COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
Flatliners (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Batman: The Dark Knight Returns (Blu-ray)
$11.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Spider-Man 3 (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
Breaking Bad: The Final Season (Blu-ray)
$20.98
Red vs. Blue: RVBX: Ten Years of Red vs. Blue (Blu-ray)
$53.99
Anaconda (Blu-ray)
$5.19
2010: The Year We Make Contact (Blu-ray)
$6.36
3 Days to Kill (Blu-ray)
$14.99
RoboCop (Blu-ray)
$14.99
The Shawshank Redemption (Blu-ray)
$5.99
Upotte!!: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.99
Game of Thrones - The Complete First Season (Blu-ray)
$44.42
The Legend of Korra - Book Two: Spirits (Blu-ray)
$19.99
The Bourne Legacy (Blu-ray)
$6.96
Hell On Wheels: The Complete Third Season (Blu-ray)
$27.99

Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders

Old 10-27-2011, 03:12 PM   #1
Blu-ray Samurai

May 2011
Youngstown, Ohio
Default Sony BDP-S580 Screen Format Setting Question

Which screen format setting should I choose: Original or Fixed Aspect Ratio?

I have a Sony KDL60NX720 3D LED HDTV.

Original: select when connected to a TV with a wide mode function; displays a 4:3 screen picture
in 16:9 aspect ratio even on a wide-screen TV

Fixed Aspect Ratio: changes the picture size to fit the screen size with the original picture aspect ratio
Old 10-27-2011, 07:58 PM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2009
New York

For a while I couldn't figure that out either and I had a number of email conversations with Sony tech support, who didn't know what the hell they were talking about.

I asked them to explain each setting to me as their descriptions make absolutely no sense. I bet their user guides were written by some contractor who knows nothing about HDTV and/or they were poorly translated from Japanese.

But it was like talking to a fish.

I think the reason I originally contacted them was because I couldn't get 1.33:1 movies to display at 1:33:1 on my wide screen Sony. They wanted me to change the resolution of the player (or the TV) to 480i. That got me completely enraged. I wrote something like, "why would you ever tell anybody who just spent a lot of money on an HDTV to lower their resolution so that they're no longer watching HDTV."

But I think I finally figured out that Original was the proper setting. Ignore the description. At most resolutions with a wide screen TV, Original/Fixed makes no difference anyway.

Sony might make a great TV and an okay BD player, but their tech support is completely incompetent (and they don't know how to read.) In the end, they stopped responding to my emails.
loose="not tight", lose="can't find it, doesn't have anymore" or the opposite of "win".
their="belongs to", there="place", they're="they are", there's = "there is"
it's="it is", for everything else use "its"
then="after", than="compared with"
"a lot" not "alot"

A Guide to Spelling and Punctuation
Old 10-27-2011, 10:18 PM   #3
Banned

Aug 2011

I believe Fixed Aspect Ratio is the proper option. At least that's what I have it set to and it automatically adjusts the picture to the right ratio.
Old 02-15-2012, 02:44 AM   #4

Feb 2010
Nashville

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rodyon Raskolnikov View Post
I believe Fixed Aspect Ratio is the proper option. At least that's what I have it set to and it automatically adjusts the picture to the right ratio.
I fooled w/ this setting tonight and searched here to see what others thought about this labeling.

Rodyon is correct, if you want to see the correct aspect ratio.

If you select "Original" it is impossible to see the program in it's original 4x3 ratio. It will be stretched. You can toggle through your TVs aspect ratio, but you will not be able to see it in 4x3.

The name is not clear. When you select Fixed Aspect Ratio, you can see the full 4x3 image.
Old 02-15-2012, 03:22 PM   #5
Special Member

Jun 2007
Sunshine State

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Stooges View Post
I fooled w/ this setting tonight and searched here to see what others thought about this labeling.

Rodyon is correct, if you want to see the correct aspect ratio.

If you select "Original" it is impossible to see the program in it's original 4x3 ratio. It will be stretched. You can toggle through your TVs aspect ratio, but you will not be able to see it in 4x3.
The name is not clear. When you select Fixed Aspect Ratio, you can see the full 4x3 image.
I have my S770 set to original and last night I watched Beavis and Butthead Vol.4 and it displayed it correctly at 4X3.
Old 02-21-2012, 12:56 AM   #6

Feb 2012
Default language

My sony BDP S580 has stopped playing in English. It will play in French or Spanish. Even doing factory reset has made no difference. Any ideas?
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Blu-ray > Blu-ray Players and Recorders