Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Simpsons: The Sixteenth Season (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Devil's Due (Blu-ray)
$19.99
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Grease (Blu-ray)
$4.99
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
8-Film Action Collection (Blu-ray)
$7.99
History of the World: Part I (Blu-ray)
$6.16
The Little Mermaid: Ariel's Beginning / The Little Mermaid II: Return to the Sea (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Old 02-12-2012, 01:23 AM   #1
Expert Member

Feb 2008
USA The Artist (2011) Review

The Artist Blu-ray

The Artist Blu-ray Review

The US blu-ray release of The Artist is now available for preorder at Amazon.com. Nominated for a slew of Academy Awards, including Best Picture, its current release date is April 24th, 2012.

In my opinion, it is one of the very top films of 2011 and deserves the accolades it is receiving. I highly recommend that anyone who hasn't seen this film yet, go see it if it's still in theaters near you or, the next best thing, buy or rent the blu-ray. I've already preordered it.

More information:

IMDb.com: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1655442/

Last edited by Deciazulado; 06-17-2012 at 04:16 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:36 AM   #2
Expert Member

Oct 2010

I'll be very curious about the packaging, but probably day one since the French version won't be very English friendly.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:38 AM   #3
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

If this wins Best Picture (holding onto hope for Hugo), it'll be the first Best Picture winner I haven't seen in theaters since Crash prior to the ceremony. Thank goodness April is looking like a slow month.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Bedroom Theater
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB
VIZIO VSB200
Old 02-12-2012, 01:42 AM   #4
Expert Member

Feb 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Q View Post
If this wins Best Picture (holding onto hope for Hugo), it'll be the first Best Picture winner I haven't seen in theaters since Crash prior to the ceremony. Thank goodness April is looking like a slow month.
Is the reason you haven't seen it that you're not interested in the film or it didn't play theatrically in your area? I can't recall if The Artist received a wider release or not.
Old 02-12-2012, 01:55 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluPix View Post
Is the reason you haven't seen it that you're not interested in the film or it didn't play theatrically in your area? I can't recall if The Artist received a wider release or not.
There's interest but just haven't had the time to make it to see it.
DVD Aficionado - quickdraw_ltd's DVD Collection

Bedroom Theater
Panasonic VIERA TC-L42E3 42-Inch
Sony PlayStation 3 160GB
VIZIO VSB200
Old 02-12-2012, 01:57 AM   #6
Blu-ray Knight

Jan 2011
Michigan

I'm watching this right now. It is cool to see a silent film released in 2011, and in black and white...but I'm not entirely moved by it. However, I'll probably pick it up when it hits 14.99 or so.
Old 02-12-2012, 02:30 AM   #7
Power Member

Jun 2011

Saw this about a month ago and really thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll buy the Blu though, doesn't seem like something I could watch many times, and since it's 4:3 (whatever the theatrical version of this ratio is called, 1.33:1?) and in black and white it's not making a case for an instant must-buy. I may still pick it up anyway just to have it, might be worth having on the shelf in case I have guests who are curious and want to see it.

Jean Dujardin's performance was great here, it's incredible how much emotion they can convey without using any words in this pic. Berenice Bejo was fantastic as well.
"On a long enough timeline, the survival rate for everyone drops to zero." - Tyler Durden
Old 02-12-2012, 02:37 AM   #8

Jan 2010

I've seen this movie twice already, and will definitely pick it up on Day 1. Just an amazing movie.
Old 02-12-2012, 03:27 AM   #9
Blu-ray Samurai

Oct 2011

There better be lossless DTS 7.1 audio!
First, ye rubs something furry t'get a charge...then ye picks yer target...!
Old 02-12-2012, 04:33 AM   #10
Power Member

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by El_Jay View Post
Saw this about a month ago and really thoroughly enjoyed it. Not sure if I'll buy the Blu though, doesn't seem like something I could watch many times, and since it's 4:3 (whatever the theatrical version of this ratio is called, 1.33:1?) and in black and white it's not making a case for an instant must-buy. I may still pick it up anyway just to have it, might be worth having on the shelf in case I have guests who are curious and want to see it.

Jean Dujardin's performance was great here, it's incredible how much emotion they can convey without using any words in this pic. Berenice Bejo was fantastic as well.
Really?

That is curious about the aspect ratio. I mean obviously they were going for a certain stylistic look to make it reminiscent of a certain era, but I could have done without 1.33 on a modern film.

I'm not sure that it impacts whether to buy the blu-ray or not though. I mean do you just stay away from all old (pre 1954) movies that are 1.33?
Old 02-12-2012, 04:53 AM   #11
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
I mean do you just stay away from all old (pre 1954) movies that are 1.33?
Aspect ratio is the least of The Artist's home video marketing hurdles AgentOrange. I mean, here you have a silent* movie...in black and white...full screen...with intertitles...made by an obscure French filmmaker...starring two French performers almost no one stateside has ever seen before. Even if it wins Best Pic (as I'm rooting for it to do), this "arręt incroyable" could take a long time finding its way into some mainstream players.

* Well, mostly.

Last edited by ROclockCK; 02-12-2012 at 04:56 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:04 AM   #12
Contributor

Aug 2007
USA

Interesting to see Sony is handling this release instead of Anchor Bay.
Supporter of Anime and Asian Cinema on Blu-ray
AVC & Dolby TrueHD supporter
Worldwide BR Release Comparison Thread
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #13

Aug 2010
Idaho

Day 1 for me
Old 02-12-2012, 05:11 AM   #14
Power Member

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
Aspect ratio is the least of The Artist's home video marketing hurdles AgentOrange. I mean, here you have a silent* movie...in black and white...full screen...with intertitles...made by an obscure French filmmaker...starring two French performers almost no one stateside has ever seen before. Even if it wins Best Pic (as I'm rooting for it to do), this "arręt incroyable" could take a long time finding its way into some mainstream players.

* Well, mostly.
$55 million+ worldwide box office and counting means it made it into the mainstream.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #15
Power Member

Oct 2011
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentOrange View Post
$55 million+ worldwide box office and counting means it made it into the mainstream.
Barely. In the year 2012, that's really not a lot of dough for a multi-award winner and Oscar contender. But yes, considering the built-in hurdles mentioned above, The Artist has done amazingly well theatrically, and will continue to do so, especially if it plays wider after the awards. For some reticent folks, plain old fashioned curiosity will eventually win them over. Curiosity will also help on video, but the more adamant "no B&W", "no silent", "no full screen", and "no French" renters/buyers will no doubt be apoplectic over this one.

On the other hand, never discount the 'Uggie' factor...
Old 02-12-2012, 05:39 AM   #16
Blu-ray Guru

Sep 2008
Florida

It always kills me hearing about people not buying a blu-ray because a film's black and white, or it's not in an aspect ratio that fills up the screen, etc. As far as I'm concerned, Blu-ray is about preserving the theatrical presentation - and, yes, that includes a black and white silent film with a 1.37:1 aspect ratio. I consider a blu-ray of this film to be of no less value than that of something like "Avatar".

You couldn't pay me to buy this film on DVD. For me, it's going to be all about a high def picture, with proper grain structure, accompanied by a wonderful DTS-HD soundtrack for that sumptuous musical score.
"When I became a man I put away childish things, including the fear of childishness and the desire to be very grown up." - C.S. Lewis

Last edited by Aragorn the Elfstone; 02-12-2012 at 05:52 AM.
Old 02-12-2012, 05:44 AM   #17
Power Member

Jun 2009
Colorado

This movie will look absolutely wonderful on blu ray I can't wait to watch it over and over until I finally get sick of it
Old 02-12-2012, 05:56 AM   #18
Power Member

Feb 2007

I'm not keen at all at spending money on a film that trys to look like it was made in the 20s

Its funny how "found footage" filming is considered a gimmick and a crutch, but making a silent black and white movie in the year 2012 is considered artistic, and groundbreaking. Thats odd, because found footage, when properly used with the right script adds a level of realism to the movie. A silent black and white movie made today will always use that as a crutch first, with any enhancements to the story telling or cinematography secondary

Just goes to show you that no institution, no matter how self promoting or refined they claim to be is above the allure of a well played gimmick.
(0)
Old 02-12-2012, 05:59 AM   #19
Blu-ray Duke

Aug 2007
Tucson Arizona

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluearth View Post
I'm not keen at all at spending money on a film that trys to look like it was made in the 20s

Its funny how "found footage" filming is considered a gimmick and a crutch, but making a silent black and white movie in the year 2012 is considered artistic, and groundbreaking. Thats odd, because found footage, when properly used with the right script adds a level of realism to the movie. A silent black and white movie made today will always use that as a crutch first, with any enhancements to the story telling or cinematography secondary

Just goes to show you that no institution, no matter how self promoting or refined they claim to be is above the allure of a well played gimmick.
/facepalm
Old 02-12-2012, 06:05 AM   #20
Power Member

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROclockCK View Post
Barely. In the year 2012, that's really not a lot of dough for a multi-award winner and Oscar contender. But yes, considering the built-in hurdles mentioned above, The Artist has done amazingly well theatrically, and will continue to do so, especially if it plays wider after the awards. For some reticent folks, plain old fashioned curiosity will eventually win them over. Curiosity will also help on video, but the more adamant "no B&W", "no silent", "no full screen", and "no French" renters/buyers will no doubt be apoplectic over this one.

On the other hand, never discount the 'Uggie' factor...
Since when to Oscar contenders (or even winners) necessarily do well at the box office?

These things are not "hurdles", they are essentially what is driving the curiosity that you speak of. If it were the same players involved, the same script, but instead of a "new" silent film it was a standard color/widescreen release, The Artist probably wouldn't enjoy the same discussion OR the relative success at the box office (obviously, it is no Harry Potter, but it's more than respectable - and some recent Oscar winners have done MUCH worse).

I'm also fairly certain it is already a wide release, if it's in my town it has to be. This a good thing because I planned on catching a matinee tomorrow.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Movies > Blu-ray Movies - North America