Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Ice Age 4 Movie Set (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ghost in the Shell: Arise: Borders 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$27.23
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Vincent Price Collection II (Blu-ray)
$59.76
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$55.95
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 08-27-2011, 03:56 AM   #1

Apr 2008
US - PA
Default 5.1 Audio Output on Mac

Using the optical output from my mac, I've run a toslink cable to my 7.1 receiver to play audio from a video file within VLC. The mac is set to use the Digital Out option within the OS and the VLC player is also set to Digital Out under Audio Device. I only have a Stereo, Left, Right and Reverse Stereo option under Audio Channels.

In the past, this setup has worked to sucessfully play 5.1 audio using the Auto Surround option (here the receiver detects the input channels and proceeds to process the audio accordingly). However now my receiver is only showing STEREO on the display readout.

I've checked numerous forums on this but none of them actually go into receiver settings. I know for a fact the video file has 6 channels of audio as I've heard this file sucessfully before and the codec information reads as 3F2R/LFE

Any idea ??
TV: Samsung UN60ES7100 BD Player: Sony BDP-S590 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1018
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP8B Fronts, Definitive Technology CS-8060HD Center, Definitive Technology SR-8080 Surrounds & Rear Surrounds SUB: BIC America F-12 & Sony SA-WM40
Remote: Logitech Harmony 550
Old 08-30-2011, 07:15 PM   #2

Apr 2008
US - PA

Bueller...Bueller... I guess this is too specific of a problem.
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP8B Fronts, Definitive Technology CS-8060HD Center, Definitive Technology SR-8080 Surrounds & Rear Surrounds SUB: BIC America F-12 & Sony SA-WM40
Old 08-30-2011, 10:25 PM   #3

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinokev View Post
Using the optical output from my mac, I've run a toslink cable to my 7.1 receiver to play audio from a video file within VLC. The mac is set to use the Digital Out option within the OS and the VLC player is also set to Digital Out under Audio Device. I only have a Stereo, Left, Right and Reverse Stereo option under Audio Channels.

In the past, this setup has worked to sucessfully play 5.1 audio using the Auto Surround option (here the receiver detects the input channels and proceeds to process the audio accordingly). However now my receiver is only showing STEREO on the display readout.

I've checked numerous forums on this but none of them actually go into receiver settings. I know for a fact the video file has 6 channels of audio as I've heard this file sucessfully before and the codec information reads as 3F2R/LFE

Any idea ??
You didn't say where you are checking the outputs on the Mac (Sound in System Preferences or using the Audio MIDI Setup application), so forgive me if this is wrong.

Have you checked how many outputs the Mac is set up to use in the Audio MIDI Setup application? Also are you using Lion? My Mac Mini keeps resetting my audio to 96k after every restart.

Check your audio format in Audio MIDI Setup, Toslink won't carry more than stereo if the the format is set higher than 48 kHz (I think).

I hope that helps some.
Old 08-31-2011, 06:14 PM   #4

Apr 2008
US - PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by jollo View Post
You didn't say where you are checking the outputs on the Mac (Sound in System Preferences or using the Audio MIDI Setup application), so forgive me if this is wrong.

Have you checked how many outputs the Mac is set up to use in the Audio MIDI Setup application? Also are you using Lion? My Mac Mini keeps resetting my audio to 96k after every restart.

Check your audio format in Audio MIDI Setup, Toslink won't carry more than stereo if the the format is set higher than 48 kHz (I think).

I hope that helps some.

Using Sys Prefs or by option clicking the Speaker icon on the top right of the OS and selecting Digital Out. When checking the MIDI Setup App I can only select 2ch as I'm using the on-board audio output. I believe the only way you can select multi-channel is if you have a secondary audio card. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Running the most current version of Snow Leopard.
Old 09-01-2011, 10:54 AM   #5

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinokev View Post
Using Sys Prefs or by option clicking the Speaker icon on the top right of the OS and selecting Digital Out. When checking the MIDI Setup App I can only select 2ch as I'm using the on-board audio output. I believe the only way you can select multi-channel is if you have a secondary audio card. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Running the most current version of Snow Leopard.
I didn't think this was so tough but I was wrong. I have a Mac Mini and it has HDMI out and you can choose multiple channel audio in the Audio MIDI app. I tried hooking up a Toslink connection and you are right, there is only the choice for stereo out.

I did find this: How to get 5.1 surround sound on your Mac maybe it will help but I haven't tried it.

Last edited by jollo; 09-01-2011 at 12:27 PM.
Old 09-01-2011, 07:05 PM   #6

Apr 2008
US - PA

I'm thinking one of the more recent OS updates had changed how the optical out works (or at the very least reset my preferences to the point of not functioning as intended). I'll check out the link and see if it offers any new insight to this unique problem.

Thanks for your time and reply. I'll keep you posted.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Audio Theory and Discussion