COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
Inside Llewyn Davis (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Last Action Hero (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Oldboy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Water Life: Planet Water (Blu-ray)
$9.95
Lilo & Stitch / Lilo & Stitch 2: Stitch Has a Glitch (Blu-ray)
$16.09
Sorcerer (Blu-ray)
$19.59
Ghostbusters 1 & 2 Double Pack (Blu-ray)
$19.96
Pacific Rim (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Jaws (Blu-ray)
$7.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Fantasista Doll: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$37.28
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
World War Z 3D (Blu-ray)
$12.18
Mr. Peabody & Sherman (Blu-ray)
$22.99
The Swimmer (Blu-ray)
$17.29
Lake Placid (Blu-ray)
$18.99
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$27.99
The Protector 2 3D (Blu-ray)
$19.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies

Old 01-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #221
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
Has anyone watched a 3-D film at a commercial theater and then later on 3-D BD? If so, was the 3-D the same as in the theater? Was it the same experience?
Two different questions need answers.

1st: Was the 3-D the same as in the theater?

If the 3D movie was digitally presented theatrically, I believe the Blu-ray 3D would have the same encoded information and have the duplication potential for the exact same display image angles on screen.
i.e. It would have the potential for the same 3D viewing experience.

If a 3D film is theatrically projected from a dual film source, a duplicate experience would depend on the quality and precision of the film to video transfer.

2nd: Was the 3-D the same experience?

Depends on the display resolution, field of view and viewing format. i.e. Size of screen, quality of image presented, and type of 3D technology: Matrix 3D =(Active or Passive glasses) and/or it could be better than the theater with the Discrete-3D format = (Two filterless-direct view images).

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)
BD 3D, BD, HD DVD, DVD collection

Last edited by Paul H; 01-29-2012 at 04:11 PM.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:03 PM   #222

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by painted_klown View Post
A lot of great suggestions here everyone.

I really need to start keeping up with this thread.

I have a bit of a stupid question here...Has anyone watched a 3-D film at a commercial theater and then later on 3-D BD? If so, was the 3-D the same as in the theater? Was it the same experience?

I am curious because I have not seen many 3-D movies at the theater due to not having a commercial theater equipped to show then within an hours drive from me.

In fact, I have only seen Shrek 4 and Rio at the theater in 3-D.
Other then the (few) 3-D BDs I own, I have only watched Drive Angry and Final Destination 5 via 3-D streaming on VuDu.
Absolutely it can be, it is for me at least. If you run a projector then once you project it onto a decent screen size (say 110 inches up) then, given a projector will be active shutter and hence 1080p to each eye, that's very close to the 2K you will get from a RealD or an IMAX system, if you go down the DLP route then you even closer start to mimic what an actual cinema does. Course you have the benefit of having total control over the system and getting it just right.

I honestly feel like it's possible to run a system that is equivalent of going to a RealD cinema or a mini-IMAX. Of course you won't be able to compete with an 8 storey IMAX screen, but I feel that outside of fullblown IMAX you can get cinema results at home, probably akin to the level of a mini Digital IMAX (LieMax) at present, not exactly the same but 90% of the effect. And that, quite frankly, is astounding to me.
Active: 120 inch Optoma HD33 DLP FullHD 3D Projector
Passive: 27 inch LG 3D TV
Old 01-29-2012, 11:04 PM   #223
Expert Member

Aug 2009
Iowa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
Two different questions need answers.

1st: Was the 3-D the same as in the theater?

If the 3D movie was digitally presented theatrically, I believe the Blu-ray 3D would have the same encoded information and have the duplication potential for the exact same display image angles on screen.
i.e. It would have the potential for the same 3D viewing experience.

If a 3D film is theatrically projected from a dual film source, a duplicate experience would depend on the quality and precision of the film to video transfer.

2nd: Was the 3-D the same experience?

Depends on the display resolution, field of view and viewing format. i.e. Size of screen, quality of image presented, and type of 3D technology: Matrix 3D =(Active or Passive glasses) and/or it could be better than the theater with the Discrete-3D format = (Two filterless-direct view images).

Paul
Sounds good. Thanks for the thorough and helpful answer, that is exactly what I was wanting to know.
Blu since September 22, 2009.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:41 AM   #224

Apr 2011
Upstate New York

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jack View Post
Absolutely it can be, it is for me at least. If you run a projector then once you project it onto a decent screen size (say 110 inches up) then, given a projector will be active shutter and hence 1080p to each eye, that's very close to the 2K you will get from a RealD or an IMAX system, if you go down the DLP route then you even closer start to mimic what an actual cinema does. Course you have the benefit of having total control over the system and getting it just right.

I honestly feel like it's possible to run a system that is equivalent of going to a RealD cinema or a mini-IMAX. Of course you won't be able to compete with an 8 storey IMAX screen, but I feel that outside of fullblown IMAX you can get cinema results at home, probably akin to the level of a mini Digital IMAX (LieMax) at present, not exactly the same but 90% of the effect. And that, quite frankly, is astounding to me.
I completely agree! What I get now at home with my brand new Epson 5010 ( a $2700 projector!) is equal to what I see in my local cineplex as far as quality of image in 3d! I actually saw TinTin recently and was underwhelmed because the bulb was in need of a replacement at my movie house. It was dim and colorless. What I get with my active glasses is far superior in that one case!

I started in the home theater game back in the laserdisc days....what we now have for a very reasonable price (both gear and discs) is mind blowing!

Also while I like getting 3d movies on blu ray for around $20, I remember in the laserdisc days paying minimum of $30 and up to $100 for a super special edition of a movie! This was analogue and you had to flip those things during the film!

How far it has come.....
Old 02-01-2012, 05:52 AM   #225
Expert Member

Jul 2011

Step Up has the best pop out effects. The dancers actually lean through the tv in certain parts. I love the sunglasses float in the middle of the room when the bad guy in Resident Evil throws them at the camera. In pirates of the Caribbean there's allot or swords pointing at the audiences but the movie is such a disappointment overall, its not worth it.
Old 02-01-2012, 06:32 AM   #226

Jul 2011

There is a new champion in town for best pop out...and it is Transformers Dark of the Moon...no doubt about it.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:57 PM   #227

Jul 2007
Cedar Hill, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinectamaniac View Post
There is a new champion in town for best pop out...and it is Transformers Dark of the Moon...no doubt about it.
Really? To me I think it has more depth and it wasn't in your face pop-out kinda movie.
Old 02-01-2012, 02:58 PM   #228
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by disbthai View Post
Really? To me I think it has more depth and it wasn't in your face pop-out kinda movie.
Played the Blu-ray 3D last night and I agree. But what great native 3D depth it has adding immensely to the the hybrid conversion portions!

Paul
Avatar: "The Annunciation to the Shepherds" Painting by Nicolas Berchem (1680-1683)

Last edited by Paul H; 02-01-2012 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Clarification: "adding immensely to the hybrid conversion portions"
Old 02-04-2012, 12:33 PM   #229

Feb 2012
USA best pop out effect

I think drive angry, final destination 4 and 5 have the best I have seen so far alice in wonderland is good also
Old 02-08-2012, 07:46 AM   #230
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

Right now my Answer is Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas. Hands down. In the roughly 90 minute run time I'd say there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 pop out effects/gags. Some better executed then others but all 3Drific!
Old 02-18-2012, 08:50 AM   #231
Blu-ray Guru

Apr 2010
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red in 3D View Post
Right now my Answer is Harold & Kumar 3D Christmas. Hands down. In the roughly 90 minute run time I'd say there was somewhere in the neighborhood of 35 pop out effects/gags. Some better executed then others but all 3Drific!
Does it make Avatar look Avatarded? :P
Old 02-20-2012, 09:28 AM   #232

Sep 2008

NO pop-outs NO 3D. What a waste by just seeing the depth (as some believes so) and no pop outs. My favorite pop out 3Ds are:

Journey to the center of the earth
FD 4
FD 5
My Bloody Valentine 3D
and almost all IMAX 3Ds

and from depth point of view only the following:
TRANSFORMERS 3
may be because the movies are action packed.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:42 AM   #233

Jan 2012
Sweden

Imo 3D isn't just about pop out. It's about the overall experience.

With that said, pop out should be in every 3D. Doesn't have to be something comin at you, just the feeling that it's outside your screen is enough

The snake in Sammy's Adventure was amazing though. I also think that the graphics look so damn good in 3D... it's something special!
Old 02-20-2012, 11:45 AM   #234

Jan 2012

Well this is the thing, in Sammy, the best thing about the pop-out wasn't necessarily even the 'in your face' moments, because they can get tiring for some, it's more the way the middle ground tended to sit in the negative parallax in front of the screen, combined with the depth of the background this just gave such a wider spectrum of dimensionality, because you didn't have that 'looking through a window' feeling. You don't look through a window in real life, so why should it apply to 3D films? To my mind IMAX does the same thing, there is no 'window' barrier, you just represent stuff how it really appears and that is what looks good IMO.
Active: 120 inch Optoma HD33 DLP FullHD 3D Projector
Passive: 27 inch LG 3D TV

Last edited by Captain Jack; 02-20-2012 at 11:48 AM.
Old 02-20-2012, 12:09 PM   #235

Feb 2012

My top 5 POP Outs and ive seen everything:

Journey to Centre of the Earth
IMAX Under the Sea
Yogi Bear
Bolt
Saw 3D was really good dunno why it doesnt get more praise.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:56 PM   #236
Power Member

Jul 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanestatham View Post
Saw 3D was really good dunno why it doesnt get more praise.
Too real looking in 3D. Couldn't get passed that first cutting scene.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:08 PM   #237

Apr 2011

Just watched MBV in 3D ... great pop in that one! The kills looked great .. way better than in plain old 2D
LG 42LW550T, Panny DMP-BDT310, Onkyo TX-SR507, Energy Take Connoisseur Classic
Old 02-23-2012, 01:37 AM   #238
Special Member

Aug 2011
Earth

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmdragon View Post
Does it make Avatar look Avatarded? :P
I'd say so though I haven't watched Avatar yet so what do I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nizyo View Post
Imo 3D isn't just about pop out. It's about the overall experience.
Of course it "isn't just about pop out" but the pop outs are what I tend to remember the most from a 3D movie.
Old 02-24-2012, 02:04 AM   #239

Dec 2011
Vienna, VA

Journey to the Center should be in the top 5 for pop out. A great movie to watch also, especially with kids.
LG 55LW5300 + PS3 + Onkyo 609 + KEF speakers
Old 02-24-2012, 10:01 AM   #240

Jan 2012
Default Mixed Bag !!!

I own the LG 65LW500 ( 65 inch passive 3d ) TV.
Using this in combination with the Panasonic BT310 dual hdmi 3D player
And Dennon AVR 750 7.1

My viewing distance is exactly 7 ft. from the TV.

I own most available 3d Blu Ray movies... only leaving out a few because I felt it's not something I would enjoy. Eg...Smurfs , Gnomeo & Juliet.

I will say that most all the 3D movies I have seem to utilize the 3d depth perception more than any ( pop out feature )

I also have DVR'D just about every IMAX movie on 3net including the movies
Under the Sea , Deep Sea , Hubble and Space Station.

Based on the movies I have watched at the Movie Theater vs what I own on Blu Ray 3D, I can clearly say that my home experience far out preforms my local movie theater when it comes to 3d enjoyment.

The Theater chain in my area of Memphis TN is ( MALCO THEATERS )
This is considered the premier Theater of choice in my area which is basically a Multiplex of 10 or more Screens.

When a movie comes out in 3D it usually is given the largest screen within the multiplex , stadium type seating for about 300+

I have yet to view a 3D movie that WOW'ed me at any Malco Theater.

This would include Avatar , Resident Evil , and Toys 3

I seriously thought prior to my purchase of 3D home theater that I was among the few that just can not see 3D , I thought it was my eyes.

But BD 3D has changed all that. The source material isn't always at fault when reviewing 3D content. I firmly believe that the Movie Theater is at fault for negative reviews of source material and home displays can be just as easy at fault.

I watched CONAN in 3D at the Theater and thought this is RUBBISH no 3D at all. When watched at home on my set up... it was if I was seeing this the way it was intended. Not saying the Movie story was any better thats to each their own. I am saying the 3D conversion was nicely done.

It was as if looking at the movie through a View Master Click and although not much in the way of POP outs.. the movie did present a sense of Depth that just wasn't achieved at my local Theater.

Malco Theater uses a passive technology which is not standard to RealD passive glasses. I know cause I took a pair with me and it didn't work.
They chose to use Dolby Digital 3D. The glasses are heavier and darken the image by 20%. The effect is less than minimal and leaves movie goers thinking they have been robbed by the ticket price.

I did find myself slipping the glasses down past my nose just to see if the movie was 2d or 3d.

It wasn't just Conan, Movies like Avatar , Journey 1 , Immortals all produced the same effect when viewed at Malco Theaters.

The 3D Movie Credits and End Credits seems to be the only effect in 3D

It may be different in other theaters around the nation but... here in Memphis the same Dolby Digital 3D glasses are used at all 3D outings. Shame.

Pop out features in 3D are great, alot of people mentioned the Fish in IMAX movie Under the Sea. This is great reference material and yes it looks amazing. I also think that scene last only 20 seconds.

Best Buy and HHgregg in my area use that disk to sell 3D TV's to new customers. They know that the POP out FISH gets them every time.

Imagine : A person makes a purchase decision of 1500.00 to 4500.00 for a new 3D TV all because of a COD FISH they saw for 20 Seconds in the store.

It's a shame that when these people get home they can not find any other source material to reproduce that IN STORE FEELING of that Fish.

IMAX movies are not the same as HOLLYWOOD block buster movies.
At most they are 45 mins of documentaries that are filmed with a Very expensive 3D camera.

Every one on here says Avatar was the 1st breakthrough 3D movie.

But they are wrong. the 3D movie that used GREAT POP OUT effects
isn't even out on Blu Ray 3D.

Anyone remember ... Beowulf in 2007 ?
This had awesome POP out 3D effects. More than any recent movie to date.

Polar Express in 2004 , and Chicken Little 2005, Monster House 2006
all of these were out before AVATAR, and all of them used POP out 3D effects where AVATAR is just a 3Depth Experience.

I'm not saying AVATAR isn't a beautiful piece of cinema photography.
But its not a Spear in your Face , or a baseball coming at you to make you duck for cover.

Isn't is funny how all 3D marketing is about in your FACE POP OUTS but nothing seems to fit that bill when you buy into the whole 3D experience.

Universal Studios : with Spiderman and Shrek commercials showing the 3D characters coming out of the screen into the audience.

This is what the majority of people when adopting to 3D format is looking for its quite a shame the best the Market has to offer is a Avatar Blu Ray which is so over inflated on EBAY it's out of reach.

Getting a bare bones copy from Panasonic takes 8-14 weeks and only if you buy a 200.00 Panasonic product first.

My TV and Blu Ray player both Up Convert 2d to 3d and to be honest some of the conversions actually look as good as some Blu Ray 3D disk.

Well.. enough ranting... 3D depth and 3D pop out are two forms of 3D
Unfortunately the Depth seems to win in the 3D war.

In leaving... I will say your HOME THEATER can be a better experience than your Theater experience ... but I realize not everyone with 3D TV has a 65 inch or bigger. I can't imagine the experience would be that great with a smaller size TV unless your TV is in a completely PITCH BLACK room tricking your eyes to think the source being displayed is the only image in the room.

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > 3D > 3D Blu-ray Movies