COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Other Woman (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Armored Attack! (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Allman Brothers Band: The 1971 Fillmore East Recordings (Blu-ray)
$68.86
Sons of Anarchy: Season Six (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Babette's Feast (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Ace in the Hole (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Okami-San & Her Seven Companions: Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$26.78
Fargo: Season One (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$26.99
HD Aviation: 100 Years of Flight (Blu-ray)
$11.68
Moms' Night Out (Blu-ray)
$16.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Only Lovers Left Alive (Blu-ray)
$23.59

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia

Old 12-25-2011, 03:14 AM   #501
Special Member

Sep 2009
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlandoEastwood View Post
The 1974 film, Godzilla Vs Mechagodzilla. That is the classic Godzilla film for me.
+1 this one
or godzilla vs mothra 1964
Tv: Samsung PN63B590, Insignia NS-WBRDVD2
AVR: Denon 2308ci

My Top 4 movies:
1. legends of the fall
2. once upon a time in america
3. full metal jacket
4. Far and Away
Old 09-05-2012, 09:48 AM   #502

Sep 2012
Default Godzilla BD

Hello Godzilla fans! I have been watching this post for a long time now and I too are looking to buy Godzilla Blu Ray films with at least English subtitles. I think I did find some on this very site and I might be getting these to add to my collection. I did want to share this to you all to see if these are legit. The reviews on them seem ok.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla-Blu-ray/31499/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gojira-Blu-ray/5496/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Destro...4646/#Overview
Old 09-07-2012, 01:55 AM   #503
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andzilla View Post
Hello Godzilla fans! I have been watching this post for a long time now and I too are looking to buy Godzilla Blu Ray films with at least English subtitles. I think I did find some on this very site and I might be getting these to add to my collection. I did want to share this to you all to see if these are legit. The reviews on them seem ok.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Godzilla-Blu-ray/31499/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Gojira-Blu-ray/5496/

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Destro...4646/#Overview
Don't waste your money on the link in bold. The Criterion release (the link above it) is much better. Destroy All Monsters is a good release as well, but is now out of print and more difficult to find at a decent price.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:07 AM   #504

Jul 2012

Toho is very half assed when it comes to releases of their cash cow. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see other Japanese Science Fiction titles on Blu Ray. I so want the original Mothra movie and I dream of a King Kong vs. Godzilla release as well. The Japanese R2 DVD is atrocious and insult to the film. How does most successful Godzilla film continue to get lackluster releases.

Do Toho even bother to put their films to restoration?
Old 09-07-2012, 02:12 AM   #505
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeFilmBuff View Post
Toho is very half assed when it comes to releases of their cash cow. I'm beginning to wonder if we'll ever see other Japanese Science Fiction titles on Blu Ray.
Rumor is that the Toho Blu-rays didn't meet sales expectations.

Quote:
I so want the original Mothra movie
It's out on BD, but you'll have to do something about English subtitles.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/Mothra-Blu-ray/6075/

Quote:
Do Toho even bother to put their films to restoration?
Years ago, they did restorations on their entire library. There should be some info about it somewhere in this thread.
Old 09-07-2012, 02:40 AM   #506

Jul 2012

I cringed looking the price. Reminds me when I payed more than $50 for the Toho R2 Mothra DVD. It seems that Toho's Japanese Sci-Fi library has slim chances of getting future releases on Blu Ray.
Old 09-10-2012, 01:05 AM   #507

Sep 2012

I recently visited Japan this year to visit one of my friends living in Kyoto and we both happened to be huge Godzilla fans. He told me about HD remastered airings that happened a few years ago. Luckily he recorded all the 28 streams in its glorious 1080 resolution. Each of the movies resulted in about 10-15 gigabyte files and he gave me copies of the movies. I did go and buy the Bluray of some godzilla movies like 1984 and Destoroyah, I was suprised that there was about little to no difference in the HD airings and Bluray's, they were the same source. I know the rest of you are waiting for the rest of the series to come out so I just thought I'd upload some pictures so you guys might know what to expect, and yes King Kong vs Godzilla STILL has those overly sharpened yellow looking shots that are apparent in the TOHO releases.

Godzilla vs Hedorah

Godzilla vs Megalon

Godzilla vs Mechagodzilla

King Kong vs Godzilla

these were just prntscrnd from windows media player, ill upload some 1080p images because I just found out VLC player can do this

Last edited by junkerde; 09-10-2012 at 07:07 PM.
Old 10-16-2013, 09:21 PM   #508
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

It's been a year and while there's no real news regarding the other 15 films, Germany did happen to release Ghidorah, the Three-Headed Monster back in August. It is region free. I popped it into my PS3 and it loaded right up. The bonus material is 1080/50i.

Old 10-18-2013, 05:32 PM   #509
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

I have screencaps uploaded here: http://bluscreens.blogspot.com/
Old 10-19-2013, 05:20 AM   #510
Power Member

Aug 2010
France

Awesome!
As always, thank you for your work with your screencaps

(it helped me a lot regarding the Echo Bridge releases a few years/months back )
Old 10-30-2013, 09:42 PM   #511
Blu-ray Champion

Jun 2008
Mexico, OH

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torrente View Post
Awesome!
As always, thank you for your work with your screencaps

(it helped me a lot regarding the Echo Bridge releases a few years/months back )
No problem. My disc drive on my old laptop went kaput and I finally got around to getting a new computer, so I can resume taking screen caps again.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:10 AM   #512

Dec 2008

It's finally happened everyone! All 28 Godzilla films being released this summer on Blu-ray. Not only that, they're re-releasing the 2009-2010 editions with proper Blu-ray transfers, not the transfers used from the HDTV airing.

June for the re-release of the 2009-2010 editions.
July for the rest of the series!

1300 yen cheaper than their original 5900 price! (Priced at 4700 yen)

http://www.toho-a-park.com/godzilla-60th/
Old 04-08-2014, 03:01 AM   #513
Expert Member

Mar 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikallica View Post
It's finally happened everyone! All 28 Godzilla films being released this summer on Blu-ray. Not only that, they're re-releasing the 2009-2010 editions with proper Blu-ray transfers, not the transfers used from the HDTV airing.

June for the re-release of the 2009-2010 editions.
July for the rest of the series!

1300 yen cheaper than their original 5900 price! (Priced at 4700 yen)

http://www.toho-a-park.com/godzilla-60th/
I'm a bit of a noob -- would these have English subtitles and be region-free?
Old 04-08-2014, 05:32 AM   #514

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Race Bannon View Post
I'm a bit of a noob -- would these have English subtitles and be region-free?
No English subtitles (or English dubbed language tracks) however you can play Japanese Blu-rays on North American players as NA and Japan are both considered region "A."
Old 06-28-2014, 05:51 PM   #515

Dec 2011

Has it been confirmed yet whether the new round of releases of the Godzilla films that came out on BD in Japan a few years ago still include those "sparkly" slip covers?
Old 07-09-2014, 02:38 AM   #516
Special Member

Sep 2009
Los Angeles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Partyslammer View Post
Has it been confirmed yet whether the new round of releases of the Godzilla films that came out on BD in Japan a few years ago still include those "sparkly" slip covers?
i would like to know if the new ones are the same transfers as the prior ones too?
Tv: Samsung PN63B590, Insignia NS-WBRDVD2
AVR: Denon 2308ci

My Top 4 movies:
1. legends of the fall
2. once upon a time in america
3. full metal jacket
4. Far and Away
Old 07-17-2014, 03:04 AM   #517

Dec 2011

Surprisingly, my haul of newly released Japanese import BDs of Godzilla movies arrived here in SoCal via Amazon Japan on their street date. I picked up 5 this week, which include:

Godzilla Raids Again, King Kong vs Godzilla, Monster Zero (or Invasion of the Astro Monsters), Son Of Godzilla and Destroy All Monsters. Excepting Godzilla vs the Sea Monster which I bought the US Kraken release months ago, I now have the complete series through Destroy All Monsters on import Japanese BDs.

I will do some viewing and post comments here tomorrow about the AV quality and extras, but as far as the packaging goes....

They all come in the same "sparkly" slipcase covers as the original BDs did from a few years ago which is nice. They also include a wrap around Obi-like paper two-sided color cover which heralds the Japanese theatrical release of the US Godzilla as well as trumping the 60th Anniversary of the original Japanese "Gojira."

All these BDs have the same inserts which include ads for what appears to be a 30(!) BD Box set of all the Godzilla movies including presumably a 2 BD release of Godzilla 2014 all on Nov 11th. There's also a full color ad for other upcoming Godzilla products including a pair of nice looking books, one featuring Godzilla artwork from Yasushi Turisawa and a book from Hobby Japan about various Godzilla garage kit modelers and models from the likes of Yuji Sakai, Atsushi Asai(Kaiju Freaks), Tadao Inuoi and others. There's also a small "Godzilla 60th" sticker included. There's also a pair of text inserts, presumably about BD specs and a post card to probably join Toho's mailing list.

Here's some photos:

Thanks given by:
RudyC (08-07-2014)
Old 07-17-2014, 03:34 AM   #518
Hot Deals Moderator

Aug 2007
Detroit, MI

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyC View Post
i would like to know if the new ones are the same transfers as the prior ones too?
I bet they are.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Partyslammer. I can only imagine how much that 30 BD set is going to cost. I have quite a few of the first run that I'll probably sell off.
Old 07-17-2014, 03:55 AM   #519

Dec 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitSportsFan View Post
I bet they are.

Anyway, thanks for the update, Partyslammer. I can only imagine how much that 30 BD set is going to cost. I have quite a few of the first run that I'll probably sell off.
I agree that the new releases of the titles released a few years ago are unquestionably the same discs except the 60th Anniversary quasi-Obi and inserts are new. I am a bit curious about the first Godzilla though as Toho has been showing a "60th Anniversary remaster" of that movie on one of Japan's HD movie channels which makes me kind of wonder if the new BD has a new transfer.

While it's nice (except for my wallet) that Toho finally released all the Godzilla films on BD in Japan, there's still no word on any eventual release on Blu-ray of more than a dozen other genre non-Godzilla movies like "Varan," "Matango" and "Frankenstein Conquers The World."
Old 07-17-2014, 06:48 PM   #520

Dec 2011

I buzzed through Godzilla Raids Again, Son Of Godzilla and King Kong vs Godzilla last night. Anyone familiar with the 10+ year old dvd releases will find few surprises as far as relative print/transfer quality and extras. They all seem to port the old dvd extras including the 2002-2003 multi-channel audio remixes but they all seem to include at least a relatively new interview with key people involved with specific duties in the movies such as the color storyboard artist on Son Of Godzilla.

Like the older dvd releases, Son of Godzilla looks pretty solid, Godzilla Raids Again a bit soft with little true black levels and KK vs G..... well....

I have to say KK vs Godzilla looks terrible. I am aware that the home video release was original pieced together and "restored" from several incomplete prints including some scenes from I believe a worn 16mm source back in the mid 80's to comprise an "uncut" version which has been the sole source of all Toho's Japanese releases from laserdisc and dvd so it goes without saying this was never going to be a pristine release.

However, it appears some unbelievably heavy-handed digital tinkering went into this HD transfer resulting in a textbook example of the worst of contrast and color boosting, black crush, edge enhancement, halos.... you name it. And due to the fact several film sources of varying quality are used, some scenes suffer desaturated color, frame skips, excessive grain and tons of debris in the frame. Add this all up and this BD looks in places like an upscaled vhs or laserdisc. In fact, a couple of the trailers included on this BD unquestionably *are* bad upscales from a tape source. I have to go back and compare my older Japanese region 2 dvd of this movie, but I'd be surprised if it doesn't trounce this new BD's transfer quality. Ditto for the superior US BD.

More after I watch the other BDs tonight.....
Thanks given by:
RudyC (08-07-2014)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - International > Asia