COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Dexter: The Eighth Season (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Poirot: The Complete Cases Collection (Blu-ray)
$198.49
Orange Is the New Black: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Transformers Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$17.24
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Sleepaway Camp (Blu-ray)
$15.99
Ray Donovan: Season One (Blu-ray)
$24.49
X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Marvel Cinematic Universe: Phase One - Avengers Assembled (Blu-ray)
$119.99
Godzilla (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Steven Spielberg Director's Collection (Blu-ray)
$91.99
The Wind Will Carry Us (Blu-ray)
$19.49
The Slumber Party Massacre (Blu-ray)
$13.99
Cold in July (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Cat People (Blu-ray)
$16.99
CSI: Crime Scene Investigation: The Ninth Season (Blu-ray)
$34.33
Titanic 3D (Blu-ray)
$18.49
Hawaii Five-0: The Third Season (Blu-ray)
$26.59
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs

Old 01-22-2012, 10:50 PM   #1
Blu-ray Guru

Jan 2009
The Netherlands
Question Which Monitors To Look At?

Hello,

this might not be exactly the right place to ask, but since it's about LCD-displays, you guys would probably know best about the following:

Currently I have a Samsung SyncMaster 205BW, which is a 16:10 and 1680x1050 LCD-monitor of 20(.5) inches.
It looks really good, good enough in contrast, brightness and colors I guess too, for pictures, videos and games.
It has plenty of controls, but not too much to get you confused and lost in all the settings.
I'm one who knows to stay away from all those extra artificial settings.

Anyway, I've been looking at which one I should get next, as I'm looking for a BIT of an upgrade.
Like it would be nice to have one of Full HD at least, 1920x1080,
except I prefer the a.r. to be 16:10, as I use it for a PC, so that would make the resolution 1920x1200.
Also, one with a somewhat larger diagonal would be nice too, except, for where I have it standing, not more than 24", so 22" would be good too.
And HDMI is not necessary, but it is an option to me, as long as it has DVI at least.

Oh, and I do NOT want it to have this piano-black gloss kinda thing and it should also have a matte screen.
Because I learned this from my Panasonic Plasma, the gloss on the frame and the screen are really annoying with even a little bit of daylight.
So I like a plain matte (not necessarily charcoal, but just flat) black monitor.

And the purpose isn't "Home Theater", but it could definitely be in the direction of some sort of "reference quality".
One of the most important things I do is developing photographs, so that's one thing.
And for the rest I just do other computing, watch videos and play games on the same computer.

Now, the thing is, I have no idea which brand to look at and what monitor is at least as good as mine.
How do I know when I don't use it extensively myself?
I can't just follow the most positive reviews and high prices, or trust one or two brands.
Besides, there are so unbelievably many with only slight differences, it takes forever to sort out all the details.

So would you be able to point me in the right direction or even specifically to some?
I could go with a Samsung (SyncMaster) again, I used to look at a similar one to mine, but with the slightly higher specifications like I pointed out.
But I can't find that back anymore, and they keep changing product(-lineups) a LOT.

And as for the price, I don't have a big budget, but let's say it shouldn't be more than 250 US Dollars?
I don't know what's realistic, but say 200 Euros otherwise.
Not sure if prices for monitors are higher here or somewhere else, plus the difference in currency, etc.

Greetings, and thanks for reading.
"Many great films fail and many shitty movies make a lot of money." - John Landis

BD Wishlist: - Prince of Egypt - Hunchback of Notre Dame - Beverly Hills Cop - Bowfinger - Multiplicity - One Hour Photo - Series: - Over There - Flashpoint - Monk - Friends - My Name Is Earl - Music: - Maiden Rock In Rio - MetallicA S&M - Godsmack Changes - Ramms+ein Berlin - SlipKnoT Disasterpieces - Ozzy At Budokan - Satriani SF
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > LCD TVs