Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Hannibal: Season Two (Blu-ray)
$15.00
Congo (Blu-ray)
$8.69
Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$79.99
Dragon Ball Z: Battle of Gods (Blu-ray)
$17.99
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 3D (Blu-ray)
$32.99
The Amazing Spider-Man 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Scanners (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Complete Jacques Tati (Blu-ray)
$98.45
Ace Ventura: Pet Detective / Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (Blu-ray)
$9.99
How to Train Your Dragon 2 (Blu-ray)
$19.98
Gravity 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99
America: Imagine the World Without Her (Blu-ray)
$13.28
Star Trek: The Next Generation Motion Picture Collection (Blu-ray)
$18.21
Dragon Ball Z: Season 7 (Blu-ray)
$17.98
Kung Fu Panda 2 (Blu-ray)
$7.88
Tommy Boy (Blu-ray)
$4.88
COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED
Old 11-10-2009, 02:43 AM   #1

Nov 2009
Florida, USA
Send a message via MSN to myaddow
Default Region Free?

Quick couple of questions:

1. Do region free BD play on any Blu-Ray player?

2. Is the PS3 region free?

Sorry if I keep asking stupid questions...I recently started collecting Blu-Ray movies (even though I dont have any type of Blu-Ray player lol)
Old 11-10-2009, 05:54 AM   #2
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia

The PS3 plays discs of the specific region it's sold in (for Blu-ray there are Regions A, B, or C, and for DVD, regions 1,2,3,4,5 etc). So for example a US PS3 plays region A Blu-rays, and region 1 DVDs. The PS3 also plays region free discs, except that almost all* Region A PS3's can't play content that's recorded in 50Hz (50i) on some region free discs made for Europe. Most film Blu-ray discs are recorded in 24 frames per second (24p) and many if not most "live" event programs are recorded in 60i (or transcoded from 50i into 60i) which play in all PS3s.
NTSC DVDs are 60i and PAL DVDs are 50i

*(Hong Kong PS3's can play 50i discs too, but they have to be region A BDs, region 3 DVDs, or free)

Region A players should play 24p and 60i content from a region free disc just like the A PS3, and there are Region A players that play any content from a region free disc, including 50i content, like the Region A Oppo player., etc.

Region B players should play 24p, 60i, and 50i from region free discs.

FYI Blu-ray 3 regions break down:

Region A: America, Japan, Corea, South East Asia
Region B: Grøenland, Europa, Africa, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand
Region C: China, India, Russia, + a few others remaining in Asia

here's a map that shows it even better:

DVD regions on the other hand are divided in numerical regions, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0

But at least regions 0, 2, 3, and 4 have DVDs released both in NTSC standards (60Hz/60i)and in PAL standards (50Hz/50i) so you could subdivide those regions into:

Region 0 NTSC
Region 0 PAL

Region 2 NTSC
Region 2 PAL

Region 3 NTSC
Region 3 PAL

Region 4 NTSC
Region 4 PAL
Old 11-10-2009, 04:10 PM   #3

Feb 2008
FL
-

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
The PS3 plays discs of the specific region

<Snip>

Region 4 NTSC
Region 4 PAL
Is this stickied anywhere? If not it should be - excellently constructed info!
Old 11-12-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Nov 2009
Toronto,ON

i heard that the ps3 is region free.
maybe i heard wrong but i have a jap ps3 and i've played euro games, us games, and canadian games
Old 11-12-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Blu-ray Count

Oct 2007
Metropolis

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX_VRT View Post
i heard that the ps3 is region free.
maybe i heard wrong but i have a jap ps3 and i've played euro games, us games, and canadian games
Videogames are region-free and considered separate from movies and videos.
Old 11-13-2009, 07:57 AM   #6

Nov 2009
Toronto,ON

so video games are region free, what about movies,
i have a jap ps3 ( as said before ) and i bought Transformers 2 disc bd copy and it works,
i don't know if its different to blu ray players, but i think the ps3 is region free throughout.
Old 01-03-2010, 05:59 PM   #7

Oct 2009

OK, I buy a PS3 in Mexico. It is region A on BD, but would it be R4 on DVD?
Old 01-03-2010, 06:35 PM   #8
Banned

Oct 2006
Kentwood, Michigan
Send a message via Yahoo to GGX

The PS3 is NOT region free for movies. If the movie itself is region free then it will play in any PS3 regardless of where the PS3 was purchased.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:09 PM   #9

Jun 2011
Default Perhaps a dumb question about regions and NTSC and Pal

OK, first off I've only had a Blu-Ray player since last Christmas and I can't seem to find an answer about this.

Well first off, I just have a normal USA region Blu-Ray player connected to an old-school tv (yup non HD, budget won't allow it at this time).

Anyways here are the questions.

1. Are Blu-Ray discs that are multi-region also contain both NTSC and Pal?
2. If I buy a Multi-Region Blu-Ray will it play on my USA region player? And if so how, what I mean doesn't Britain use PAL, so how can a PAL disc play on my player?
Old 08-19-2011, 08:23 PM   #10
Blu-ray reviewer

Jul 2007
X
-
-

Hi,

a) If you purchase a Blu-ray disc that is confirmed to be Region-Free, you will be able to access the main feature on your North American player -- unless the main feature is encoded in 1080/50i. All 1080p and 720p region-free content you can play in North America without a problem.

b)To play a region-free disc that is encoded in 1080/50i, you actually have to have a Region-Free player that converts 1080/50i to 1080/60i, as 1080/50i is not officially supported in North America. There are a couple of Region-A players that do on-board conversion, but they are not the standard. Therefore, we specifically warn our readers in the reviews to be very careful when a region-free release also happens to be encoded in 1080/50i. Most such releases happen to be documentaries, sports programs, live concerts, some independent films, etc.

c) Special features - a region-free disc does not guarantee that the special features on it, not the main feature, will also automatically be playable on Region-A players in North America. If they are encoded in NTSC, then there is no problem. However, if they are encoded in PAL, there is a problem, and you won't be able to access them. Again, we clarify in our reviews when the special features can be played on region-A players and when they cannot be played. Special features encoded in 1080/50i also cannot be played.

Obviously, if the special features on a region-free disc are encoded in 1080p or 720p then there is no problem, as both are universally supported in Region-A territories.

d) Lastly, you could have a region-free disc whose main menu is encoded in 1080/50i or PAL. This automatically makes it unplayable in North America, unless you have one of those few players I mentioned earlier that could do on-board conversions - 1080/50i to 1080/60i and PAL to NTSC. Again, if such a region-free disc is reviewed, we would specifically clarify that its main menu is problematic.

e) PAL and NTSC are both substitutes for standard definition (different formats). Blu-ray is a high-definition format.

Standard definition territories are broken into Regions 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, (7 and 8).
High definition territories are broken into Regions A, B, C.

Pro-B

Last edited by pro-bassoonist; 08-19-2011 at 08:35 PM.
Old 08-19-2011, 08:44 PM   #11
Site Manager

Aug 2006
USiberia
Default Down memory lane

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deciazulado View Post
Blu-ray regions break down into this:

Region A: America, Japan, Corea, South East Asia
Region B: Grøenland, Europa, Africa, Middle East, Australia, New Zealand
Region C: China, India, Russia, + a few others remaining in Asia

Here's a map that shows it even better:

Some Blu-rays Discs can be region free or bi-region too and have the two or three region symbols (A B C) on the cover

DVD regions on the other hand are divided in numerical regions, 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,0

But at least regions 0, 2, 3, and 4 have DVDs released both in NTSC standards and in PAL standards usually depending on the countries so you could subdivide those regions into:

Region 0 NTSC
Region 0 PAL

Region 2 NTSC (Japan)
Region 2 PAL (Europe)

Region 3 NTSC
Region 3 PAL

Region 4 NTSC (América)
Region 4 PAL (Australia)
Old 08-20-2011, 03:42 PM   #12
Blu-ray Baron

Jul 2007
Montreal, Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by DouglasRobert View Post
1. Are Blu-Ray discs that are multi-region also contain both NTSC and Pal?
no they will have what they have

Quote:
2. If I buy a Multi-Region Blu-Ray will it play on my USA region player? And if so how, what I mean doesn't Britain use PAL, so how can a PAL disc play on my player?
tougher question.

PAL NTSC are TV standards that where created because of the difference in electricity (the 25p/30p-50i/60i).

Usualy for the main content which is the film and 24p it is not an issue. But for the extra content which might have been recorded with a video camera it is a different story. If your player can change the output or you have a display that can do PAL then you could be OK but if not then at some point you will get a PAL warning or blank screen.
Old 08-21-2011, 10:43 PM   #13
Special Member

Feb 2008
Region B

Quote:
Originally Posted by pro-bassoonist View Post
b)To play a region-free disc that is encoded in 1080/50i, you actually have to have a Region-Free player that converts 1080/50i to 1080/60i, as 1080/50i is not officially supported in North America.
If you have a region free disc (ie. Region ABC) that is encoded at 1080/50i you don't need a region free player to play it, just one that can play back 1080/50i (and convert to 60i if you TV doesn't accept 50i - such as one of the Samsung models in the link below).

See:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/blu-ray-pla...atibility.html
Old 09-07-2011, 07:49 PM   #14

Sep 2011
Las Vegas
-

can i buy a foreign ps3 and use that for import movies?
like purchase a european ps3 or hong kong ps3 and
watch those movies? will my us tv play the european format?
long time listener first time caller
Old 01-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #15

Dec 2009
Default Speaking of Regions...

What are BD regions? How do I tell what "Region" my player is? Thanks.
Old 01-14-2012, 04:33 PM   #16

Jul 2007
At the crossroad of Analogue Dr & 2CH Ave

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tripod1 View Post
What are BD regions? How do I tell what "Region" my player is? Thanks.
Depending on where you live, you likely have a BD player reflecting the Region Code on the map above ^^
John - I love the smell of vinyl in the morning!
My personal motto: "Live Life! Leave A Legacy!"
I reserve the right to post as a member. When I post as a Moderator I will select a color depending on my mood!
AudioQuest - Genesis - Harman/Kardon - Marantz Reference - Mogami - Nitty Gritty -- Valab/King

Last edited by Deciazulado; 01-16-2012 at 07:28 AM.
Old 01-15-2012, 07:03 AM   #17

Jan 2012
Australia

Hello tripod on the back of your blu ray player you should have a sticker with a letter either A,B, or C and that is the region your blu ray player is.
Old 02-10-2012, 03:15 PM   #18

Feb 2012
Australia

Does anyone know if there is a region free Blu-ray/DVD player? Does it detract from the experience or give technical issues?
Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 AM   #19
Blu-ray Ninja

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
Does anyone know if there is a region free Blu-ray/DVD player? Does it detract from the experience or give technical issues?
No blu-ray player is region free, per se, out of the box but some players can be modified to be region free. See this thread for some options:

http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=159919
Old 02-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #20

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neku View Post
Hey Neku i use a Philips blu ray player the BDP 3000, to watch my blu rays from america as i live in Australia and we use region B and america uses region A, i have modded my player to region A from region B, and you can do so by following these instructions

[Show spoiler]http://www.avforums.com/forums/blu-ray-dvd-player-multiregion-hacks/1524327-philips-bdp3000-multiregion-bd.html
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray.com > Newbie Discussion