Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Minority Report (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Mad Men: The Final Season, Part 1 (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Woodstock: 3 Days of Peace & Music (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Rudolph the Red-Nosed Reindeer (Blu-ray)
$10.39
Attack on Titan Part 2 (Blu-ray)
$24.98
Masterpiece: Downton Abbey Seasons 1 - 4 (Blu-ray)
$44.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Chucky: The Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$31.99
The Simpsons: The Seventeenth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.96
The Dick Van Dyke Show: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$57.99
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Oblivion (Blu-ray)
$9.99
The Tim Burton Collection (Blu-ray)
$26.49
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 (Blu-ray)
$15.94
Dragon Ball Z: Season 6 (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Neighbors (Blu-ray)
$16.99
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 01-24-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida
Default Tab Tensioned Screen?

Has anyone purchased or had experience with the Tab Tensioned screens from Visual Apex? I'm not completely satisfied with my current 100" electric screen at the moment as it does not stay completely flat and I notice the slightest of waves on bright and panning scenes. I found a 100" on the Visual Apex site but it has a price tag of around $750. I don't have the option of a fixed screen and this continues to frustrate when watching a film. Any feedback would be appreciated friends.
Optoma HD 25e Projector
100" Manual Screen
Sony STRDG820 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
Polk Audio M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers C & SURROUNDS

Last Watched: In The Line Of Fire
Old 01-24-2012, 04:46 PM   #2
Special Member

Sep 2010
Minnesota

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawsfan1975 View Post
Has anyone purchased or had experience with the Tab Tensioned screens from Visual Apex? I'm not completely satisfied with my current 100" electric screen at the moment as it does not stay completely flat and I notice the slightest of waves on bright and panning scenes. I found a 100" on the Visual Apex site but it has a price tag of around $750. I don't have the option of a fixed screen and this continues to frustrate when watching a film. Any feedback would be appreciated friends.
Just checked and the 100 inch fixed frame Visual Apex screen is going for like $339. Are you shopping out the higher end Da-Lite or Draper offerings? Looking for something other than a basic 1.1 gain? I think that $339 dollar deal is probably the way to go unless you would like to step up in to something a little more premium like a Carada.
JVC DLA-RS20U D-ILA Projector || Pioneer BDP-51FD Blu-ray player || Dishnetwork DTVpal DVR || Onkyo PR-SC5508 AV Controller || Mackie HR824 MKII (LCR) , HR624 MKII (rears)
Old 01-24-2012, 04:52 PM   #3
Special Member

Jun 2010
Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flatnate View Post
Just checked and the 100 inch fixed frame Visual Apex screen is going for like $339. Are you shopping out the higher end Da-Lite or Draper offerings? Looking for something other than a basic 1.1 gain? I think that $339 dollar deal is probably the way to go unless you would like to step up in to something a little more premium like a Carada.
No, I'm not looking for a fixed frame. I was looking at the 100" electric that was tensioned.
Optoma HD 25e Projector
100" Manual Screen
Sony STRDG820 Receiver
Samsung BD-F6700
Polk Audio M20's FR & FL
JBL Speakers C & SURROUNDS

Last Watched: In The Line Of Fire
Old 09-21-2012, 06:13 PM   #4

Jan 2009

JawsFan1975,

Did you (or anyone else) ever get the 100" Tab Tensioned screens from Visual Apex? I'm thinking about getting one myself.
Old 09-22-2012, 02:03 AM   #5
Special Member

Jan 2007
Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by filmbuddy View Post
JawsFan1975,

Did you (or anyone else) ever get the 100" Tab Tensioned screens from Visual Apex? I'm thinking about getting one myself.
Hey, we meet again

I have the 120" 16:9 from Visual Apex. It stays perfectly flat. The frame is nice and rigid, and it goes together really easy. Looks nice on the wall too. Look up Vapex Screen on YouTube and watch their assembly video.

Note- you can build a 100" from scratch using 1X4's and blackout cloth. There's instructions and a shopping list on projector central. That's what I upgraded from. Total build cost is about $60 assuming you have the tools. The big thing is a miter saw to cut the 45's for the corners. The home-brewed one works surprisingly well if you do it right. The one from Visual Apex is a lot nicer though.
Old 09-22-2012, 01:45 PM   #6

Jan 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaDon View Post
Hey, we meet again

I have the 120" 16:9 from Visual Apex. It stays perfectly flat. The frame is nice and rigid, and it goes together really easy. Looks nice on the wall too. Look up Vapex Screen on YouTube and watch their assembly video.

Note- you can build a 100" from scratch using 1X4's and blackout cloth. There's instructions and a shopping list on projector central. That's what I upgraded from. Total build cost is about $60 assuming you have the tools. The big thing is a miter saw to cut the 45's for the corners. The home-brewed one works surprisingly well if you do it right. The one from Visual Apex is a lot nicer though.
Yes. Nice to see you again I will most likely go for the package deal that Visual Apex has, but, I just realized the other day that I would need to upgrade my receiver as well since it can't handle 3D Blu-ray, so that put a damper on my budget. Gonna have to wait a little longer...
Old 09-23-2012, 12:09 AM   #7
Special Member

Jan 2007
Texas

Hey, here's another option that might work for you. Get a blu-ray player that has duel HDMI outs. That way you can run picture only to the PJ and use the other output to your existing receiver. It's an option anyway.

Edit: Like this one-

http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-DMP-...blu+ray+player

Might save you money if you otherwise already have a really good AVR.

Last edited by AlaskaDon; 09-23-2012 at 12:24 AM.
Old 09-23-2012, 02:09 PM   #8

Jan 2009

Yeah, but then I will be limited to having just the blu-ray player going to the projector and none of my other components.

I think I'm going to hold off until Black Friday and see if there are any deals to be had. I believe last Black Friday Visual Apex had run some deals.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Displays > Projectors > Projector Screens