Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Willow (Blu-ray)
$9.96
28 Days Later / 28 Weeks Later (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Star Trek: The Compendium (Blu-ray)
$24.96
Planet of the Vampires (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Psycho (Blu-ray)
$10.98
Hentai Prince & the Stony Cat: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$32.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.76
The Sopranos: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$199.99
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.92
Warrior (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Lemony Snicket's A Series of Unfortunate Events (Blu-ray)
$8.69
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2012, 06:48 PM   #1
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
407
1
Default Question about Sharp TV.

I came across this TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...uos&cp=1&lp=13) the other day and it grabbed my attention.

I'm in the market for a 3D TV and I'd like it to be around 55". Originally I was thinking about a 55" inch Panasonic Plasma but I've never owned a plasma before so I'm a tad bit iffy about it...then I came across this set and thought for $1500 it seems like a pretty decent deal being a 3D 240hz LED TV and even though its 52" and I was wanting 55" I'm kinda hoping I can overlook the 3" difference (currently I have a 50" Samsung DLP with LED engine).

Sssooo...what do you guys think of this set and is that a good deal?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:57 PM   #2
centauro74 centauro74 is offline
Active Member
 
centauro74's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
New Jersey
14
218
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
I came across this TV (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Sharp+-+...uos&cp=1&lp=13) the other day and it grabbed my attention.

I'm in the market for a 3D TV and I'd like it to be around 55". Originally I was thinking about a 55" inch Panasonic Plasma but I've never owned a plasma before so I'm a tad bit iffy about it...then I came across this set and thought for $1500 it seems like a pretty decent deal being a 3D 240hz LED TV and even though its 52" and I was wanting 55" I'm kinda hoping I can overlook the 3" difference (currently I have a 50" Samsung DLP with LED engine).

Sssooo...what do you guys think of this set and is that a good deal?
To me 52 is to small for 3D, amazon has the panasonic 60" st30 for $1400, better size, price and PQ.
I think is better to go for a bigger size than the 3D functionality, I have a 3D tv and I've watch less than 2 movies in almost a year, you mostly will watch 2D so you'll get a bigger return from getting a bigger tv.
My 2cents.
* Samsung PN64D8000
* Denon AVR-3311CI and Emotiva XPA-3
* Sony PS3, Panasonic BMP-BDT110, Toshiba HD-A2.
* Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers & Center "Gloss Cherry".
* Surrounds FXi-A6; Back Surrounds Aperion Audio Bookshelf "Gloss Cherry".
* Subwoofers - AV123 MFW-15 (2)
* Power Conditioner - APC AV H10
* Logitech Harmony 650, Apple TV
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2012, 08:59 PM   #3
centauro74 centauro74 is offline
Active Member
 
centauro74's Avatar
 
Feb 2008
New Jersey
14
218
Default

If you change your mind in the 3D preference, costco has a good deal on a sharp 60" tv. http://www.costco.com/Common/error.a...e/Product.aspx
* Samsung PN64D8000
* Denon AVR-3311CI and Emotiva XPA-3
* Sony PS3, Panasonic BMP-BDT110, Toshiba HD-A2.
* Aperion Audio Verus Grand Towers & Center "Gloss Cherry".
* Surrounds FXi-A6; Back Surrounds Aperion Audio Bookshelf "Gloss Cherry".
* Subwoofers - AV123 MFW-15 (2)
* Power Conditioner - APC AV H10
* Logitech Harmony 650, Apple TV
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
407
1
Default

I'm wanting a 3D tv for a couple of reasons, one being movies of course and the other is videogaming and there are already several games I want to play in 3D (Crysis 2, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Batman Arkham City) and there can only be more in the future.

As long as I can find a 3D tv for a decent price then I'm gonna keep my focus on it because its nice to get more screen for your $$$ but for me its mainly a matter of the small room this tv is going in to. its that reason that i limited the size to 55" or less. one day I'll pull the plug on something 60+ inches but for now its just more practical to get something a little smaller given the circumstances.

now I've seen Plasma tvs in stores and the PQ is cetainly nice but I've yet to see one properly calibrated. in your honest opinion, is plasma really miles better than current LED/LCD tvs out there when it comes to PQ. another tv I've been looking at is a 55" Panasonic Plasma that comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and a copy of Avatar in 3D for $1800 i believe.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 08:17 PM   #5
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Special Member
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Indiana
45
208
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
I'm wanting a 3D tv for a couple of reasons, one being movies of course and the other is videogaming and there are already several games I want to play in 3D (Crysis 2, Resistance 3, Killzone 3, Motorstorm Apocalypse, Batman Arkham City) and there can only be more in the future.

As long as I can find a 3D tv for a decent price then I'm gonna keep my focus on it because its nice to get more screen for your $$$ but for me its mainly a matter of the small room this tv is going in to. its that reason that i limited the size to 55" or less. one day I'll pull the plug on something 60+ inches but for now its just more practical to get something a little smaller given the circumstances.

now I've seen Plasma tvs in stores and the PQ is cetainly nice but I've yet to see one properly calibrated. in your honest opinion, is plasma really miles better than current LED/LCD tvs out there when it comes to PQ. another tv I've been looking at is a 55" Panasonic Plasma that comes with 2 pairs of 3D glasses and a copy of Avatar in 3D for $1800 i believe.
Plasmas have an advantage over LED/LCDs because of their amazing black levels and consistent viewing angle. With the black levels, plasmas have a deeper set of blacks. Consistent viewing angle means that at any angle, a person gets the exact same picture quality as a person who is sitting in the center, LED/LCDs only have a good picture in the center and then as the viewing angle changes, the picture quality changes. The question I ask you though is, does the room you are putting the tv in have a lot of light? If it does, LED/LCD is the way to go. If it's a darker place, go with a plasma.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:25 PM   #6
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
407
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
The question I ask you though is, does the room you are putting the tv in have a lot of light? If it does, LED/LCD is the way to go. If it's a darker place, go with a plasma.
Hmmm. I live in a two bedroom condo and the TV is going in one of the bedrooms. The couch facing the TV has a window behind it and with the shades closed its only kinda sorta dark, everything in the room is visible so nowhere near pitch black but at night it gets very dark.

I know Plasmas have glass over the screen, is this window gonna show up bad without the room being really dark? On a sunny day with the shades shut I DO notice a slight orange reflection on the screen of my DLP.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:37 PM   #7
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Special Member
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Indiana
45
208
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
Hmmm. I live in a two bedroom condo and the TV is going in one of the bedrooms. The couch facing the TV has a window behind it and with the shades closed its only kinda sorta dark, everything in the room is visible so nowhere near pitch black but at night it gets very dark.

I know Plasmas have glass over the screen, is this window gonna show up bad without the room being really dark? On a sunny day with the shades shut I DO notice a slight orange reflection on the screen of my DLP.
I know from experience DLPs show any refection of light, plasmas have improved over the years with glare reduction, I know with mine we do get a slight glare when all the lights are on, I think no matter what tv you get, you will get a glare on it, but if you shade ur windows, you may not have too much of a problem with glare, you could always get curtains that totally block out the sun, I know a lot of people on here do that
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 09:46 PM   #8
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
407
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by PUsokrJosh305 View Post
I know from experience DLPs show any refection of light, plasmas have improved over the years with glare reduction, I know with mine we do get a slight glare when all the lights are on, I think no matter what tv you get, you will get a glare on it, but if you shade ur windows, you may not have too much of a problem with glare, you could always get curtains that totally block out the sun, I know a lot of people on here do that
Think I'm gonna go with the plasma and just buy better shades.

What about this Panny Plasma (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=2121591). Its the one I mentioned earlier and the one I'm leaning towards.

There is also this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=2201056) and its hundreds cheaper than the one mentioned above but I've heard its not as good and there are some problems this set has with fast moving objects and the picture looking too dark.

What do you think?
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 10:02 PM   #9
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Special Member
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Indiana
45
208
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
Think I'm gonna go with the plasma and just buy better shades.

What about this Panny Plasma (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=2121591). Its the one I mentioned earlier and the one I'm leaning towards.

There is also this one (http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Panasoni...&skuId=2201056) and its hundreds cheaper than the one mentioned above but I've heard its not as good and there are some problems this set has with fast moving objects and the picture looking too dark.

What do you think?
I would go with your first link, the 55" Panasonic plasma with glasses and camera. Tvs are an investment and the more you spend, the more you get out of it, my family has an amazing 65" Panasonic Plasma. It wasn't the greatest on the market at the time, but with a few tweaks, it looks amazing! But that packaged deal looks good to me, if you want to wait till you get more opinions, that's fine too, I'm just putting my two cents into it

Last edited by PUsokrJosh305; 01-04-2012 at 10:04 PM.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 09:58 PM   #10
ObiWanShinobi ObiWanShinobi is offline
Power Member
 
ObiWanShinobi's Avatar
 
Nov 2010
Jackson, MS
407
1
Default

Went with the 55in. panny with the 2 pairs of glasses and avatar 3D. Thanks for the help man and I can't wait to get it rigged up.
  Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
PUsokrJosh305 PUsokrJosh305 is offline
Special Member
 
PUsokrJosh305's Avatar
 
Dec 2009
Indiana
45
208
1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObiWanShinobi View Post
Went with the 55in. panny with the 2 pairs of glasses and avatar 3D. Thanks for the help man and I can't wait to get it rigged up.
No problem dude!! Have fun with your new tv!!
  Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT. The time now is 05:33 AM.