Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Blow (Blu-ray)
$4.99
The Last Starfighter (Blu-ray)
$6.96
The Quiet Man (Blu-ray)
$12.99
Frozen Planet (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Big (Blu-ray)
$7.99
Psycho-Pass: The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$96.32
Hugo (Blu-ray)
$4.99
My Big Fat Greek Wedding (Blu-ray)
$6.98
The Spectacular Spider-Man: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Beyond Outrage (Blu-ray)
$12.96
Slap Shot (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Seven (Blu-ray)
$4.99
WCW's Greatest Pay-Per-View Matches, Volume 1 (Blu-ray)
$18.74
Fairy Tail: Part 8 (Blu-ray)
$26.99
Uncle Buck (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Somewhere in Time (Blu-ray)
$10.49
Mallrats (Blu-ray)
$9.96
Rio Grande (Blu-ray)
$14.98
Far and Away (Blu-ray)
$10.49

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers

Old 02-16-2012, 01:58 PM   #1

Oct 2010
Lake worthless, fl
Default Beat my duals with a single $1K MAX

posted this on AVS as well, but thought I would try and get more opinions...

After getting back more from the IRS than I expected, I am looking to "upgrade" from my dual Lava LSP-12's to a single IF thats possible given that I already have duals. First, I think the Lava's are a terrific sub for the price paid ~$575 for two shipped to my house. They have performed exceptionally well for what my family and I need, clean tight bass that very rarely goes past -20 on my AVR (and even that shakes the windows, walls and everything else). However, I know that they are just that, a budget sub that wouldnt be confused with anything in the most recent sub comparisons by Archea and Husker Omaha. So I am wondering if upgrading to a mid-level single would be beneficial. At any rate, here are my requirements...

1. Budget: MAX $1k. Not a penny more. 4 kids at home all wanting something different and a wife clamoring to spend the day at the mall shopping and I'm lucky I can stretch it to 1k.

2. Zero size requirements or constraints

3. Room Dimensions: 15x12 with a 16 foot vaulted ceiling that opens to the kitchen/dining room to the left with a 3 foot wall separating the rooms and a standard hallway to the right. Location is more important here. I HAVE to place them along the wall with my other HT equipment. SO it will be corner loaded (the 3 foot wall), under the center channel (which is where my dual Lava's are currently)

4. Primary use: 90+% either TV or movies (bluray, HDX Vudu). Occasionally, my wife and I get an itch to listen to music while the kids are in school, but not anywhere close to enough time to warrent a musical sub.

5. Listening habits: Once a year (maybe), I will be alone in my house and want to play Tron: Legacy at reference level. the other 360ish days of the year, we are listening to volumes around the -30 range.

6. WAF/Appearance: Plays a role but not important. Meaning, the wife loves the look of the piano black of an Ultra (as do I), but the flat black of most anything else will do.

7. Timeframe: within 6 weeks.

So is there something that will "beat" the duals that I have for the requirements that I posted? If its not going to blow me away, then I will spend my money elsewhere. And please dont even say, get one now and another 6 months from now, as thats probably not in the cards.

Thank you all!
Samsung PN50A650, DirecTv, Yamaha RX-V765, Slim PS3, Home Theater Direct Level 3 LCR, Lava LSP12 sub

Coming soon: Emotiva UPA-5, Monoprice 6.5 inch in ceiling rears, 2nd Lava LSP12
Old 02-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

SVS.com in particular pb-12-nsd 769.00 goes to 20hz and gets exceptional reviews.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:20 PM   #3
Blu-ray Baron

Apr 2009
In the country

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratm View Post
posted this on AVS as well, but thought I would try and get more opinions...

After getting back more from the IRS than I expected, I am looking to "upgrade" from my dual Lava LSP-12's to a single IF thats possible given that I already have duals. First, I think the Lava's are a terrific sub for the price paid ~$575 for two shipped to my house. They have performed exceptionally well for what my family and I need, clean tight bass that very rarely goes past -20 on my AVR (and even that shakes the windows, walls and everything else). However, I know that they are just that, a budget sub that wouldnt be confused with anything in the most recent sub comparisons by Archea and Husker Omaha. So I am wondering if upgrading to a mid-level single would be beneficial. At any rate, here are my requirements...

1. Budget: MAX $1k. Not a penny more. 4 kids at home all wanting something different and a wife clamoring to spend the day at the mall shopping and I'm lucky I can stretch it to 1k.

2. Zero size requirements or constraints

3. Room Dimensions: 15x12 with a 16 foot vaulted ceiling that opens to the kitchen/dining room to the left with a 3 foot wall separating the rooms and a standard hallway to the right. Location is more important here. I HAVE to place them along the wall with my other HT equipment. SO it will be corner loaded (the 3 foot wall), under the center channel (which is where my dual Lava's are currently)

4. Primary use: 90+% either TV or movies (bluray, HDX Vudu). Occasionally, my wife and I get an itch to listen to music while the kids are in school, but not anywhere close to enough time to warrent a musical sub.

5. Listening habits: Once a year (maybe), I will be alone in my house and want to play Tron: Legacy at reference level. the other 360ish days of the year, we are listening to volumes around the -30 range.

6. WAF/Appearance: Plays a role but not important. Meaning, the wife loves the look of the piano black of an Ultra (as do I), but the flat black of most anything else will do.

7. Timeframe: within 6 weeks.

So is there something that will "beat" the duals that I have for the requirements that I posted? If its not going to blow me away, then I will spend my money elsewhere. And please dont even say, get one now and another 6 months from now, as thats probably not in the cards.

Thank you all!

My vote would be......http://www.hsuresearch.com/products/vtf-15h.html

Also, you need to edit your coming soon at the bottom of your sig since you have your 2nd lava
Equipment......Tube tv and Bose speakers.....gotta love it

Last edited by erict; 02-16-2012 at 02:38 PM.
Old 02-16-2012, 02:32 PM   #4
Power Member

May 2011
Earth

Here is a review of the HSU...............

http://www.hometheater.com/content/h...-15h-subwoofer
Old 02-16-2012, 03:15 PM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

Jul 2007

The HSU VTF-15H looks like a great value for the money!

Maybe if you sell, you 2 Lava subs your budget can be stretched to 1350-1400$.

Then you could get dual PB12-NSD for ~1460$ (if there's still a 5% discount after you buy one sub). Or a PB12-Plus for 1399$.

Last edited by Johk; 02-16-2012 at 03:17 PM.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Subwoofers