no case to solve, no crime to stop, no bad guys except for the hero.

Keitel starred in Scorsese's first film and has spent the last 25 years taking more chances with scripts and directors than any other major actor. He has the nerve to tackle roles like this, that other actors, even those with street images, would shy away from. He bares everything here - his body, yes, but also his weaknesses, his hungers. It is a performance given without reservation.

The film has the NC-17 rating, for adults only, and that is appropriate. But it is not a "dirty movie," and in fact takes spirituality and morality more seriously than most films do. And in the bad lieutenant, Keitel has given us one of the great screen performances in recent years
"You might very well think that; I couldn't possibly comment."
Old 08-27-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Fantastic film, really. One of Mr. Ferrara's best.

Pro-B
Old 08-27-2010, 06:51 AM   #3
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Fantastic film, really. One of Mr. Ferrara's best.

Pro-B
This was another film that I saw and didn't enjoy--though, doubtless, the film is not "enjoyed" per se--but it has (vaguely) stayed with me to this day. I saw it perhaps a decade ago so it will be very interesting to revisit it now.

It's a shame that few in the Best Buy Ad thread have mentioned picking it up on Sunday. It will supposedly be only $9.99 in-store at Best Buy.

Last edited by McCrutchy; 08-27-2010 at 06:54 AM.
Old 08-27-2010, 06:52 AM   #4
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Quote:
Originally Posted by McCrutchy View Post
This was another film that I saw and didn't enjoy but it has (vaguely) stayed with me to this day. I saw it perhaps a decade ago so it will be very interesting to revisit it now.

It's a shame that few in the Best Buy Ad thread have mentioned picking it up on Sunday. It will supposedly be only $9.99 in-store at Best Buy.
Would be a blind buy for it. Is it supposed to be $8-$10 at BB this Sunday?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:19 AM   #5
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by shinseiromeo View Post
Would be a blind buy for it. Is it supposed to be $8-$10 at BB this Sunday?
According to the site news article and the Ad thread, we can expect it to be, but don't hold a gun to my head...

I've also seen $14.99 mentioned as a possibility. Right now on the site it's $17.99. But if the other titles go to less than $10, expect this one to follow suit. I expect it's the film they expect to move the fewest units of the bunch.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:25 PM   #6

Aug 2008
Livonia, MI

Definitely will pick this up for 9.99 or I'll keep my Amazon preorder for 13.99. Harvey's performance is easily one of the best of the 90s.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:32 PM   #7
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Can't wait to pick this one up Sunday at Best Buy. I recall watching it on IFC years back and it's a brutal flick. Makes a great companion movie to Reservoir Dogs.
Old 08-27-2010, 07:44 PM   #8
Blu-ray Duke

Jun 2010
US

Quote:
According to the site news article and the Ad thread, we can expect it to be, but don't hold a gun to my head...

I've also seen $14.99 mentioned as a possibility. Right now on the site it's $17.99. But if the other titles go to less than $10, expect this one to follow suit. I expect it's the film they expect to move the fewest units of the bunch.
Would you recommend it as a purchase for someone who has never seen or heard of it?
Old 08-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #9
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by badlieut View Post
Definitely will pick this up for 9.99 or I'll keep my Amazon preorder for 13.99. Harvey's performance is easily one of the best of the 90s.
Hello Prentice...

Good to see you here

Pro-B
Old 08-29-2010, 10:17 AM   #10
Contributor

Dec 2008
East Coast, USA

Quote:
You did see Amazon is not having it out until 10/5, right? This and several other Lionsgate titles are only at Best Buy until that day.

Quote:
Would you recommend it as a purchase for someone who has never seen or heard of it?
Although there are few films akin to this one on US BD, looking at your collection, I'd gamble a yes, although it has been years since I've seen the film. I don't really remember what happens or the content as much as that I remember it had a profound effect on me; I remember it as being quite devastating. I would also definitely see it if you are even a casual fan of Harvey Keitel, as it will deepen your appreciation of his work.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:37 PM   #11

Aug 2008
Livonia, MI

Quote:
You did see Amazon is not having it out until 10/5, right? This and several other Lionsgate titles are only at Best Buy until that day.
Yeah, I meant that if BB had it for 14.99+, I could wait for my Amazon preorder. It looks like BB has it for 9.99 so I'm going to run up there.
Old 08-29-2010, 03:38 PM   #12

Aug 2008
Livonia, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
Hello Prentice...

Good to see you here

Pro-B
Hi Svet!

Thanks! Just following you around.

Maybe Criterion will release Before the Rain on Blu-ray.
Old 08-29-2010, 04:14 PM   #13
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

Quote:
its really intense, but judging by your collection you will probably like it.
just dont watch it with family, girlfriend, kids etc

personally i cant wait to pick this up at best buy
great price for a great movie
Old 08-29-2010, 05:11 PM   #14
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Got it today at Best Buy for $9.99.
Old 08-29-2010, 05:30 PM   #15
Blu-ray Guru

Mar 2009

Does it still have the annoying soundtrack edit removing Schooly D's Signifying Rapper thanks to its sampling of Led Zep's Kashmir?
"There's nothing wrong with Britain that impaling the Prime Minister wouldn't cure"
Old 08-29-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
Does it still have the annoying soundtrack edit removing Schooly D's Signifying Rapper thanks to its sampling of Led Zep's Kashmir?
I'm sure it unfortunately does..the Lionsgate dvd release from a year or so ago and Artisan's prior dvd both had it removed...seriously doubt it's been silently restored for the blu-ray.
Old 08-29-2010, 07:39 PM   #17
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Quote:
Hi Svet!

Thanks! Just following you around.

Maybe Criterion will release Before the Rain on Blu-ray.
We have to get to work again for that to happen

Good to see you again.

Pro-B
Old 08-29-2010, 11:15 PM   #18
Banned

Aug 2009
FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by HotRats View Post
On a related note I take issue with Lionsgate's neutering of the original theatrical tagline for their dvd and new blu-ray...the original was "Gambler. Thief. Junkie. Killer. Cop."....Here is junkie omitted. Last I checked he's still very much a junkie...
Old 08-30-2010, 02:58 AM   #19
Expert Member

Mar 2010

Watched this earlier today. A super sleazy, nasty flick. Harvey Keitel is excellent. That scene with him and the two girls in the car was super gross.
Old 08-30-2010, 03:08 AM   #20
Blu-ray Ninja

Jan 2009
Interzone

Quote:
Originally Posted by puffyrock2 View Post
Watched this earlier today. A super sleazy, nasty flick. Harvey Keitel is excellent. That scene with him and the two girls in the car was super gross.
i havent watched mine yet, hows it look?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America

Tags
bad lieutenant, ferrara, keitel, lionsgate