COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
All That Heaven Allows (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Love Streams (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Tie Me Up! Tie Me Down! (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Operation Petticoat (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug (Blu-ray)
$19.96
The Walking Dead: The Complete Fourth Season (Blu-ray)
$29.99
The Adventures of Ichabod and Mr. Toad / Fun and Fancy Free (Blu-ray)
$25.89
The East (Blu-ray)
$6.99
Shame (Blu-ray)
$7.99
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Three Colors Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
Ghostbusters Limited Edition Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$89.96
The Fault in Our Stars (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Rick Steves: Italy's Countryside 2000-2014 (Blu-ray)
$12.49
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$74.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 (Blu-ray)
$18.96
Elvis: That's the Way It Is (Blu-ray)
$19.59
The Qatsi Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$39.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 3D (Blu-ray)
$14.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software

Old 12-19-2011, 10:33 AM   #41
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
London ON Canada
Send a message via MSN to lucv13
Canada

Well I think I'm going to give XBMC a try after I put together the new system next weekend, it looks interesting...
Old 12-19-2011, 09:00 PM   #42
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucv13 View Post
Well I think I'm going to give XBMC a try after I put together the new system next weekend, it looks interesting...
If they could just sort out the slight user unfriendliness when initially setting it up, XBMC would be my recommendation for anyone with an HTPC (I'm still a Dharma user, but I believe they've done some work on it in Eden). It's an absolute staple of my HTPC and one of the few programs I've tried that actually enhances the experience of watching media through a computer on your TV.

Now they've just got to get that HD audio system working, so all the bitstreamers can get their... stream... on?
Old 12-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #43
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
London ON Canada
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post
If they could just sort out the slight user unfriendliness when initially setting it up, XBMC would be my recommendation for anyone with an HTPC (I'm still a Dharma user, but I believe they've done some work on it in Eden). It's an absolute staple of my HTPC and one of the few programs I've tried that actually enhances the experience of watching media through a computer on your TV.

Now they've just got to get that HD audio system working, so all the bitstreamers can get their... stream... on?
I'm trying to absorb as much information as I can while at work, am happy to see that I can modify XBMC to use the file naming convention I've used for years. I see that I can integrate the use of my harmony remote and can opt to display XBMC directly to the tv and not have to clone my desktop. Have been using MCE since it's release back in 04/05 along with MyMovies but I really like what I'm seeing with XBMC, as long as it doesn't become too complicated - I don't like complicated, I think it's an age thing Well I'm off for 10 days starting Friday so that's how long XBMC has to impress me...
Old 12-22-2011, 08:45 PM   #44
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

I wanted to essentially add thumbnails for all my blu-ray movies. I'm not going to host the actual copy of the movie, but I want the thumbnails so I can browse what I do have instead of getting up and looking myself

Thanks for any help guys
Breaking Bad complete series Ultraviolet code 30$ PM ME!
MAIN
Samsung 52" 60 hz
Denon AVR 890
Polk 5.1 RM85
PS3 320GB Move bundle
OPPO-80 Region Free
Harmony One Remote

Last edited by silversnake; 12-23-2011 at 06:56 AM.
Old 12-23-2011, 08:59 PM   #45
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
I wanted to essentially add thumbnails for all my blu-ray movies. I'm not going to host the actual copy of the movie, but I want the thumbnails so I can browse what I do have instead of getting up and looking myself

Thanks for any help guys
Could you define what you mean by "thumbnails"? Natural instinct would suggest you want small screengrabs of each movie, but your description makes it sound like you just want posters so you can browse your offline movies in XBMC.

If it's the latter, XBMC has support for stub files in the latest version (Eden). Just create a blank text file for each movie with the filename "Movie Name (Year).type.disc" e.g "The Dark Knight (2008).bluray.disc" and it'll add to your library with poster, fanart etc. and prompt you for a disc when you select it.

Have a read of this for more info.
Old 12-25-2011, 06:33 AM   #46
Blu-ray Champion

Feb 2008
Montreal

Quote:
Originally Posted by aequalszero View Post
Could you define what you mean by "thumbnails"? Natural instinct would suggest you want small screengrabs of each movie, but your description makes it sound like you just want posters so you can browse your offline movies in XBMC.

If it's the latter, XBMC has support for stub files in the latest version (Eden). Just create a blank text file for each movie with the filename "Movie Name (Year).type.disc" e.g "The Dark Knight (2008).bluray.disc" and it'll add to your library with poster, fanart etc. and prompt you for a disc when you select it.

Have a read of this for more info.
Yes it was the latter and thanks for the link, it's exactly what I was talking about ! I'll have to try and see if it works. Thanks buddy!
Breaking Bad complete series Ultraviolet code 30$ PM ME!
MAIN
Samsung 52" 60 hz
Denon AVR 890
Polk 5.1 RM85
PS3 320GB Move bundle
OPPO-80 Region Free
Harmony One Remote
Old 12-25-2011, 09:53 PM   #47
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by silversnake View Post
Yes it was the latter and thanks for the link, it's exactly what I was talking about ! I'll have to try and see if it works. Thanks buddy!
No probs - just bear in mind you'll need an Eden release of XBMC which until yesterday was only available as a nightly release, but is now in official Beta!

Last edited by aequalszero; 12-25-2011 at 09:58 PM.
Old 12-25-2011, 11:27 PM   #48
Blu-ray Guru

Jun 2008
London ON Canada
Canada

Merry Christmas

Well I'm happy to say that I put together the system Friday overnight without too many issues, fortunately there were no hardware conflicts only a couple of driver issues with the Asus disk. Once I managed to load the LAN drivers though, I just went to their website for the rest. Did a few updates loaded Avast and then came here for XBMC.

I downloaded the stable XBMC, Dharma I think it's called and everything was going fine. About halfway through loading my TV programs the IMDB and TVDB scrapers just stopped working, played around for a few hours trying to figure it out and was about to give up and just go with MCE when I saw the post for EDEN, so I say to my self - Self WTH let's give it a shot.

I uninstalled Dharma and loaded the beta. Eden swept through my drives and the scrapers worked flawlessly through about 4000 tv episodes. I decided to load the Icefilms addon and everything went smoothly.

I am quite pleased with the program and the HTPC is running like a dream...
Old 12-25-2011, 11:34 PM   #49

Sep 2010
Default Simple Question

Before I even get to using a server, which program do you all prefer to back up the discs in the first place? Thanks in advance.
Old 01-10-2012, 04:01 PM   #50
Power Member

May 2009
The Fissure of Woe

You can also use a program called Ember Media Manager. It has not been updated for a while however it still works. You can load your movies/tv shows into it and then customize the poster or the movie, fan art, thumbnails etc...
You can also customize the movie studio, for example all my James Bond movies, they show 007 as the logo for the movie company. Any DC or Marvel superhero movie, shows their logos instead of the movie company.
Once you have scanned and setup all your movies, it will download files into the folder of each movie and those files stay in there. So for example if you get a new HTPC you don't have to re scrap the movies again.
You just add the folders to xbmc and ask it to scan for new content. It will ask you that there is local content and to ignore and load from the internet however you can tell it no and then it will load your movies the way you set them up.

I've also been using XBMC for a couple of years now and I load it on all computers at home.
There are stories of young men stopping to gaze longingly at statues of the beautiful goddesses, only to forget themselves and die of thirst while simply looking on.
Old 01-13-2012, 09:16 PM   #51
Special Member

Oct 2011
UK

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxterduke View Post
You can also use a program called Ember Media Manager. It has not been updated for a while however it still works.
[Show spoiler]You can load your movies/tv shows into it and then customize the poster or the movie, fan art, thumbnails etc...
You can also customize the movie studio, for example all my James Bond movies, they show 007 as the logo for the movie company. Any DC or Marvel superhero movie, shows their logos instead of the movie company.
Once you have scanned and setup all your movies, it will download files into the folder of each movie and those files stay in there. So for example if you get a new HTPC you don't have to re scrap the movies again.
You just add the folders to xbmc and ask it to scan for new content. It will ask you that there is local content and to ignore and load from the internet however you can tell it no and then it will load your movies the way you set them up.

I've also been using XBMC for a couple of years now and I load it on all computers at home.
It's very good, although I use the slightly modified Ember Revisited (EMM-r) which continued for a while once development on Ember stopped.

It looks like someone new has picked up the project recently (XBMC forum) so there may be a fully fledged 'new' version soon.
Old 01-25-2012, 05:55 PM   #52
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Well, I've been using Windows Media Center with the Media Browser add on for the last two years and love it. Very easy to set up and easy to customize to one of many different configurations. Its in a media center PC case stacked with my other components - operates off remote, on/off quickly from sleep mode. I love it.

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

As far as space goes it all depends on how you want your films stored. For my media center PC I'm fine with compressing into a 720P MP4 file (about 3-4 gigs per film). The movies look as good as broadcast HD which is more than acceptable to the wife and kids (or an impulse watch for me).
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Old 01-26-2012, 04:36 AM   #53

Oct 2009
Colorado Springs

I have been running XBMC for few months now and I **LOVE** it.

I got it running on HTPC + couple other computers and also on jailbroken apple TV - best $90 I ever spent on apple product

If you have android phone make sure you get the official XBMC remote app, it's awesome.

Last thing - I use unraid as my file server and it works great with XBMC. My only gripe is the lack of central database, I have to manually update the library on each device. The best way to do it is to use on PC to manage the library and when you're done just export the library in separate files via the Video menu. Then when you hit Update library on other devices it will just pull all the info from your file server.
Old 01-26-2012, 05:38 AM   #54

Dec 2009
Folsom, CA
Send a message via AIM to seedubxj

There is a plugin that can auto update at an interval of your choosing. Search xbmc.org forums.
PSN: seedubxj

AVR: Onkyo TX-SR507
Blu Ray Player: Sony BDP-S360
Network Streaming: WDTV Live Media Player w/ 1TB RAID Drive
Speakers: Polk Monitor 50 Fronts, CS2 Center, FXi3 Surrounds
Subwoofer: Velodyne VRP-10
Remote Control: Harmony One
Old 01-26-2012, 01:14 PM   #55

Oct 2009
Colorado Springs

Quote:
Originally Posted by seedubxj View Post
There is a plugin that can auto update at an interval of your choosing. Search xbmc.org forums.
I know, my problem is that I would add new movie to my server and then I immediately want to watch it in my bedroom, so I have to manually update it. Also not all my devices are always on.

But it's a minor gripe and it's greatly alleviated by exporting the library to my file server, overall I LOVE XBMC.
Old 02-06-2012, 04:34 AM   #56
philipjames

Default Re:

Thanks a lot for sharing.These movies are really great entertaining.
Old 02-06-2012, 05:11 AM   #57
jonathan2340

I just love these all games and play for long time. Its has lots of fun.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:55 AM   #58
Blu-ray Samurai

Mar 2011
Nouvelle-Écosse, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by arcadeforest View Post
Well, I've been using Windows Media Center with the Media Browser add on for the last two years and love it. Very easy to set up and easy to customize to one of many different configurations. Its in a media center PC case stacked with my other components - operates off remote, on/off quickly from sleep mode. I love it.

http://www.mediabrowser.tv/

As far as space goes it all depends on how you want your films stored. For my media center PC I'm fine with compressing into a 720P MP4 file (about 3-4 gigs per film). The movies look as good as broadcast HD which is more than acceptable to the wife and kids (or an impulse watch for me).
WMC is surprisingly awesome isn't it? I was intitally a bit miffed to have to use it, but then I found out the customisation community and all the great plugins you can use with it. It's also the only HTPC media program to pick up my IPTV box correctly.
Old 03-01-2012, 01:52 PM   #59

Feb 2012

Anyone a former Media Portal user? I used XBMC for the original xbox and have been using Mediaportal ever since. I know MP pretty well but it does have a pretty high learning curve for newbies. My PC is getting a bit slow for MP so I cant update it like I wish I could, so im testing XBMC on my laptop in preparation for my next build.

I tried the newest eden XBMC and it blows MP away in the UI and skin department. But MP still seems much more powerful. Am I correct with this?
Old 03-20-2012, 02:32 AM   #60
Blu-ray Samurai

Apr 2010
Sherwood Forest

Quote:
Originally Posted by BohemianGraham View Post
WMC is surprisingly awesome isn't it? I was intitally a bit miffed to have to use it, but then I found out the customisation community and all the great plugins you can use with it. It's also the only HTPC media program to pick up my IPTV box correctly.
For what I use it for I really love the Mediabrowser plugin within Windows MediaCenter. So easy to set up and use.
Lloyd C. Cramden: Flint, How do you find time to read all these books?
Derek Flint: No, no, no, sir, I wrote those.

In Like Flint (1967)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray PCs, Laptops, Drives, Media and Software