Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Farscape: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$52.99
Justified: The Complete Final Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
Mad Max Anthology (Blu-ray)
$54.99
Entourage: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$94.99
John Wick (Blu-ray)
$14.96
A Most Wanted Man (Blu-ray)
$9.96
The Wolverine 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Draft Day (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Autómata (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Bram Stoker's Dracula / Mary Shelley's Frankenstein (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Gattaca (Blu-ray)
$4.96
Malcolm X (Blu-ray)
$9.96
What's your next favorite movie?
Join our movie community to find out

Image from: Life of Pi (2012)

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion

Old 10-03-2011, 07:58 PM   #41

Jan 2008
Juuuuuuuust A Bit Outside....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ender2009 View Post

So obviously some movies were never INTENDED to be watched in HD.
If you saw these films at the theater, you would notice the same things.
Excessive Compulsive Ellipses Abuser
Quote:
Originally Posted by buffetfroid View Post
The chip on your shoulder is bigger than Godard's ego.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 42041 View Post
oh dear its a crazy person
Old 10-03-2011, 08:28 PM   #42

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beta Man View Post
If you saw these films at the theater, you would notice the same things.
Hmm, maybe I wasn't being attentive enough, because I guess technically theaters are beyond 1080p. So I definitely misspoke. But still, do you think that maybe we can see more detail on our HDTV's because the screen is smaller and isn't stretched as much, and we're sitting closer? Or has I been proven we see more in theaters with the high resolution and all? Because I don't at all remember seeing the obvious CG and such while watching the Star Wars prequel trilogy. However, even Revenge of the Sith was six years ago... Maybe my multiple viewings of the DVD's of such movies has made me forget what the theatrical version looked like. Hmm...

Last edited by ender2009; 10-04-2011 at 12:35 AM.
Old 12-19-2011, 02:26 PM   #43

Dec 2011

Thank you! I was worried blu-ray wouldn't look better than DVD on my 37" 1080p tv because some on the internet have said blu-ray only is good 46"+ displays. Thanks for clarifying this.

Last edited by Pacifica1; 12-19-2011 at 04:03 PM.
Old 02-03-2012, 02:09 AM   #44

Feb 2012
Kentucky

So based on the tv chart and the 1080p, is 6-7 feet away from a 32" tv ok?
Old 07-07-2012, 01:57 AM   #45

Jul 2012

Old 05-30-2013, 10:39 PM   #46

May 2013
Default 2D TV + 3D Blu-ray = 3D TV

Hi all, please bare with me I am new here. Thanks

Good day guys, I have a 39inch 100hz, Samsung LED TV (2D) and a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player.
Is there a way I can watch 3D on my TV with the Blu-ray player, or do I need to go out and buy a 3DTV.

Thank you very much
Old 05-30-2013, 11:08 PM   #47

Apr 2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAPelser View Post
Hi all, please bare with me I am new here. Thanks

Good day guys, I have a 39inch 100hz, Samsung LED TV (2D) and a Samsung 3D Blu-ray player.
Is there a way I can watch 3D on my TV with the Blu-ray player, or do I need to go out and buy a 3DTV.

Thank you very much
You will need to buy a 3DTV and Blu-ray 3D disc movies in order to watch 3D at your home.
Old 02-16-2015, 03:08 PM   #48

Feb 2015

Hi guys,new member here,I'm 18,and for a while now,I've been thinking about starting a Bluray collection.I love movies,I respect the art form,and I love having some sort of a physical manifestation of that love of mine.

But to go into some detail as to why I'm asking this.I live in Serbia,and as an 18 year old student of a culinary academy,I don't earn a whole lot yet,so taking a piece of my earnings to fund my hobby is considered quite a bit of money for me.
So taking this into consideration,I would love it if you could give me your opinion on the question in the title.I mean,I'm not gonna lie,I download movies off the internet,but I wonder if any one of them are able to emulate the quality of a Bluray movie.
What made me wonder about this is a copy of ''Prisoners'' I downloaded,great movie,it was about 2,5GB ,and goddamn,it had some seriously good picture quality.But I have to wonder,Bluray discs are 50GB no? So I mean there must be a whole lot more quality in them,plus the 2,5GB movie would be compressed right?

TL;DR: Considering I don't have a whole lot of room for throwin' money,are Blurays a high enough quality,that cannot be reached by ~5GB torrented movies,to be worth the investment?

Also,keep in mind that I have NEVER watched a single Bluray movie,so perhaps the quality from the movies I torrent,even though exelent,may not be even close to the Blurays.

Guys thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read this and I really do appreciate any answer that you may give me,I really hope that there is a striking difference so that I could really have a drive to get the collection going.

Thank you again and have a great day.
Old 02-16-2015, 07:20 PM   #49
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by SerbiBoy View Post
Guys thank you so much for taking time out of your day to read this and I really do appreciate any answer that you may give me,I really hope that there is a striking difference so that I could really have a drive to get the collection going.
Firstly, this probably isn't the best place to describe your on-line activities in such detail!

But at the moment you can't beat Blu-rays (with a few exceptions) for the price. A compressed copy will be just that, you'll lose out on video and sound detail and possibly resolution too. If you can afford to get a player then you can enjoy BDs on a budget, you just have to wait for titles to go on sale and have a bit of patience. A good physical library of movies is a nice thing to have and many members enjoy collecting.

If you get the opportunity try and watch some PIXAR movies or big blockbusters on a friends Blu-ray player on a decent sized HDTV with a surround sound system and you'll be blown away.
"Sometimes it scares me how far away my brain is." DC
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
''I have no idea what Hammer Time is. Or how it differs from regular time." DM
"How many times do I have to buy this thing?" MH
Old 03-21-2015, 06:39 PM   #50

Mar 2015
Default On laptop?

Is it worth it to watch blu-rays on a 15 inch laptop? I do not have a TV, and watch everything on my laptop. There are several movies I am considering buying (like the Hobbit movies) and am considering making the upgrade to blu-ray instead of DVDs. My laptop has a 720 display. I've seen external blu-ray drives for less than $100. Is it worth watching blu-rays on such a small screen?

I don't have any immediate plans to get a TV, but I also don't want to spend lots of money on DVDs that I might want to replace down the line. I've watched some digital movies on my 7 inch kindle and I can tell a huge difference compared to the DVDs I watch on my laptop. I do recognize that part of that is because the display on the kindle is so much better, but I don't know how much of that is because the movie is HD.
Old 03-21-2015, 06:49 PM   #51
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by mollyfields View Post
Is it worth it to watch blu-rays on a 15 inch laptop? I do not have a TV, and watch everything on my laptop. There are several movies I am considering buying (like the Hobbit movies) and am considering making the upgrade to blu-ray instead of DVDs. My laptop has a 720 display. I've seen external blu-ray drives for less than $100. Is it worth watching blu-rays on such a small screen?

I don't have any immediate plans to get a TV, but I also don't want to spend lots of money on DVDs that I might want to replace down the line. I've watched some digital movies on my 7 inch kindle and I can tell a huge difference compared to the DVDs I watch on my laptop. I do recognize that part of that is because the display on the kindle is so much better, but I don't know how much of that is because the movie is HD.
First I'd check to see if your laptop can play BD movies, before investing and secondly I'd download some trailers in 1080p HD and compare them with 480p trailers to see the difference. The smaller screen isn't ideal but if you prefer HD on your Kindle then you'll love BD movies.

But I'd check your laptop to see if it can play BDs first. I think there are a few plug-ins that test your PC to see if it can handle the HD.
"Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." AE
Old 03-22-2015, 12:30 AM   #52

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by chip75 View Post
First I'd check to see if your laptop can play BD movies, before investing and secondly I'd download some trailers in 1080p HD and compare them with 480p trailers to see the difference. The smaller screen isn't ideal but if you prefer HD on your Kindle then you'll love BD movies.

But I'd check your laptop to see if it can play BDs first. I think there are a few plug-ins that test your PC to see if it can handle the HD.
Thank you! It hadn't occurred to me that my laptop wouldn't be able to play BDs with the proper drive. I'll definitely look into it, and follow your advice about the trailers. And I may be buying a new laptop. If I do, I'll definitely get the 1080 display.

Last edited by mollyfields; 03-22-2015 at 12:34 AM.
Old 03-22-2015, 05:07 PM   #53
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
Thank you! It hadn't occurred to me that my laptop wouldn't be able to play BDs with the proper drive. I'll definitely look into it, and follow your advice about the trailers. And I may be buying a new laptop. If I do, I'll definitely get the 1080 display.
Even with a decently powered laptop, Blu-ray movie playback can be a hassle, there's very little free software to playback movies and the retail software needs repurchasing periodically. It's a long way from the simplicity of playing back a DVD on your PC or laptop.

What I would also suggest, is that if you're interested in HD movies, start buying a few combo packs with BDs, DVDs and digital copies. If you're in the US the UltraViolet providers are pretty good and you'll have HD copies of your movies (and Blu-ray ones ready if you eventually upgrade) between your laptop and Kindle you should sorted. The laptop should be able to playback or stream the digital copies better than playing BDs back, as they'll take up less system resources.
Old 03-22-2015, 07:32 PM   #54
Blu-ray Ninja

Oct 2012
New York

Quote:
Even with a decently powered laptop, Blu-ray movie playback can be a hassle, there's very little free software to playback movies and the retail software needs repurchasing periodically.
I use VLC to play Blu-ray Discs on my computer, it works quite well. Due to legal reasons, it doesn't ship with the capability, but you can enable it by installing two things, both of which are listed on this site:

http://www.videolan.org/developers/libbluray.html

Look for this on that site
Quote:
People interested in AACS technologies should have a look at libaacs.
People interested in BD+ technologies should have a look at libbdplus.
Once everything is installed correctly, you can play BDs on a computer, provided you have a BD reader for your computer.
The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001.
What is real? How do you define 'real'? If you're talking about what you can feel, what you can smell, what you can taste and see, then 'real' is simply electrical signals interpreted by your brain.
3263827 | Jakku | From out of the shadows, she walks like a dream
Thanks given by:
chip75 (03-22-2015)
Old 03-22-2015, 11:19 PM   #55
Blu-ray Ninja

Apr 2011
England

Quote:

You are really missing out not watching on a bigger screen with bluray. Why don't you just buy a cheap 32 inch tv and sit around six feet from it? Last years models are quite cheap.
Old 03-25-2015, 01:43 PM   #56

Mar 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steedeel View Post
You are really missing out not watching on a bigger screen with bluray. Why don't you just buy a cheap 32 inch tv and sit around six feet from it? Last years models are quite cheap.
I just don't like the idea of something that big taking up space in my apartment when I'll only use it 2-4 times a month. TVs are so ugly, where I can put my laptop away. I've been thinking about it though, since playing blu rays on even a new laptop will not be as easy as I thought it would. Then I would need to get a stand that rolls, so I can move it closer. When I used to watch my 32 inch TV from 12 feet away compared to my 15 inch laptop one foot away, I preferred my laptop. It was also easier to plug my headphones in to the laptop.

It's all more complicated and much more costly than I thought it would be. But watching a DVD recently compared to watching the trailer for it on my Kindle, I noticed a huge difference in quality. So I'm thinking about it.
Old 03-25-2015, 02:50 PM   #57
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I just don't like the idea of something that big taking up space in my apartment when I'll only use it 2-4 times a month. TVs are so ugly, where I can put my laptop away. I've been thinking about it though, since playing blu rays on even a new laptop will not be as easy as I thought it would. Then I would need to get a stand that rolls, so I can move it closer. When I used to watch my 32 inch TV from 12 feet away compared to my 15 inch laptop one foot away, I preferred my laptop. It was also easier to plug my headphones in to the laptop.

It's all more complicated and much more costly than I thought it would be. But watching a DVD recently compared to watching the trailer for it on my Kindle, I noticed a huge difference in quality. So I'm thinking about it.
You're not going to get the benefit of HD from 15 feet away, you'd need to be about 5 foot away to see the difference in resolution, that's why you probably enjoyed watching movies more on your closer laptop!

HD is certainly worth purchasing, even if you just buy movies from Amazon Instants and buy the bigger size Fire HD, you'll enjoy the movies more. Blu-ray playback on a laptop isn't impossible, but unless you go and buy a laptop designed for it you can run into problems, like I mentioned. Another option is to buy a portable BD player with screen, they'd be a good compromise between a laptop and television.
Old 03-25-2015, 05:19 PM   #58
Blu-ray Prince

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:

wall mount the TV.... a 60 inch screen is much less noticeable when you have it on the wall and TV are UBER thin these days. A good flush mount kit and you're good
Old 03-25-2015, 08:43 PM   #59

Mar 2015

Quote:
You're not going to get the benefit of HD from 15 feet away, you'd need to be about 5 foot away to see the difference in resolution, that's why you probably enjoyed watching movies more on your closer laptop!

HD is certainly worth purchasing, even if you just buy movies from Amazon Instants and buy the bigger size Fire HD, you'll enjoy the movies more. Blu-ray playback on a laptop isn't impossible, but unless you go and buy a laptop designed for it you can run into problems, like I mentioned. Another option is to buy a portable BD player with screen, they'd be a good compromise between a laptop and television.
I looked into buying digital movies; that would be so simple. They can't be downloaded to laptops, and my kindle doesn't have much storage. So I would need an internet connection to watch.

I'm really thinking I'm going to need to suck it up and buy a TV. If I moved it about 7 feet away when watching, would a 32 inch be a good size for watching blu rays? That size would fit in my tiny living room and be easy to move. Or I could get a portable BD player. A 10 one costs as much as a 32 inch TV!

Thank you for all your help!
Old 03-25-2015, 09:38 PM   #60
Blu-ray Duke

Oct 2010
Wales

Quote:
I looked into buying digital movies; that would be so simple. They can't be downloaded to laptops, and my kindle doesn't have much storage. So I would need an internet connection to watch.

I'm really thinking I'm going to need to suck it up and buy a TV. If I moved it about 7 feet away when watching, would a 32 inch be a good size for watching blu rays? That size would fit in my tiny living room and be easy to move. Or I could get a portable BD player. A 10 one costs as much as a 32 inch TV!

Thank you for all your help!
The portable players are expensive! You'd still be a little bit too far away from a 32'' at 7 feet, but it wouldn't spoil your enjoyment too much. It's about 4 foot for a 32'' and you'd need a 52'' for seven feet (although guides do vary!). A lot of people compromise on space and TV costs, or have to sit further away than recommended. Just try and demo some 32'' models locally, to see what they're like from 7 feet, but avoid looking at the larger screens as it will make the 32'' models look like a postage stamp.

I think you can download HD movies with iTunes, but you'd need access to the internet somewhere, and you'd need a decent laptop to play them back, so you're back where you started.

I'd go for a TV, just try and buy the largest 1080p model you can afford from a reputable brand. I have a 32'' Samsung it looks excellent, it wasn't too expensive either. Blu-rays look great and I sit quite close to it as I use it as a monitor, but I do watch DVDs on it from about 10 feet away and haven't had any problems.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion