Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Movie Deals, See All the Deals »
Now: The Ant and the Aardvark $12.99 (65% claimed)

Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lost World (Blu-ray)
$15.58
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
The Passion of Joan of Arc (Blu-ray)
$19.80
Outlander: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Lady Bird (Blu-ray)
$22.99
My Cousin Vinny (Blu-ray)
$3.99
The Theory of Everything (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Smokey and the Bandit (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Attack on Titan: Complete Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$21.99
Maze Runner: The Death Cure (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Rock-a-Doodle (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Terminator: Genisys 3D (Blu-ray)
$9.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 04-20-2010, 06:09 AM   #301

Mar 2009

Well given that I would receive 2 speakers with the woofer on different sides of the speaker would it matter which one I used?
Old 04-20-2010, 06:53 AM   #302
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamont360 View Post
Well given that I would receive 2 speakers with the woofer on different sides of the speaker would it matter which one I used?
It depends on the shape of your room and the cabinets surrounding the speakers. You need to experiment with both and decide which sounds better to you.

The speakers that are build like that are normally for the right and left side in a typical HT room. You may be better off buying a dedicated center speaker that is timbre matched with your front speakers.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.

Last edited by Big Daddy; 07-26-2010 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #303

Oct 2009
Toronto
Send a message via Skype™ to dancel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Daddy View Post
It can help, but to get the best results, you need to control the frequencies that go to the super tweeter and perhaps cut the higher frequencies that were going to the tweeter inside the speaker with a new crossover network, preferably an active crossover.

Even without a new crossover, it may be worthwhile to try. Make sure the super tweeter has a built-in crossover. If the super tweeter is raw and does not have a crossover, you will have to use a capacitor to cut off the lower frequencies from the super tweeter. Otherwise, you will fry your super tweeter.
I did try it, and it did not give the same results as having them on my towers, turning my klipsch C2 on its side does make a difference.
Video: Panasonic 60VT60
Players: Oppo BDP 103/Sony PS3 Super slim
Receivers/AMP: Yamaha Aventage RX-A2020 / Nuforce ICON HDP
Speakers/Headphones: KEF Q900/Q600C /Q300 Pioneer PT-R4 Super Tweeters
Add Ons: Panamax 5400PM / Auralex Subdude HD/Cinemaquest Ideal-Lume Panelight / Harmony 1100
Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 PM   #304

Nov 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancel View Post
hey big daddy,

If you add a super tweeter to horizontal center speaker, will that fix the problem?
Quote:
It can help, but to get the best results, you need to control the frequencies that go to the super tweeter and perhaps cut the higher frequencies that were going to the tweeter inside the speaker with a new crossover network, preferably an active crossover.

Even without a new crossover, it may be worthwhile to try. Make sure the super tweeter has a built-in crossover. If the super tweeter is raw and does not have a crossover, you will have to use a capacitor to cut off the lower frequencies from the super tweeter. Otherwise, you will fry your super tweeter.
as BD mentioned, simply adding a new tweeter doesnt resolve the problem. the challenge is to see if your current center speaker has different crossover settings for each woofer, to avoid aforementioned challenges, mainly lobing or phase cancellation.

If not, then as bd mentioned, you'd have to change the current crossover inside the current center channel, may you be adding a new tweeter or not.
System is very busy now.
Thank you for visiting KONAMI ID portal.
We apologize for the inconvenience.
We would like you to try to access again in later.
Old 07-14-2010, 08:51 PM   #305

Oct 2009

I have 3 elemental designs w6-6tc's on the way. I have 31" stands coming for the L and R channels, and will be hardmounting the center to the wall under the TV. So then the center channel will be sitting lower than the rest.

Big question, should i have the L and R speakers upside down to close the gap horizontally as far as the tweeters go? I know this is not ideal, but would it help?
to quote progers13
I'm beginning to think that eD stands for "everything's Delayed"
Old 07-15-2010, 02:34 AM   #306
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphite View Post
I have 3 elemental designs w6-6tc's on the way. I have 31" stands coming for the L and R channels, and will be hardmounting the center to the wall under the TV. So then the center channel will be sitting lower than the rest.

Big question, should i have the L and R speakers upside down to close the gap horizontally as far as the tweeters go? I know this is not ideal, but would it help?
No, don't turn your front speakers upside down. You may ruin its sound. Try to install the center speaker so that it is slightly tilted upward toward your head. I have put 3 door stops under my 2 center channel speakers to make them tilt upward. For less than a $3-$4, the cheap tweak works great.
HT Room: Panasonic PT-AE8000, Epson 1080UB Proj., Mitsubishi 65" Diamond Series HD TV, Yamaha-RX-A3010 Rec., CinePro 6-Ch. Amp. (350 W/Ch, 8 Ohm), Proton D1200 Amp., Behringer EP4000 & EPX3000 Amps., Oppo BDP-83, Sony BDP-S790, Audio Technica Tuntable, Mitsubishi S-VHS, 2 Def. Tech. Super Towers w 15" subs, 1 Def. Tech. Center & 1 Martin-Logan Center, 2 Def. Tech. Surr. & 2 PSB Surr., 2 Cadence Presence, 2 Bose 901 Rears, 2 Modified HSU 12" Subs, 1 ED DIY 12" Sub, 1 ED DIY 15" Sub, Velodyne SMS-1 Subwoofer Equalizer, DirecTV HD, Monster HTS 5000 & APC H15 Power Conditioners.
Two-Channel Room: XiangSheng Tube Preamp., Carver TFM-45 Amp. (375 W/Ch), Behringer EPX4000 Amp., Onkyo CD player, Denon Turntable, Yamaha Tuner, 2 Vintage Polk RTA-15TL Speakers, 2 LCY 100 Super Tweeters, 2 DIY Folded Horn Super Towers with 15" Sub., 1 Modified AA HD-SUB12
Family Room: Mitsubishi 73" Diamond Series TV, Yamaha DSP-A3090 Rec., DirecTV HD-DVR, PS3, Zvox Speaker, 1 DIY 12" Sub.
Old 07-26-2010, 06:39 AM   #307
Blu-ray Ninja

Nov 2007
KIC8462852

Hi everyone,

Just found this topic, thanks BigDaddy for the detailed article.

Not sure if this been asked, I'm using the KEF iQ6c center speaker which has the tweeter in the inside of the midrange driver (uni-Q), and there are LF drivers on each side. How does this affect the sound as it's not typical MTM design?

It's also slightly curved, and I put it on an Auralex isolation platforn that tilts the speaker upwards facing my head.
Too much nostalgia interrupts progress. Looking forward to something new.
Old 07-26-2010, 07:30 AM   #308
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by aiman04 View Post
Hi everyone,

Just found this topic, thanks BigDaddy for the detailed article.

Not sure if this been asked, I'm using the KEF iQ6c center speaker which has the tweeter in the inside of the midrange driver (uni-Q), and there are LF drivers on each side. How does this affect the sound as it's not typical MTM design?

It's also slightly curved, and I put it on an Auralex isolation platforn that tilts the speaker upwards facing my head.
From what you have described, I would say that KEF has done its homework and has designed a center speaker that deals with some of the problems associated with MTM center channel speakers. Enjoy your speakers.
Old 11-03-2010, 01:04 AM   #309

Jul 2009

Quote:
Your options in descending order are:
  1. The best option is three identical front speakers (3 DM309).
  2. The next best option is to buy a center speakers that is timbre matched to the two front speakers and is placed vertically (2 DM309 and one LCR3 placed vertically).
  3. The third option is to place a timbre matched speaker horizontally that is corrected for the MTM flaws (2 DM309, and one LCR3 placed horizontally).
  4. The fourth option is to use a center speaker that is from a different line and is not timbre matched to the other front speakers (2 DM309, and one DM604).
If you want to build your own speaker, that is also a great idea.
Hi again,

After a while I replaced the LCR3 with a HTM61 and I like the improvement.

On the other hand, I have another system with 4 Martin Logan Montage (cherry) and I just found a single ML Montage (black) on the internet that I'm planning to use it as my center channel; but as the cabinet has some scratches, I want to build a new cabinet using the hardware to match the other speakers but I don't want to keep it vertical because I will place it on my TV stand.

Any suggestion about the speaker arrangement?
Old 11-03-2010, 03:31 AM   #310
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank001 View Post
Hi again,

After a while I replaced the LCR3 with a HTM61 and I like the improvement.

On the other hand, I have another system with 4 Martin Logan Montage (cherry) and I just found a single ML Montage (black) on the internet that I'm planning to use it as my center channel; but as the cabinet has some scratches, I want to build a new cabinet using the hardware to match the other speakers but I don't want to keep it vertical because I will place it on my TV stand.

Any suggestion about the speaker arrangement?
Any time you replace the cabinet of a speaker, you may completely change or destroy the sound of the speaker. In this case, the speaker uses a magnetically driven planar tweeter (1.5" by 2.25" transducer ) and two 6.5" woofers in a dipole arrangement with a rear port and curved cabinet. This makes your job almost impossible. My suggestion is to repair the current cabinet and use paint, stain, or any other type of cabinet resurfacing and leave the box alone. Moreover, the impedance of the speaker is 4 ohms.

If you still want to build an horizontal caninet, probanly an MTM design is the best with the tweeter slightly above the woofers. Also, don't change anything on the crossover as it is set perfectly by ML to transission the sound from the woofers to the tweeter. Good luck.
Old 11-03-2010, 03:45 AM   #311

Jul 2009
Virginia

Hello all... Ive recently purchased some new speakers from axiom, I'm using m3 bookshelves and m60 towers ... Right now I'm using an m3 as a center, it sports one of the same drivers as the m60s It seems to be working great.. all pans have been really seem-less. I've been thinking about moving the m3 to a 6.2 position and putting another m60 up front. but with how well it seems to work do you guys think it would be worth it $ wise???
if so what would be the non obvious advantages ... would I achieve an even more powerful front stage?
BIG sound!
Old 11-03-2010, 05:03 AM   #312
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmb1080p View Post
Hello all... Ive recently purchased some new speakers from axiom, I'm using m3 bookshelves and m60 towers ... Right now I'm using an m3 as a center, it sports one of the same drivers as the m60s It seems to be working great.. all pans have been really seem-less. I've been thinking about moving the m3 to a 6.2 position and putting another m60 up front. but with how well it seems to work do you guys think it would be worth it $ wise???
if so what would be the non obvious advantages ... would I achieve an even more powerful front stage?
Are you planning to buy another M60 tower and use it as the center? If that is the case, your front sound stage becomes as good as it gets. Three identical front speakers that are positioned vertically is the best option and will outperform even the best horizontal center channel speaker that is timbre matched to your front speakers.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:35 AM   #313

Jul 2010

Quote:
Unless your setup is front projection with an acoustically transparent screen for your center to be behind, your screen/TV will be above all 3 of your front stage speakers. That may not be a showstopper, depending on how far back you sit. It can be distracting, at least it is for me, when the dialogue comes from below the screen (I have an LCD), but at least the R and L mains are floorstanders and that part of the soundstage is in alignment with the screen. It's where the tweeters are, btw. And it could be uncomfortable looking up at the screen too much.
Old 11-03-2010, 02:19 PM   #314

Jul 2009
Virginia

Quote:
Are you planning to buy another M60 tower and use it as the center? If that is the case, your front sound stage becomes as good as it gets. Three identical front speakers that are positioned vertically is the best option and will outperform even the best horizontal center channel speaker that is timbre matched to your front speakers.
Yep that is my plan, get another m60 to use as a center ... I think it would be really cool! When I got the speakers I didn't want to do a horizontal center so I got a large bookshelf speaker(M3) to use as a center and it works way better than the horizontals I've had in the past...

I may get Another m60 sometime next year just wanted to get your thoughts.
thanks
BIG sound!
Old 11-06-2010, 07:53 PM   #315

Jul 2009
Virginia

Well I went ahead and changed them out.... a third m60 is on order
BIG sound!
Old 11-06-2010, 10:36 PM   #316
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Well I went ahead and changed them out.... a third m60 is on order
Don't forget to invite us all for an audition of your new speaker.
Old 11-08-2010, 03:04 AM   #317

Sep 2010

@All

I just wanted to personally thank Big Daddy & all contributors to this very informative (& eye-opening) thread. After reading through this thread I had decided to do an experiment using a bookshelf speaker as a center speaker. To lessen my investment risk I found a DIY speaker 'creator' that made me 3 bs speakers with single 5in woofer with JBL tweeter. When i audysseyd the setup, sure enough all channels were leveled at +2.0db. In the past, my center would be 2.0db less than the fronts. Then when I used my reference bluray movie to test out the dialogue, lo & behold there was a fullness to the voices, the clarity of spoken words (even being able to hear the actors taking breaths, and the dialogue did not seem 'boxy'. The dialogue felt like it was coming from the screen! Not to mention panning effects were seemless! Since my wife, son, & I are planning our move to the US (hopefully) very soon, I know now what route to take on my speaker 'journey'. Definitely going to have matching towers or bookshelf speakers! The only issue will be to find a distributor that will offer speakers individually, not in pairs. I had scouted & found that Best Buy offers the B&W 683s individually. That is on my short list vut I would hav to invest in a transparent PJ screen. Or get 3 pairs of the B&W 685s & use the extra 685 as a center rear, if that would be possible. Was hoping Paradigm would also sell individually. Do you all know of any other brands offering speakers not in pairs?

Thanks to everyone for this thread! Cheers!
Old 11-08-2010, 03:16 AM   #318

Aug 2008
Pacific Northwest

Quote:
Originally Posted by phipsi1 View Post
@All

I just wanted to personally thank Big Daddy & all contributors to this very informative (& eye-opening) thread. After reading through this thread I had decided to do an experiment using a bookshelf speaker as a center speaker. To lessen my investment risk I found a DIY speaker 'creator' that made me 3 bs speakers with single 5in woofer with JBL tweeter. When i audysseyd the setup, sure enough all channels were leveled at +2.0db. In the past, my center would be 2.0db less than the fronts. Then when I used my reference bluray movie to test out the dialogue, lo & behold there was a fullness to the voices, the clarity of spoken words (even being able to hear the actors taking breaths, and the dialogue did not seem 'boxy'. The dialogue felt like it was coming from the screen! Not to mention panning effects were seemless! Since my wife, son, & I are planning our move to the US (hopefully) very soon, I know now what route to take on my speaker 'journey'. Definitely going to have matching towers or bookshelf speakers! The only issue will be to find a distributor that will offer speakers individually, not in pairs. I had scouted & found that Best Buy offers the B&W 683s individually. That is on my short list vut I would hav to invest in a transparent PJ screen. Or get 3 pairs of the B&W 685s & use the extra 685 as a center rear, if that would be possible. Was hoping Paradigm would also sell individually. Do you all know of any other brands offering speakers not in pairs?

Thanks to everyone for this thread! Cheers!
Glad to see you noticed a difference phipsi

I for one will never go back to a 2+1 front sound stage ! 3 is better then 2+1 IMO. Good Luck with the future move to the states
Brent

Changing to 4K ~ Got the 60" TV. Next the player, movies. Then the sound system ~ Again LOL........
Old 11-22-2010, 06:24 PM   #319

Apr 2007
Los Angeles
Default vertical center channel

I own a polk CSi5 Center channel speaker and it's currently horizontally mounted above my TV. I notice inconsistecy in dialogue sometimes. I read this sticky post and became interested.

I am currently considering building a new TV stand/cabinet and and debating whether or not to accomodate a section in the middle of the stand/cabinet to house my CSi5 to stand vertically? My concern is that the center-speaker might be to low to the ground. There won't be any obstructions between the speaker and the listener, however the tweeter of the vertical-standing center channel will be approximately 16 inches above the floor (once the stand/cabinet gets built) versus 46 inches vertical height of the floorstanding L/R speakers.

Is this recommended?
Pannasonic BD65/Yamaha RX-A700/Viera 50PZ85U
POLK RTi12 (Bi-amp), CSi5, 2-pair FXi4
Definitive Techonology Supercube Reference (LFE)
DIY Sub with Dayton Audio Reference 15" HO driver
External amps, Gemini XGA3000, Behringer EP4000.

MSI A75MA mobo, AMD Hudson D3 chipset
Radeon RD 260x 2GB GDDR5/16 GB RAM/AMD Quad Core A8

Last edited by rarredoa; 11-22-2010 at 08:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2010, 10:29 PM   #320
Blu-ray Champion

Jan 2008
Southern California

Quote:
Originally Posted by rarredoa View Post
I own a polk CSi5 Center channel speaker and it's currently horizontally mounted above my TV. I notice inconsistecy in dialogue sometimes. I read this sticky post and became interested.

I am currently considering building a new TV stand/cabinet and and debating whether or not to accomodate a section in the middle of the stand/cabinet to house my CSi5 to stand vertically? My concern is that the center-speaker might be to low to the ground. There won't be any obstructions between the speaker and the listener, however the tweeter of the vertical-standing center channel will be approximately 16 inches above the floor (once the stand/cabinet gets built) versus 46 inches vertical height of the floorstanding L/R speakers.

Is this recommended?
Many people put their horizontal center speaker on the floor or barely above the floor. A vertical center speaker on the floor will outperform a horizontal center speaker in most cases. Put the speaker on a very short stand and then put something (e.g., door stops) under the front of the speaker to tilt it backward so that the tweeter is facing toward your head when you are sitting down. You can build your stand yourself. Alternatively, you can attach rubber feet or spikes to the bottom of the speaker.

http://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=11042111

http://shop.ebay.com/items/rubber+fe...=304542_304562

http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_3bqofdoqr1_p
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers