COLLECT WATCH TRACK RATE REVIEW APP
Manage your own movie collection and always keep it with you with our Apps. Price track movies and get price drop notifications instantly. Become a member to take full advantage of all site features.
GET STARTED

Best Blu-ray Deals

Best Blu-ray Deals, See All the Deals »
Top deals | Price drops  
 All countries United States United Kingdom Canada Germany France Spain Italy Japan
The Dark Knight Trilogy (Blu-ray)
$38.99
The Legend of Billie Jean (Blu-ray)
$5.19
Batman: The Complete Series (Blu-ray)
$189.99
Man of Steel Exclusive Action Figure Gift Set (Blu-ray)
$14.99
Man of Steel Limited Collector's Edition (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Signal (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Freezing: Anime Classics Season 1 (Blu-ray)
$22.99
Little House on the Prairie: Season Three (Blu-ray)
$24.99
Los Angeles Kings: 2014 Stanley Cup Champions (Blu-ray)
$18.99
God's Not Dead (Blu-ray)
$17.29
The Wolf of Wall Street (Blu-ray)
$9.99
Nymphomaniac: Volumes I and II (Blu-ray)
$17.99
To Love Ru Darkness: Complete Collection (Blu-ray)
$34.49
Hercules 3D (Blu-ray)
$24.99
The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (Blu-ray)
$22.99
My Week with Marilyn (Blu-ray)
$5.00
Marvel Bundle (Blu-ray)
$64.99
The Big Chill (Blu-ray)
$27.59
Mr. Peabody & Sherman 3D (Blu-ray)
$30.98
Old 02-20-2012, 02:07 AM   #1

Jul 2011
Default Best Amp-free Soundbar

Can anyone recommend the best Soundbar system that can be used without an amp? I'm eyeing the b&W Panorama. Can anyone vouch for the sound on that - even though it doesn't have HDMI? Or can someone bring up a good alternative?
Old 02-20-2012, 02:52 AM   #2
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogenic View Post
Can anyone recommend the best Soundbar system that can be used without an amp? I'm eyeing the b&W Panorama. Can anyone vouch for the sound on that - even though it doesn't have HDMI? Or can someone bring up a good alternative?
Soundbar reviews: http://www.hometheater.com/category/soundbar-reviews

I know you have your eye on the B&W soundbar, but the lower cost models review pretty well too( Vizio, Insignia, Polk ).
Check out these ZVox models:
http://www.zvoxaudio.com/cgi-bin/cat...t&item=4004302
http://www.zvoxaudio.com/cgi-bin/item/400430x

Also go with a 46" or 50" TV, instead of 32"-40".
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 02-20-2012, 03:01 AM   #3
Banned

Oct 2007
Michigan

I may look into that Insignia from your link for my kitchen TV
Old 02-20-2012, 09:54 PM   #4

Jul 2011

Thanks for the links. How would the B&W Zeppelin compare to some of the lower priced soundbars?
Old 02-21-2012, 05:09 AM   #5
Blu-ray Guru

May 2008
Columbus, Ohio

Quote:
Originally Posted by Photogenic View Post
Thanks for the links. How would the B&W Zeppelin compare to some of the lower priced soundbars?
I really don't know, but I hope it would be better for around $2000. A couple thousand is serious coin for a soundbar[ that could get you a nice little stereo system( Integrated Amp/pair of speakers or Stereo receiver/pair of speakers ) ]. Your best bet is to dig in & do your research & go demoing, to find out. Thoroughly read all the reviews I linked. I wouldn't shy away from the lower priced options( they all got great reviews ). The Insignia includes Audyssey audio processing( Audyssey EQ, Dynamic EQ, Dynamic Volume, BassXTfeatures ). The Vizio's include SRS audio processing( TruSurround HD, WOW HD, TruVolume ). I like the ZVOX( http://www.zvoxaudio.com/ ) options, any of their offerings would be a good solution.

"So it's a very good sound bar, for the price of a decent 5.1 system. If you're keen to get rid of wires, and money's no object, it's worth considering, but with other quality soundbars such as Yamaha's YSP-40D or Marantz's ES7001 offering nearly as good a sound for a little over half as much, you really should try before you buy. "
from: http://www.avreview.co.uk/news/article/mps/uan/2996

"There are a lot of uneducated and, more importantly, inexperienced groups of buyers convincing themselves that a home theater in a box is good enough, or that the speakers built into their TV sound just fine. They're not and they don't. Products like this exist for a reason; it's to give you a better sense of what was recorded in the studio. If you're a music and/or film buff and you're using the speakers in your TV, you're cutting the experience in half. You don't necessarily need to drop $2,000 for a soundbar, but for those who want the best, the Panorama is your huckleberry. Is the performance of the Panorama twice that of $1,000 soundbars? You bet."
from: http://hometheaterreview.com/bowers-...aker-reviewed/

I see your room is small from the pics in your gallery, but putting a soundbar where your TV is currently located, may not provide the best sound. The B&W Panorama & most other soundbars, use sound reflection off side walls for the surround effect. It looks like the right side drivers on a soundbar would be firing right into your bookshelf, interfering with normal operation.
LIVING ROOM: Panasonic TC-P65V10, SONY BDP-S5000ES, SONY STR-DA5300ES, Emotiva XPA-5, Def Tech(BP2006 x 2, C/L/R2300, BP2X x 2, BP1.2X x 2)
BEDROOM: SONY KDL-52XBR5, OPPO BDP-103, Pioneer Elite SC-63, Energy(RC-LCR x 3), Paradigm(ADP-190 x 2), SVS PC12-PLUS

"What is dead may never die..."
Old 02-21-2012, 07:13 AM   #6

Jul 2011

I wish the sound on TVs were improving instead of declining. I'd rather have a monitor with great sound that's thick and heavy than a thin and light screen with shallow or no sound.

What about the B&W Zeppelin? you know, the iPhone dock. How would the sound on that compare to a soundbar?
Old 02-24-2012, 02:27 AM   #7

Jul 2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZIPPO View Post
The B&W Panorama & most other soundbars, use sound reflection off side walls for the surround effect. It looks like the right side drivers on a soundbar would be firing right into your bookshelf, interfering with normal operation.
if I would set the soundbar to stereo would it be a problem?
Old 02-25-2012, 03:48 AM   #8

Feb 2012
Waterford, MI

We sell the Panorama and Zeppelin and they are both fantastic options. At first glance the price of the panorama looks like too much but when you consider the fact that you don't need a receiver, or a subwoofer, it makes more sense. I say go for it!!!!! It will probably be the next thing I buy for my 2nd tv room.
EPSON 3010 3d Projector Receiver: Pioneer Elite VSX-52 Fronts: B&W CM8 Wenge Center: B&W CM Center Wenge Rears: B&W CM1 Wenge Sub: ENERGY ESW-C10 Cables: AudioQuest Chocolate Remote: Harmony ONE Power Manager: Panamax M4300

2 channel music room: Vintage (BEAST)!! Pioneer SX-1050 Martin Logan Motion 12's Turntable Coming Soon! CD player: Playstation 1 (SCPH-1001)
Go Back   Blu-ray Forum > Audio > Speakers