Best Blu-ray Deals

Black Friday Week is Live, $3.99 Blu-ray Movies »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Lord of the Rings: The Motion Picture Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$29.99
22 hrs ago
Chef (Blu-ray)
$9.99
16 hrs ago
Rain Man (Blu-ray)
$3.99

The Purge: Anarchy (Blu-ray)
$9.99
11 hrs ago
A Million Ways to Die in the West (Blu-ray)
$9.99
22 hrs ago
X-Men: First Class (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Person of Interest: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$14.99

X-Men: Days of Future Past (Blu-ray)
$9.99

The Princess Bride (Blu-ray)
$3.99
17 hrs ago
Rise of the Planet of the Apes (Blu-ray)
$3.99

Lone Survivor (Blu-ray)
$7.99

The Avengers (Blu-ray)
$9.99

Star Trek: The Next Generation, Season 4 (Blu-ray)
$27.75
21 min ago

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers

Old 01-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #1201

Apr 2008
US - PA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
I was thinking that too.. Is the CS 8060 that much better than the 8040? Does the sub in that center really make a big difference?
I can't make an assessment there as I have not heard either of them, but any inclusion of a subwoofer in one of these systems is generally a good thing. I too am in the market for the 8060 center. If you happen to have a Best Buy Magnolia near you (and it in stock), I'd go and give her a listen.
TV: Samsung UN60ES7100 BD Player: Sony BDP-S590 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1018
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP8B Fronts, Definitive Technology CS-8060HD Center, Definitive Technology SR-8080 Surrounds & Rear Surrounds SUB: BIC America F-12 & Sony SA-WM40
Remote: Logitech Harmony 550
Old 01-23-2012, 09:14 PM   #1202
Power Member

Jan 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinokev View Post
I can't make an assessment there as I have not heard either of them, but any inclusion of a subwoofer in one of these systems is generally a good thing. I too am in the market for the 8060 center. If you happen to have a Best Buy Magnolia near you (and it in stock), I'd go and give her a listen.
I did go there and listened to it. They didn't have the 8040 so I couldn't compare.. The martin logan motion 8 sounded good too,but quite a bit brighter..
Old 01-23-2012, 09:56 PM   #1203

Jan 2012

hi.im just new to this site. i have been a deftech user for 2years now. have the following in my small room
FS bp8
procenter 2000
surround bp2x
rear sr8040
sub -supercube 2

driving this speakers is my marantz sr8001. i have to let go of my sc2 and bp8 for personal reason. but will upgrade in the future for a higher end unit of deftech.

i don't know if this is the proper quorum but i would like to ask if anyone or anybody have compared or heard side by side the svs pb12snd and the supercube2...i have asked this to other siites, but most of them go for svs. as per the specs from deftech's site, the sc2 is smaller,compact and have more power and can go lower, 14hz. but there is no response that says it can go lower than -3db...
its quite sad that there is no deftech dealer in my country (philippnes), for them to see and here how deftech performs and most of them go for other brands...(im working in the middle east)....thanks and more power.
Old 01-24-2012, 06:44 PM   #1204
Power Member

Jan 2012

This forum is pretty dead..
Old 01-24-2012, 07:27 PM   #1205
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goat1 View Post
This forum is pretty dead..
Just put some jumper cables on the studs on its neck, hook it up to a truck battery, and it's good to go. Works every time.
Old 01-26-2012, 07:38 AM   #1206
Expert Member

Aug 2007
Wellington, NZ

Looking at upgrading my current Mission system and didn't know it but can actually get Def Tech in NZ, which is awesome. Looking at a system consisting of the Mythos 4, Mythos 7 or 3 and the GEM XL. Can't find reviews ANYWHERE from the Mythos 4, can anyone point me in the direction of some, or at least give some thoughts onto the speakers?

Will be driven with Emotiva UPA-2.
Looking for a copy of: Metallica: FranÁais pour une nuit
Old 01-31-2012, 05:31 AM   #1207

Jul 2011
Columbus,Ohio

thought I would resurrect this thread with a vid of my 8060-st towers playing some music...

check out my other vids for more...enjoy!...also be sure to use enclosed earphones for a better sound
Deftech 8060-ST Towers-8060-CS center and 2 Pro Monitor 800's....Doin What I Do Best...LIVIN!

Last edited by josh6113; 01-31-2012 at 05:35 AM.
Old 02-07-2012, 10:19 AM   #1208
Power Member

Apr 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh6113 View Post
thought I would resurrect this thread with a vid of my 8060-st towers playing some music...

music on my deftech 8060-st's - YouTube

check out my other vids for more...enjoy!...also be sure to use enclosed earphones for a better sound
Those are what I just recently bought and I love them

Within the next couple of weeks, after I get a new TV stand, I plan on getting the 8060 Center channel, then the bookshelves (still undecided) eventually after that.

And even though I probably don't need it, I may eventually get the SC4000
My FS/FT/WANT Thread!
Panasonic Plasma 65" VT60
Pioneer Elite VSX-52
Definitive Technology BP-8060 (x2)
Definitive Technology CS-8060
Definitive Technology SM-55 (x2)
Definitive Technology SR-8040P (x2)
PS3 / PS4
Old 02-07-2012, 06:24 PM   #1209

Apr 2008
US - PA
Default Replace BDSS Driver with newer version ?

I have a pair of BP8B fronts and was wondering if these are made to easily replace the primary speakers with the newer BDSS speakers introduced in their 2010 Bipolar series.

Can you even buy the individual components ?

Just curious...
TV: Samsung UN60ES7100 BD Player: Sony BDP-S590 Receiver: Pioneer VSX-1018
Speakers: Definitive Technology BP8B Fronts, Definitive Technology CS-8060HD Center, Definitive Technology SR-8080 Surrounds & Rear Surrounds SUB: BIC America F-12 & Sony SA-WM40
Remote: Logitech Harmony 550

Last edited by kevinokev; 02-07-2012 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:43 AM   #1210

Jul 2010
St Charles, Il.
Cool Placement of BP 2's...

I found an old pair of BP 2 surrounds in the basement. I used them 10 years ago as front effect speakers for my old Yamaha receiver. I'm considering using them as rear surrounds until I track down some used BPVX's as I convert my system from 5.1 to 7.1 in the near future. How would you place them? The BP 2's are square with the speakers aimed away from each other. How should they be mounted?
Sony KDS60A2000; Denon AVR4311ci; Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2; Denon 5910; Sony BDP-S570; Toshiba HD-XA2; Def Tech BP2000's, C/L/R2000, BPVX's, BPX's and 2 Supercube I's...
Old 03-02-2012, 04:47 PM   #1211

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinokev View Post
I have a pair of BP8B fronts and was wondering if these are made to easily replace the primary speakers with the newer BDSS speakers introduced in their 2010 Bipolar series.

Can you even buy the individual components ?

Just curious...
You can, but you would be better off buying completely new speakers, since you would have to replace the drivers, and crossover networks as well, and that would be expensive.
SHARP Aquos LC70LE640U
Denon AVR-4311ci, Emotiva IPS-1
APC H15 Power Conditioner
PS3, Nintendo Wii, XBOX 360 Elite
Dell Inspiron 660 HTPC
SVS PB13-Ultra Subwoofer on a Great Gramma
Def Tech CLR 3000, BP7001SC, BPX, BP10, BP2X
Harmony One
Old 03-02-2012, 05:01 PM   #1212

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobra5wood View Post
I found an old pair of BP 2 surrounds in the basement. I used them 10 years ago as front effect speakers for my old Yamaha receiver. I'm considering using them as rear surrounds until I track down some used BPVX's as I convert my system from 5.1 to 7.1 in the near future. How would you place them? The BP 2's are square with the speakers aimed away from each other. How should they be mounted?
I have BP1'S and 2's. If they are on the back wall, have the blank spot to back of your head - the speakers firing along the wall. You will get an excellent dispersed sound but you will also get natural directional ques - my rears have stayed in my system longer than any speaker. I will take some pics today so you can see it.
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; 03-02-2012 at 05:03 PM.
Old 03-03-2012, 12:15 AM   #1213

Aug 2009
Default Speaker Damage

I have a question for all the experts here. I came home from work today and my wife told me that she had a problem with my stereo set up. By problem she meant she d%!@ near blew my speakers. I just recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-57 receiver and she was trying to figure how to use airplay with her iphone and computer. She said that she couldnít get any sound to come out of the speakers (which are Def Tec BP8060ST), so she looked to the volume of the receiver which said 0.0db. She thought that meant she had to turn it up some more. Long story short her itunes on her laptop with airplay was all the way up which set the receiver to 0.0db. The reason she wasnít getting any sound was because it was set to two channel stereo and the Emotiva XPA-2 amp wasnít on. As soon as she figured out that the blue light on the Emotiva wasnít on, she turned it on. Iím sure that I donít have to explain what happened after that. Fortunately she turned it down immediately once she figured out the problem.

Sorry for the long explanation. My question is do you think this did any major damage to my front channel speakers. I have been sampling several audio tracks and sources to see if there is any noticeable rattling or distortion. So far everything sounds good. I normally donít play music sources much louder than -25db. Is there anything else that I should look for or test for to ensure that my Def Tec BP8060STís arenít destroyed? Thank you in advance any help or guidance.
Old 03-04-2012, 08:05 PM   #1214

Jul 2010
St Charles, Il.
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
I have BP1'S and 2's. If they are on the back wall, have the blank spot to back of your head - the speakers firing along the wall. You will get an excellent dispersed sound but you will also get natural directional ques - my rears have stayed in my system longer than any speaker. I will take some pics today so you can see it.
How did you mount the BP2's to the wall?
Sony KDS60A2000; Denon AVR4311ci; Emotiva XPA-5 and XPA-2; Denon 5910; Sony BDP-S570; Toshiba HD-XA2; Def Tech BP2000's, C/L/R2000, BPVX's, BPX's and 2 Supercube I's...
Old 03-05-2012, 12:09 AM   #1215

Dec 2007

My son and I were flea market shopping and this is what he scored:
Def tech BP8's, C1 center, yamaha receiver and cd player for ..... $100.00 for the whole package

I almost bought it but my son needed it (so I could have my Snells back
) I found a few vintage items myself!!!!
Klipsch Cornwall L/R, Klipsch Heresy center, Definitive Technology BP2's (x4) rear, Wharfedale sw380 Subs (x2), SVS 16-46 CS (X2) 2-8 inch transmission line Subs (rear), Yamaha power Amps mx830 (x2), Adcom 5503 3 channel power amp, Behringer EP4000 Power amp, BD HTPC, Xonar Essence ST/H6 modified Burson Supreme Discreet Opamps, Da-lite 16:9 106" Screen, BenQ 3D Projector, LG 55 inch LED TV.

Last edited by prerich; 03-05-2012 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-05-2012, 01:05 AM   #1216
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerich View Post
My son and I were flea market shopping and this is what he scored:
Def tech BP8's, C1 center, yamaha receiver and cd player for ..... $100.00 for the whole package

I almost bought it but my son needed it (so I could have my Snells back
) I found a view vintage items myself!!!!
Unreal...don't buy any lottery tickets, you just used up all your luck. Was it at the end of a rainbow or something?
Old 03-05-2012, 01:18 AM   #1217
Blu-ray Samurai

Dec 2007
Lancaster, CA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pigpen8304 View Post
I have a question for all the experts here. I came home from work today and my wife told me that she had a problem with my stereo set up. By problem she meant she d%!@ near blew my speakers. I just recently purchased a Pioneer Elite SC-57 receiver and she was trying to figure how to use airplay with her iphone and computer. She said that she couldnít get any sound to come out of the speakers (which are Def Tec BP8060ST), so she looked to the volume of the receiver which said 0.0db. She thought that meant she had to turn it up some more.
I can't read anymore. I just can't take it. It's like watching a school bus stuck on a train track...and the guard arms are trying to come down, and the light are blinking, and the bells are going ding ding ding...but it's a kind of horrid fascination...all the little faces at the windows...I have to peek...

Quote:
Long story short her itunes on her laptop with airplay was all the way up which set the receiver to 0.0db. The reason she wasnít getting any sound was because it was set to two channel stereo and the Emotiva XPA-2 amp wasnít on. As soon as she figured out that the blue light on the Emotiva wasnít on, she turned it on. Iím sure that I donít have to explain what happened after that. Fortunately she turned it down immediately once she figured out the problem.
This usually winds up with serious case of eyeball bulge, hair standing on end, and in really major episodes, a mess on the floor. Is she OK? Just take her outside, rinse her off with the garden hose (use the high pressure nozzle, it saves time), and give her a reassuring hug and kiss. She'll be OK after a week or two.

Quote:
Sorry for the long explanation. My question is do you think this did any major damage to my front channel speakers. I have been sampling several audio tracks and sources to see if there is any noticeable rattling or distortion. So far everything sounds good. I normally donít play music sources much louder than -25db. Is there anything else that I should look for or test for to ensure that my Def Tec BP8060STís arenít destroyed? Thank you in advance any help or guidance.
If it sounds OK, it should be good - but listen to some treble-heavy music to see if the tweeters took a hit. It's not immediately obvious, you have to listen carefully. Sometimes it's the tweeters themselves, and sometimes the crossover - but be listening to high pitched sounds. Mids and woofers can take a lot of pressure, it's crossovers and tweeters that are the weak points.

Good luck, and if the wife slaps the crap out of you after you skeet her with the hose, that's just a normal method of releasing the tension - don't worry about it. Happens all the time.
Old 03-05-2012, 02:52 AM   #1218

Dec 2007

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blu-Dog View Post
Unreal...don't buy any lottery tickets, you just used up all your luck. Was it at the end of a rainbow or something?
I just came from his house, and they sound great!!!!! I picked up a pair of AR M series (holographic series) bookshelves and they also sound surprisingly good with the aid of a sub, the BP8's need no sub at all! I also picked up a conversation piece....a pioneer multi cassette changer! We saw a pair of paradigm monitor 7 se 's in very good condition for $100, but he would have taken $75
Old 03-05-2012, 02:55 AM   #1219

Dec 2007

Quote:
Only one thing wrong with the def techs - they need new socks, other than that - sonically perfect!
Old 03-05-2012, 06:48 AM   #1220

Aug 2009

Quote:
I can't read anymore. I just can't take it. It's like watching a school bus stuck on a train track...and the guard arms are trying to come down, and the light are blinking, and the bells are going ding ding ding...but it's a kind of horrid fascination...all the little faces at the windows...I have to peek...

This usually winds up with serious case of eyeball bulge, hair standing on end, and in really major episodes, a mess on the floor. Is she OK? Just take her outside, rinse her off with the garden hose (use the high pressure nozzle, it saves time), and give her a reassuring hug and kiss. She'll be OK after a week or two.

If it sounds OK, it should be good - but listen to some treble-heavy music to see if the tweeters took a hit. It's not immediately obvious, you have to listen carefully. Sometimes it's the tweeters themselves, and sometimes the crossover - but be listening to high pitched sounds. Mids and woofers can take a lot of pressure, it's crossovers and tweeters that are the weak points.

Good luck, and if the wife slaps the crap out of you after you skeet her with the hose, that's just a normal method of releasing the tension - don't worry about it. Happens all the time.
Thanks for the advice. I didnít have to get the hose out. I just bit my tongue and cried in the corner.

I've been listening to the speakers very carefully over the last few days with high treble. Everything seems to be fine. After fooling around with the advanced settings on the Pioneer Elite SC-57, I figured out how to set a max volume, which is now set to -15db. Lesson learned.
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers