COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Marilyn Monroe: Classic Nine-Film Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Snowpiercer (Blu-ray)
$14.96
The Doctor and the Devils (Blu-ray)
$11.98
Sleepy Hollow: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Nutty Professor: 50th Anniversary (Blu-ray)
$8.69
The Big Bang Theory: The Complete Seventh Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Arrow: The Complete Second Season (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Justice League: War (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Just Go With It (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WWE: The Best of RAW 2010 (Blu-ray)
$11.48
The Blacklist: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
South Park: The Complete Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Grimm: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Monsters (Blu-ray)
$6.99
The NeverEnding Story (Blu-ray)
$13.89
Phantom of the Paradise (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$28.59
Old 08-01-2011, 04:23 PM   #1

Aug 2009
Homer Glen, Illinois
Default So the best e-readers of 2011..

I asked this question last year because I started researching e-readers and seriously considered buying one. It seems now it is time to buckle down and finally get one, so I am curious what you guys think..

Overall, what's the best e-reader for one to buy? A lot of time has passed since then and I'm sure much has changed.
"No no. No. You don't understand. You can't make a deal with him. Even if you gave him the money he'd still kill you. He's a peculiar man. You could even say that he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that. He's not like you. He's not even like me.... "

Old 08-01-2011, 08:41 PM   #2

Jun 2008
Park City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
I asked this question last year because I started researching e-readers and seriously considered buying one. It seems now it is time to buckle down and finally get one, so I am curious what you guys think..

Overall, what's the best e-reader for one to buy? A lot of time has passed since then and I'm sure much has changed.
I would definitely say go with the Ipad if it's in your price range. The only reason I say this is I was going to buy the kindle but found they have a kindle app already made for the Ipad so I decided to get the ipad instead just because you can buy books through the Kindle store and books save in the Kindle library you can just do so much with that thing it's incredible.

You will more than likely shell out 115.00 for a new Kindle that is Wi-Fi only but for 285.00 more you can get a 16gb wi-fi ipad. One issue to note that is nice with the Kindle is the anti-glare on the screen where as the Ipad has more screen glare like if your reading outside the Kindle is better. If you go with one I probably recommend the Ipad, Kindle or even Nook.
PSN: SOLIDUS911A
Old 08-01-2011, 08:44 PM   #3

Aug 2009
Homer Glen, Illinois

Thanks for the info mate. I am honestly not a fan of Apple or any of their products, so that's a no-no for me.
I might go with something that has a color screen though so I can upload my med books on there as well.

EDIT: I do have a question though. How exactly do the 3G models work? Can I just use the internet on them for free without any sort of billing plan?
"No no. No. You don't understand. You can't make a deal with him. Even if you gave him the money he'd still kill you. He's a peculiar man. You could even say that he has principles. Principles that transcend money or drugs or anything like that. He's not like you. He's not even like me.... "

Last edited by Ragana; 08-01-2011 at 08:51 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 08:59 PM   #4

Jun 2008
Park City, Utah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragana View Post
Thanks for the info mate. I am honestly not a fan of Apple or any of their products, so that's a no-no for me.
I might go with something that has a color screen though so I can upload my med books on there as well.

EDIT: I do have a question though. How exactly do the 3G models work? Can I just use the internet on them for free without any sort of billing plan?
Basically you just pick your carrier either Verizon or AT&T and activate which ever at your choosing then select your data plan. You can also choose not to have a contract and pay as you go for 3g data.
PSN: SOLIDUS911A
Old 08-01-2011, 09:33 PM   #5
Blu-ray Ninja

Aug 2007
AZ

I have seen the nook color, and it is positively gorgeous.

Now this being said there is something to be said about habits in reading, and the difference between a passive/ anti glare screen and an active color screen.

If it's strictly about reading, I would say either a Kindle or classic Nook (my wife uses the Nook 1st gen and is very happy with it).

If you also want to browse the interweb, and get comics/ magazines in color, then the Nook Color becomes interesting imo (a tablet is very nice too, but prices are quite different. $249 for Nook color. $500+ for Tablets).

Time is the School in Which We Learn
Time is the Fire in Which We Burn

Delmore Schwartz (1913-1966)
Old 08-01-2011, 10:08 PM   #6

Feb 2009

Classic Kindle or Nook is the Ereader. It has E-Ink which is made to read in all weather types (think a book) If its dark out, you will need some kind of light. If its sunny out, there is not glare...just like a book.

The Nook Color is a full blown tablet, so there is no "e-ink" technology.

The "3g" as far as the kindle is FREE. There is no charge. It however, can only be used for downloading books and such from kindle whispernet.

The same as for the nook 3g
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 AM   #7

May 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by jstutman View Post
The "3g" as far as the kindle is FREE. There is no charge. It however, can only be used for downloading books and such from kindle whispernet.
You most certain can use it to browse the internet....
Old 08-02-2011, 01:29 PM   #8
Expert Member

Sep 2009
TX

Yep the Kindle does not limit it's 3G access, you can use it for gmail/facebook/wikipedia/ just about anything text based works well.

I've heard good things about the new Nook Simple Touch, but the Kindle 3 is still the top of e-readers that I have used. Supposedly there are a couple of new Kindles coming before Christmas, rumor is one with a touch screen and one without.
Samsung PN58C550
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1020-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70s
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk Monitor 60s
Old 08-02-2011, 09:58 PM   #9
Blu-ray Champion

Jul 2007
The Arctic circle

I'm thinking about getting a nook for my birthday (next week) and I have a question:

Is the kindle better? If so, why?
"Swear to me. Swear to me that everything you said was true!"

Top 3(No Order):
1. The Last of Us
2. Persona 3 FES
3. Resident Evil: Remake
Old 08-04-2011, 01:32 PM   #10
Expert Member

Sep 2009
TX

Just an FYI you can currently get a Factory Refurbished Kindle 3 Wi-Fi for $99 from Amazon.

From when I did a warranty repair on my K2, it is impossible to tell a difference between a refurb and new other than not getting the usb->AC power plug (refurb only comes with usb cable). You can also get the refurb 3G model for $129.99.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listi...on=refurbished
Samsung PN58C550
Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1020-K
Fronts: Polk Monitor 70s
Center: Polk CS2
Rears: Polk Monitor 60s
Old 09-19-2011, 12:18 PM   #11
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elandyll View Post
I have seen the nook color, and it is positively gorgeous.

Now this being said there is something to be said about habits in reading, and the difference between a passive/ anti glare screen and an active color screen.

If it's strictly about reading, I would say either a Kindle or classic Nook (my wife uses the Nook 1st gen and is very happy with it).

If you also want to browse the interweb, and get comics/ magazines in color, then the Nook Color becomes interesting imo (a tablet is very nice too, but prices are quite different. $249 for Nook color. $500+ for Tablets).
It is gorgeous. I had my mother bring one back across the boarder, because B&N won't ship them to Canada. She also bought one.

The Nook Color has a hidden trick to it. You can Root it, and turn it into a full blown Android tablet, that will run 95% of the Apps in the market. You can also overclock it to make it slightly faster than the iPad. I've had mine rooted, running Phiremod, a tweaked version of Cyanogenmod's gingerbread release, for about 3 months now. I chose to overwrite the default Nook OS, but you can also boot Android from a microSD card, and leave the stock OS alone. It's 8 GB, but you can bump the storage to 40 GB with a 32 GB microSD card.

The Rooted Nook is about par with the iPad, only smaller. There are a few issues, but no tablet is 100% bug free. I actually have the Kindle app on my Nook. I use quite a few different reader Apps on it, due to the types of formats out there for eBooks. It's a pretty neat device.

I still use my Sony Touch reader though, for text only books, out in direct sunlight. I use my Nook more as a tablet than an eReader. My mother, on the other hand, uses her Nook Color more for reading, and prefers it due to the ability to adjust the backlight, she finds it easier on her eyes, although her battery doesn't last as long due to the backlight being up high. She also switches between the Sony and the Nook, usually when one needs to be charged.

Both my mother and I went with Sonys about a year ago for our first eReaders because they had more book formats available to them vs. the Kindle, which doesn't do ePub, which is the standard for eBooks. Also, the Sony had a touch screen. We have the original Sony Touch models. Sony is releasing the 3rd incarnation of it this fall with WiFi added, and the option to get all the Harry Potter books pre-loaded. It's not a bad device.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Entertainment > General Chat > Books/eBooks