COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Y Tu Mamá También (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Jumanji (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Tinto Brass: Maestro of Erotica Cinema (Blu-ray)
$45.34
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Jarhead 2: Field of Fire (Blu-ray)
$17.78
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$22.98
Once Upon a Time: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$102.49
Homeland: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$31.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology

Old 01-12-2008, 01:58 PM   #661
Special Member

Aug 2007
North Potomac, MD

CES 2008: 10 Winners & Losers

Winner
Sony
The leading company behind the Blu-ray high-def disc almost took a victory lap here after Warner Bros. last week endorsed the format over HD DVD. As the week progressed, hundreds of publications wrote stories suggesting that HD DVD is dead. Or, almost anyway. For Sony, it could hardly have gone better.

Loser
Toshiba

And for Toshiba, it could hardly have gone worse. HD DVD's leading supporter was clearly caught off guard by the Warner endorsement and seemed wobbly during the entire show. By Thursday, some were saying that the company might throw in the towel sooner than later.

Loser
Microsoft

Likewise, as a vocal supporter of HD DVD, Microsoft is in danger of continuing its streak of betting on the wrong TV-based products. With the exception of the XBox, Microsoft seems to always be on the wrong side on TV issues (Ultimate TV, Interactive TV, WebTV, etc.)

By the end of the week, Microsoft Chairman Bill Gates seemed to be trying to convince people that the company was actually neutral in the format war. Yeah, right.

Winner
Warner Bros.

The studio is being heralded as a kingmaker for its endorsement of Blu-ray. When the history of the format war is written, its decision will be regarded as the pivotal moment in the battle.

http://www.tvpredictions.com/ceswinlose011008.htm
Old 01-12-2008, 10:13 PM   #662

Sep 2007

I think its safe to say that the release date pending section over at HDD for HDDVD should be updated, none of those HBO/New Line/Warner titles will ever have dates and that cuts that list almost in half 86 now 45.
Old 01-13-2008, 03:02 PM   #663
Blu-ray Samurai

Jul 2007
Hatfield, UK / Jakarta, Indonesia

now where is that "SA0CD"????? we told him, it's happening, and it is now
Walt Disney's Fan
Laptop/Main Blu-ray Disc Player:
Intel Core i7 950 3.06GHz| 12GB RAM | 4TB HDD | nVidia GeForce 465GTX | 1920x1080 (32 inch and 27 inch 3D) | 5.1 Logitech Z5500 and 2.0 Logitech R5 Speakers
LG Blu-ray/HD DVD Drive | LG Blu-ray Writer BH10 | Samsung Blu-ray Drive
Old 01-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #664
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparksj View Post
Here is how I see it.Now, each truck hold 100 gallons of gas and take two tank fulls to get where its going. 200 gallons x $3.00/gallon x 40 tucks = $24,000 saved in gas alone by supporting just one format. Now look at the cost of multiple facilities not to mention salaries (which is about 70% of total cost).

There you have it. The extra shipping is affected by the gas prices, as well as all the money saved in labor, manufacturing etc...

I can see why it costs less to support just one format.

Granted, when discs sales start go go up, the cost of shipping will be an issue again, but they will benefit from all of the efficiencies by not having to duplicate everything in both formats.
Not quite, having worked in retail during the gas price jumps a few years ago, they're hit on the other end.

Consumers don't buy luxury items [ie, entertainment, high-def optics] when gas goes up, because well, they need the gas, regardless of how much it costs. Paired up with folks being already hesitant to invest in either High-Def optics because of the war, sales prolly slum alot more than they would have anticipated.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:42 PM   #665
Expert Member

Oct 2007
MD, USA
Send a message via AIM to bilbravo

Sorry if this has been posted/asked before, but I didn't find anything with a search (but I'm admittedly not good at searching) and I can't read 34 pages...

What is the final word on the Warner pay-off? $500 million? I know they said they weren't paid, but I was wondering if we had any other denial.

Also, a friend told me he read that Warner was going to go HD-DVD exclusive if Fox was going, but that fell through so Warner announced their exclusivity. Of course, no links were provided. But I was wondering if there were sources stating things about this I could provide to this friend?
Samsung LN40B630 / Logitech Harmony One / Sony STR-DG710 / 60 (250) GB PS3
- too many PS3 games to list here now
Old 01-15-2008, 02:44 PM   #666
Blu-ray Guru

Dec 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbravo View Post
Sorry if this has been posted/asked before, but I didn't find anything with a search (but I'm admittedly not good at searching) and I can't read 34 pages...

What is the final word on the Warner pay-off? $500 million? I know they said they weren't paid, but I was wondering if we had any other denial.

Also, a friend told me he read that Warner was going to go HD-DVD exclusive if Fox was going, but that fell through so Warner announced their exclusivity. Of course, no links were provided. But I was wondering if there were sources stating things about this I could provide to this friend?
It's been internet buzz is all. Take it with a grain of salt. Could be true, could not be. But no companies were caught red handed like with the Paramount deal, so doubtful the truth will ever really come out.
Old 01-15-2008, 03:42 PM   #667
Expert Member

Oct 2007
MD, USA
Send a message via AIM to bilbravo

I saw this, but who knows what to make of any of this stuff.

http://gizmodo.com/344680/the-real-r...r-went-blu+ray
Samsung LN40B630 / Logitech Harmony One / Sony STR-DG710 / 60 (250) GB PS3
- too many PS3 games to list here now
Old 01-15-2008, 10:27 PM   #668

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilbravo View Post
I saw this, but who knows what to make of any of this stuff.

http://gizmodo.com/344680/the-real-r...r-went-blu+ray
Here is the link to the actual article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848675-96.stm
Old 01-15-2008, 10:31 PM   #669
Special Member

Mar 2007
collingdale,pa
Default indeed

worked for paramount ,lol
Don`t ,don`t come in here california ,John Doe has the upper hand.
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #670

Jan 2008
Dallas, Texas

All that matters is this thing looks to be finally over. I bought my BD Player one week before Paramount jumped ship and was pretty upset over the whole thing. So, it is a little re-affirming now that WB is on board.

Now, bring on Batman Begins!!!!
Old 01-15-2008, 10:32 PM   #671
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

There's been an answer, and by a Fox VP no less.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32111

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 01-15-2008, 10:46 PM   #672
Special Member

Sep 2007
Orlando, FL

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam View Post
Here is the link to the actual article
http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08012/848675-96.stm
Klam, sorry, but I'm going to be a bit mean here: I've had it with new members coming onto the site, playing "innocent" and asking these F***ing doom & gloom questions! And wow, how incredibly gracious of you to post the link to the article that this person is intimating about. So very helpful of you. Miraculously, it's not the original article that everyone's already discussed, but a whole new one. But oops! It's referencing the FUD and slander that was originally posted by THE VERY SAME AUTHOR of the orginal article.

Simply put: this has always been a rumor; there is no logical reason why Fox would have been considering going HD DVD; the only sources of this FUD is a known HD DVD fanboy.

So why does it keep being brought up? And for the record, it's not difficult to find the thread that's already discussing this article, it's on the home page as being recently discussed. This crap is just pissing me off, and I'm getting really tired of every thread somehow being turned into a FUD-fest! Enough of this!

[EDIT]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
There's been an answer, and by a Fox VP no less.

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=32111
Thank you Elandyll. You certainly can't get a much more reliable source than that...
My Collection

I do Blu! Blu-blooded and proud of it!
TV: Sony KDS-R60XBR2 Blu-ray Player: Sony BDP-S1 (Have you checked on firmware updates for your player?)

Last edited by SpikesBluBlooded; 01-15-2008 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Additional link provided
Old 01-15-2008, 11:45 PM   #673
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikesBluBlooded View Post
Klam, sorry, but I'm going to be a bit mean here: I've had it with new members coming onto the site, playing "innocent" and asking these F***ing doom & gloom questions!
I'm glad I'm not the only one who have noticed this recent trend.
Old 01-16-2008, 02:32 AM   #674
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
like others have posted, pure BS started by some HD DVD fanboys with hurt fealings.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:00 PM   #675

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpikesBluBlooded View Post
Klam, sorry, but I'm going to be a bit mean here: I've had it with new members coming onto the site, playing "innocent"...
I "quoted" the wrong post. I was trying to quote post 668 and respond with the article of what he was saying, that's all. That was before I read the digitalbits about FOX VP denying the pay-off.

Just because i'm a new member doesn't mean i'm a hd-dvd fanboy. Have you read any of my previous post where I spread FUD? I'm here to support HDM. I'm a fanyboy of HDM and not DD. I bought a hd-dvd player because I had little money and wanted to get into HDM. After a few weeks I realized that I made a mistake and begged my wife to let me exhange the hd-player and spend more to get a Blu player. Blu had the movies that I was interested in. I did exhange the hd-dvd for the PS3 pre WB annoucement. It was the best decision I made for my HDM experience.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:22 PM   #676
Power Member

Aug 2005
Sheffield, UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by klam View Post
I "quoted" the wrong post. I was trying to quote post 668 and respond with the article of what he was saying, that's all. That was before I read the digitalbits about FOX VP denying the pay-off.

Just because i'm a new member doesn't mean i'm a hd-dvd fanboy. Have you read any of my previous post where I spread FUD? I'm here to support HDM. I'm a fanyboy of HDM and not DD. I bought a hd-dvd player because I had little money and wanted to get into HDM. After a few weeks I realized that I made a mistake and begged my wife to let me exhange the hd-player and spend more to get a Blu player. Blu had the movies that I was interested in. I did exhange the hd-dvd for the PS3 pre WB annoucement. It was the best decision I made for my HDM experience.
Sounds like a misunderstanding here.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Technology and Future Technology