Best Blu-ray Movie Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, Cheap Blu-ray Movies!
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Hobbit: The Battle of the Five Armies (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Intern (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Death Walks Twice: Two Films By Luciano Ercoli (Blu-ray)
$49.99
Pieces (Blu-ray)
$27.99
Hotel Transylvania 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The X-Files: The Collector's Set (Blu-ray)
$206.03
Do the Right Thing (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Outlander: Season 1 Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Date A Live: Season 2 (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Goosebumps (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Martian (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Breaking Bad: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$59.99
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > Share Your Custom Display Settings

Old 05-02-2011, 09:02 AM   #181

Sep 2010
Northern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hillside Trece View Post
It's often not recommended to use someone else's settings; get yourself a calibration DVD or Blu-ray, or both, and make the adjustments yourself for things like Contrast, Brightness, Color...
You realize the point of this thread is to help users share their display settings?

I agree with you that the best thing to do is to use your own settings, but using others settings as a baseline is a good place to start. It's usually much better than the default settings anyway.
Panasonic 50" TC-P50S60 plasma calibrated
Panasonic 42" TC-P42S2 plasma calibrated
Sony 32" KDL-32EX400 LCD calibrated
HTPC+Sony S5100 to Sony CT150 to Panasonic P55VT60, Phillips BDP3020 to Panasonic P50S60
Old 05-02-2011, 09:52 AM   #182
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
You realize the point of this thread is to help users share their display settings?
Indeed; I didn't even think of that when I made the recommendation...

Quote:
I agree with you that the best thing to do is to use your own settings, but using others settings as a baseline is a good place to start. It's usually much better than the default settings anyway.
Well, there's some truth in that, perhaps; I just think that everyone should begin with their fresh slate and dial in settings based on some sort of disc at least -- if a full-bore pro ISF appointment isn't in the cards (and it wasn't for me) a calibration disc of some kind should be used, if only to get the primary and most important parameters dialed in (Color, Brightness, etc.) which are normally these days close to ideal out of the factory (depending on brand) and need some tweaking via the setup discs.
Old 05-02-2011, 11:46 PM   #183

Sep 2010
Northern NJ

Quote:
Well, there's some truth in that, perhaps; I just think that everyone should begin with their fresh slate and dial in settings based on some sort of disc at least -- if a full-bore pro ISF appointment isn't in the cards (and it wasn't for me) a calibration disc of some kind should be used, if only to get the primary and most important parameters dialed in (Color, Brightness, etc.) which are normally these days close to ideal out of the factory (depending on brand) and need some tweaking via the setup discs.
I agree using a disc is best if you can't get it calibrated with a colorimeter + software. Using it for color/tint usually doesn't get you that accurate (different discs and blue filters don't work that great). It's more to get the Contrast and Brightness dialed in correctly so you don't clip the whites or crush the black level.
HTPC+Sony S5100 to Sony CT150 to Panasonic P55VT60, Phillips BDP3020 to Panasonic P50S60
Old 05-03-2011, 03:46 AM   #184
Special Member

Jan 2008
Toronto

Thanks, fairchild.

I think I remember reading somewhere that if I adjust or even enter the 'Service Menu' to adjust the 'Service Menu Offsets' (as suggested by D-Nice in his post at AVS) that I void the warranty...is this true?

I have adjusted the basic settings as per his recommendations but I'm hesitant to adjust values in the service menu.

Any one have any information on this?

P.S. I am purchasing a calibration disc as well...thanks for the recommendation guys
60" 1080p Samsung F5500 Plasma
Pioneer VSX-1018 AH-K Receiver
Outlaw Audio 7125 Amplifier
Sony PlayStation 4
Polk Audio RTiA7 Fronts
Polk Audio CSiA6 Center
Polk Audio FXiA4 Surrounds (x4)
eD A2-300 Subwoofer
Old 05-03-2011, 04:06 AM   #185
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairchild View Post
I agree using a disc is best if you can't get it calibrated with a colorimeter + software. Using it for color/tint usually doesn't get you that accurate (different discs and blue filters don't work that great). It's more to get the Contrast and Brightness dialed in correctly so you don't clip the whites or crush the black level.
For the color (I have always just left tint at "0") I have found using the THX Optimizer's "box/patch blooming test" useful, and is how I set my color -- you go into that section of the THX Optimizer on any so-equipped DVD and watch the Red and Magenta patches very carefully in a totally dark room while ramping the color control up and down...the Red box should not be "bleeding" or "flashing" which indicates too much color. It should be just red.

Contrast and Brightness are, yes, adjustable via tests so that white and black levels don't get crushed/clipped -- I have found 80% of maximum on most displays to be about correct for contrast, and brightness can be dialed in by using a Pluge Pattern Test on many of these discs, where the instructions are rather simple for determining correct black level...
Old 05-03-2011, 04:14 AM   #186

Sep 2010
Northern NJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Erman_94 View Post
Thanks, fairchild.

I think I remember reading somewhere that if I adjust or even enter the 'Service Menu' to adjust the 'Service Menu Offsets' (as suggested by D-Nice in his post at AVS) that I void the warranty...is this true?

I have adjusted the basic settings as per his recommendations but I'm hesitant to adjust values in the service menu.

Any one have any information on this?

P.S. I am purchasing a calibration disc as well...thanks for the recommendation guys
It will not void your warranty unless you go in and don't know what you are doing and mess things up royally. Since if you then have to contact support and tell them that you were in the SM they might get upset and might in some cases deny support.

I would NOT go in to change the SM until you have good knowledge of what you are doing and take care to write down all the defaults before you change anything.

Honestly, the changes to the SM are not guaranteed to make THAT much of a difference. Those settings are to get the greyscale tuned better to D65 so that the image is closer to reference quality. Those settings are something that a professional calibrator or a DIY calibrator will change while using a colorimeter to get the greyscale tuned.
Old 05-26-2011, 03:51 PM   #187

May 2011

anyone has calibrated/recommended settings for the panasonic TC-L32U3? it's used mainly for pc gaming and movies. thanks!
Old 07-14-2011, 08:51 AM   #188

Jul 2011

Hi ! Has anyone measured the "True Cinema" mode against the "Cinema" mode ?

Just wondering if the "True Cinema" mode has is better and more accurate .
Thanks given by:
vpsenator (06-05-2015)
Old 07-15-2011, 01:53 AM   #189
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredpig View Post
Hi ! Has anyone measured the "True Cinema" mode against the "Cinema" mode ?

Just wondering if the "True Cinema" mode has is better and more accurate .
Don't know about the picture modes, but your user name is indeed intriguing -- does it have any significant meaning?
Old 07-15-2011, 02:13 AM   #190

Jul 2011

Quote:
Don't know about the picture modes, but your user name is indeed intriguing -- does it have any significant meaning?
Lols. The name came about when i was contemplating a name for a character in an online game. And after awhile i randomly thought of my mum's love of pigs(As in the animal and not the consumption of them) plus i was kinda bored at that time. And voila i had a name , and surprisingly up till now no one else has this username for many other forums.
Old 07-15-2011, 04:02 AM   #191
Banned

Nov 2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by boredpig View Post
Lols. The name came about when i was contemplating a name for a character in an online game. And after awhile i randomly thought of my mum's love of pigs(As in the animal and not the consumption of them) plus i was kinda bored at that time. And voila i had a name , and surprisingly up till now no one else has this username for many other forums.
Your mum's love of pigs? I don't want to go near that one...

Actually, there is a member of many online home theater forums who calls himself "Batpig" for some unknown reason, and he even has created a go-to site of his own for Denon receiver owners, to share his setup "expertise" and experiences...that was the closest I could come to finding someone with an even remotely similar screen name to yours...
Old 08-08-2011, 05:00 AM   #192

Aug 2011
Default tc-p42xi n help

anyone tweaked one of these? i've gotten into the service menu and i cant find my original settings. i need the numbers/letters settings, not the +/- off the original settings. i havent been able to find any reference settings for this tv. i realize its not the latest greatest tv, but its what i have and i know it can most likely look better than it does, i have managed to get the panasonic green tint out of it. i need all cut, r cut, b cut, g cut, etc, etc. anything u can give me if u have managed to get the best out of this plasma.
Old 08-08-2011, 06:11 PM   #193

Apr 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by bramy1976 View Post
anyone tweaked one of these? i've gotten into the service menu and i cant find my original settings. i need the numbers/letters settings, not the +/- off the original settings. i havent been able to find any reference settings for this tv. i realize its not the latest greatest tv, but its what i have and i know it can most likely look better than it does, i have managed to get the panasonic green tint out of it. i need all cut, r cut, b cut, g cut, etc, etc. anything u can give me if u have managed to get the best out of this plasma.
Panasonic's default settings have been the same for both SD and HD.

Did you go into the service menu while HD programming was up, or while SD programming was up. If you went n while watching HD programming, go in again with SD programming playing, copy all the settings, then go back in with HD programming playing, and put in the SD settings.

And don't change service menu settings in the future without writting the original settings down.

And if you don't know what you're doing, DON'T into the service menu at all. You can do some serious damage.
ISF Certified Calibrator

Pioneer Kuro Elite Pro-111FD
Pioneer Kuro BDP-320
Old 08-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #194

May 2008
Ohio

Just ordered a Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST30. Anyone have any recommendations about settings?
Festival Director: [translating] That's an endangered species at most. What would be the scientific purpose of killing it?
Steve Zissou: Revenge.

Panasonic VIERA TC-P50ST30 50"
Sony BRAVIA KDL-40V5100 40"
PS3 750GB (original 60GB)
Clearaudio Concept Turntable
Old 08-12-2011, 06:04 AM   #195

Aug 2011
Wink

nevermind, i have it looking better than it ever did, just wanted to compare my settings against what is supposed to be reference settings, i have written down all my adjustments, just cant find them at the moment. i tried d-nice settings and in a totally dark room, it was still too dark, and little contrast. reference kind loses its meaning in that case. service menu, not that complicated. i appreciate the hd/sd settings being the same if i need that though. thanks
Old 08-12-2011, 06:07 AM   #196

Aug 2011

i have it on vivid and turned up the contrast and the brightness down, its like i got my pupils dialated, like in real life.
Old 08-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #197
Banned

Nov 2010

Anyone else daring to run their sets on Vivid?
Old 10-29-2011, 09:53 PM   #198
Banned

Mar 2009
30 Years From Now

anyone has a calibration for ST30? Thanks
Old 10-30-2011, 12:39 AM   #199
Blu-ray Champion

Mar 2008
The empire state

Quote:
Originally Posted by xphoenix23 View Post
anyone has a calibration for ST30? Thanks
Tweaktv.com will
Nothing is true, everything is permitted.
Old 10-30-2011, 06:50 AM   #200
Banned

Mar 2009
30 Years From Now

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman1977 View Post
Tweaktv.com will
Thanks I tried there's and it wasnt good.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Display Theory and Discussion > Share Your Custom Display Settings